Where is QM2?

turquoise 6

I think perhaps Carnival pseudo art déco. It is a long way from the 1930s liners Normandie or the original Queen Mary in style.

Art déco implies that there is no basic, clear definition of it. It rather means creating the impression of elegance by using valuable materials and intense colours. In other words, the artist is relatively free to create a decorative effect.

QM2 is a better sea-going vessel than QE2 and also far more stable. The only operational aspect in which QE2 was significantly better than QM2 was in relation to speed.

Both ships could be described as comfortable and elegant, although in completely different ways. At least QM2 has a generally consistent style throughout the ship, although I have difficulty in actually putting a name to the style sought to be achieved by the designer.

While QE2 was originally styled in a 60s look, by the end of her career with Cunard, QE2 had so many styles going on that it became a game of "spot the style" in the different rooms whenever one was on board.

It is nice to hear folks confirming what we say and what are the thoughts of those that sailed on both the old trans-Atlantic Queens and the Queen Elizabeth 2?

Was the QE2 a significant step forward regarding its interior design\layout? The original ships were out and out ferries designed for a scheduled route across an area of ocean that at times was not the most pleasant of places to be and I am assuming individual balconies were not high on the list of required features. The QE2 however was more of a cruise ship as opposed to the 'ferry' that had a type of weekly trans-Atlantic service and as such passengers might want their own individual, private area in which to sun bath.

Did the QE2 carry on with the very traditional wooden interior design styling of her older sisters or did she make her own statement and have a more modern looking interior?

I must confess that I dislike with a passion this so called 'Art Deco' type styling brrrrr I totally accept some folks like it and here I am having booked a cruise aboard the Queen Elizabeth. In my defence, all the pictures I have seen of this ship's interior look very nice but how does it compare to the other two more traditional ships? Is the interior theming of the Queen Victoria similar to that of the Queen Mary 2?

I think we have had some excellent discussions about liners vs cruise ships and what a great pity the latest two 'smaller' Queens do not have a similar styled bow to that of all their predecessors. It would most certainly make them more comfortable in adverse sea conditions and also possibly the best designed cruise ships for their size?

I am genuinely looking forward to listening to both Louise and is it the head of the Fashion Police who will also be accompanying us on our cruise aboard the newest member of the Cunard fleet? I do note how one of them has 'bottled out' of the first leg of the upcoming trip which is that crossing of the North Atlantic.:D;) (apologies for my teasing type humour)

On a different forum folks that have cruised on all three Cunard ships have mostly rated the smaller vessels as being better laid out, and having better interior designs, but on this forum the Queen Mary 2 tends to come out on top?

Our cruise will be leaving Southampton together with the Queen Mary 2 although it might be too rough for that ship to keep up with us :eek::eek:;)

fishing.gif

as we steam into the Western Approaches and out into the North Atlantic. The QM2 meanwhile will avoid the North Atlantic winter crossing and instead 'hang a left' and head down to the Bay of Biscay and off to the equator.

Glojo - response to your questions in black type below:-

It is nice to hear folks confirming what we say and what are the thoughts of those that sailed on both the old trans-Atlantic Queens and the Queen Elizabeth 2?

Unfortunately I am not of sufficient years to have sailed on QM, but I agree with you below about the QE2 being a hybrid cruise ship and liner.

Was the QE2 a significant step forward regarding its interior design\layout? The original ships were out and out ferries designed for a scheduled route across an area of ocean that at times was not the most pleasant of places to be and I am assuming individual balconies were not high on the list of required features. The QE2 however was more of a cruise ship as opposed to the 'ferry' that had a type of weekly trans-Atlantic service and as such passengers might want their own individual, private area in which to sun bath.

The QE2 was significant in that most of the public rooms were placed in the centre of the ship, with wide walkways and windows each side. Thus one could promenade inside the ship in bad weather. I actually liked this layout and rather miss it on QM2.

There were few cabins on QE2 that had their own balcony. Most such cabins were the "dox-boxes" (Q2s) added up on the Signal and Sun Decks and were not part of the original plans for the ship. When the QE2 was built, there was not this mania for balconies. Some Q1 cabins on QE2 had no balcony, including that behind the QG restaurant that was converted from the old radio room.

Did the QE2 carry on with the very traditional wooden interior design styling of her older sisters or did she make her own statement and have a more modern looking interior?

Some parts of QE2 retained original wooden interiors, particularly the QG cabins on One and Two Deck. However, most of the public rooms were of a less traditional style, from the Princess Grill (60s) to the Yacht Club (70s) to the Chart Room (80s) style. Some rooms had no defined style at all.

I must confess that I dislike with a passion this so called 'Art Deco' type styling brrrrr I totally accept some folks like it and here I am having booked a cruise aboard the Queen Elizabeth. In my defence, all the pictures I have seen of this ship's interior look very nice but how does it compare to the other two more traditional ships? Is the interior theming of the Queen Victoria similar to that of the Queen Mary 2?

