Taking train from Rome to Venice - please advise on pickpockets, restaurant and more

Kidsoftheseas

ok, so we are taking the train from Rome to Venice to board the ship.

Seemed like a great idea and everything is booked. Now I am worried about details. We will be with kids, grandparents, and a bunch of bags, leaving on the 8am train.

for anyone who has done this, PLEASE give us some insight/advice so we avoid traps and are prepared.

First I can't seem to find information on how far in advance to be at the station, in the right location. Are we supposed to locate a specific car? I don't recall our tickets saying.

then, with regards to pickpockets and such. I'm getting really nervous the more I'm reading and hearing. How do we best protect ourselves, considering that we will have everything with us (including cameras, wallets, tablets for kids and such).

finally.. should we have breakfast before boarding? I heard there is a restaurant car aboard the train and thought it would be great to grab breakfast that way - that is until I thought about what do people do with their luggage - surely they don't leave it and go off, and surely they don't drag it with them either.

please give some tips!

First off -- it may not be easy, but TRY to pack lighter than usual for the trip. All ships have either self-laundry or laundry services onboard and most people take much more than they really need. However long my trip is, I usually take about one week's worth of clothes, tops. Underwear, socks, etc can all be washed by hand.

Pickpockets -- take bags that lock. If they don't have a built in lock, buy one and use it. You don't have to lock every compartment of every bag, but do lock the ones where you might have valuables, including cameras, etc.

Backpacks are great for train travel. If you can take carry ons that can be used as a backpack, it keeps your hands free for handling other luggage on and off the train. Remember -- backpacks need locks too if there are valuables inside.

Keep your passports, money, credit cards hidden; either in a money belt or pouch (worn under your clothing) or a "secret pocket" that you can attach to a regular belt (or pin to your pants/skirt waist) -- again wear it UNDER your clothing. The key is to minimize the number of things you have to worry about.

For most trains, the actual platform is not announced very far in advance. Everyone is different in how much time they want to spend waiting (e.g., get there early and don't worry or get there at the last minute and don't waste time waiting). Since you're not so familiar with the trains and the station (I assume you'll be boarding at Termini?), you might want to arrive about a half hour ahead. Once you are there, look around the station a little so you have an idea of where the platforms are (how they are numbered) -- or you can get a map ahead of time and see this. Platforms/tracks are called "Binario" which is a good word to know.

At the head of all the tracks, there are electronic boards. Locate your train number (with time and destination) on the board. See if they have listed the Binario yet. If not, it's best to wait near one of these signs until it is announced, then you should make haste to the actual track.

Yes, if you have reserved seats, you should have a notation as to the car and the seat number on the reservation. Try to locate the correct car before boarding. The number of the car may be on the door or on the window next to the door. It's just much easier to board the correct car than to walk through the train with your luggage....

I would eat breakfast before boarding, the food will probably be better and you won't have to worry about your luggage. You can also grab a quick coffee and pastry at the train station or buy something there to take with you and eat on the train (not a problem doing this in Italy).

For even more detailed info, here's a good article on Slow Travel Italy, all about train travel:

http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/trains/

We took the train from Rome to Venice in 2010 and found it much easier than we thought it would be.

Making use of a hidden money pocket/belt while not keeping anything of value in your pockets is your best defense against pickpockets. Also, being aware of your surroundings and keeping an eye on each other goes a long way to reducing your chances of becoming a victim.

We purchased food prior to boarding and enjoyed it along with free champagne in first class. You might want to consider picking up something to enjoy along the way so you won't have to leave your seats.

We arrived at Rome Termini about 30 minutes early since we had never been there. Next time, I believe 15 minutes would be fine.

Your train and car numbers are on your ticket. Check the overhead departure boards for your train number to determine which track it will be on. Get on the car numbered on your ticket. Couldn't be easier.

FYI, I recommend getting off the train in Mestre and takings a taxi to the port from there. It's much easier than schlepping luggage all the way from the Venice Santa Lucia Station to where your ship in berthed.

Enjoy your cruise...

Lew

All of what cruisemom42 said.

