Question about the elderly...

I'm traveling with a group of family members and friends on May 6, on the Jewel and we have my grandmother with us. Now, she's up there in age and she's in the kind of shape where she needs to sit down and rest after a grocery shopping trip to Wal Mart, but she moves around pretty well. With that said, I'm really interested in getting her one of those mobile scooters/wheelchairs. I just got off the Ruby Princess and saw a lot of people with them and it made me wonder if perhaps the cruise lines have them available on the ships? Does anyone know if RCI has them available for guests and if so is there a charge? I don't mind paying for it. She doesn't use one at home but moving around a cruise ship is a lot to handle for anyone!!

Thanks for any advice.

Zach

I'm traveling with a group of family members and friends on May 6, on the Jewel and we have my grandmother with us. Now, she's up there in age and she's in the kind of shape where she needs to sit down and rest after a grocery shopping trip to Wal Mart, but she moves around pretty well. With that said, I'm really interested in getting her one of those mobile scooters/wheelchairs. I just got off the Ruby Princess and saw a lot of people with them and it made me wonder if perhaps the cruise lines have them available on the ships? Does anyone know if RCI has them available for guests and if so is there a charge? I don't mind paying for it. She doesn't use one at home but moving around a cruise ship is a lot to handle for anyone!!

Thanks for any advice.

Zach

Yes you may rent them,they bring them directly to your cabin.I don't have the name but if you check on the disability board on cruise critic boards I am sure you will find anything you need.:)

Thanks for any advice.

Zach

The cruiseline does not have them to borrow but you can rent one from a company that delivers directly to her cabin on the ship and will pick it up from the ship afterwards. They don't fit through normal size cabin doorways, depending on the scooter, so you will most likely need to book her an accessible cabin.

Hi,

Call the cruiseline or your travel agent, and they will set it up for you. They have companies they work with. I did this for my mother in law a few years ago.

It was at her cabin when we got to the ship. You can also ask for a wheelchair at the port, until you get to the scooter.

Enjoy your cruise.

The cruiseline does not have them to borrow but you can rent one from a company that delivers directly to her cabin on the ship and will pick it up from the ship afterwards. They don't fit through normal size cabin doorways, depending on the scooter, so you will most likely need to book her an accessible cabin.

The odds of getting a handicapped cabin little more than a month out will be almost impossible. Also, an elderly person might have difficulty maneuvering a scooter around a crowded ship if he or she isn't used to driving one. How about getting her a rollator (like a walker but with a seat in case she wants to sit and rest). You could buy or rent a folding wheelchair that could fit into a regular cabin but then someone would need to be responsible for pushing her around.

The odds of getting a handicapped cabin little more than a month out will be almost impossible. Also, an elderly person might have difficulty maneuvering a scooter around a crowded ship if he or she isn't used to driving one. How about getting her a rollator (like a walker but with a seat in case she wants to sit and rest). You could buy or rent a folding wheelchair that could fit into a regular cabin but then someone would need to be responsible for pushing her around.

I realize that handicap cabins are not always available but the OP needs to know that grandma will need an accessible cabin if he orders her a scooter. Who knows, maybe they already have her an accessible cabin and the scooter will not be an issue.

Edited by reallyitsmema

We were just on Jewel, and there was an elderly couple that had rented a motorized cart, and didnt have an accessible room.

The cart was parked in the hall every night. I was a little suprised that was allowed.

The sad part about using electic carts, is they often wait a long time to get an elevator that is empty enough to get the cart on. Some don't care if it's empty, they wheel right in running over feet ! :eek:

I have a suggestion on future ships, that one elevator on each end is designated W/C, and it takes a seapass card ( which is programmed for handicap) to allow them to call the elevator.

I think that would save grief on all parties involved.

Thanks for any advice.

Zach

Does she know, and will she use it? Sometimes older people get stubborn, and refuse a wheelchair even if they need it.

If you don't have a HC cabin, using/storing the wheelchair will be difficult. Maybe a walker on wheels is easier? You can find more info in "disabled travel" if you scroll down on the forum page.

i have used a scooter on the last 4 cruises i have taken. i always book

a junior suite. the scooter fit thru the junior suite door.

i always rent from care vaction. the sooter is in my cabin when i get there and i leave it in the cabin when i am ready to leave.

it does take a bit to get use to driving a scooter. and some times you

have to ride an elevator up to go down or down to go up.

We were just on Jewel, and there was an elderly couple that had rented a motorized cart, and didnt have an accessible room.

The cart was parked in the hall every night. I was a little suprised that was allowed.

The sad part about using electic carts, is they often wait a long time to get an elevator that is empty enough to get the cart on. Some don't care if it's empty, they wheel right in running over feet ! :eek:

I have a suggestion on future ships, that one elevator on each end is designated W/C, and it takes a seapass card ( which is programmed for handicap) to allow them to call the elevator.

I think that is a great idea. I have a foot that can get very very sore. I take the stairs as much as possible but by the end of the cruise if I have to go up more than 2 decks it just gets too hard. I wouldn't plan on using the HC elevator but I get tired of the people in WC and scooters thinking they have first dibs on the elevator when you have been waiting for awhile and they just arrived.

Don't get a scooter if your grandma isn't used to one. My mother used a scooter all the time in her retirement community, but she was overwhelmed trying to use it on the ship.

