Passport Denied.

WHY are there so many judgemental people on this board. I have been on BOTH sides of the child support situation and believe me there could be many different circumstances. Unless you are a part of that particular situation and KNOW THE FACTS, you should refrain from the judgemental remarks. I have seen cases whers someone was arressted for back child support when in fact the child had been in his physical custody for years. Like I said, people should answer the question asked and refrain from judging others. That is the job of the law and God only!!!

Why are their so many judgmental remarks? Because people have no accountability for what they say here. This is a great place for people to be a Monday Night quarterback and go on their merry way.

I am not going to judge the guy. Like you said, we don't have the whole picture. Maybe the guy lost his job and could barely afford to support himself. Maybe the guy is a creep. Maybe the cruise was a gift. Too many maybe's and what if's in this situation.

WHY are there so many judgemental people on this board. I have been on BOTH sides of the child support situation and believe me there could be many different circumstances. Unless you are a part of that particular situation and KNOW THE FACTS, you should refrain from the judgemental remarks. I have seen cases whers someone was arressted for back child support when in fact the child had been in his physical custody for years. Like I said, people should answer the question asked and refrain from judging others. That is the job of the law and God only!!!

I was thinking something similar. There are also issues when it is disputed payments, a back payment or judgment that has been satisfied, not filed properly, The individual could also be treated to the cruise by a girl friend. So it can be many things, including he could be a low life scumbag, we don't know.

Thank you to those who have been kind, understanding, and helpful. My friend is not in default of his payment plan, nor is he spending any money on this cruise, as it was a birthday gift from his girlfriend. To all others: you must think it's pretty nice up there on your high horses. I knew things would get a little snarky in here.

I don't know your stories, I don't care to, and I don't judge... although maybe I should start.

Thank you to those who have been kind, understanding, and helpful. My friend is not in default of his payment plan, nor is he spending any money on this cruise, as it was a birthday gift from his girlfriend. To all others: you must think it's pretty nice up there on your high horses. I knew things would get a little snarky in here.

I don't know your stories, I don't care to, and I don't judge... although maybe I should start.

With hindsight always being 20/20, aren't you glad you brought this up? LOL

Don't start judging others. It is not a flattering trait. :)

Agreed....one of the biggest problems in our society is pre-judging a situation you know very little about.

Well, he must have been in arrears and that's the reason for the payment plan and it must be more than 2500.00. When it's caught up he can apply.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppi/family/family_863.html

Yes he may be LISTED as being in arrears, but you do not know the reasons for it, if it is in fact correct or an error. I was in arrears to the tune of $5000 on paper, even though my daughter was with me AND a new court order was done, but somehow slipped through the cracks. As I said, it is no ones business or place to judge.

Welcome to cruise critic. The judgemental attitudes of some of these people is indeed disgusting.

It was actually the OP who set the tone for the judgmental remarks by the slanting side of the question to begin with.

The potential passenger knows IN ADVANCE (through the passport denial) that there is a problem. That is the key to this situation -- he actually knows in advance and is not merely a passenger using a birth certificate that gets surprised by customs upon disembarking.

Instead of taking the route of running to fix the problem, the question was raised about whether he could potentially sneak on and off the cruise without his passport and what would happen to him when he re-enters the U.S.

If it were an error, honest mistake or court/administrative error, it is more likely that the passenger would have run immediately to fix the error rather than ask the type of question that was posed here.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Some of you folks have never dealt with a vindictive spouse. I also like folks who post based on how these things are handled in their local area or state, not knowing what the procedures are in the other 49 plus DC. Plus, like I posted he could also be a scum bag. Not up to me to decide.

We don't know when the cruise is and if he would have time to rectify the problem before the cruise.

I am not big on bible thumping as some folks are but I like Luke on judging others, Matthew was awfully long winded: “Judge not, and you will not be judged; condemn not, and you will not be condemned; forgive, and you will be forgiven."

It was actually the OP who set the tone for the judgmental remarks by the slanting side of the question to begin with.

The potential passenger knows IN ADVANCE (through the passport denial) that there is a problem. That is the key to this situation -- he actually knows in advance and is not merely a passenger using a birth certificate that gets surprised by customs upon disembarking.

Instead of taking the route of running to fix the problem, the question was raised about whether he could potentially sneak on and off the cruise without his passport and what would happen to him when he re-enters the U.S.

