Settle this Argument for us.... To wear Jeans or not

lawgirl

You are most welcome to your opinion and I respect it. As for your comment about someone maybe being a troll, it is rather classless.:D

My apologies if I falsely suggested you were a troll. I was simply surprised that anyone would still be unaware that jeans were acceptable under Celebrity's smart casual dress code. That's not my opinion, that's fact. You of course are entitled to your opinion but your views do not match Celebrity's official policy.

I don't think there is anything wrong with wearing jeans at all, but if it is in the Caribbean, I think they would be way too hot, heavy, and uncomfortable.

Living in the Great White North, I like wearing my flannel lined jeans in winter. Might be a bit too warm to wear them down south though. :)

Someone who wants to wear jeans should wear jeans.

Someone who does not want to wear jeans should not wear jeans.

I would agree with the above. Remember, the "Dress Clothes Police" only exist on these boards. They are not on the ship. At least their badges are confiscated when they go through the metal detectors! ;)

Did see some blue denim jeans, even on formal nights. It is nice to see that people have made a little effort to wash and brush up, rather than usual daytime jeans, but it doesn't really bother me what other people wear.

My DH wears 'jeans' on non formal nights. They are darker, smart ones or the newer fashionable wine or mustard coloured slim chino types, with smart casual shirts. Kind of smart/ casual resort holiday clothes.

One formal night, as we'd already done 2 formals, we decided to give it a miss and ate at the buffet, obviously dressed more casually, but still very smart. We went to Al Bacio for coffee afterwards. Big mistake! A lady from the fashion police passing through from the dining room stopped dead in front of DH, looked him up and down, grimaced and walked off with her nose in the air LOL! :rolleyes:

This happened to us on our first ever cruise:eek: it was on Princess.

We had been back late from our tour, in jeans of course, & decided to go casual & eat in the buffet but before we did we went to a lounge & had a cup of tea in 'proper cups' as opposed to the melamine ones in the buffet....I thought we had grown 2 heads as a group of wonderfully dressed up folk walked past us & gave us daggers, i was rather unnerved!...now I realise they are the fashion police & have a job to do:rolleyes:

What's funny is that now a days, most of these scandalous jeans actually cost more than a pair of dress slacks. So for those people who compare "a cruise line with less standards" to being "cheaper" and therefore having less class....think again.

I have worn dressy jeans numerous occasions in the MDR on all nights, except formal. A nice pair of slim, dark colored jeans paired with heels, a dressy tank, and a blazer looks infinitely better and classier to me than a typical flower-patterned sun dress with a cardigan. Just because it's a "dress" doesn't make it nicer. My husband has worn a nice pair of jeans, paired with a plain T and a blazer or a button up with a blazer (no tie, of course)...practically the same outfit he wears to WORK on casual Fridays. I highly doubt his company has lower standards because of this.

Where's the scandal? If this is something that offends you, you've got to get your priorities in check.

I say leave the jeans at home. Celebrity has a dress code so why not adhere to it? It would never occur to me to wear jean in the MDR or a specialty restaurant. Maybe you should consider sailing on a line that has lesser standards.

Ah, this post made me LOL.

a group of wonderfully dressed up folk walked past us & gave us daggers, i was rather unnerved!...now I realise they are the fashion police & have a job to do:rolleyes:

...rest easy and be assured, the FASHION POLICE will ALWAYS be on duty! ;)

Ever vigilant and unswerving in our RIGHTEOUS and GLORIOUS quest to uphold our own ideals of style. :p

NEVER shirking from our DIVINE RESPONSIBILITY to ensure high class, propper fashion and the appropriately dressed Way.

So tonight we argued over whether he can/should wear jeans in the MDR or specialty restaurants...I say his jeans (normal jeans, not dressy but not torn) are too casual...I can't seem to even get him out of jeans! At least I will be looking fab! LOL

I'm not really going to help you win this argument, but I do wonder if I'm just weird. Jeans are no more comfortable to me than dress slacks or khakis. They have a heavy waistband making my tummy sweat. They're usually of a thicker fabric, and they just don't have any move or draping. I own several pair of jeans, but I just don't want to wear them all the time. Am I mutant?

They're usually of a thicker fabric, and they just don't have any move or draping. I own several pair of jeans, but I just don't want to wear them all the time. Am I mutant?

No - my DH would definitely agree :)

Can't believe just how many replies these 'threads' about jeans attract ! My DH has some very nice jeans, well fitted, and he looks reeeeealy good in them. However, he choses not to wear 'denims' at night - for the simple reason that I won't let him,lol,lol (only kidding :-)

IMHO (please don't hurt me) dark, well fitted 'jeans' can look just as smart as casual trousers, more so than some flimsy, static-bound examples I've seen,lol. However, faded, washed-out ill fitting denim just doesn't look as smart, and is probably best kept for through the day. That said, I can't say that I'm particularly bothered by what other people wear - and it certainly wouldn't spoil my meal or cruise.

However, I will admit to feeling a bit uncomfortable in the theatre after dinner, in a long evening dress (hubby in his tux) sitting next to someone wearing shorts and a t-shirt. Although, being fair, that's not him making me feel that way, it's me letting it bother me.