I'd recommend a rollator with a seat and/or a transport chair (not a wheelchair). Both of these items come in lightweight collapsible versions and are available on Amazon. You have a family group who can pitch in and push grandma for the longer distances - some places on the ship are a hike and some of the piers are really overwhelming, particularly in the hot sun. Spend the money and get something that you may have an ongoing future use for.

Talk to Grandma. My dad, graddad was 87 when his twin daughters graduated from college. We knew there would be a lot of walking so we rented a wheel chair for the two weeks. He was insulted and refused to use it although he would have benefited. If she won't due small wheel chair for use in maybe just getting up embarking ramps, off and perhaps evening events or as suggested, the walker with seat. But more importantly,compromise with Grandma andcommunicate. You are blessed to be able to travel together.

I realize that handicap cabins are not always available but the OP needs to know that grandma will need an accessible cabin if he orders her a scooter. Who knows, maybe they already have her an accessible cabin and the scooter will not be an issue.
I need a handicapped cabin,when I was checking cruises for April 2014 I got the last one on any Celebrity ship.We must book that far in advance to be sure to get one. :(

I need a handicapped cabin,when I was checking cruises for April 2014 I got the last one on any Celebrity ship.We must book that far in advance to be sure to get one. :(

Keep an eye on the Tuesday sale, there have been handicap cabins available many times the last couple of months. I just looked, none on this week's sale but never know about next week.

PLEASE be careful here. We took my mom to Disney World when she was in her mid 70's. My mom is not in the greatest shape. I offered to rent a scooter for her. When I saw her eyes well up, I had to think fast. "By the end of the day, I think I would appreciate the thing and kick you out of it. Or see if it comes with a sidecar!" Instead, we took it easier and enjoyed Disney World even more! We are taking mom on a cruise in 2 weeks. We will walk slower, enjoy benches and other places to sit. We might miss a few things to do. But we'll let her set the pace and decide when we need to rest. And we will agree that a little break is much-needed whenever it happens.

Thanks for any advice.

Zach

Zach,

You are a sweet and thoughtful young man.

Enjoy the time with your Grandmother, it is

such a treat to get to travel with her.:)

I am in similar condition to OP's grandmother. After a while of walking, I just need to sit for a bit. I purchased a fold-up stool that opens and closes quickly, is very sturdy, weighs under 3 pounds and is about the size of a rolled up newspaper when folded. Got it on Amazon for about $12.00. Take it everywhere when I expect to either do a lot of walking or waiting in line. The model I bought was called the slacker. Much more comfortable than it looks.

You do not need a handicapped room to have a wheelchair/scooter onboard. We have done this many times. I specifically asked when booking our August cruise. The cruise line likes to save the handicapped staterooms for people who need the extra space and accessible bathroom feature. My grandmother needs her scooter for long walks, but can walk on her own for short to medium distances and has no trouble getting in/out of a tub. We have a suite in August and should be able to fit the scooter without any issues, but otherwise, RCCL said that they will find a safe place in the hallway to store grandma's ride.

Talk to Grandma before renting anything. I took my mom on a cruise last year and rented a wheelchair (delivered to the room) and it was just occupying space. Mom refused to use it and she was aware I was renting one. She took her walker with her and took it down to the ports and sometimes around the ship. I too thought it would be too much walking for her, but she did pretty well.

• 11 months later...

I'm 85, widower, use a walker. No problem on NOS last Dec. Several ladies used battery carts, even onto tenders at Belize. But, if she needs rest, I go with a rollator, with a seat. Hope she will enjoy her cruise.

I'm 85, widower, use a walker. No problem on NOS last Dec. Several ladies used battery carts, even onto tenders at Belize. But, if she needs rest, I go with a rollator, with a seat. Hope she will enjoy her cruise.

This thread was started a year ago, so pardon the pun but that ship has sailed.

Does she know, and will she use it? Sometimes older people get stubborn, and refuse a wheelchair even if they need it.

If you don't have a HC cabin, using/storing the wheelchair will be difficult. Maybe a walker on wheels is easier? You can find more info in "disabled travel" if you scroll down on the forum page.

My DH has trouble walking distances and with ramps.

If you email special_needs@rccl.com with a request they will accommodate with a wheelchair and a "pusher" at the curb on embarkation day and deliver (with the family tagging along :) ) her to the cabin if it's ready or the Windjammer if not. For disembarkation they will reverse the process. You don't keep that wheelchair - it's just provided (free) for getting on and off the ship on the first and last days.

Excursions aren't too bad because the gangplank is normally on a low deck with elevators going down to that deck.

With this aid she may be able to do with a simple wheelchair or walker rather than an electric cart.

PS - DH says using his cane really helps onboard and on excursions.

Edited by summersigh

Hello!

I have been trapped in a scooter since an accident a few years ago. Since then I have sailed on the Brilliance, Jewell and Explorer.

Each time we have been in a regular aft facing cabin. I prefer a Pride Revo 3 wheel scooter. It's nimble, plenty of power and fits through the cabin doors.

I am able to bring it into the D1 cabin, turn it around alongside the bed and park it alongside the big sofa with plenty of room to move about. It is very easy to charge here just across from the desk area.

I do not feel right leaving it in the hallway in the way. This way is out of everyone's way and ready for launch fully charged.