Does NCL Sun have backup generators?

Trobrah

My DW and DS are going on the Sun next January. Our previous voyage on it was in 2001.

After reading about all of Carnival's misfortunes of late I just came across the following article on Frommers.com. Does anyone know the answer posed in the last paragraph.

Thanks,

Jay

http://www.frommers.com/community/blogs/blog.cfm/arthur-frommer-online/carnival-execs-announce-immediate-multi-million-dollar-spending-remedy-electrical-power-production-older-ships

Why not post the paragraph in question?

"If I were a passenger scheduled to sail in the weeks ahead, I would pose some urgent questions to the company whose ship I have chosen. I would demand to know whether the ship in question has back-up generators far removed from the main generators. And if such companies should refuse to provide that information, then I would demand the right to cancel without penalty and to make a similar cruise booking on another line."

I don't think I would waste that much time, I'd rather just go on the cruise and go with the flow. They'll get you home, eventually :D

Even if they do have back up doesn't mean there gonna work under a particular situation.

Example if the ship sinks there gonna cut out.

As Sauer-kraut says just go with the flow and don't worry about it. You have a much higher risk of dying from other day to day factors in your life such as driving.

All ship shave multiple generators. 4 or 6 or the norm. Emergency power can be provided by just one. It is VERY unlikely all fail at once. The recent ship problem was a bit of a 'freak' situation.

I'd be more worried about my drive to the port or airport than a cruise ship generator!

I would not worry about it at all. You have been on a number of Norwegian ships in the past and have seen all the maintenance that gets done on a daily basis. Can something go wrong, of course. I would not cancel a cruise on what might happen. Do Norwegian ships have back-up generators YES. Where they are located I can not tell you.

I'll be on the Sun in May to Alaska, and the information would be interesting to have. In light of the problems Carnival has had, I would think all cruise lines would be taking a look at this issue and determining if correction was needed.

But, I confess, I agree with Sauer-kraut. I doubt that I would be canceling if I found out that the back up does not exist.

This is probably more information than you require, but:

The ship's engine is based on electric motor propulsion principle. Two double-winding synchronous motors of 15MW at 135rpm, two synchro converters of 12/12-pulses with three excitation systems, and four cast resin propulsion transformers of 9.7MVA drive the diesel-electric propulsion.

The engine is equipped with six diesel alternators, three 12.4MVA and three 10.7MVA. For medium-voltage distribution, two switchboards of 10kV with 21 and 22 panels respectively have been used. A primary power bus system is used to distribute low-voltage power to all fire zones in the ship during emergencies.

From http://www.ship-technology.com

Norwegian Sun is similar to many modern cruise ships in that it doesn't have 'Main Engines' connected directly to the propellors, wheras older ships do. The vessel has 6 large diesel generators which provide electrical power. The vessel then has two electric motors connected to the shafts/propellers and uses as much electricity as is required.

So essentially you have 6 generators onboard, and will always run with a minimum of 2 (giving you 4 spares). You also have an emergency generator onboard, to provide backup power to critical systems in the most catastrophic of emergencies.

The situation that happened on the Triumph is unusual, and is a highly unlikely situation. It will be very interesting to see the final report on how and why that occured. I suspect that the issue was more related to an incident involving the electrical switchboards/wiring, but thats just speculation.

Overall, just enjoy the cruise. You will be fine, and the risk factor is incredibly low. I'd cruise any day over getting in a taxi in most ports.

Yes. Absolutely. Of course the ships are designed with redundancy to all their necessary systems, including electrical power needs. However, the variables involved in systems failures can run from minor (one system out of service) to catastrophic (complete engine room fire). How many sources of power remain after the variable situations occur will not be know until after the event. In a commercial aircraft having several generators, there can occur an event so serious that none remain on line and the aircraft is reduced to only an "essential power" source remaining. That, just like a catastrophic ship event, is extremely rare. So, yes, backup is there until the extreme event occurs. At that point however, you may have used up all your options. So....what do you want the ship to guarantee for you before you sail??

I wish I had a more technically detailed answer for you, but I can say that during our 2/27/13 Sun cruise, my DH and I attended a Q&A with Captain Ronny Borg and Hotel Director Steve Jacobsen on the last sea day.

Your very question was asked by a fellow attendee. Could something like what happened on Carnival Triumph happen on the NCL Sun (with emphasis on the complete power outage)? The Carnival Dream incident had not happened yet. Captain Borg's answer was very complete about the way the Sun's back-up generator systems were wired differently than the Triumph's. As an electrician, my DH understood his answer completely, but I didn't. In short, the Captain's answer was no.

Norwegian Sun is similar to many modern cruise ships in that it doesn't have 'Main Engines' connected directly to the propellors, wheras older ships do. The vessel has 6 large diesel generators which provide electrical power. The vessel then has two electric motors connected to the shafts/propellers and uses as much electricity as is required.

So essentially you have 6 generators onboard, and will always run with a minimum of 2 (giving you 4 spares). You also have an emergency generator onboard, to provide backup power to critical systems in the most catastrophic of emergencies.

The situation that happened on the Triumph is unusual, and is a highly unlikely situation. It will be very interesting to see the final report on how and why that occured. I suspect that the issue was more related to an incident involving the electrical switchboards/wiring, but thats just speculation.

Overall, just enjoy the cruise. You will be fine, and the risk factor is incredibly low. I'd cruise any day over getting in a taxi in most ports.

Your correct

Most modern ships are run like a Diesel Electric train engine. They have petroleum based engines which in turn either directly or via PTO run generators to provide power to the electric motors of the propulsion system. The electric also goes to many other parts of the ship. On my ships tour of the Gem they told us during a "Normal" sea day four engines are online at any one time. They try to run at the minimum to save fuel but can have another engine back online within 5 minutes if needed. In port in will be 2 engines, sometimes one. It all depends on the load needed

An article in today's paper said Carnival will be keeping two of their ships out of service for an additional three weeks. Included in the upgrades and repairs will be a redesign of systems needed to keep basic ship functions operating when the ship begins to lose those systems.

An article in today's paper said Carnival will be keeping two of their ships out of service for an additional three weeks. Included in the upgrades and repairs will be a redesign of systems needed to keep basic ship functions operating when the ship begins to lose those systems.

The Triumph had another 10 cruises cancelled on it and the Carnival Destiny which was already in drydock for upgrades and renaming to Carnival Sunshine had the first two Europe cruises cancelled to allow time to make those changes on it as well. I pass the Triumph daily on my way to/from work. It is sort of sad sitting in the drydock with no power and no lights at all on it.

I am not going to worry about backup power on my cruises. I just can't wait to board. As long as it stays afloat I am good. Like someone else said they will get you back eventually and that is a good excuse not to be at work. :D

I find it hard to believe that any larger, main stream cruise ship would NOT have one.

That's why I don't bother with some articles as the authors either don't know or need filler. IMHO, it would be a waste of time making the call.

As of this past Sunday, The Dream was still in St. Maarten waiting for parts and technicians. As far as I know, there is still a problem with The Legend.

The webcam and ship tracker show the Dream to be sitting at the cruise terminal in Port Canaveral. I have a co-worker sailing on the Dream in a few weeks and she is worried about it now. I haven't heard anything else about the Legend.

Archived