Assigned Concierge Class or Guaranteed Aqua Class

dresterj

My first Celebrity cruise is approaching and I am excited. I'm currently booked in a concierge 3 cabin on Solstice. The cabin is located about 1/4 from the front of the ship. With the recent price drops after final payment, I now have the choice of upgrading to an Aqua guarantee for no extra cost (and no reimbursement of price difference).

I looked at a map of available Aqua cabins on an online travel site. There are Aqua 2 cabins at the very front and rear of the ship. There are also Aqua 1 cabins midship.

I have a couple of friends who are also on the cruise and are Aqua class. If I upgrade I would be able to eat with them in Blu - but I am not overly excited about Blu as I've seen MDR menus and like the food there.

However, I am usually dizzy for days (or weeks) post cruise when my cabin is too far front.

Any advice? What would you do? Is Aqua (over CC) worth not selecting cabin and risk of a front cabin?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMHO I wouldn't do it. I know it's sorely tempting, especially with the opportunity to eat in Blu with your friends, but recently I was in a suite (on NCL) that was very far forward, my first forward cabin ever, and even with a little bit of rough seas I couldn't stay in it. Even the butler told me to leave the cabin and go down 3 levels to the midship atrium and hang out there, and that did make a difference. For me, never again a forward cabin. Plus you'll be really high up which makes motion worse as well. I would really be tempted as well, but after my recent experience I would stick to as midship as possible. Hope your choice works out!

I have always been able to change a guarantee cabin once I receive an assignment, but it has to be in the identical category. Are you just looking at the cabins Celebrity says are available? Because they will only show 3 even though many more may be available. If you are being offered an AQ guarantee, that indicates there are LOTS of AQ cabins open--they wouldn't discount prices if there were only 3 to fill.

There are websites that show almost all of the available cabins and you need to check that out if you take the upgrade. Once you have an assignment, you can just call them or your TA and asked to be moved to a specific cabin in a better location for you. What ship and what date is your sailing?

Since you are after final payment, Celebrity policy will not let you change to a cabin that costs less than you paid for your current cabin....even if you don't want a refund. In order to change cabin classes, the new cabin must cost at least $1 more than you have currently paid. Given your post, I doubt that you actually have the option to change to aqua.

Now, there have been scattered reports that some have been able to do what you want...but most have been turned down once the TA goes to Celebrity to make the change....so like most Celebrity policies, it's inconsistent.

I have always been able to change a guarantee cabin once I receive an assignment, but it has to be in the identical category. Are you just looking at the cabins Celebrity says are available? Because they will only show 3 even though many more may be available. If you are being offered an AQ guarantee, that indicates there are LOTS of AQ cabins open--they wouldn't discount prices if there were only 3 to fill.

There are websites that show almost all of the available cabins and you need to check that out if you take the upgrade. Once you have an assignment, you can just call them or your TA and asked to be moved to a specific cabin in a better location for you. What ship and what date is your sailing?

My cruise is to Alaska on Solstice on May 31.

Rather than Celebrity website I looked at a travel agent website that has city in its name. I think I saw about 10-15 in each Aqua category - sorry, it was yesterday so I don't remember exact count.

When you have done guarantee when did you find your assignment?

Since you are after final payment, Celebrity policy will not let you change to a cabin that costs less than you paid for your current cabin....even if you don't want a refund. In order to change cabin classes, the new cabin must cost at least $1 more than you have currently paid. Given your post, I doubt that you actually have the option to change to aqua.

Now, there have been scattered reports that some have been able to do what you want...but most have been turned down once the TA goes to Celebrity to make the change....so like most Celebrity policies, it's inconsistent.

Yes, I had heard that about changing after final payment. I originally called my TA because the Aqua guarantee per person rate was $50 than my current rate. However somehow the total she was quoted by Celebrity (when she called Celebrity) and that came up in her system was less than my current fare. When she called Celebrity seemed willing to make the change if I wanted.

One more question, Cathy. You mention you've been able to change a guarantee as long as it is the identical category. Do you mean Aqua in general or specifically AQ1 vs. AQ2. So if I were assigned an AQ2 would I only be able to switch to another AQ2 or could I switch to AQ1. I didn't like the forward and aft locations of the AQ2 so I'd still be taking a risk that is get assigned to AQ2 if I cannot change to AQ1.

Thanks for your insights!

If you are assigned a guaranteed cabin, you can then (usually) change with no charge to another cabin in the exact same class...that is A1 to A1 or A2 to A2, but you can't change from A1 to A2 or A2 to A1.

