Where is QM2?

turquoise 6

Hi Pepper,

Thank you so much for your excellent photos and the video, which is pure poetry ..... So you were sailing across the pond with QM2 after she (and me) had returned from her exciting and adventureous world voyage 2011 with the wonderful Commodore Warner.

I still remember my first TA when we arrived in NY and the rising sun was reflected in the Manhattan panorama. This was a very moving and even "historic" moment of my life and, while I was thinking of all the people in past centuries who left their countries for a better life in the States, tears were rolling down my cheeks .... Since then, I have done more transatlantics with her and I hope to do some more in the future!

Thank you again

and kindest regards,

Cats :)

I was on that QM2 December 2012 west-bound crossing, had the most wonderful time, quite lumpy in places :eek: , a great experience :) ...

My wife and I were on that crossing. Remember the early hours of Wednesday 12/19? Captain Oprey said later that at 2AM the wind was Force 11 with 40 foot waves. We awoke around 4AM when Channel 39 was reporting Force 10 with 18-27 foot waves. Seas and wind were hitting the ship on the starboard quarter causing lots of motion; being in bed was the best place for enjoying it.

BTW, because QM2 docked on 12/22 - one day after the Winter Solstice - we're all members of the Winter Crossing Club now.

My wife and I were on that crossing. Remember the early hours of Wednesday 12/19? Captain Oprey said later that at 2AM the wind was Force 11 with 40 foot waves. We awoke around 4AM when Channel 39 was reporting Force 10 with 18-27 foot waves. Seas and wind were hitting the ship on the starboard quarter causing lots of motion; being in bed was the best place for enjoying it.
Hi pmb1,

It will be a long time before I forget that crossing :) , I booked this voyage because all my previous crossings and cruises had been on waters as smooth as a mill pond; I'd hardly ever noticed the ship move :( .

I was out on my Deck 5 balcony during some of the worst of the weather, and early next morning noticed that the shops had a lot of clearing up to do before they could re-open :eek: . There was masses of water running under the balcony divides for a few days, and I really felt the pitching in Illuminations and the Commodore Club.

The whole voyage was a great experience, one I hope to repeat on another winter crossing :) .

All best wishes,

Edited by pepperrn

...Thank you so much for your excellent photos and the video, which is pure poetry ..... So you were sailing across the pond with QM2 after she (and me) had returned from her exciting and adventureous world voyage 2011 with the wonderful Commodore Warner. I still remember my first TA when we arrived in NY and the rising sun was reflected in the Manhattan panorama. This was a very moving and even "historic" moment of my life and, while I was thinking of all the people in past centuries who left their countries for a better life in the States, tears were rolling down my cheeks .... Since then, I have done more transatlantics with her and I hope to do some more in the future! Thank you again and kindest regards, Cats
Hi Cats2010,

Sorry we missed each other in 2011!

Like you, my first crossing was also made more memorable by watching the light from the rising sun hit the skyscrapers of lower Manhattan (in my case from the stern of QM2 (she docked in Bayonne on this crossing, her one and only visit there)). These shots will, I hope, bring back some happy memories for you...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pepperrn/4666979147/in/set-72157623936817859/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pepperrn/4666979243/in/set-72157623936817859/

All best wishes,

Edited by pepperrn

Hi Cats2010,

Sorry we missed each other in 2011!

Like you, my first crossing was also made more memorable by watching the light from the rising sun hit the skyscrapers of lower Manhattan (in my case from the stern of QM2 (she docked in Bayonne on this crossing, her one and only visit there)). These shots will, I hope, bring back some happy memories for you...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pepperrn/4666979147/in/set-72157623936817859/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pepperrn/4666979243/in/set-72157623936817859/

All best wishes,

Hi Pepper,

This is another beautiful and very professional collection of yours, with tastefully chosen views by a talented photographer! I wondered sometimes how you succeeded to take some of the photos from such unusual angles that only an acrobat can have access to!

Thank you for sharing these with me, I really admired them!

