Will myApple Ipad work on cruise ship?

BoPippy

Will I be able to log on Internet and use my Apple Ipad on the Emerald in April?or connect from my balcony room midship?Is there a certain way you need to log in different than at home to access the ships minutes?Thanks.:)

Will I be able to log on Internet and use my Apple Ipad on the Emerald in April?or connect from my balcony room midship?Is there a certain way you need to log in different than at home to access the ships minutes?Thanks.:)

Yes we used one on the Emerald last week.

No just look for the available internet signal.

It will work fine. You just have to connect to the Wifi on the ship and then go through the log in process to access the internet (and pay for the minutes) How well it connects depends on the location in the ship. Have had times when it worked real well and other that it was not so good. It is really slow and some activities are blocked (Skype). Also, if your iPad has a 3G/4G connection, make sure you turn that off otherwise you will connect to the cell at sea service, which is pricey, without realizing it.

Tim

Yes, you will have to register and set up an account. There is one more VERY IMPORTANT thing do not forget to log out of your ship account when you are done.

Shutting off the ipad does not shut off the ship computer account and the minutes will go on and on....

I've used only my iPhone or iPad on my last few cruises.

Go to Settings and turn WiFi on. The ship's WiFi will show. Select and the log-in page will pop up. Sign in, select your package and connect. Pretty simple.

I've found that the iPad or iPhone often disconnects from the WiFi. You're still signed in so I go back to settings, select the WiFi and I'm re-connected. Annoying but fixable.

I sign in, download my mail, and sign off. I can respond off-line, re-sign on and send. I use the app "iAWriter" to write a journal or notes offline.

To log out, I open Safari and type either "logout.com" or "1.1.1.1" -- either works. Check the WiFi signal if the logout page and summary don't appear.

I used Wifi on an iPad on the Sapphire Princess in the middle of the Pacific without any problem. As previously stated, you do need to make sure you sign out each time.

The Princess staff person in the Internet Cafe was very helpful to several people needing help signing in with their iPads. They also have a handout available there with complete instructions on how to use it. If you're not sure how to sign on, I recommend you take your iPad to the Internet Cafe and ask the Princess staff person there to set it up for you the first time.

Really excellent information! I would never have figured out going to Safari to logout. Thanks!

We are so computer illiterate,the only Safari we know of is the ones in Africa:D

Not for signing off the ship's internet system.
Right. Just because your computer, smart phone, netbook or tablet is turned off, it doesn't mean you're signed out of the ship's Internet system.

Before leaving home, put it in Airplane mode. Then, when when you want to use the Internet, turn just the WiFi on. That way, you won't accidentally connect to the ship's cell tower or incur roaming charges.

If you are that computer illiterate, it might be a good idea to leave your iPad at home.

And to think I used to work in an office with 100 people,all using computers involved with payroll,accounting,human resources,job placements,unemployment,workforce deployment,etc,etc.Just not used to some new terminology since I haven't worked in 10 years.lol.:D

I've used only my iPhone or iPad on my last few cruises.

Go to Settings and turn WiFi on. The ship's WiFi will show. Select and the log-in page will pop up. Sign in, select your package and connect. Pretty simple.

I've found that the iPad or iPhone often disconnects from the WiFi. You're still signed in so I go back to settings, select the WiFi and I'm re-connected. Annoying but fixable.

I sign in, download my mail, and sign off. I can respond off-line, re-sign on and send. I use the app "iAWriter" to write a journal or notes offline.

To log out, I open Safari and type either "logout.com" or "1.1.1.1" -- either works. Check the WiFi signal if the logout page and summary don't appear.

Thanks Pam, I have printed off to take on our cruise next month, very helpful

If you are that computer illiterate, it might be a good idea to leave your iPad at home.

Now I see what Safari is,,,duh,,just the ap to log in.i use that sometimes and a facebook app page.Just never noticed it said Safari.I got to wake up,getting lazy.:eek:

Right. Just because your computer, smart phone, netbook or tablet is turned off, it doesn't mean you're signed out of the ship's Internet system.

Before leaving home, put it in Airplane mode. Then, when when you want to use the Internet, turn just the WiFi on. That way, you won't accidentally connect to the ship's cell tower or incur roaming charges.

Hi Pam,

Do you need to put the ipad back in airplane mode every time you sign off or can you leave the wifi on?

Hi Pam:

I'm very interested in using the iAWriter app for emails, however, could you explain how you transfer the material to your email account? Many thanks,

Jonikal (Elfi)

Hi Pam,

Do you need to put the ipad back in airplane mode every time you sign off or can you leave the wifi on?

I leave mine in Airplane mode once I leave home and don't turn it back on until I'm home. When I want to use the Internet, I turn on the WiFi. When I'm done, I turn off the WiFi. I never leave the WiFi on when I'm not using it.

Elfi, I just copy and paste from iA Writer to my email.

Archived