Passport Denied.

Hi all --

Friends of ours have a 5-night Bermuda sailing planned for May. One friend recently applied for his passport, which was denied because he owes child support. He is on a payment plan for this. I know that technically, on a closed-loop cruise, a passport is not necessary.

Does anybody know if a denied passport means he cannot leave the country? Will homeland security review the manifest and he be denied boarding at the port? Any insight is helpful! Thanks.

Hi all --

Friends of ours have a 5-night Bermuda sailing planned for May. One friend recently applied for his passport, which was denied because he owes child support. He is on a payment plan for this. I know that technically, on a closed-loop cruise, a passport is not necessary.

Does anybody know if a denied passport means he cannot leave the country? Will homeland security review the manifest and he be denied boarding at the port? Any insight is helpful! Thanks.

Don't know about that but if he has an outstanding warrant he more than likely will cruise and then be apprehended when returning to the US. I have seen this happen on several cruises returning to Port Canaveral. The people involved probably knew they had warrants but did not know that the checks done prior to boarding would bring them up in the system. Not the best way to end a nice vacation. The folks that get hooked up at PC spend time in our County jail until the authorities that issued the warrant come to pick the person up to return them to their jurisdiction.

Like the retired officer writing below, I am retired Law Enforcement and have witnessed this quite a few times.

He shouldn't have a problem getting on the ship but may have a problem when the cruise ends. If the customs officer checks the computer and sees either a warrant or detainer there may be a problem. Is his child support up to date or is he behind in his payments?. I'm a retired police lieutenant that had a problem a few years ago. My older cousin had the same name as me. When I returned from a cruise an active warrant popped up on the computer for him. I had to explain to the customs officer that it wasn't me they were looking for. I don't have that problem anymore since he passed away last August.

Also, there was a story on the news approximately six months ago in reference to a middle aged female who was arrested for shoplifting twenty years ago while she lived in Florida. She didn't pay the small fine for the disorderly persons charge and was apprehended at the conclusion of her cruise by the custom officers at Port Canaveral. She was arrested and placed in the Brevard County Jail over the weekend because the actual incident took place in another jurisdiction. She was then transported to the county where the incident took place on Monday morning to pay her fine. The fine was less than one hundred dollars. What a way to end a vacation. She was married with small children and now lived in Illinois. Talk about an embarrassing incident in front of your family.

If your friend has a court-registered agreement, his passport could only be denied if he is in default of that agreement.

He shouldn't be spending money on a cruise and should be supporting his child or children as per the court-registered agreement instead.

Welcome to the "me" generation.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

He shouldn't be spending money on a cruise and should be supporting his child or children as per the court-registered agreement instead.

right... why is he spending money on a cruise and not paying his child support?? :confused:

Thanks for the quick replies! To the best of my knowledge, there is no outstanding warrant. I would think that they would know if there were. Silly question, but how do we find out if there is an active warrant?

He needs to check with court that handled the support agreement. They would be the one's that would issue a warrant for failure to pay if that was the case.

If your friend has a court-registered agreement, his passport could only be denied if he is in default of that agreement.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Maybe the cruiser cashed in a boat load of Royal Caribbean points? Maybe he is now up to date on his payments?

If he's on an established payment plan through the local authority responsible for the child support there shouldn't be any active warrant issued. If you want to double check have your relative contact them to make absolutely sure one wasn't issued. I worked for a small local municipal department and was able to access the computer from headquarters or even in the police vehicle to see if an individual had any outstanding warrants.If a warrant was issued for child support that individual was always taken into custody and transported to the county jail. In most instances even if there was an active warrant some departments didn't have the manpower or resources available to pick up the individual. In some instances if the warrant was for a serious offense we would transport the individual to the county jail. I had one specific incident where an individual stopped in New Jersey on an active warrant was wanted by an authority in California. In that incident California sent officers to our county jail for an individual wanted in their jurisdiction for kidnapping after the same type of incident occurred in our jurisdiction. The second individual involved in that incident had a heart attack in our headquarters while we were processing him. I accompanied him to our local hospital while in police custody where he actually passed away in the hospitals emergency room. He was pointing to his chest because he didn't speak English and I thought he was trying to fool me about going to jail. I'm glad that I contacted our EMT's and the paramedics that day. The emergency room doctor gave him an IV to thin his blood. He told me that the procdeure works on 95 out of 100 patients. He was one of the 5 that it didn't work on.

He was pointing to his chest because he didn't speak English and I thought he was trying to fool me about going to jail. I'm glad that I contacted our EMT's and the paramedics that day.quote]

How many hours of him pointing to chest went by before you picked up on the fact that he needed medical attention? You said that you were glad that you called the "EMT's" that day. That day.............wow. Usually people with heart attacks and strokes need immediate attention if they are going to survive.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread.

I called for the EMT's within the first five minutes that he was pointing to his chest. He was a big guy, over 250 pounds. He was a loanshark attempting to kidnapp a female resident who was behind on her payments. She owned a dress shop a few towns over and had borrowed from them on a few occasions. This time she was late on her payments. They were going to make an example of her to the rest of their customers. These two characters were real pros. Not the average criminal I usually got involved with.

That would mean spending a zillion on a credit card or similar program.

So once again he would be spending a fortune of money on something other than supporting his children.

Now please don't come at me with the possibility that all of those high credit card charges were for the children's school, school supplies and doctor visits when the children got sick.

Support your kids before going on a vacation, period.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

I called for the EMT's within the first five minutes that he was pointing to his chest. He was a big guy, over 250 pounds. He was a loanshark attempting to kidnapp a female resident who was behind on her payments. She owned a dress shop a few towns over and had borrowed from them on a few occasions. This time she was late on her payments. They were going to make an example of her to the rest of their customers. These two characters were real pros. Not the average criminal I usually got involved with.

Oh, ok. You kind of made it sound like he was in a cell pointing to his chest for hours before anyone put 2 + 2 together. Back to the child support dude. Skin him alive for taking a cruise.................lol

Charming...a "payment plan" for his child support.

And he is spending money on a cruise?

:rolleyes:

Snarky, much? :rolleyes:

I deal with child support obligations on a daily basis in my work.

I'm not fond of people who default on their child support obligations purposely, but anytime someone gets in arrears, such as in the case of being unemployed for a while, the court will set up the back owed support as a "payment plan" in addition to their regular child support. The back support plan continues on even after regular child support ends until paid in full.

The only way out of the payment plan is to pay all back support owed in a lump sum, then go thru legal procedures to have the order changed.

The only reason someone should be denied a passport or have a warrant issued is if they are in default of a child support obligation. Doesn't matter if it's a current obligation or for arrearages.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

PLUS 1:mad:

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

PLUS 1

WHY are there so many judgemental people on this board. I have been on BOTH sides of the child support situation and believe me there could be many different circumstances. Unless you are a part of that particular situation and KNOW THE FACTS, you should refrain from the judgemental remarks. I have seen cases whers someone was arressted for back child support when in fact the child had been in his physical custody for years. Like I said, people should answer the question asked and refrain from judging others. That is the job of the law and God only!!!

WHY are there so many judgemental people on this board. I have been on BOTH sides of the child support situation and believe me there could be many different circumstances. Unless you are a part of that particular situation and KNOW THE FACTS, you should refrain from the judgemental remarks. I have seen cases whers someone was arressted for back child support when in fact the child had been in his physical custody for years. Like I said, people should answer the question asked and refrain from judging others. That is the job of the law and God only!!!

x2!

Archived