I'll add one thing: For you locks, here's what I do. I went to my local REI store and picked up a bunch of their mini-carabiners that have screw closures (they usually have the at the checkout line). I use them to "lock" my bags when I have two zipper toggles. They take a little time to get undone, so they are as good as a lock. For single zipper toggles like one a purse, I can use a carabiner to lock it to the metal portion of the handle of the bag or I'll tie something to the handle that I can hook with the carabiner. For my luggage, I use split-ring key rings to connect the two zipper toggles. Serves 2 purposes - to "lock" the zippers and to make the bag uniquely identifiable. I bought a few key rings with colored webbing on them (look for Chums or Bison Designs) with non-locking carabiners. I just take off the carabiner and use it for other purposes. For as long as I have to work to get that split ring threaded on the zippers, no thief or TSA person is going to get it off quickly!!!!!

For some train travel, I have a retractable cable lock that I could use to secure my bag to a pole or bolted-down seat leg. I also use it in less-than secure hotel locations...

In 2011 my friend and I took the train from Termini to Civitavecchia. It was our first time taking the train in Italy so we looked like we didn't know what we were doing, where to go. A Roman young man came up and took my suitcase to help me with it up the stairs and to find a seat - I didn't want him to, but I wasn't forceful enough to say firmly, No grazie. He demanded a tip - all we had was 50 cents euro and he was mad. He put the suitcases in the front seat of a car and left. Seconds later two gypsy-type young women with no luggage came to sit right by our suitcases. I knew enough Italian at the time to know something was up. We watched them with a hawkeye. After several minutes they got up and left, got off the train. I am firmly convinced they were up to no good. So...with your big family, the kids and the grandparents, just say with a smile, "No grazie, no grazie" if some well-meaning Roman approaches. And watch your luggage at all times.

I have taken the train from Rome to VCE & from VCE to Rome ... never had any problems on any of the trains I have taken in Italy.

Cruisemom42 covered what you need to know ... hide your valuables on your person INSIDE your clothing. I, too, would eat prior to arrival at Termini.

Termini (Rome) is a large station. I would recommend that you arrive at least 30 mins prior to your train departure to find your platform. :)

jill

I also traveled by train but in the opposite direction, and I will just second cruisemom42's first point to pack lightly. My experience was that storage for luggage is limited, and what there is tends to fill up quickly. And, you have to be able to handle your own bags getting on and off. My husband and I and our friends each had just one carryon bag and on some of the trains, it was still challenging to find storage space.

Whenever we travel by train in Europe, we always keep an eye on our bags. They are usually in a small compartment near the door. So, whenever the train stops, one of us wanders that way and just stands there until the doors close again. We met a lovely Swiss couple (on their way to her brother's funeral:() on our last trip from Switzerland to Spain. We took turns watching each other's bags. They had had bad experiences in the past so we were kindred spirits. It never hurts to be cautious.

If we want a snack, one of us goes to get it while the other stays with the bags.

I also strongly second CruiseMom's suggestion about packing lightly--it really does work and it makes the whole trip so much less stressful. We went to Europe for 6 weeks last year (two week TA) and each took a 24" rolling suitcase, and we did formal night, and had plenty!

• 2 weeks later...
All of what cruisemom42 said.

I'll add one thing: For you locks, here's what I do. I went to my local REI store and picked up a bunch of their mini-carabiners that have screw closures (they usually have the at the checkout line). I use them to "lock" my bags when I have two zipper toggles. They take a little time to get undone, so they are as good as a lock. For single zipper toggles like one a purse, I can use a carabiner to lock it to the metal portion of the handle of the bag or I'll tie something to the handle that I can hook with the carabiner. For my luggage, I use split-ring key rings to connect the two zipper toggles. Serves 2 purposes - to "lock" the zippers and to make the bag uniquely identifiable. I bought a few key rings with colored webbing on them (look for Chums or Bison Designs) with non-locking carabiners. I just take off the carabiner and use it for other purposes. For as long as I have to work to get that split ring threaded on the zippers, no thief or TSA person is going to get it off quickly!!!!!

For some train travel, I have a retractable cable lock that I could use to secure my bag to a pole or bolted-down seat leg. I also use it in less-than secure hotel locations...

Would you please point me in the direction of the cable lock you use? I am thinking you use this when your bags are on the train and not always in your view? I am taking the train from Venice to Rome and it will be our first time on a European train so we are looking into safety measures as well. Thanks.

Also "all what cruisemom.... said". Good tips.

To lock up my bags I often use these plastic cable ties you get for next to nix at the $-store or hardware store. I also use these to secure the backpack etc.

