Bus Transfer or Taxi from LaGuardia Airport

Hi, just wondering what's better. My wife and I booked the new Norwegian Breakaway for June 2nd. Our flight arrives 9:30 AM, thinking about taking a taxi to the Manhattan cruise terminal where the Breakaway will be docked for our embarkation. I'm sure the taxi would be cheaper. Anyone every have a problem catching a Taxi and getting to the cruise terminal this way. I'm not to familiar with New York City.

There will be plenty of taxis available. Fare should be about $35-40 based on the meter (for the car, not per person) plus tolls ($0 if the driver knows the best route) and tip (15-20% of the fare.

You might also want to consider booking a car service, such as Dial 7 http://www.dial7.com . Fare as low as $30 fixed rate plus toll and tip.

Taking a taxi or car service should save money and be more convenient...you won't have to wait for the NCL bus to fill before leaving the airport. Just hop into the taxi or car and you're on your way.

I agree with nj, except I would reserve a car service over a taxi. You wait in line, which can be long, for a taxi. The car service will have your name on a placard and meet you at baggage claim. That is the way to go, and dial 7 is it!!!

There will be plenty of taxis available. Fare should be about $35-40 based on the meter (for the car, not per person) plus tolls ($0 if the driver knows the best route) and tip (15-20% of the fare.

You might also want to consider booking a car service, such as Dial 7 www.dial7.com . Fare as low as $30 fixed rate plus toll and tip.

Just curious why the taxi would not charge for tolls but the Dial 7 company would???

Would the Dial 7 drivers not know the "best way" to avoid tolls?

Just curious why the taxi would not charge for tolls but the Dial 7 company would???

Would the Dial 7 drivers not know the "best way" to avoid tolls?

That wasn't what I meant. I just didn't bother to repeat the "best route" comment.

Neither one would charge for tolls if the route chosen doesn't have tolls. Both would charge for tolls if the route chosen included tolls.

In a metered taxi you're allowed to instruct the driver to take a particular route, so you could insist in this case for the driver to take the Ed Koch Queensboro Bridge, which has no toll, but by doing so you're running the risk of running up your fare on the meter if traffic turns out to be heavy and the taxi is just creeping along.

When you book car service they retain the right to choose the least trafficked route because you are charged a fixed fare (the driver should be able to find out about traffic from the dispatcher, who is in touch with the company's cars) but sometimes that could mean they insist on taking a toll route, which in this case it could be the Queens Midtown Tunnel, to ensure the quickest possible trip.

I agree with nj, except I would reserve a car service over a taxi. You wait in line, which can be long, for a taxi. The car service will have your name on a placard and meet you at baggage claim. That is the way to go, and dial 7 is it!!!

Do you work for Dial 7?:)

I'd go with the taxi any time!

At the time of day the OP is arriving, there will be hundreds of taxis available and the wait should be minimal.

The car service will have your name on a placard and meet you at baggage claim. That is the way to go, and dial 7 is it!!!

Meet and greet service (which is what you describe) is EXTRA. NOT included in the cost of a "normal" car service pickup. Driver has to PAY to park, walk to meet you, stand around while you get off the plane, then you have to WALK to the parking lot unless you want to stand on the curb while the driver gets the car and comes BACK to pick you up. Generally, meet and greet is any where from $35-70 EXTRA.

For "normal" car service, you get your luggage, get out to the curb and CALL. The drivers sit in the cell phone lots NOT far from the terminals. When you call, the drivers move to pick you up. Unless you can't figure out how to get to baggage claim, don't speak the language or don't want to take your luggage outside (hire a porter for a few bucks-still cheaper than meet and greet), meet and greet service is a REAL waste of money IMHO.

Meet and greet service (.

Agree, any wait time more than 30 minutes is charged for as well. Yes you can set up the car service that you call them when you land as an option.

As a Brooklynite, I always take car service to the airport/NY Cruise port and Yellow Taxi from both.

Does Dial7 operate to/from the other 2 airports (Newark/JFK) and if so how does the fare differ?

Yes, they operate throughout the NY City area. You can check fares on their website, http://www.dial7.com .

Their internet-booked prices for a sedan from the three area airports to Manhattan are (excluding tolls and tip):

EWR $46

JFK $44

LGA $30

Note: Tolls from EWR can be $15 or more. From JFK or LGA the trip can be made without tolls, or at most $7.50 for the Queens Midtown Tunnel.

Yes, they operate throughout the NY City area. You can check fares on their website, www.dial7.com .

Their internet-booked prices for a sedan from the three area airports to Manhattan are (excluding tolls and tip):

EWR $46

JFK $44

LGA $30

Note: Tolls from EWR can be $15 or more. From JFK or LGA the trip can be made without tolls, or at most $7.50 for the Queens Midtown Tunnel.

Thank You so much for the info

Archived