glojo

Options for Queen Catherine  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Options for Queen Catherine

• Queen Elizabeth style with extended bow
    • Stepped stern plus extended bow
    • Queen Victoria type stern with extended bow
    • Vista class

Hi John, Interesting read, but the two and three stack versions are a non starter, too much upper deck space lost:D I have sailed on all three current Cunard ships and prefer QM2 to the other two, all though, they also have their good bits. The Commodore lounges on QV and QE are far better than QM2 with the full width glass front, the Chart Room on QM2 has really no comparison to anything on QV or QE. It is really horses for courses I suppose, but if Cunard were to introduce another ship, I cannot see them going to the expense of designing another liner, so would probably opt for another Vista.:(

Hi John, Interesting read, but the two and three stack versions are a non starter, too much upper deck space lost:D I have sailed on all three current Cunard ships and prefer QM2 to the other two, all though, they also have their good bits. The Commodore lounges on QV and QE are far better than QM2 with the full width glass front, the Chart Room on QM2 has really no comparison to anything on QV or QE. It is really horses for courses I suppose, but if Cunard were to introduce another ship, I cannot see them going to the expense of designing another liner, so would probably opt for another Vista.:(

;)Nice to hear from you and I guess the dummy funnels might take up extra space but the Queen Mary already has the two horrible looking things which could be replaced by one and the third funnel would or could be a lightweight dummy funnel or it could be a very nice observation area.

Like wise with the Queen Elizabeth, the second funnel would be a dummy one and we can leave it to the imagination of the Naval Architects as to what if any use they could make of it. None however would take up any cabin space as they are not connected to anything below them.

Does the rear of the main funnel on the Queen Mary 2 already hold the gas turbines?

In this modern age I am guessing it would indeed be VERY expensive to opt for a completely new or original design for a cruise ship and sad person that I am, I tend to read numerous forums that talk about Cunard cruise ships. The main complaints about the Vista class is the vibration and.... They are not liners!!!

If a new ship was ordered then would modifying the bow of this excellent class kill two birds with one stone? Obviously it is not just a case of plonking on a few extra sheets of steel, but would it be a consideration if this vibration is as significant as some folks allege?

This forum is the only place I find that is so pro Queen Mary 2 and here are just a few observations that are regualrly made about the Queen Mary 2

After going to a show folks complaining about walking through the Britannia Restaurant to get to the Queen’s Room. Walking through the Todd English to get to a pool deck.

Commodore Club was claustrophobic with the heavy wooden walls between windows thus restricting viewing.

Folks complaining about the area around the theatre, planetarium and computer suite being very confusing on.

The area for the Grills is much more preferable on QV & QE too, nicely tucked away

we preferred the queens room on qm2 but that's because we like like to dance and its bigger

On QM2, our dinner table was located on the 'walkway' through the Britannia Restaurant

the the four buffet restaurants are a bit confusing

having to get to the Queens Room via the Britannia restaurant or the photo gallery and again complaining about the ‘strange’ layout in the Britannia restaurant.

These observations are made by regular Cunard cruisesr that sail on the different ships and are just comparing... My thoughts are the Queen Mary 2 is a huge ship that should out shine her smaller sisters in every way but reading these comments I do wonder.

Those that prefer the Queen Mary do so because they like her!!

You bring up valid points concerning QM2 interior quirks. I would agree with them. In a perfect world, we would have the Queen Vic interior in the QM2 hull.:eek: As far as the extra funnels, why not do like the Dubai braintrust was planning to do to QE2, rebuild the funnel as a condo tower.:eek::D

Edited by Jim Avery

You bring up valid points concerning QM2 interior quirks. I would agree with them. In a perfect world, we would have the Queen Vic interior in the QM2 hull.:eek: As far as the extra funnels, why not do like the Dubai braintrust was planning to do to QE2, rebuild the funnel as a condo tower.:eek::D

Thanks Jim and many a true word said in jest..

The front funnels are the dummy ones and who knows what can be fitted in those large spaces :)

Just me shooting the breeze as we all know this is never going to happen.

Should Cunard increase their fleet?

Perhaps have a Queen Catherine.

Are passenger numbers dwindling and they feel the need to try and attract a customer that might not like the Cunard style or are Cunard catering for an expanding market in either Australasia or the Asian continent? If there is a need to expand then how about my MkII Vista class?

I like the size of this type of cruise ship but listening to the more experienced voyagers it would appear this class has a way of shaking some of its passengers about with a dollop of flexing or vibration.

If these ships had a more sympatheticly designed bow would that make the ride more comfortable?

An angle grinder along with some super glue would do the trick as the front end of the QE2 might soon be available!! Failing that then just scale down the size of the Queen Mary 2 drawings and hey prestok it on the front of the new ship... izzz simple.