I have some spares of these things I the suitcase as well.

They are very easy to "lock up", but a b....ch to pen up in a hurry. I use my nail clippers for this. In the end, anything that will make it a bit difficult for pickpockets is good. They will always look for the easiest targets.

Our company's security advisor always mentions one interesting thing:

When people see these big signs "be aware of pickpockets in the area", most people will automatically check the place on their body where their valuables are.

The pickpockets are watching this. Then they follow you or SMS a buddy a short distance away your description..

As for food for the train ride, there are quite a few cafe's and Takeaway sandwich places at the train station. At this time in the morning there will be delicious, fresh paninis, baguettes, croissants etc.

In nearly all places you FIRST pay at the till, then you get a docket and collect your purchases.

Hot drinks can be had on the train. They are coming past with carts.

I've done the Rome to Venice and back trek on the train with a boatload of luggage and kids. We made sure we were among the first to board our train, then formed a production line with one inside the car and the rest of us handing the bags up.

We left the large bags (four of them) in the rack at the end of the car, locked together with a flexible bicycle lock. We kept our smaller hand luggage, with anything valuable inside, with us at our seats.

A couple fine points in addition to the great advice offered above:

1. You may be able to stuff a medium-sized suitcase in an overhead bin in the car, but plan on putting your bags in the compartment near the door. A big piece of luggage is a problem. When you get on the train, you will have to lift it up several steps in a fairly narrow area while other passengers wait to get on.

2. Don't get excited when you reach Termini and don't see your train listed at any of the 20+ tracks. They won't post your train and platform number until about 15 minutes before its departure.

Would you please point me in the direction of the cable lock you use? I am thinking you use this when your bags are on the train and not always in your view? I am taking the train from Venice to Rome and it will be our first time on a European train so we are looking into safety measures as well. Thanks.

Go to rei.com and look for the Pacsafe Retractasafe 250 Cable Lock. This isn't the one I have (mine is a few years old that doubles as my ski lock), but shows you what they look like. My bag is always with me on the train, but I can lock it to the seat leg and then go to the restroom or dining car. I don't bring large luggage - my 24" Osprey Sojourn is my biggest bag I bring, along with my daypack. I'll lock them together in my hotel room when I'm going out without the daypack.

We also have used the plastic zip cable ties. We carry scissors in an outer pocket or in our backpack to unlock them bags. we find this easier to do and just as secure for planes as well as trains. We get colored ties which would be harder for someone to replace.

Most important of all, as others have said, carry passports, cards and money inside your clothes. I like the pockets which have a loop for your belt, but I also pin this to an inside pocket.

If you have cell phones, etc. consider getting a vest such as Scottevest with inside pockets. Wear this zipped up getting onto trains, etc and you'll have no worries.

Really try not to worry about it too much. We did this exact trip in 2011 and it was no problem. I was also concerned because of all that I had read. Just travel smart. As everyone else has commented keep valuables hidden and always stay with your bags. Just be aware of everyone around you at all times and look confident, not lost. If you are approached just remain aware of what is going on around you at all times. Rome is a very busy train station and there are so many departures that our train (and track designation...they do tell you that) was not even up on the board until 20 minutes before departure because there are so many to display. We also ate on the train but the car is quite small and there is no place to sit. We had to stand at small pub type tables to eat. Kind of a hassle I think, probably better to bring food yourself.

The best tip I got before traveling was to pay the bit extra and travel first class. The seats are fabulous but most importantly you get to keep your eyes on your luggage from where you are sitting. That was very important to us.

We really encountered no problems at all and the most important thing I can say is to look confident and not frazzled, even if you don't know what the heck you are doing!!:)

Rome is a very busy train station and there are so many departures that our train (and track designation...they do tell you that) was not even up on the board until 20 minutes before departure because there are so many to display.

Actually we have encountered this at every train station we have ever been to in Italy--they never post the track numbers (binarios) until about 15 minutes before departure time. When you enter the stations, you will see a lot of people standing in front of large boards; they normally list the train by it's final destination, so if you are not riding it until the end of the route, you will be happier if you know where that is! Once the platform number pops up, then everyone will grab their bags and head out.

I also second the notion of buying food at the station; there are lots of vendors, and it's easy to grab a sandwich and a bottle of water and take it aboard with you. In general I have found the selection on the trains to be very limited.

Archived