Best wishes,

Cats :)

Please note I am not being critical of the QE2 and I am sure that compared to her peers she was indeed a state of the art 'liner' and a trend setter for the new type of cruise holidays :)

Apart from the size of the QM2, her design, she also has stabilisers and other items of technological wonder that helps to keep her far more stable than the older vessel. Having said all this, no matter how hard they try, ships cannot defy the laws of physics and even this iconic vessel will sometimes have to play second fiddle to mother nature ;);)

are you sure about that? :eek:

are you sure about that? :eek:

I have always been indecisive but now I not even sure about that.

It is possible that some folks think that this fine ship will either walk on water or hover above it.;)

I have always been indecisive but now I not even sure about that.

It is possible that some folks think that this fine ship will either walk on water or hover above it.;)

All ships will rock and roll on the seas. The rougher the more rocking.

Now all also depends on the Captain. Does he want to head on into the storm,or

divert the ship in another direction.?

What would you do with your fleet in rough seas?:rolleyes:

All ships will rock and roll on the seas. The rougher the more rocking.

Now all also depends on the Captain. Does he want to head on into the storm,or

divert the ship in another direction.?

What would you do with your fleet in rough seas?:rolleyes:

Heyyy.. I'm on your side and would no doubt do something similar :o:o

Heyyy.. I'm on your side and would no doubt do something similar :o:o

Thanks! We are on the same boat!!!!;) But there are Captains who prefer to sail into the storm. I was on board the QM2 with one of these Captains. I felt the movement!

Thanks! We are on the same boat!!!!;) But there are Captains who prefer to sail into the storm. I was on board the QM2 with one of these Captains. I felt the movement!
:o:o

Hi Turquoise,

I would like to think the master of the ship knew what he was doing but I was not there and cannot comment.

I have taken a degree of stick for my views\stance on the sea keeping qualities of the Queen Elizabeth but in really rough weather might I suggest her bigger sister would handle the conditions in a better manner?

:o:o

Hi Turquoise,

I would like to think the master of the ship knew what he was doing but I was not there and cannot comment.

I have taken a degree of stick for my views\stance on the sea keeping qualities of the Queen Elizabeth but in really rough weather might I suggest her bigger sister would handle the conditions in a better manner?

There are captains & commodores who are KNOWN to provide

A challenging crossing . Names withheld

I have been aboard the QM2 in very rough seas

And I felt it. I couldn't leave my stateroom. I couldn't

Walk around.

My point is both ships are ocean going vessels and

In rough weather they will move

Don't under estimate the Queen Elizabeth & don't

Over estimate the QM2

Now that's my opinion. :cool:

There are captains & commodores who are KNOWN to provide A challenging crossing . Names withheld
Hi turquoise 6,

Could you let me know which captains and on which crossings please?

All but one of my voyages have been far too smooth, like mill-ponds, VERY disappointing. We might as well have been tied up to the quay.

Strangely, I am prepared for a ship at sea to move about, that there will be "motion of the ocean". I look at it this way... mightly ocean v small ship... only one winner!

Only on my last crossing was there any movement, which was wonderful :) . Really hit a storm :) . I had great fun getting out of my cabin and walking around the ship, there were plenty of handrails. Ordering drinks in the Commodore Club was a hoot as the room went up and down, it was like being in a lift! On one evening a wave smashed against the windows of the Britannia Restaurant, and the view vanished for a few seconds, a lady turned to me and said "I've never had a formal dinner in a submarine before!".

So obviously I know of one captain's name (and will book when he's in command again, no question), but if could let me have the others, I'd be most grateful. Thank you in advance.

All best wishes,

Edited by pepperrn

Hi turquoise 6,

All but one of my voyages have been far too smooth, like mill-ponds, VERY disappointing. We might as well have been tied up to the quay.

Strangely, I am prepared for a ship at sea to move about, that there will be "motion of the ocean". I look at it this way... mightly ocean v small ship... only one winner!

Only on my last crossing was there any movement, which was wonderful :) . Really hit a storm :) . I had great fun getting out of my cabin and walking around the ship, there were plenty of handrails. Ordering drinks in the Commodore Club was a hoot as the room went up and down, it was like being in a lift! On one evening a wave smashed against the windows of the Britannia Restaurant, and the view vanished for a few seconds, a lady turned to me and said "I've never had a formal dinner in a submarine before!".