I agree that I am not a fan of recent reinterpretations of "art deco".

I think we have had some excellent discussions about liners vs cruise ships and what a great pity the latest two 'smaller' Queens do not have a similar styled bow to that of all their predecessors. It would most certainly make them more comfortable in adverse sea conditions and also possibly the best designed cruise ships for their size?

I agree that the two smaller Queens would have been better designed with a more streamlined hull form. But this would have caused additional design cost, which Cunard apparently did not wish to pay.

I am genuinely looking forward to listening to both Louise and is it the head of the Fashion Police who will also be accompanying us on our cruise aboard the newest member of the Cunard fleet? I do note how one of them has 'bottled out' of the first leg of the upcoming trip which is that crossing of the North Atlantic.:D;) (apologies for my teasing type humour)

Having dealt firmly with the fashion miscreants on QM2, the Fashion Police will indeed be turning their attention to QE. We have assigned various operatives to different sectors of the next world cruise.

On a different forum folks that have cruised on all three Cunard ships have mostly rated the smaller vessels as being better laid out, and having better interior designs, but on this forum the Queen Mary 2 tends to come out on top?

For those interested in naval architecture, there is no doubt that the QM2 will always be considered the better ship of the three current Cunard vessels.

Edited by Louise D

For those interested in naval architecture, there is no doubt that the QM2 will always be considered the better ship of the three current Cunard vessels.
Totally agree (apart from the butt ugly layout of her funnels) I am guessing you might feel more vibration\flexing aboard these smaller ships but I will eat my hat if they are more prone to rolling when compared to the QE2 and my fingers are crossed that their stabilisers will do as good a job as those fitted to the Queen Mary BUT.... When the going gets rough there is no way the two smaller ships can maintain the same speed as their larger sister, she is indeed the Queen of the oceans. :):cool:

Regarding your observations about the limited number of balconies that were available on the QE2 then pepper has some excellent pictures of the few that were available at the locations you have documented.

Edited by glojo
Usual poor grammar

...And the other game was "I am here... and want to go there... how do I do it?" The lifts and stairwells made no sense (legacy of being designed as a three class ship and entering service as a two class one) and as for the oft-quoted "E for everywhere"... well "E" stairs/lifts didn't go "everywhere"... missing out four decks....

Horror stories abound of passengers, five days into a 10 night cruise, and still wandering the ship searching for their cabin! :D

I always felt that Cunard should have provided all QE2 passengers with an emergency ration pack, a map and a compass before they came on board.

Oh, call me paranoid if you will, but the lifts didn't like me! All I had to do was to press a button and the lift in question instantly ceased to function.

And Carnival call their vessels "fun ships". What do they know!?

J

Horror stories abound of passengers, five days into a 10 night cruise, and still wandering the ship searching for their cabin! :D

I always felt that Cunard should have provided all QE2 passengers with an emergency ration pack, a map and a compass before they came on board.

Oh, call me paranoid if you will, but the lifts didn't like me! All I had to do was to press a button and the lift in question instantly ceased to function.

And Carnival call their vessels "fun ships". What do they know!?

J

Cruachan,

Have you considered taking a cruise early next year? :) I ask this in good faith as there is a Cunard ship with a very nice itinerary leaving Southampton next January and I am guessing there might be some passengers on one of those ships that might have a similar sense of humour to your very good self?

I have no idea though what the Fashion Police ruling would be for men wearing skirts ;)

Cruachan,

Have you considered taking a cruise early next year? :) I ask this in good faith as there is a Cunard ship with a very nice itinerary leaving Southampton next January and I am guessing there might be some passengers on one of those ships that might have a similar sense of humour to your very good self?

I have no idea though what the Fashion Police ruling would be for men wearing skirts ;)

Unfortunately, I'm fully booked up through 2014. The family finances have never stretched to more than one cruise per year and I fear that they will very very soon reach their elastic limit.

I'm afraid the days when my skirt and I were "girth measurement compatible" have long since passed. But I'm sure that you will find that Commissioner Whitemarsh has no problem at all with the garment in question. :D

J

Unfortunately, I'm fully booked up through 2014. The family finances have never stretched to more than one cruise per year and I fear that they will very very soon reach their elastic limit.