I am on Soltice May 6. I recent upgraded for free to Aqua gty from a very nice C2. I was hesitant to give up my hand picked cabin, but I liked the idea of trying Blu. DH is less crazy about the Blu menus. I have been told here on CC that if we do not like Blu or just want a couple nights in the MDR, the Madre D's are generally accommodating...they want you to be happy, I am told, and likely will find you a seat in select dining. So I took the plunge this past weekend....I was assigned an A1 near the forward elevators about 3 days later; I think the cabin will be just fine.

I will say one night there were 13 A1 cabins to choose from...then the next day, I got my assignment, presumably along with other people holding aqua gty bookings, and only one or two A1's showed as available. So, not many options to swap cabins had I disliked my assignment. Of cousre, cabins could open up in coming days due to cancellations or upgrades and such.

Well, that is my story, though I am not sure if it helps you. If you really dread being way forward or aft, you probably do not want an A2. Maybe you should consider picking your own cabin...how much would you have to pay for an upgrade to an A1? 1552 is available on your cruise...Though the window wahing equipment is nearby, it is popular for the large balcony and convenient location. Or is that too far forward for you? You could read about 1593, 1587, 1561, 1564 on the sticky post. Good luck whichever decision you make.

I realize you can not post web site on here. I have always wanted to know what these websites are. Could someone please e mail me at Cindygad@aol.com.

I would go for Aqua every time

You can always eat in the MDR if you wish

also once assigned you can switch to

another cabin in the same category

if available

We did this last October and got 1558

Great location

1564 is even better

One more question, Cathy. You mention you've been able to change a guarantee as long as it is the identical category. Do you mean Aqua in general or specifically AQ1 vs. AQ2. So if I were assigned an AQ2 would I only be able to switch to another AQ2 or could I switch to AQ1. I didn't like the forward and aft locations of the AQ2 so I'd still be taking a risk that is get assigned to AQ2 if I cannot change to AQ1.

Thanks for your insights!

Yes, as mentioned, it does have to be the exact category: A2 for A2. So if you don't like the A2 locations, I would think twice about moving

I've read this comment before on these boards, but my experience has been different. Our TA has been able to switch us to a less expensive cabin with a very small difference in price after final payment and we actually got a refund of around $40 - although that was 2 or 3 years ago. Just this last December we switched from a 2C to a 1A cabin which had the exact same price we booked at following a price reduction after final payment.

Not so. We and many others on one of our upcoming cruises have done it. You do not get a refund, but you can move to a higher cabin category.

As I've said elsewhere, on our Eclipse B2B this past fall, they dropped the price on aqua cabins to exactly what I had paid for a C2 on the first cruise...and I saw that the same cabin was still available on the first cruise....so I wanted to change to keep the same cabin for both cruises. After working with one of (or actually the largest) Celebrity TA, I was told by a VP of Celebrity that I could not change from C2 to A2 because it was the same price...however if it was just $1 more, I could change. That IS their policy. The fact that some are finding that they can make changes after final payment to cabins that cost the same or less than they have paid is not per their policy...but as we all know, few at Celebrity seem to even know what their policy is.

I am liking Celebrity less and less these days....health inspections, selling to kids, the recent "Birthday" non usable $50 OBC.....I'm really thinking that Bayley is not in tune with running his company....and Celebrity is changing to a cruise line I am not liking as much.... Time will tell.

We have just returned from a 12 day cruise on the Solstice from Auckland to Sydney. We were originally booked in a Concierge cabin but after reading about Aqua we changed a few months after booking and then there was a huge price decrease so we ended up paying a lot less than was originally quoted. We were in 1636 on deck 11, which is towards

the back but in a great position close to the elevators and with very little movement.

We just loved Aqua and if we ever cruise on Celebrity again, we would only book Aqua. We loved having breakfast each morning in Blu and the dinners at night were excellent. We also could order anything from the main dining room menu and have it in Blu including escargots, the shrimp cocktail, french onion soup etc. We could also order in advance any dish that we wanted eg. I missed the lamb cutlets one night and so I was able to order them in advance for the next night.

We also loved our shower in our cabin which apparently is only in Aqua class. We also enjoyed using the Persian Garden and a lot of the extra perks that are only available to Aqua Class.

We were disappointed with the size of our cabin, having cruised on HAL, Princess, Oceania and Azamara and when booking a future cruise credit, we asked about the suites and discovered that only on the newest ship Reflection where there are Aqua suites, that those in the suites have to pay to go to Blu and then can only go if there is room.

I would definitely go for an Aqua Class guarantee as you can only win.

Thanks also to everyone who helped a novice Celebrity cruiser and answered all my questions prior to the cruise.