So obviously I know of one captain's name (and will book when he's in command again, no question), but if could let me have the others, I'd be most grateful. Thank you in advance.

All best wishes,

Hi Pepper,

I love stormy seas as well, but instead of quoting names (I can't believe that a captain or commodore purposedly chooses storms in order to make a cruise livelier or more interesting :confused: :eek:).

There were 2 very heavy storms which I experienced: A crossing of the North Atlantic with Queen Victoria in January and a cruise from Seattle to San Diego in spring on the Infinity, the latter was at night and the stormiest I have ever gone through. My cabin was creaking all the time, objects fell down and my cell phone gave up the service. Unfortunately, in both cases the bridge did not give any explanations, which I would have loved to hear. One of the fellow passangers told me that the waves were 6 m high, but in my opinion it must have been more. Anyway, I am still alive!

Greetings,

Cats2010 :)

Captains/Commodores are charged with the safety and well-being of the guests, crew and the ship. It sounds unlikely that a Captain/Commodore would purposely seek out a storm and sail through it intentionally. There would be questions asked if guests were injured because of the movement or breakage occurred on the ship. The cost of fuel is a consideration if the ship had to go well out of her way to avoid a storm, but when weighed against safety and guest comfort, I doubt that much rationalization is needed.

Ricki

Captains/Commodores are charged with the safety and well-being of the guests, crew and the ship. It sounds unlikely that a Captain/Commodore would purposely seek out a storm and sail through it intentionally. There would be questions asked if guests were injured because of the movement or breakage occurred on the ship. The cost of fuel is a consideration if the ship had to go well out of her way to avoid a storm, but when weighed against safety and guest comfort, I doubt that much rationalization is needed.

Ricki

You are editorializing the post .sensationalism on your part and lots of "BLAH <BLAH>" LOL

Some captains/Commodores stay on course with certain weather depressions. These decisions are made by a group ,: staff captain ,officers,and modern Navigational equipment. There are some captains/commodores who ,based on their info. will not divert north ,south west and stay on course and ride the storm.

The ships are safe

You are editorializing the post .sensationalism on your part and lots of "BLAH <BLAH>" LOL

Some captains/Commodores stay on course with certain weather depressions. These decisions are made by a group ,: staff captain ,officers,and modern Navigational equipment. There are some captains/commodores who ,based on their info. will not divert north ,south west and stay on course and ride the storm.

The ships are safe

I am going to break a cardinal rule about not feeding the trolls on this board by responding to you. You accuse me of sensationalism and lots of "BLAH?" Please re-read your posts, you are the one with blind accusations of Captains deliberately going through storms. I think you have some serious problems with "BLAH,BLAH," and "sensationalism."

Ricki

Hi turquoise 6,

All best wishes,

Hi Pepper,

well , there are 2 captains that i know of who have retired. They are the

captains/commodores who stay the course in a depression. There ships are made for heavy seas!!!

On one transatlantic crossing I attended a Captains Cocktail Party,and one American passenger was very upset and confronted the captain and was holding "a martini" in her hand ,about always having rough weather that day. Why didn't he move the ship away from the storm.? LOL but this is the "Cruise Passenger" who likes sailing the North Atlantic as though it was Central Park Lake:rolleyes:

My best advice if you like to sail in rough seas,sail during the Hurricane season. You may get lucky and hit "THE PERFECT STORM":)

I am going to break a cardinal rule about not feeding the trolls on this board by responding to you. You accuse me of sensationalism and lots of "BLAH?" Please re-read your posts, you are the one with blind accusations of Captains deliberately going through storms. I think you have some serious problems with "BLAH,BLAH," and "sensationalism."

Ricki

Have you sailed on a ship? Have you done a transatlantic? or do you editorialize on the internet?

Have you sailed on a ship? Have you done a transatlantic? or do you editorialize on the internet?

Your comments speak for themselves.

Please don't attack posters who are expressing their opinion.

Ricki