Looking for DIY information in Japan

bonsai3s

We were able to get great responses from experienced CC member on our recent Med cruise...perhaps there are CC members out there that can share their DIY experience in Osaka and Yokohama.

1. Would you stay in Osaka, or would you take the train to Kyoto? How far is the nearest train station from the pier? What is the cost of a roundtrip ticket?

2. What would be your Top 3 sites in Osaka or Kyoto?

(Love to visit palaces, shrines, and gardens.)

3. We are planning on taking the train from Yokohama to Tokyo (directly to the Emperial Palace). How far is the nearest train station from the pier? What is the cost of the roundtrip ticket?

4. What would be your Top 3 sites in Yokohama or Tokyo?

(Looking for the same things here...palaces, shrines, gardens.)

We'll be in Osaka 7am to 8pm, and in Yokohama 7am to 6pm. Thank you in advance for everyone's help. :)

We were able to get great responses from experienced CC member on our recent Med cruise...perhaps there are CC members out there that can share their DIY experience in Osaka and Yokohama.

1. Would you stay in Osaka, or would you take the train to Kyoto? How far is the nearest train station from the pier? What is the cost of a roundtrip ticket?

3. We are planning on taking the train from Yokohama to Tokyo (directly to the Emperial Palace). How far is the nearest train station from the pier? What is the cost of the roundtrip ticket?

We'll be in Osaka 7am to 8pm, and in Yokohama 7am to 6pm. Thank you in advance for everyone's help. :)

Go to Kyoto.

Use Google maps and click on the transit icon. This will give you the times and prices from any 2 points in Japan. The fares vary a lot depending on what line you use and the cheaper one might be only 5 minutes longer.

Top sights depend on your tastes. Golden temple, Silver Temple usually are at the top of most lists. The Gion Geisha area nearby the silver temple is nice if you like walking. There are lots of gardens scattered about the city if you like that sort of thing.

There are a lot of temples in Kyoto and it is easy to get "templed out". You do have a chance of spotting a geisha in Kyoto though.

Osaka recommendations - Osaka Castle and Dotonbori area. There a long covered shopping area and you can have lunch at "dragon" ramen. There are some wacky statues in front of restaurants including a giant crab and the famous running man sign.

For Tokyo, you have limited time in a large city. Asakusa is a good area with shopping and a temple. I would give the Imperial Palace a miss since it is a bit of a walk to only see a glimpse of the outside of the palace. Same for the Meiji shrine - long walk to see another temple. Shibuya is a famous area with the zebra crossing and Hachiko statue. Watch Hachi on Netflix to see an Americanized version of the story.

1. I would stay in Osaka AND take the train to Kyoto. Osaka is quite a large city, with plenty to see and do. Kyoto is very small, and though very interesting, the attractions there are limited. The train trip from Osaka to Kyoto is very short and very inexpensive.

There is a local train stop very close to the Osaka pier that will take you to the JR Station to catch a train to Kyoto.

2. Osaka Castle is one of the best in Japan. Osaka cuisine is very interesting and quite different from what you will find in Tokyo. In Kyoto, the Golden Pavilion is one of the most popular sights.

3. From the cruise terminal in Yokohama, you need to walk about two blocks to catch the local train to Tokyo Station. Fare is something like US$8 each way on the local train. Depending on whether you catch a local, limited express, express, or Shinkansen, one-way can take from 15 minutes to 40 minutes.

4. You need to Google and consult guidebooks on Tokyo and Yokohama. There are just too many things to see and do there for the short time you have allocated.

Thank you both. We have doing quite a bit of research and starting to get an idea of what we'll do. Per your advise, we'll take the train to Kyoto and visit the Golden Palace and surrounding areas. Hopefully we'll get back early enough in Osaka to visit the Osaka Castle.

We are a bit overwhelmed by Tokyo...which district would you recommend using these criterias: easy access by train, a couple of "must-see" sites within walking distance, and at least a nearby garden.

Our plan for both Osaka and Yokohama will be to document (with photos) how to "DIY" as a guide and to help future cruisers in Japan. Thanks again.

Note: BruceMuzz...I attended grade school two blocks from Japanese Center (that's what we called it back in the 60's) in San Francisco. Most of my classmates were Japanese...ironically, this will be our first visit to Japan. :)

Japanese temples and shrines can all look pretty much the same until you learn a bit more about them. So for a first visit to Kyoto, I'd suggest the most obviously spectacular ones, such as Kiyomizudera (on stilts), Kinkakuji (Golden temple), Fushimi Inari shrine (tunnels of red torii gates), and maybe a zen temple with rock garden (Ryoanji or Daitokuji). Japan Guide: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2158.html has lots of good information.

