Silver Spirit Sister Ship

sakaara

News to be announced soon, perhaps in the next week or so is a sister ship for Silver Spirit.

Passenger wise to be the same, but adding an extra deck.

Very exciting news!

I am on board since Wednesday and everything superb so far, except 2 very large insurance groups which does impact cruise.

Also a new kids paddling pool ( plastic ) beside main pool.

Internet spotty, so will try more later.

Hi Sakaara, thanks for sharing an on board Spirit report. Sorry to hear about the large groups impacting your cruise enjoyment.

New ship news is exciting, do hope an official announcement is made soon.

sakaara,

Thanks for the update. I'm not sure what to think about yet another SS ship. I assume they know what they're doing but already they are relying on marketing gimmicks like dividing cruises into shorter segments in order to fill the current ships.

I do know what to think about a kids paddling pool adjacent to the main pool but I'm too polite to say. Has anyone ever heard a kid paddling in a pool silently?

That's interesting news, and potentially exciting. I'm very concerned about the kids' paddling pool, but indulge me for a moment.

Perhaps SS will make this new ship a family ship and ban under 12's from the other ships? I know, pure fantasy!

When this came up in conversation with Capt Gennaro Arma he implied that this time SS would have the final design authority and the Spirit's sister would indeed be be built along the same internal lines as the other classic ships. Didn't mention an extra deck though.

My first thought was that paddling pool was for Nico.

I think I saw him at the Muster Drill but not since. I haven't seen any child in Paddling pool which was covered in plastic. I haven't been to pool today though so I can't comment. Has Nico brown curls?

A few other small children on board but they don't use paddle pool, they use main pool/ jacuzzi.

I haven't seen kids in The Restaurant either night I dined.

Looking forward to La Terazza tonight, maybe I will spot the little guy then.

Pool grill was almost fully booked on our first night, upper area for large group, and fully booked for same group on the last night prior to Barbados.

Excuse any spelling mistakes , very little minutes of Internet left till I renew.

Thanks

Hi Silver Spectre, this cruise has a whole different feel to our last. Think swarms of Asians in blue Silversea T shirts. No one has verified exact numbers. Could have easily ended up like 2 private charters.

Crew had a very difficult time getting people out of pool last night to put on nets, almost impossible.

On saying the above, we are loving every second of our trip.

We are completely spoilt by our butler, and all the crew.

Food last night Formal was superb.

Sea is like a milk pond and we have put our cruise credit to great use from the connoisseur's wine list.

Yes, Tothesunset, I also fear that the days of the lovely Wind and Cloud are now numbered.

Silversea is redefining itself, through mass marketing, short cruises, few sea days, and by routinely booking large incentive groups that affect the onboard ambience. It remains to be seen whether they'll be able to hold onto the true "luxury" designation. If these were simply desperate moves to keep the ships filled in a time of economic downturn, you could partially excuse them on the basis of financial necessity. But now that they're adding yet another big new build, well, that just tells me that their goal all along has been "mass market with frills."

Just calling something "luxury" doesn't make it so. Very sad to hear about this.

You make a good point, Duct Tape, about Silversea's recent investment in the Cloud. And I do hope you're right. But I remember the captain telling me that the smaller ships would have to go, because their systems, including propulsion, were outdated. And that was 4 or 5 years ago!

I think we have to accept that they will not go on forever, but 20 years still seems a pretty short lifespan for a custom built ship, especially when you look at how much SS has invested in the Wind and Cloud over the last 5 years.

One thing that will impact on the decision to keep them over the longer term is any more major breakdowns like the A/C problem on the Cloud in 2011. That really hurt their bottom line.

I just hope that they are still around in 5 years time.

My first thought was that paddling pool was for Nico.

I think I saw him at the Muster Drill but not since. I haven't seen any child in Paddling pool which was covered in plastic. I haven't been to pool today though so I can't comment. Has Nico brown curls?

A few other small children on board but they don't use paddle pool, they use main pool/ jacuzzi.

I haven't seen kids in The Restaurant either night I dined.

Looking forward to La Terazza tonight, maybe I will spot the little guy then.

Pool grill was almost fully booked on our first night, upper area for large group, and fully booked for same group on the last night prior to Barbados.

Excuse any spelling mistakes , very little minutes of Internet left till I renew.

Thanks

Sounds like him. Hope you had a quiet and very enjoyable meal in La Terazza.

I do know what to think about a kids paddling pool adjacent to the main pool but I'm too polite to say. Has anyone ever heard a kid paddling in a pool silently?

Perhaps the sign just says "kids paddling pool" but in fact it drops all the way to the ocean? :eek::)

Dinner in La Terrazza last night was outstanding.

The Pappardelle with Duck Ragu, as memorable as always, and incredible Seabass very simply prepared but superbly flavourful.

Pool grill tonight, hopefully as there is a possibility of rain. We missed dinner there in Fort Lauderdale due to the torrential downpour.

Fresh fruit and berries plentiful and delicious but not on display in Terrazza, they are however available to order.

We have requested an Indian meal tomorrow evening in The Restaurant so we are really looking forward to that.

We are in Samana today in The Dominican Republic, but port times are short so we are going to stay put and enjoy the peace and quiet and beautiful views.

We arrive in Tortola tomorrow and are going to take the Virgin Gorda excursion.

Thanks

Dinner in La Terrazza last night was outstanding.

The Pappardelle with Duck Ragu, as memorable as always, and incredible Seabass very simply prepared but superbly flavourful.

Pool grill tonight, hopefully as there is a possibility of rain. We missed dinner there in Fort Lauderdale due to the torrential downpour.

Fresh fruit and berries plentiful and delicious but not on display in Terrazza, they are however available to order.

We have requested an Indian meal tomorrow evening in The Restaurant so we are really looking forward to that.

We are in Samana today in The Dominican Republic, but port times are short so we are going to stay put and enjoy the peace and quiet and beautiful views.

We arrive in Tortola tomorrow and are going to take the Virgin Gorda excursion.

Thanks

Thanks for letting us know.

We had an Indian meal one night in February and I must say that the Lamb Curry was probably the best I have ever had on any cruise line. Ok, it was spicy, but not so as to blow your head off. We were eating with the F&B manager and even he was impressed.

If you get anywhere close to our meal you are in for a real treat.

Hi DuctTape, have let Craig and Wil know (the are on board the Spring crossing with Ida and I and Nico)about Nico and that I've let Ellen Bettridge know who answered and forwarded our concerns to the old Hotel Director. Hopefully, Paolo (now on board as Hotel Director) will take action where necessary. Don't care if Nico's parent's spent multiple six figures for five months on the Spirit while their Italian home is being remodeled, they do NOT rate a permanent La Terraza table at night. btw, Ida speaks Spanish and gets by in Italian, if she notes any problems with Nico's family, you can bet she will let the parents know first hand.

Archived