Any advice on where to stay in Venice pre-cruise?

Canclan

Hi! I hope I'm posting this in the right place but I'm having a hard time finding a hotel in Venice! There are so many to choose from. I don't want a dumpy hotel but a "middle of the road" one will work well for us. Also, I don't want to carry tons of luggage from the hotel to the cruise ship either. So, if there's any advice on a place that's close to the cruise ship and reasonable in price would be appreciated!

We've visited Venice a number of times and no longer feel we need to stay on the island itself. Last year, prior to the Ruby Princess TA, we stayed at the Best Western Hotel Bologna in Mestre.

The Hotel Bologna is right across the street from the Mestre train station, so getting to and from Venice is quick and easy. Train tickets are available at the hotel's front desk. We had a suite for less than €150 per night that was quite large and modern with a king bed. Breakfast was included and the staff was very helpful.

Getting to the port is easy by taxi and cost us €35 for two people with four pieces of luggage. Just ask the front desk to call a taxi and one will be at the door within 10 minutes. The taxi will bring you to the luggage drop for your cruise ship.

We enjoyed staying there so much last year, we booked it again for our stay prior to the Royal Princess TA this October.

Lew

The Piazzale Roma area is the closest to the Marittima pier. You pay for that closeness! The PRoma is the last point of travel for land vehicles so it's where your bus or taxi will drop you off. There are 2 hotels right at the square so no bridges to cross .. Santa Chiara and Ca'Doge. In the same area but 1 small bridge are Best Western Olimpia and the Arlecchino. Look at the options in this site. Near the bottom of the page is a hotel listing "how many bridges to cross".

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-cruise-terminal-hotels.htm

Or you could leave your luggage at the Left Luggage facility for 6E per 24hrsake and just put a few things in an overnight bag. This would enable you to stay anywhere in Venice.

Mestre is another option, especially by the train station. You get a lot more for your money, and more modern amenities. Mestre is on the mainland across the causeway from Venice, about 15 minutes by bus or train and under 2E. Mestre hotels can be found in the above link too.

Look at the next page of this forum and you'lll find a thread about hotels near the pier.

The PRoma is the last point of travel for land vehicles so it's where your bus or taxi will drop you off.

That statement might give someone the incorrect impression that those taking a taxi to a ship on embarkation day must exit at Piazzale Roma. That, of course, is not the case as taxis can drive beyond Piazzale Roma to Venezia Terminal Passeggeri, which is much closer to where their ship is berthed.

Lew

We decided to book the Hotel Londra to stay near St Mark's Square. In 2007 we stayed at the Bizancio and it was too old for our taste, but perfect location. It's easy to take a water taxi or the water bus to the pier from St Mark's and I read that now they have a water bus that goes directly there.

We love walking Venice at night and for us being near St Mark's is a must at night. :D:D

That statement might give someone the incorrect impression that those taking a taxi to a ship on embarkation day must exit at Piazzale Roma. That, of course, is not the case as taxis can drive beyond Piazzale Roma to Venezia Terminal Passeggeri, which is much closer to where their ship is berthed.

Lew

the turnoff to reach the pier is just BEFORE Piazzale Roma.

We've visited Venice a number of times and no longer feel we need to stay on the island itself. Last year, prior to the Ruby Princess TA, we stayed at the Best Western Hotel Bologna in Mestre.

The Hotel Bologna is right across the street from the Mestre train station, so getting to and from Venice is quick and easy. Train tickets are available at the hotel's front desk. We had a suite for less than €150 per night that was quite large and modern with a king bed. Breakfast was included and the staff was very helpful.

Getting to the port is easy by taxi and cost us €35 for two people with four pieces of luggage. Just ask the front desk to call a taxi and one will be at the door within 10 minutes. The taxi will bring you to the luggage drop for your cruise ship.

We enjoyed staying there so much last year, we booked it again for our stay prior to the Royal Princess TA this October.

Lew

Thank you so much! I did see that hotel but for four of us it's $358 a night. I know it's Venice and I just might bite the bullet and do it. It seems that they charge you a lot more if you have children in the room with you.