Jennie

As I've said elsewhere, on our Eclipse B2B this past fall, they dropped the price on aqua cabins to exactly what I had paid for a C2 on the first cruise...and I saw that the same cabin was still available on the first cruise....so I wanted to change to keep the same cabin for both cruises. After working with one of (or actually the largest) Celebrity TA, I was told by a VP of Celebrity that I could not change from C2 to A2 because it was the same price...however if it was just $1 more, I could change. That IS their policy. The fact that some are finding that they can make changes after final payment to cabins that cost the same or less than they have paid is not per their policy...but as we all know, few at Celebrity seem to even know what their policy is.

I am liking Celebrity less and less these days....health inspections, selling to kids, the recent "Birthday" non usable $50 OBC.....I'm really thinking that Bayley is not in tune with running his company....and Celebrity is changing to a cruise line I am not liking as much.... Time will tell.

ghstudio, was the A2 a Tuesday sale price perchance? Or another "new bookings only" price? I have not yet had a Tuesday price drop experience with X, but I have on RCI...For Tuesday sale prices, sometimes RCI resolutions dept will let a passenger upgrade if the passenger is paying more. Maybe X is doing the same. Not that either line is entirely consistent.

I was able to move last weekend post final payment from C2 to a less expensive senior rate A2. I doubt that would have worked if it had been a Tuesday sale vs a senior rate.

We were disappointed with the size of our cabin, having cruised on HAL, Princess, Oceania and Azamara and when booking a future cruise credit, we asked about the suites and discovered that only on the newest ship Reflection where there are Aqua suites, that those in the suites have to pay to go to Blu and then can only go if there is room.

I would definitely go for an Aqua Class guarantee as you can only win.

Thanks also to everyone who helped a novice Celebrity cruiser and answered all my questions prior to the cruise.

Jennie

Unless the Celebrity website is wrong I think you were given wrong information concerning Aqua Suites and paying to eat in Blu. It is listed as a benefit under Aqua Class and Aqua Suites.

Unless the Celebrity website is wrong I think you were given wrong information concerning Aqua Suites and paying to eat in Blu. It is listed as a benefit under Aqua Class and Aqua Suites.

Aqua Class cabins, including the AQ suites on the Reflection, have Blu as their assigned dining room and it is included in their cruise fare. Other suites have access to Blu on a space available basis. At one time the other suites (Sky Suites, Celebrity Suites, Royal Suites and Penthouse Suites) had a small cover charge for Blu if they were allowed in at all but I think they've eliminated that and just "suggest" a gratuity. But since that is a recent change (within the past year) it wouldn't surprise me if the Celebrity web site has some areas that were not updated to reflect this.

Aqua Class cabins, including the AQ suites on the Reflection, have Blu as their assigned dining room and it is included in their cruise fare. Other suites have access to Blu on a space available basis. At one time the other suites (Sky Suites, Celebrity Suites, Royal Suites and Penthouse Suites) had a small cover charge for Blu if they were allowed in at all but I think they've eliminated that and just "suggest" a gratuity. But since that is a recent change (within the past year) it wouldn't surprise me if the Celebrity web site has some areas that were not updated to reflect this.

Thanks for confirming what I was told by the Cruise Consultant on the Solstice. We were particularly interested as we would have liked a larger cabin next time but wanted to be able to enjoy the benefits of Aqua Class. We were told it would cost $5 each time per person if the suite passengers wanted to dine in Blu and then it was only if there were spaces available.

It does seem odd that you pay so much more for a suite and yet you don't get to go to Aqua. Only on the new ship Reflections can you have a suite and be in Aqua Class as they have added a whole floor and called it Aqua Suites.

Jennie

Thanks all for your inputs. After finding a couple of other friends (total of 4) are going and also are in Aqua/Blu I decided to take a chance and went with the Aqua guarantee. Hopefully I will get a good assignment since there are currently 9 A1s and 15 A2s.

My first Celebrity cruise is approaching and I am excited. I'm currently booked in a concierge 3 cabin on Solstice. The cabin is located about 1/4 from the front of the ship. With the recent price drops after final payment, I now have the choice of upgrading to an Aqua guarantee for no extra cost (and no reimbursement of price difference).

I looked at a map of available Aqua cabins on an online travel site. There are Aqua 2 cabins at the very front and rear of the ship. There are also Aqua 1 cabins midship.

I have a couple of friends who are also on the cruise and are Aqua class. If I upgrade I would be able to eat with them in Blu - but I am not overly excited about Blu as I've seen MDR menus and like the food there.

However, I am usually dizzy for days (or weeks) post cruise when my cabin is too far front.

Any advice? What would you do? Is Aqua (over CC) worth not selecting cabin and risk of a front cabin?

Yes.

Thanks all for your inputs. After finding a couple of other friends (total of 4) are going and also are in Aqua/Blu I decided to take a chance and went with the Aqua guarantee. Hopefully I will get a good assignment since there are currently 9 A1s and 15 A2s.

good luck with the assignment.

Please post when you get your assignment.

Archived