Take your pick of designs, some folks like the stepped back of the Queen Mary but sticking the whole stern onto the rear end would probably give us a Queen Mary 3 with the size to match.

I cheated and just used a tiny piece of her stern to avoid this and then used the other option which was the stepped rear of the queen Victoria and yes it is different from the Queen Elizabeth.

Just a bit of fun to pass away the day :)

1. Queen Elizabeth with Queen Mary 2 bow

2. Queen Elizabeth with a small section of Queen Mary stern + bow

3. Queen Elizabeth with the stern of the Victoria bow of the Queen Mary 2

4. Queen Elizabeth

QueenCatherinex_zpsd2046d04.jpg

IF... If there were ever a new Cunard ship and it had to be the size of the Vista class then what option would we want?

It is just a game, nothing serious and you don't have to play :D;)

How about Queen Camilla??(Yeah, like that ship would ever get out of the harbor)

Actually, threads on here suggesting the name "Queen Camilla" go back to 2005:rolleyes:.

There were some hugely entertaining and informative threads back then.

Peter

I can imagine as this is still hopefully a passionate topic where folks have long memories and are not prepared to forgive and forget!! ;)

;):) Here we go, please see link

I remember a rather nasty(depending on one's style of humor)joke about Camilla being involved in a serious accident with the Rolls Royce."We have good news & bad news" "Well, what is it??" "The bad news is that we lost Camilla!" "If that's the bad news, then, what, pray to God, is the good news??" "Uhhh, we were able to save the Rolls!"

Recently I read an article on the expansion.....that the canal maybe wider but the problem with the bridges is a factor & the ships passing underneath them & the QM2 was too tall to do so.

I'll try to find the article...anyone else hear this - I was looking forward to a world cruise RT NYC on QM2 going westward through the canal(my great uncle worked on the original buildout and lived in Panama with my aunt for years).

The high tide clearance under the Bridge of the Americas is 201 feet and the QM2 height is ~215 feet above the water.

Possibly it would fit at low tide but would they be able to plan with little leeway for delay?

EDIT: Several apparently authoritative sources state an "air draft" limit of 190 feet to pass beneath the Bridge of the Americas:

http://www.dnv.com/industry/maritime/publicationsanddownloads/publications/newsletters/technical_regulatory/2011/panamacanalexpansion.asp

http://www.shipsagent.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=22#o

Edited by Underwatr

Here's the definitive answer re: height - the Panama Canal Authority:

http://www.pancanal.com/eng/maritime/notices/n01-05.pdf

e. Maximum Height

The allowable height for any vessel transiting the Canal or entering the Port of Balboa at any state of the tide is 190 feet (57.91 m) measured from the waterline to its highest point. With prior permission from the Transit Operations Division manager, height may be permitted to 205 feet (62.5 m) on a case-by-case basis with passage at low water (MLWS) at Balboa. Maximum Height Restrictions are due to the tide and the unpredictable upward movement of water from swells, surges, waves, etc., and maintenance equipment suspended beneath the bridge at Balboa.

So it does not appear that we will be transiting the Canal aboard QM2 even after the expansion is finished.

Great idea for a Thread- I would like to see the second Model- nicely rounded Stern, great strong bow.

For the name, well I should think to name a ship after a Queen Consort one should wait until the person really IS the Qeen Consort- for whatever future King- so either Camilla or Catherine have to wait. I would suggest to stick with a former Queen Consort- an interessting as well as ( in her time ) famous Queen Consort- Queen Alexandra, Great-Grandmother to the regin Queen!

Great idea for a Thread- I would like to see the second Model- nicely rounded Stern, great strong bow.

For the name, well I should think to name a ship after a Queen Consort one should wait until the person really IS the Qeen Consort- for whatever future King- so either Camilla or Catherine have to wait. I would suggest to stick with a former Queen Consort- an interessting as well as ( in her time ) famous Queen Consort- Queen Alexandra, Great-Grandmother to the regin Queen!

:DScuse me...

I totally agree with your very valid points but.......

I did use the name of a consort and was thinking of Queen Catherine of Aragon

Catherine_aragon.jpg

If we were thinking of naming the ship after Camilla then why not consider Louisa!!!! :eek::o Ouch

A great TV series that was very popular but NO....

Either as you say a Queen, or Queen Consort.

However I confess to thinking about naming it the Duke of Edinburgh who I believe is an exceptional man that deserves this honour.

Ah I see- I did not thing that you went that fare back in histroy- I still can´t get the verse right: beheaded divorced, beheaded, survided... I miss some middle parts.. though. LOL.