The Piazzale Roma area is the closest to the Marittima pier. You pay for that closeness! The PRoma is the last point of travel for land vehicles so it's where your bus or taxi will drop you off. There are 2 hotels right at the square so no bridges to cross .. Santa Chiara and Ca'Doge. In the same area but 1 small bridge are Best Western Olimpia and the Arlecchino. Look at the options in this site. Near the bottom of the page is a hotel listing "how many bridges to cross".

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-cruise-terminal-hotels.htm

Or you could leave your luggage at the Left Luggage facility for 6E per 24hrsake and just put a few things in an overnight bag. This would enable you to stay anywhere in Venice.

Mestre is another option, especially by the train station. You get a lot more for your money, and more modern amenities. Mestre is on the mainland across the causeway from Venice, about 15 minutes by bus or train and under 2E. Mestre hotels can be found in the above link too.

Look at the next page of this forum and you'lll find a thread about hotels near the pier.

What a fantastic website! Thank you!

Thank you so much! I did see that hotel but for four of us it's $358 a night. I know it's Venice and I just might bite the bullet and do it. It seems that they charge you a lot more if you have children in the room with you.

Did you check pricing on the hotel's website? If not, give it a try here. They have a lot of special deals.

Lew

Thanks for the taxi info. I was wondering about that.

We also are at a Mestre hotel across from train station -- Hotel Tritone. I chose it because it is easy to get there from the airport by hotel shuttle and it is right across the causeway from the pier. It is also affordable and had good reviews. There seem to be several hotels in that area.

the charge for bags is now 7 Euros per day, when I checked on their website...

I was in Venice an extra night last year and chose a hotel with a bridge...horrid but blissfully brief experience to schlepp the bags over...

avoided those offering to do so for a fee....

We did it!, crazy memories....but one round trip was enough!

So...we WERE going to stay at Santa Chiara....but for one third the price of that we are venturing to a B&B...in Venice...a little bit furthur into Venice...not much..easy walk to it

.and will have to share a bathroom...but it is just one night....and will drop the bags for at least one 24 hour period....keeping a small bag with us

we COULD skip the larger bag..totally

.but heck...we are going on a brandy new ship...so why deprive myself of changing up alot what I want to wear....

Still trying to pack smarter & lighter....but that's a story for another board!

Bernadette

We have stayed in Mestre both times we have been to Venice. You save your money for the important things (food, wine, shopping!) and are just a few minutes away by bus. The busses run late into the night, so you can still enjoy the magic of Venice at night.

Hi Lew,

I met you and your wife on the Emerald Princess in January...hope you are both well. We are disembarking from the Royal Princess in July, and had already decided to stay in Maestre for our additional two nights in Venice...we reserved Hotel Tritone which was very well reviewed on Tripadvisor. We have been to Venice several times, stayed in the historic area and this trip thought Maestre fit the bill of convenient and easy to sightsee from and then to get back to the airport.

My question is do you remember there being taxis at the ship? We will need to hire one when we disembark to get to Maestre.

Thanks!

My question is do you remember there being taxis at the ship? We will need to hire one when we disembark to get to Maestre.

Hi Carole...

Good to hear from you!

Although we've embarked a few cruises in Venice, we've disembarked just once...the Emerald in 2007. That time we did take a taxi and, yes, there's were plenty there. Sorry I can't give you a more up to date answer, perhaps somebody who has disembarked recently will jump in.

Since you're sailing on the Royal before us, we're expecting a full report upon your return.

Enjoy your cruise...

Lew

By the way, if you're staying in Mestre and looking for fantastic pizza, check out Pizzeria Columbus. We dined there last October on the advice of front desk personnel and will be sure to do so again this year.

Lew

Thanks for the suggestion..will give it a try! I hope Maestre works out for us...we just didn't want the logistics headache and expense of the historic area hotels...been there, done that! And we are traveling with another family, stepdaughter, DH and two little girls, so need to keep things easy!!:)

If it hasn't been done to death by our cruise in mid-July may do a "Live From" thread. Starting to get very excited about the Royal as she nears completion.