Lou

Some men inexplicably refuse to wear what the dress code requires. At my formal wedding, my brother in law showed up in jeans insisting other men would not be dressed up and he was just plain wrong. He was by far too casually dressed and he looked like a janitor or a poor relation, neither is the message he wanted to send. Tell him to upgrade to dockers. At least people won't assume he is too poor to be on the ship.

Some men inexplicably refuse to wear what the dress code requires. At my formal wedding, my brother in law showed up in jeans insisting other men would not be dressed up and he was just plain wrong. He was by far too casually dressed and he looked like a janitor or a poor relation, neither is the message he wanted to send. Tell him to upgrade to dockers. At least people won't assume he is too poor to be on the ship.

Let people assume all they want,--not people I would want to chat with anyways. I may just wear some holed up jeans--give the on-board medical team some extra work as they encounter a shipload of patients with heart problems!! Thus it will free up waiters so I can enjoy my Alcohol package, :D

Well on the cruise the jeans are allowed. I brought extra dockers and only wore one pair. There were many men on non formal nights wearing jeans on Reflection in December. Me and the other half included. He definitely would not be out of place.. And to suggest people might look at you as poor, is not right. We are far fom poor and did not get strang looks.

I did wear jeans on formal night, but in Tuscan Grill and LCG. :)

I don't believe the OP said anything about him wearing jeans on formal night

...rest easy and be assured, the FASHION POLICE will ALWAYS be on duty! ;)

Ever vigilant and unswerving in our RIGHTEOUS and GLORIOUS quest to uphold our own ideals of style. :p

NEVER shirking from our DIVINE RESPONSIBILITY to ensure high class, propper fashion and the appropriately dressed Way.

Which always makes me think those are the people who need a visit from the "Need to get some police" *LOL*

I say leave the jeans at home. Celebrity has a dress code so why not adhere to it? It would never occur to me to wear jean in the MDR or a specialty restaurant. Maybe you should consider sailing on a line that has lesser standards.

Celebrity's dress code says NOTHING about not wearing jeans so one would still be adhering to the dress code if jeans were worn. I wouldn't want to see them on formal nights but expect to see them on the other nights.

In ref to the "fashion police" if I am reading correctly they are giving dirty looks if one is not dressed in formal attire on formal nights? Oh goodness!! We are sailing next week and are choosing to only do one formal night this time. Guess I will have people rolling their eyes at us when we walk around the ship in casual clothes on the other formal night!! We will see what happens!!

Celebrity's dress code says NOTHING about not wearing jeans so one would still be adhering to the dress code if jeans were worn. I wouldn't want to see them on formal nights but expect to see them on the other nights.

In ref to the "fashion police" if I am reading correctly they are giving dirty looks if one is not dressed in formal attire on formal nights? Oh goodness!! We are sailing next week and are choosing to only do one formal night this time. Guess I will have people rolling their eyes at us when we walk around the ship in casual clothes on the other formal night!! We will see what happens!!

Just give them the wave and say--your looking good just like me!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicago Boy

OK, NOW I am going to BEG DH to wear jeans! And i may wear them too!! i just wanted him to look nice.... Didn't think him wearing jeans would mean people would "assume we are poor" or that we should sail on a line with "lesser standards." If someone is on a cruise, who cares what they earn or how they afforded Celebrity?? Why can't they be on Celebrity and enjoy themselves. I have seen plenty of wonderful respectful folks with not much in life and many millionaires with no class.

And for the record, our house is 10,000 square feet and we own 7 cars, no kids..No I am not exaggerating. And I am not bragging.... Just pointing out that you shouldn't make assumptions about "class" or "wealth" when you see a post OR someone on Celebrity wearing jeans. I wont be gauche enough to list our income, but I think we can probably scrape together the funds to cruise on Celebrity... Hopefully not with judgmental people.

Quote:

OK, NOW I am going to BEG DH to wear jeans! And i may wear them too!! i just wanted him to look nice.... Didn't think him wearing jeans would mean people would "assume we are poor" or that we should sail on a line with "lesser standards." If someone is on a cruise, who cares what they earn or how they afforded Celebrity?? Why can't they be on Celebrity and enjoy themselves. I have seen plenty of wonderful respectful folks with not much in life and many millionaires with no class.

And for the record, our house is 10,000 square feet and we own 7 cars, no kids..No I am not exaggerating. And I am not bragging.... Just pointing out that you shouldn't make assumptions about "class" or "wealth" when you see a post OR someone on Celebrity wearing jeans. I wont be gauche enough to list our income, but I think we can probably scrape together the funds to cruise on Celebrity... Hopefully not with judgmental people.

Good for you ....go and enjoy. I just don't understand why people get so hung up on what a total stranger , that you will never see again in your life thinks about what you are wearing. As long as you are clean and neat.Who cares.

I don't doubt your financial status at all. My Uncle was the most casual dresser I know to put it mildly. He owned three companies and could have bought and sold most of the people all dressed up playing James Bond. And was probably a lot nicer too.

Enjoy your cruise

The " dress code " and how it's interpreted, ignored or manipulated will always be a topic of CC message board controversy.

This is one argument that will never be settled..

Oh, and I don't wear jeans to any of the restaurants in the evening, even expensive designer ones...

ok. You buy first round.. :D

Quote:

Archived