Osaka Castle is a concrete reconstruction (pre-WWII, amazingly), but it's worth seeing. I'd skip the rest of Osaka on a first visit.

For a first visit to Tokyo, I'd suggest either just absorbing it's sheer vastness and urban vibe, e.g., the Shibuya crossing (and Hachiko statue), or around Shinjuku (there's a nice park there, too), or the youth scene (cosplay etc) in Harajuku (Yoyogi park is nearby). Or visit what's left of the old Tokyo, e.g., around Asakusa (with Sensoji temple), or the museums around Ueno Park.

This thread has other suggestions, and good information on getting from the port to the train: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=568576

For Japanese train times and fares go here: http://www.hyperdia.com/

We were able to get great responses from experienced CC member on our recent Med cruise...perhaps there are CC members out there that can share their DIY experience in Osaka and Yokohama....
In addition to the replies you get here, you may wish to check out the Japan forum of Trip Advisor. It has sub-forums for Osaka, Kyoto and Yokohama as well as other cities. Their Destination Experts are very helpful and provide excellent advice.

I meant to add that the JNTO has a set of useful guides you can print out, including walking tours of Kyoto and Tokyo: http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/location/rtg/index.html

Thank you!...wonderfully detailed information that we will definitely use. This was exactly the information that we were searching for...outstanding and thanks again. :)

I was in Japan in November on a 2-centre (Kyoto, Tokyo) 11 day tour of Japanese gardens. In case it's any interest or help in your planning I am trying to document it all in video form. There will be 12 videos in all, and so far I have managed to do these 7 while based in Kyoto

Silver Pavilion and Heian shrine

Ishyamadera and Hikone castle

Miyajima

Hiroshima

Zen gardens and Golden Pavilion

Ancient Monuments of Nara

Kyoto Botanical Garden

Will do the Tokyo ones soon. All the best, Tony

I was in Japan in November on a 2-centre (Kyoto, Tokyo) 11 day tour of Japanese gardens. In case it's any interest or help in your planning I am trying to document it all in video form. There will be 12 videos in all, and so far I have managed to do these 7 while based in Kyoto

Silver Pavilion and Heian shrine

Ishyamadera and Hikone castle

Miyajima

Hiroshima

Zen gardens and Golden Pavilion

Ancient Monuments of Nara

Kyoto Botanical Garden

Will do the Tokyo ones soon. All the best, Tony

Perhaps you may have guessed by my avatar that gardening and bonsai's are my passion...thank you for the links. One word..."Wow". We can only wish we had more time...I can spend a week meandering around the botanical garden. Thank you! :)

Perhaps you may have guessed by my avatar that gardening and bonsai's are my passion...thank you for the links. One word..."Wow". We can only wish we had more time...I can spend a week meandering around the botanical garden. Thank you! :)

Thanks. This is the first from Tokyo - no bonsais :( but a couple of great gardens and most sacred temple

More soon.

As I post these video links I have no idea how practical they are to visit from a cruise. Anyway this was a very good day at the seaside city of Kamakura, 31 miles from Tokyo

It shows the 3 main attractions - The Great Buddha, Hase-dera Temple and the main Shinto shrine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Dipbrat, movc, BruceMuzz, Someotherguy, MigthyQuinn, and Cornishpastyman1.....thank you to all your great and truly helpful suggestions and information. Our port stops in Osaka (Kyoto) and Yokohama (Tokyo), were two of the most memorable DIY excursions we have ever experienced. (Perhaps we can contribute and help other passengers in the future just as well.) Thanks again. :)

Thanks for the great information about Tokyo and Kyoto. Does anyone know if US passport holders, while on a cruise, can leave their ship in Yokohama, travel overland from Tokyo to Kyoto and rejoin their ship in Osaka? We'd like to spend an extra day ashore instead of at sea.

Thanks for the great information about Tokyo and Kyoto. Does anyone know if US passport holders, while on a cruise, can leave their ship in Yokohama, travel overland from Tokyo to Kyoto and rejoin their ship in Osaka? We'd like to spend an extra day ashore instead of at sea.

Go back to Kyoto and Tokyo after the cruise and spend several days at each. We stayed in Kobe for 4 nights and Tokyo for 5 nights following our cruise which ended in Kobe. Take the Shinkansen Train from Kobe to Tokyo and fly home from Tokyo.

Go back to Kyoto and Tokyo after the cruise and spend several days at each. We stayed in Kobe for 4 nights and Tokyo for 5 nights following our cruise which ended in Kobe. Take the Shinkansen Train from Kobe to Tokyo and fly home from Tokyo.

The Shinkansin train costs $212 US per person first class one way Kobe to Tokyo.

Archived