I'm afraid the days when my skirt and I were "girth measurement compatible" have long since passed. But I'm sure that you will find that Commissioner Whitemarsh has no problem at all with the garment in question. :D

J

Bummer and I already have visions of Whitemarsh and his cohorts strutting along the various corridors of the Queen Elizabeth screaming how there is a lack of discpline unlike that which is imposed aboard the Queen Mary 2 ;) (humour)

Enter the Fashion Police.......... (the string holding up those rifles is just out of shot)

640px-Santiago_de_Cuba_-_Garde_au_Mausol%C3%A9e_Jos%C3%A9_Marti.JPG

Cool foot drill! Shame it's expressly forbidden for Highland Regiments :cool:

J

:D:D I can't imagine why that would be (school boy giggling)

Am I correct to suggest a retired soldier would be entitled to wear their regimental tartan kilt? And yes I enjoy watching pipers doing their thing during the Edinburgh Military Tattoo.

For those who have no idea wht this is

Sadly in recent years it is becoming more and more politically correct but it is very much a part of our culture, heritage and tradition.

I am hoping hell will freeze over before we see the end of this annual event.

Am I correct to suggest a retired soldier would be entitled to wear their regimental tartan kilt? And yes I enjoy watching pipers doing their thing during the Edinburgh Military Tattoo.

...oh dear Glojo, don't get me on kilts again!!! (love 'em really !) I am in enough trouble as it is!!:D:D:D

PS. I think you would be good fun to cruise with - shame I can't manage Jan 2014 either!!

...Am I correct to suggest a retired soldier would be entitled to wear their regimental tartan kilt?...

Yes, as long as it is worn as part of appropriate civilian attire and as long as they didn't nick if from the Army in the first place (not that any of us would do such a scurrilous thing you understand - Highland gentlemen, every one!).

The wearing of mess kit is a rather more complex issue as one's mess kit is personal property so, in theory, it could be worn in a civilian setting as a retired member of the regiment. In practice though it would very much depend on the circumstances being "appropriate" and, by extension, on the precise definition of the word "appropriate".

J

Yes, as long as it is worn as part of appropriate civilian attire and as long as they didn't nick if from the Army in the first place (not that any of us would do such a scurrilous thing you understand - Highland gentlemen, every one!).

The wearing of mess kit is a rather more complex issue as one's mess kit is personal property so, in theory, it could be worn in a civilian setting as a retired member of the regiment. In practice though it would very much depend on the circumstances being "appropriate" and, by extension, on the precise definition of the word "appropriate".

J

Thank you for the most informative reply. It is nice to hear how these regiments can still 'live' as I hate what is happening to our so called miliray :mad::mad: Why not merge all three decimated services and call it a blooming defence force! (anger, anger)

Thank you for the most informative reply. It is nice to hear how these regiments can still 'live' as I hate what is happening to our so called miliray :mad::mad: Why not merge all three decimated services and call it a blooming defence force! (anger, anger)

Fortunately, the British regimental system has evolved in such a way that the survival of a regiment has nothing whatsoever to do with the government. The government can cut battalions, and amalgamate and "disband" regiments until they are blue in the face. But the soul of the regiment persists, through its home headquarters and its Regimental Association, until the very last member of the regiment dies.

Remember that a British infantry regiment is not a tactical, field-force unit. It is more like an extended family, and the members of the family never leave the regiment, even when they are discharged from the Army.

The British Infantry is not a formed corps, it is merely a rather loose association of individual regiments. I recall in Germany being asked by a Bundeswehr Feldwebel, with whom I was acquainted, how many armies the British actually had. The poor guy just visited our local Brigade Headquarters and had spent the entire time in a state of bewilderment at the constant parade of different uniforms and cap badges.

J

By the way - where is QM2?

Fortunately, the British regimental system has evolved in such a way that the survival of a regiment has nothing whatsoever to do with the government. The government can cut battalions, and amalgamate and "disband" regiments until they are blue in the face. But the soul of the regiment persists, through its home headquarters and its Regimental Association, until the very last member of the regiment dies.

Remember that a British infantry regiment is not a tactical, field-force unit. It is more like an extended family, and the members of the family never leave the regiment, even when they are discharged from the Army.

The British Infantry is not a formed corps, it is merely a rather loose association of individual regiments. I recall in Germany being asked by a Bundeswehr Feldwebel, with whom I was acquainted, how many armies the British actually had. The poor guy just visited our local Brigade Headquarters and had spent the entire time in a state of bewilderment at the constant parade of different uniforms and cap badges.

J

Quarter Master class 2 has sadly been disbanded and I guess my medication is taking charge of the keyboard and lack of sleep gets me rambling :)

I think we are both in agreement regarding how regiments live on hence my use of hyphens plus it is certainly NOT a topic I have any real knowledge of although I am curious. I like your terminology regarding 'disbandment' but is there the same espirit de corp when fighting for 'The Rifles' as opposed to something like the Devon and Dorsets?

I guess I am terribly guilty of wafflig far too much and drifting way too far off topic

As of 3:46am this morning the Queen Mary 2 is berthed at sunny Southampton, England :)

Well, he is only a Feldwebel ...

QM2 is in Southampton today, leaving for another TA tonight.