If and I mean IF Camilla get´s the Queen Consort then a ship in her name is the propper thing to do. ( I am sure, IF Charles get´s on the throne after his mother- SHE will be QUEEN Camillia no matter what- and why not )

Duke of Edinburgh, nice idea- one of my favorite member of the Royal family- I so do love his remarks.

Should Carnival continue it's cost policies to the Cunard line.

Then the next ship may not be new but recycled. A cut and shunt with the bow of an old ice breaker and the stern of a retired super ferry.

"Let us name this ship Carmella" I hear cried as the Pomaigne splashes on it's aft.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

• 1 year later...

Can I vote for none of the above?

I love Mary, but that doesn't mean I don't think there are many, many things I would have done differently.

I've not sailed on QV/QE but there's such a wide pic of similar ships now that I'm not too fussed about trying them out.

I'd like to see something size wise similar to Oriana/Aurora. I find them generally very aesthetically pleasing (they still look 'ship' like) Ideally 1500-1800 pax.

As for names, they should re-use their heritage names. Mauretania is the obvious first choice, followed by a host of many others.

Oh I just love royal tittle tattle!

It must have occurred to some of you that the possibility of ER being dead by the time any ship conceived of now would actually be splashed is quite high. She is a very elderly lady.

In which event Queen Katherine might be a very fine choice! Barring unforseen tragedy she will, in all likelihood, be the next "Queen" in England.

And as I recall Henry had a Queen Katherine or two, I am sure one of them was spelt with a K at least occasionally.

And I would think that Cunard might consider a smaller boat that could access the less frequented ports of call. Maybe even river trips?

Edited by sarafinadh

Cunard can barely fill the three ships they have now without heavy discounting. I seriously doubt there are plans to expand the fleet. I would say the niche of people interested in a formal and traditional cruise experience is relatively small, and I don't really see that changing. If anything the majority of growth is with lines just the opposite of Cunard. Less structured, non-traditional, always casual experiences.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Cunard can barely fill the three ships they have now without heavy discounting. I seriously doubt there are plans to expand the fleet. I would say the niche of people interested in a formal and traditional cruise experience is relatively small, and I don't really see that changing. If anything the majority of growth is with lines just the opposite of Cunard. Less structured, non-traditional, always casual experiences.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Unfortunately, I think you are exactly on the mark.:D

Possibly a controversial opinion. But I think Cunard, if they were to build another ship should make the distinction between Liner and Cruise Ship and build another proper Liner. An identical twin for Queen Mary 2 - With more Grills staterooms, less Britannia, sorted Kings Court and Royal Court Theatre.

Then (Ducking from the possible outrage here) rename Queen Elizabeth and Queen Victoria to Aquitania and Mauretania and dare I also say it, possibly a little less formal.

As the name would then be free. Queen Mary 2's new twin, would then be explicitly named after our Reigning Monarch as Queen Elizabeth II

Kings Court would become Duke of Edinburgh's Court.

The Queen's Room would become "Diana's Room"

G32 would become "Harry's"

And as I'm building her with my fantasy billions. Harland & Wolff would be building her.

Edited by JollyJackTar52

Possibly a controversial opinion. But I think Cunard, if they were to build another ship should make the distinction between Liner and Cruise Ship and build another proper Liner. An identical twin for Queen Mary 2 - With more Grills staterooms, less Britannia, sorted Kings Court and Royal Court Theatre.

Then (Ducking from the possible outrage here) rename Queen Elizabeth and Queen Victoria to Aquitania and Mauretania and dare I also say it, possibly a little less formal.

As the name would then be free. Queen Mary 2's new twin, would then be explicitly named after our Reigning Monarch as Queen Elizabeth II

Kings Court would become Duke of Edinburgh's Court.

The Queen's Room would become "Diana's Room"

G32 would become "Harry's"

And as I'm building her with my fantasy billions. Harland & Wolff would be building her.

Why not resurrect John Brown's. I would think a bit smaller liner would make more sense. Yes, a new QE2.:eek::D:D

Given that the Prince of Wales is rumored to possibly become George V!! and not Charles III; it is possible that the Duchess of Cornwall will assume the name of her mother-in-law Elizabeth-Princess May of Teck became Queen Mary; and the present Queen decided to be called by her given name.

I like QM-2 for it speed and ability cruise smoothly even in rough weather, nothing beats a Ocean liner. QV is passenger friendly and all the facilities are bottom deck except Buffet which is on top deck. Navigating through QM-2 in cumbersome. The new ship should looks QM-2 an ocean liner,but facilities should be like QV. It should be hybrid of both ships

Carnival building a new ship, Princess also building new Royal Princess class ship. It is about time Cunard build another new Ocean liner.