If it were an error, honest mistake or court/administrative error, it is more likely that the passenger would have run immediately to fix the error rather than ask the type of question that was posed here.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

I did not get the impression at all that the OP was "slanting" the story at all. Thank you for proving my point.

Some of you folks have never dealt with a vindictive spouse. I also like folks who post based on how these things are handled in their local area or state, not knowing what the procedures are in the other 49 plus DC. Plus, like I posted he could also be a scum bag. Not up to me to decide.

We don't know when the cruise is and if he would have time to rectify the problem before the cruise.

I am not big on bible thumping as some folks are but I like Luke on judging others, Matthew was awfully long winded: “Judge not, and you will not be judged; condemn not, and you will not be condemned; forgive, and you will be forgiven."

Well said.

Just curious..on a few cruises I have seen individuals taken off in handcuffs at the end of a cruise. I always assumed it was something drug related. Now it could very well be related to something like child support. Why wouldn't the courts arrest the individual in their home town rather than wait until they return from a trip?

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Make sure the dead-beat dad posts on a roll-call - he'll get lots of sympathy there! :rolleyes:

Judgemental posts like these do nothing to answer the OP question. You do not know the circumstances of the arrears.

To the OP, have him contact his case manager to make sure he is OK to leave the country.

Also, there is a red triangle at the top of each post. If you click on the triangle, you can report the abusive posts and ask for them to be deleted.

I have been on both ends of this.

Had a friend in the USA who was coming to scotland to visit us. He had arrears on his child support, not though any fault of his own but rather due to un employment in the past etc. He was paying all his payments to current child support each week but over and above that had arrears to pay.

We had no idea but when he applied for the passport he couldnt get one and so no trip to scotland for him.

So as for people saying he should have been paying his child support not going on holiday , well he WAS.

On the flip side in the UK the child support agency here could do with taking a leaf out of the USA book lol .

My ex husband didnt pay CS for YEARS because he was with a new partner who had children of her own, and once they assesed his income there was no cash left for his own kids. His new house his holidays her kids, his new car etc etc all came before his own children. No stop is put on any passports or any other thing on absent parents in the UK.

I think from converstations I had with your child support people over the phone from here trying to get this cleared up for my friend they made it clear that he would be arrested if he attempted to leave USA soil on his way back, for like a cruise or the such. However they were very helpful and gave excellent information so I suggest your friend just phones them and asks.

The only reason someone should be denied a passport or have a warrant issued is if they are in default of a child support obligation. Doesn't matter if it's a current obligation or for arrearages.

I don't believe anyone said a warrant should be issued; just that if he's behind on his child support he shouldn't be spending money on a cruise. The OP has since returned to say the girlfriend gave him the cruise as a gift so that angle is a moot point now.

Yeah, but this guy apparently has a payment play approved by the court. That would seem to indicate that this is not a matter of him being charged wrongfully.

Hi all --

Friends of ours have a 5-night Bermuda sailing planned for May. One friend recently applied for his passport, which was denied because he owes child support. He is on a payment plan for this. I know that technically, on a closed-loop cruise, a passport is not necessary.

Does anybody know if a denied passport means he cannot leave the country? Will homeland security review the manifest and he be denied boarding at the port? Any insight is helpful! Thanks.

A denied passport application is not, in and of itself, a bar to leaving the country.

A driver's license and birth certificate will normally suffice for a closed loop cruise, subject to the usual caveats. The BC must be government issued, to a US born citizen. Also, Puerto Rican BC's issued prior to 7/1/2010 are invalid.

Check with your cruise line - some lines impose a passport requirement anyway.

the part about not being allowed to be judgmental and having to limit oneself to answering the OP's "question", period.

This is a "discussion" board. Doesn't that mean discussion?

Obviously, nobody should be rude towards other people, but there is definitely a way of disagreeing and playing the other side of the fence in an educated discussion without being rude.

If we are not allowed to discuss and are only allowed to answer the OP's question, then every thread on cruise critic should consist of two posts after the original post -- one post providing a two line answer to the question, and another post with the OP coming back to say thank you.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Oh, ok. You kind of made it sound like he was in a cell pointing to his chest for hours before anyone put 2 + 2 together. Back to the child support dude. Skin him alive for taking a cruise.................lol

No the poster did not make it sound anyway at all. You took it the way you chose to. Cells were never mentioned. Processing was.

Archived