Well Now, This Is a Lovely Surprise.......

sail7seas

Our mail just came and included was an envelope from HAL addressed to both DH and me.

Enclosed were two of the little blue pouches we recognize as containing Mariner Pins and, indeed, that is what was inside.

We each received a brushed silver/platinum colored Five Star Mariners Pin the same size as the gold ones we all recognize.

It has five stars arranged in a arc as in my signature with the Mariner Star Logo Beneath.

The platinum color makes them stand out from the Four Star and other Mariners Pins and the softer color is attractive.

Thank you, Mariners Society.

We're pleased to receive them and particularly look forward to enjoying some of the new amenities attached to being Five Star. :)

Very nice Judy! Sigh....a new goal to shoot for. I was so pleased to reach 4-star status. I have to say that platinum goes much better with my personality and my coloring. I guess I'll just have to keep booking more HAL cruises more often and spending more onboard.

FINALLY!!!! Congratulations on being the first to post! Really happy that these pins are out.

So, how about posting a photo.

Hope to get ours next week, as the mail is sooooo slow to Canada.

Thanks for posting!

Actually, SilvertoGold, it was you I was thinking of and why I posted this thread. We had chatted about these pins a while ago and no one had mentioned them since. I hope you receive yours very soon. Please let us know when they arrive.

Thanks everyone for the nice messages.

I like some of the benefits we'll start to enjoy. :)

I think it won't be long before there will be many going from Four to Five Star. Lots of great cruises along the way.

Mine came, too! :) It's an attractive pin; seems more substantial than the 4* pins. I still wish it were more like the pins that came with the medallions, but this one is nice enough that I may wear it once in a while.

Like for boarding. :D

Every 5* Mariner should be on the look-out for the package in the mail.

Mine came, too! :) It's an attractive pin; seems more substantial than the 4* pins. I still wish it were more like the pins that came with the medallions, but this one is nice enough that I may wear it once in a while.

Glad yours has arrived too RuthC - the two posters that are helpful and well travelled - glad you got yours:D

Super, Ruth! Hope you got a nice surprise opening that envelope!

I am sure it will take at least a week more to get the pins up here in the Great White North. So strange, since both you and Sail are on the east coast and we are about 150 miles from Seattle.

One question: can you tell the difference between the 3 star and 5 star pins, as both seem to be silver in color? I have to scrunch my eyes up to tell how many stars on these pins, as is, unless I am almost sittng right besides the persons wearing them!

One question: can you tell the difference between the 3 star and 5 star pins, as both seem to be silver in color?

I don't know that I've ever seen a 3* pin.

I don't recall ever having trouble distinguishing between a silver and a platinum medallion, but that might have been as much due to the ribbon as the metal. The shade of the medallion did seem different, though. So, I think the same may be true of the pins.

These really do have the feel of quality, though, which my 4* pin does not.

Perhaps we should all take a HAL cruise quick-quick and do a study of the situation??? ;)

Actually, SilvertoGold, it was you I was thinking of and why I posted this thread. We had chatted about these pins a while ago and no one had mentioned them since. I hope you receive yours very soon. Please let us know when they arrive.

Thanks everyone for the nice messages.

I like some of the benefits we'll start to enjoy. :)

I think it won't be long before there will be many going from Four to Five Star. Lots of great cruises along the way.

Sail

Thanks for thinking of me. I was wondering, too, when HAL would send them out.

You must be ready for another cruise soon: are you planning to wear your Platinum pin or these new 5 star ones? A bit of a choice, but I think HAL prefers the star pins, whereas we much prefer the medallion pins. Maybe we will wear both!

Thanks for starting this thread!

I don't know that I've ever seen a 3* pin.

I don't recall ever having trouble distinguishing between a silver and a platinum medallion, but that might have been as much due to the ribbon as the metal. The shade of the medallion did seem different, though. So, I think the same may be true of the pins.

These really do have the feel of quality, though, which my 4* pin does not.

Perhaps we should all take a HAL cruise quick-quick and do a study of the situation??? ;)

I'm happy your pin arrived today. I agree it seems to have a better feel than our Four Star Pin.

I think the color of this pin is distinctly different from the gold color of the other pins and I'd be surprised if it doesn't 'stand out a bit'. So far as I know, the other pins are all golden color.

Sail

Thanks for thinking of me. I was wondering, too, when HAL would send them out.

You must be ready for another cruise soon: are you planning to wear your Platinum pin or these new 5 star ones? A bit of a choice, but I think HAL prefers the star pins, whereas we much prefer the medallion pins. Maybe we will wear both!

Thanks for starting this thread!

When I wear a pin, like on a blazer lapel, I'd wear our Platinum Medallion Pin. That represents 700 actual days' vs the Five Star Pin which represents 500 (or more) days but includes the bonus days.

I'm happy to have this pin, appreciate Mariners Society sent it to us and probably will pin it to the ribbon on our Platinum Medallions.... Platinum trumps it, don't you think? But I definitely do like the Five Star Pin enough to wear it. :)

Hopefully, your pins will arrive in the next few days. Please let us know and let us know what you think of it.

I'm happy your pin arrived today. I agree it seems to have a better feel than our Four Star Pin.

I think the color of this pin is distinctly different from the gold color of the other pins and I'd be surprised if it doesn't 'stand out a bit'. So far as I know, the other pins are all golden color.

Sail

If you Google under Images "4 star pins holland america", you can see that the 2, 3 and 4 star pins are defintely different colors.

Interesting descriptions of the "better feel", the "feel of quality".

I look forward to receiving ours!

Archived