Carnival will not pay for Coast Guard Assistance

I don't expect the Coast Guard to charge for their services anymore than I would expect to receive a bill from the local Fire Department for services rendered.

Were we planning on billing Iraq and Afghanistan for USA military services?

igraf

In Iraq, we certainly were. It was stated in 2003 that Iraqi oil revenues would pay for the occupation. (Google it; you'll find numerous citations.) For various reasons, this never happened. As for local fire services, etc., there are in fact a number of cash-strapped U.S. communities that are contemplating billing for services that used to be paid for from tax revenues. See http://www.presspublications.com/from-the-press/11394-oregon-proposes-soft-billing-for-rescue-services for one example.

Two wrongs don't make a right. Since our tax dollars go to create and support the Coast Guard, wouldn't that be double billing? And, shame on the fire department that charges to put out a fire or refuses to respond. Shouldn't they then be held accountable if they are slow to respond or don't put the fire out fast enough? Shows you how bad our society has become.

I think part of the argument would be that the CG was rescuing US taxpayers on board those ships. Having said that I would not have a problem with Carnival occurring some of the expenses for these mishaps.

I don't expect the Coast Guard to charge for their services anymore than I would expect to receive a bill from the local Fire Department for services rendered.

igraf

Where we live in Maryland we do have to pay the local fire dept for emergency services. Actually you have a choice. You can pay a yearly subscription which covers the costs or you can pay if there is an emergency. Either way you will pay for the service.

I really don't have an opinion on if they should be billed or not. Whats one more expense for the US to cover. Its not like it would be the first time US taxpayers had to foot the bill for someone else's stupidity!

Two wrongs don't make a right. Since our tax dollars go to create and support the Coast Guard, wouldn't that be double billing? And, shame on the fire department that charges to put out a fire or refuses to respond. Shouldn't they then be held accountable if they are slow to respond or don't put the fire out fast enough? Shows you how bad our society has become.

Our fire department requires an additional tax for services. It is paid yearly. This tax is voluntary. If you have not paid the tax and your house is on fire, the fire department will respond, but they are there in case another structure catches fire. They will let the non paying home burn to the ground.

Where we live in Maryland we do have to pay the local fire dept for emergency services. Actually you have a choice. You can pay a yearly subscription which covers the costs or you can pay if there is an emergency. Either way you will pay for the service.

I really don't have an opinion on if they should be billed or not. Whats one more expense for the US to cover. Its not like it would be the first time US taxpayers had to foot the bill for someone else's stupidity!

Where we live.....

Our yearly 'subscription' are the high real estate taxes we pay every quarter. That is what funds the city's services including teachers, police and fire, snow plows and DPW etc.

Do you pay real estate taxes to your city/town?

sail7seas,

How emergency services are handled can vary from community to community. Where we live now the Fire and Medical Emergency services are totally independent from the city and county taxes and fees we pay. City taxes/fees do include the police.

Anyhow, we vote separately on commissioners and rates for Fire/Medical services. While the County does collect funds for both the city and Emergency services they are not co-mingled. Now unlike a previous poster, we do not "choose" whether to pay for fire/emergency services, we are simply billed as a part of our county tax bill. Our Fire/Emergency services district covers a number of communities (cities and towns) beyond our city.

This type of set-up seems to be common where we live now, but in previous states all of the services were provided by our city folks.

igraf

I am not sure where you live but where I live in MN and I know they do the same thing in WI if the fire department shows up at your house for a call you most certainly are charged for it. Just like you are charged for ambulance service.

I don't think said services were invited.:eek:

As a US Citizen I differ with you WC. The US was indeed invited - the moment the terrorists decided to take over and plow our US planes into our World Trade Centers, our Pentagon and killed our people on our soil...we were invited on September 11, 2001.

And I also think Carnival should reimburse our US Coast Guard...the Carnival ships are not registered in the US and they avoid many corporate taxes that would typically be paid by a US registered corporation - so the argument that they should bill a Cuban refugee is pretty far off IMHO. The refugee is not a for profit corporation - there is a difference here...

