Question for former crew members about signing off.

Aurori

Good luck, and all the best with getting everything resolved.

Thanks for your insight and comments. I am now curious, too, as how Carnival is seemingly the only line not to pay for repatriation of their workers. Anyway, regarding the B2, we are still hopeful!

She received a phone call last night while working the Disco. Her boss wants to see her this morning at 10:30 in the Hotel Director's office. This could be it!! *crossing fingers*

Thanks for your insight and comments. I am now curious, too, as how Carnival is seemingly the only line not to pay for repatriation of their workers. Anyway, regarding the B2, we are still hopeful!

She received a phone call last night while working the Disco. Her boss wants to see her this morning at 10:30 in the Hotel Director's office. This could be it!! *crossing fingers*

We are all keeping our fingers crossed for you both. Good luck and keep us posted please.:)

Sounds like a great outcome, the power of Cruisecritic should never be understimated. The mere mention can send a Hotel Manager into hot sweats.

I'd recommend moving companies, there are other brands of the Carnival Corp that are much more loyal to their personnel. There used to be an unwritten prohibition from moving between the brands, but I believe that this was found to be illegal and hasn't been enforced since.

Regarding the MLC 2006, I am still left wondering how they are managing to get their crew to pay the cost of the repatriation.

3. Each Member shall prohibit shipowners from requiring that seafarers make an advance payment towards the cost of repatriation at the beginning of their employment, and also from recovering the cost of repatriation from the seafarers' wages or other entitlements except where the seafarer has been found, in accordance with national laws or regulations or other measures or applicable collective bargaining agreements, to be in serious default of the seafarer's employment obligations.

© the expenses of repatriation shall in no case be a charge upon the seafarers, except as provided for in paragraph 3 of this Standard.

5. Shipowners should be required to continue to cover the costs of repatriation until the seafarers concerned are landed at a destination prescribed pursuant to this Code or are provided with suitable employment on board a ship proceeding to one of those destinations.

6. Each Member should require that shipowners take responsibility for repatriation arrangements by appropriate and expeditious means. The normal mode of transport should be by air. The Member should prescribe the destinations to which seafarers may be repatriated. The destinations should include the countries with which seafarers may be deemed to have a substantial connection including:

(a) the place at which the seafarer agreed to enter into the engagement;

(b) the place stipulated by collective agreement;

© the seafarer's country of residence; or

(d) such other place as may be mutually agreed at the time of engagement. 7. Seafarers should have the right to choose from among the prescribed destinations the place to which they are to be repatriated.

Wow! I came home from work and wanted to hop on and give you all the good news right away. But it looks like you've already heard! I'll give you some of the details anyway :)

I received a call from my GF about 10:45 this morning. She had just left a meeting with her boss and the Hotel Director. She was quite thrilled to say that her boss signed her B2 form! :D John Heald came through alright. I'm not sure what was said in the email between him and the Hotel Director, but after a small lecture on proper procedure pertaining to booking passage and acquiring a B2 form, her boss signed! Immediately after speaking with her I got an update on facebook from Mr. Heald that simply said "it's taken care of". Rather ominous. I've never seen John Heald as a 'Godfather' type figure before, but now.... hehe. Here's something I found amusing... after the meeting was over the Hotel Director asked her a bunch of questions about me! "Does he work on the ships? Where did you meet? What does he do for a living?" etc. I guess John's letter must have said something about me! lol ;)

Thanks to everyone here at Cruise Critic for your support, guidance, and information. You've been a great help and I don't mean that lightly. I don't doubt that 8,000+ views on this thread didn't go unnoticed by someone at Carnival. Regardless, we are an awesome community and I am humbled. I thank you, and Sartsiri from Carnival Victory (you can say hi to her in the disco every night) also thanks you!

Now I will write a heartfelt thank you to John Heald and take a shower... I smell awful!

Thank you for updating us.

Most of us who check out cruise critic care about the quality of life of the staff onboard the ships. Almost everyone has had a difficult and unfair work situation, too.

I'm glad it worked out for her, and hope there are no repercussions.

Glad it worked to! Side note... Anyone that watched the Triumph crew videos posted online after passengers left will remember what a huge deal it was for carnival to pay their travel costs home - there was a huge cheer from the crew for what they were being offered. For all the negative press Carnival has made efforts to treat their staff well.

John has some pull there.

But if there is any backwash from all this on her, you need to let us all know!

I, for one, am going to remember this and really want to know.

You got it! ;)

Seeing this makes me dislike the internal workings of cruise lines even more. I love cruising, but the more I hear about the crews' situations, the more I reconsider.

Just like in most workplaces there are bosses that are easier to get along with than others. With crew, they change ships so frequently that they are bound to run into some bad apples now and then. Honestly, she really hasn't had a problem with any of them except this one. Truth be told, she worked with this guy once before about 5 years ago and he was quite unpleasant then also. All-in-all she enjoys her job, she loves talking with guests, she always has a smile on her face, and rarely has anything negative to say about working as a crew member. Her last boss on Destiny was amazingly helpful. That BM would change my GF's schedule for the week that I visit to allow us time together in port, or so that we could take an evening and play minigolf and relax. Guess sticking her with this boss was just life's way of balancing the karma machine :D

Archived