Mickey Arison

mississauga

I know I may not be impartial on the subject, but I think those 2 guys put a very negative view of Carnival. They are not registrared in USA for a reason, called TAXES

Maybe they should dump in a little money for the coast guard. Carnival is not the only line used the tax shelter.

OMG , they are using the ambulance chaser, James Walker as lead witness against the defense.

I say that because every so often an inflammatory item is begun on CC about how horrible the cruise lines are.

The cruise line is variable but the source is not. It always refers back to the Walker & O'Neill law firm.

Boy is this going to be a hatchet job which may even be deserved but seriously, James Walker? Yuck.

I know I may not be impartial on the subject, but I think those 2 guys put a very negative view of Carnival. They are not registrared in USA for a reason, called TAXES

Maybe they should dump in a little money for the coast guard. Carnival is not the only line used the tax shelter.

Baloney.

No major cruise line has ships flagged in the US because of absurd laws including requiring the ship to be built in the US. The US has made itself non-competitive in a global economy.

NCL has a US flagged ship but it took an act of Congress to get a waver.

It is sad when carnival has to ask for help from the US Coast Guard

and then the tax payers have to pick up the tab.

Just watched Rock Center with Brian Williams and the section on carnival.

Carnival pays 0.6 taxes

wish I only had to pay the same amount:mad:

Baloney.

No major cruise line has ships flagged in the US because of absurd laws including requiring the ship to be built in the US. The US has made itself non-competitive in a global economy.

NCL has a US flagged ship but it took an act of Congress to get a waver.

Agreed. And aren't those cruises uber expensive because of all the US paid labor?

Not to mention the high-and-mighty Rockefeller. I have no use for any of those idiots in Washington.

And is Arison supposed to be front and center at every issue? There are some very highly paid executives that are supposed to handle those situations.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I watched it.

Bottom line is Congress wrote the tax code and even the Congressman had to admit it is legal for Carnival to pay little in taxes. They are not breaking any law. The law may need changing but don't blame Carnival for that.

Idiots! What was their taxes as a percentage of net income NOT gross revenues. No compny would look good if based on gross revenue.

I am guessing that you are a forensic accountant by the tone of your question, but here are the actual numbers from the last 3 years with 000's omitted. Seems that the story is accurate.

Income Before Tax $1,302,000 $1,912,000 $1,979,000 Income Tax Expense $4,000 $0 $ 1,000

Baloney.

Wow, the person first in line to drop kick anyone critical of CCL and usually has some sarcastic comment about the US Government - but, you're OK with your favorite company paying no taxes? Oh yeah, all cruise lines do it so it is OK.

I always thought Brian Willams was an honest, fair, impartial reporter. Not anymore. What a one sided report.

Rockefeller forgot to mention how many US corporations pay no taxes at all. Wonder if he'll go after the oil companies, or GE?

I would have no problem with the Coast Guard charging Carnival, or any other cruise line for some things. A situation like the Triumph or the Splendor. When they are rescuing a US citizen, well isn't that what our taxes pay for?

Sad thing is they could have done a good story just being fair, including other cruise lines and mentioning how many other corporations pay no taxes.

The only thing I learned was that Arrison owns the Miami Heat. If he can afford a basketball team maybe he could stop doing all the cut backs on Carnival?

Go Jay Rockefeller.

Before you cheer him on remember he comes from big oil and we, the taxpayers, actually give them money. Lots of corporations pay no taxes.

Carnival pays 0.6 taxes

I think when they need help, like with the Triumph & Splendor, they should pay. When the Coast Guard transports a sick passenger there should be no charge, unless the passenger isn't a US citizen. It's the Coast Guard's job to rescue ships and people.

Let me add that I think if a US citizen was rescued by another countries coast guard then they could be charged too.

Wow, the person first in line to drop kick anyone critical of CCL and usually has some sarcastic comment about the US Government - but, you're OK with your favorite company paying no taxes? Oh yeah, all cruise lines do it so it is OK.

And many corporations. If you don't like it, change the tax laws. Corporations would be stupid not to exploit loopholes. It has nothing to do with Carnival Corp which is much more than just the Carnival cruise line.

Of course, Micky Arison also pays taxes.

No taxes? What taxes did Royal or NCL pay? I have very little money invested in Carnival and basically the same in Royal. Now that NCLH exists will probably pick up some of that.

Cruise ships home ported in the US generate millions to the local economies and lots of jobs. That alone trickles up/down to taxes. I don't think any are complaining.

If the USCG sent Carnival a bill, I have little doubt they would pay. Pocket change. Of course, I suppose Carnival could bill the USCG for preparing the training exercise for them.

Info from the program -

CCL makes billions, pays just 0.6% (<1%) in taxes.

2 of the recent problems cost $800,000 and >$1.5m (in coast guard expenses, I think), paid for by U.S. taxpayers.

Congress (Rockefeller) wants to close the loophole that allows this.

Are cruisers willing to pay more to cover these costs? (Hint: No.)

Miami loves Micky A because of the Heat's wins, corporations envy him.

Micky never goes to the scene of the disaster.

CCL has a PR problem.

Am I saying anything we haven't seen repeatedly?

I think when they need help, like with the Triumph & Splendor, they should pay. When the Coast Guard transports a sick passenger there should be no charge, unless the passenger isn't a US citizen. It's the Coast Guard's job to rescue ships and people.

Let me add that I think if a US citizen was rescued by another countries coast guard then they could be charged too.

I have an opposite feeling about this. Our town just implemented that all ambulance transports will be billed to the 'victim' they are transporting. It used to be free for residents. The same thing should apply to all rescues/transports/air lifts from the USCG, not to be free for US citizens. That is why you should get insurance.

Carnival pays 0.6 taxes

Then your problem is with the USCG for not sending a bill. Of course, the USCG is responsible not only for approving cruise port and ship security, but also for inspecting and approving the ships for safety. Hmmm.

Do you refuse all deductions and pay tax on your total income? I don't think many individuals do. Even Warren Buffet says he should be paying more taxes and could certainly afford to.

I have an opposite feeling about this. Our town just implemented that all ambulance transports will be billed to the 'victim' they are transporting. It used to be free for residents. The same thing should apply to all rescues/transports/air lifts from the USCG, not to be free for US citizens. That is why you should get insurance.

Medical insurance? I am delighted that it will finally be guaranteed to be available.

As for the USCG, why don't they send bills. I am quite certain their service does not check passports. It is inline with their charter.

Info from the program -

CCL makes billions, pays just 0.6% (<1%) in taxes.

2 of the recent problems cost $800,000 and >$1.5m (in coast guard expenses, I think), paid for by U.S. taxpayers.

Congress (Rockefeller) wants to close the loophole that allows this.

Are cruisers willing to pay more to cover these costs? (Hint: No.)

Miami loves Micky A because of the Heat's wins, corporations envy him.

Micky never goes to the scene of the disaster.

CCL has a PR problem.

Am I saying anything we haven't seen repeatedly?

Your recap is perfect. +1

That is exactly what I heard from the report.

Archived