Interesting thread and we find ourselves agreeing with Carnival's position. We, ourselves, have been on quite a few cruises (of various lines) when our ship had to divert or delay in order to render aid or check-out abandoned vessels. In fact, on a Prinsendam cruise last Spring we had to stop on 3 occasions (on a single cruise) to twice check-out abandoned boats and third time to render real aid to a sinking Portuguese Fishing Trawler. In that latter case our ship was stopped (dead in the water) for about 3 hours, took on all the survivors of the sinking boat, transferred those sailors to a Spanish Coast Guard helicopter, etc. We then had to make-up that lost time by burning additional fuel (at great cost to the cruise line). Our Captain made a point of saying that not only was stopping a requirement of international law, but it was a long tradition of the sea. And we should add that although this happened on a HA ship....HA is owned by CCL.

Hank

Why is this on the HAL board? Yes, Carnival CORPORATION controls HAL, but this is about Carnival Cruise Lines and their problems. Can't this be debated on their board? I can't really see how any of this helps current or future HAL cruisers prepare for their cruises or seek help about HAL.

Also, this is not a political board. Everyone has their own ideas about politics and appears to be easily offended. I witnessed an actual fist-fight on the Prinsendam over the channel showing the news in the Explorations Cafe. One gentleman wanted Fox and the other wanted CNN. After the altercation, which required several officers to step in and restrain the gentlemen after much name calling by the two men directed at the HAL employees, the channel was permanantly switched to the Bow Cam...too bad we can't do that with this thread. :cool:

Why is this on the HAL board? Yes, Carnival CORPORATION controls HAL, but this is about Carnival Cruise Lines and their problems. Can't this be debated on their board? I can't really see how any of this helps current or future HAL cruisers prepare for their cruises or seek help about HAL.

Some of us are interested in the larger world than just the Holland America portion of it. We know that the fortunes of Carnival Corporation are tied to the fortunes of Holland America. What happens to Carnival Cruiseline can have an impact on Holland America cruisers, too.

No one is required to follow a thread if they don't want to. If you feel so strongly that this thread does not belong here, the red triangle is your recourse. The moderators can decide whether or not we should discuss the sister company.

As a US Citizen I differ with you WC. The US was indeed invited - the moment the terrorists decided to take over and plow our US planes into our World Trade Centers, our Pentagon and killed our people on our soil...we were invited on September 11, 2001.

Iraq had nothing to do with 911 you know. What happened in Iraq was many times worse than the horror in nyc etc. Perhaps the US should be billed.:)

The fire department in my city does not charge because they are supported by my tax dollars. They don't service outside areas unless there is a massive fire, in which case there are reciprocal agreements with all area fire departments- they don't agree to help those that don't help them.

Therefore, I would feel better about Carnival not paying for services if they paid a bit more in taxes, but rather, like every other corporation, they use every legal means possible to avoid that; but still accept all the services the taxes should be paying for.

There is no such thing as a good corporate citizen anymore.

It cost USCG and the Navy a total of $3.4m to respond to Splendor, and USCG’s costs for Triumph were $780,000. US taxpayers foot these bills. ‘Given that you reportedly pay little or nothing in federal taxes, do you intend to reimburse the Coast Guard and the Navy ... ?’ Rockefeller asked.

Think about what you are asking people? If you want the cruise line to pay for services rendered then the cruise-line will just add those expenses to your S&S card...... $780,000 / 3000 pax = $260 for the triumph, they will never pay it out of their own pockets as for the splendor you do the math its ugly. All the cruise-lines are in business to make a profit any expense will be passed on to the customer

scrat

Think about what you are asking people? If you want the cruise line to pay for services rendered then the cruise-line will just add those expenses to your S&S card...... $780,000 / 3000 pax = $260 for the triumph, they will never pay it out of their own pockets as for the splendor you do the math its ugly. All the cruise-lines are in business to make a profit any expense will be passed on to the customer

scrat

So the whole taxpaying community has to subsidize the few among them who cruise?

Archived