...but is there the same espirit de corp when fighting for 'The Rifles' as opposed to something like the Devon and Dorsets?...

Surprising perhaps, but there is. Remember that infanteering is a young man's game. The old and bold tend to have some difficulty adjusting to the new regiment (although most of them manage in the end), but there is a constant influx of new blood at the bottom of the rank pyramid and they instantly focus their loyalty on the entity that they joined and not on what it used to be. There are also plenty of studies from the two world wars that show that infantry soldiers are fiercely loyal to their regiment but that that loyalty transfers relatively easily if the soldier is drafted, due to "the exigencies of the service", to a new regiment.

It's also worth considering that all of our regiments, even the ones that still retain county or other local identities in their names, were once quite happy to be identified only by a number. Indeed, in my day, members of the Black Watch would still refer to the regiment as "The Forty an' Twa" and members of the Royal Scots would refer to their outfit as "The First of Foot" (mind you the latter gang were never very happy when the words "...and mouth" were added to the title).

J

I agree that I am not a fan of recent reinterpretations of "art deco".

No reinterpretation of art déco, but rather the "academic" objective of what artists of the Vienna School had in mind with this era, which went from 1920 until about 1940.

The Queens Room of QM2, for instance, has some art nouveau elements, while art déco was its continuation, and actually Cunard describes the ship's style as being art déco.

Surprising perhaps, but there is. J

Wise words and THANK YOU for taking the time to pass on some of your knowledge... Much appreciated and now back to

'Where is the Queen Mary 2' :)

I am slightly confused by your post but having said that I am always in a state of confusion. The Queen Mary 2 per year does more trans Atlantic trips than her predecessor IF, if we pretend her predecessor was the QE2. The Queen Mary might not be as fast as the QE2 but on just about everything else ism she a better ship? She is without any shadow of a doubt a better sea going vessel, a more stable vessel and might I suggest she is more luixurious?

The only better looking ships in my opinion are those belonging to my fleet but sadly trips on those two vessels are by invitation only :eek::p

I like your ships. Do you accept bookings on line? One question:are the stable?:eek:

I like your ships. Do you accept bookings on line? One question:are the stable?:eek:
Hi Turquoise,

Unfortunately all cruise are fully booked and yes these ocean liners are indeed at the very cutting edge of Naval Architecture :D

The more experienced eye will note the bow and stern are based on the Queen Mary 2

Duke of Edinburgh being a modified Queen Mary class.

Queen Catherine is based on the Vista class with a stern similar to the Queen Mary class and the front of that ship from the bridge frrd is also based on that class ship which will see the vessel cutting through the sea as opposed to slamming into it. :) A very comfortable, stable ride.

The Duke of Edinburgh has a number of differing types of single berth accommodation located in the dummy funnels all of which offer excellent panoramic views and are proving to be very popular. ;)

Meanwhile getting back on topic

All being well RMS Queen Mary 2 will depart Southampton Ocean Cruise Terminal at 1900hrs tonight :)

Edited by glojo

Hi Turquoise,

Unfortunately all cruise are fully booked and yes these ocean liners are indeed at the very cutting edge of Naval Architecture :D

The more experienced eye will note the bow and stern are based on the Queen Mary 2

Duke of Edinburgh being a modified Queen Mary class.

Queen Catherine is based on the Vista class with a stern similar to the Queen Mary class and the front of that ship from the bridge frrd is also based on that class ship which will see the vessel cutting through the sea as opposed to slamming into it. :) A very comfortable, stable ride.

The Duke of Edinburgh has a number of differing types of single berth accommodation located in the dummy funnels all of which offer excellent panoramic views and are proving to be very popular. ;)

Meanwhile getting back on topic

All being well RMS Queen Mary 2 will depart Southampton Ocean Cruise Terminal at 1900hrs tonight :)

Your fleet is very impressive. I would like to be on the wait list,if it ever opens.

Ahh , Thank you!The QM2 is back is Southampton,where she belongs.

Now back to business and the doing the transatlantic run..Very late in the season,but I will look on the bright side.:D

QM2 left for New York at 1915 tonight, my friends onboard (who came over from New York on QE three weeks ago) tell me that everything on QM2 is just as it should be, the ship looks wonderful inside and out and they enjoyed the sailaway party.

I wish them, and all onboard, "Bon Voyage" (and wish I was with them :( ).

Edited by pepperrn

QM2 left for New York at 1915 tonight, my friends onboard (who came over from New York on QE three weeks ago) tell me that everything on QM2 is just as it should be, the ship looks wonderful inside and out and they enjoyed the sailaway party.

I wish them, and all onboard, "Bon Voyage" (and wish I was with them :( ).

I hope they'll report back on how the 'informal' nights are going over...that is, just how are people dressing under the new rules.