Carole

Thanks for the suggestion..will give it a try! I hope Maestre works out for us...we just didn't want the logistics headache and expense of the historic area hotels...been there, done that!

My pleasure...

I understand and agree with your thinking. If we had not stayed in Venice previously, I would not be staying in Mestre.

It's too bad that what makes Venice so charming also makes it a nightmare when transferring to or from a cruise ship. I know there are options...very expensive ones...available, but I can't bring myself to consider them.

Lew

I noticed a post about taxi's to the pier. Is it possible to get a taxi directly from the pier to the Venice train post-cruise?

Thanks much!

In answer to OP's question: We researched and decided on the Hotel Olimpia pre-cruise. We are arriving by air and it seemed like a lot less hassle (and lower price) than staying further inside. Supposedly you can see the hotel from where the airport bus drops you in Piazzle Rome. I believe there is one bridge to negotiate.

I noticed a post about taxi's to the pier. Is it possible to get a taxi directly from the pier to the Venice train post-cruise?

Thanks much!

In answer to OP's question: We researched and decided on the Hotel Olimpia pre-cruise. We are arriving by air and it seemed like a lot less hassle (and lower price) than staying further inside. Supposedly you can see the hotel from where the airport bus drops you in Piazzle Rome. I believe there is one bridge to negotiate.

A taxi can't take you to the Santa Lucia station in Venice ... the Grand Canal is in the way. Use the Mestre station instead.

Yes, you can see the hotel from Piazzale Roma if you know what you're looking for. This satellite map shows you the Olimpia as well as the blue ariport buses. (you'll also see the SLucia train station)

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/hotelmaps/marittima.htm

A taxi will take you to the train station in Mestre, but not Venezia Santa Lucia as it is not accessible by land for the general public. If you really want to take a taxi to a point as close as possible to Santa Lucia, you'd be dropped of on the Piazzale Roma side of the Ponte della Costituzione Bridge.

Lew

Calatrava1.jpg

We stayed 2 nights pre cruise at the Olimpia hotel. Booked it through the Best Western hotel site and confirmed it directly with the hotel a few weeks later.

It was an excellent value for the price and came with a superior breakfast. They have a garden with tables available at breakfast time.

Summing it up:

Location: excellent Short walk from airport bus and People Mover to Cruise terminal. Close to vaporetto stop.

Price: Reasonable

Room: very nice in every respect (view of garden)

Breakfast: Excellent (would cost about 30E PP at local restaurant)

Staff: extremely helpful

Totally recommend..:D

We are staying at the hotel papodopoli very short walk from PRoma which is a short easy blue bus drive from airport...lovely hotel with great amenities including breakfast and wifi...also easy transfer from hotel to port using people mover

My gf is traveling with DH & me for a week in Tuscany pre-cruise. Since we overnite aboard ship in Venice at the start of our cruise, we hope to find a nice, safe and reasonable hotel for her near Piazzale Roma. That location is convenient to the train station and the People Mover. Our plan is that she'll check-in there, while we check-in for our cruise, and then we'll pick her up for the afternoon/evening in Venice, make sure she's back at her hotel that night, and then the next morning we'll meet her again to head to Burano. She'll be on her own for the last night before she flies back to the US.

We stayed here last year and we loved it. Very close to the Train Station, Bus Station and close to the port. We were able to get a motor boat private transfer to the ship that was great. Had a fabulous meal at the hotel the night before we sailed. The rooms are rather small, and if we went again we would make sure that we booked a room with a canal view.

Thanks for the taxi info. I was wondering about that.

We also are at a Mestre hotel across from train station -- Hotel Tritone. I chose it because it is easy to get there from the airport by hotel shuttle and it is right across the causeway from the pier. It is also affordable and had good reviews. There seem to be several hotels in that area.

Hi we are staying here also. They just emailed us and said that there is the ATVO shuttle to get to hotel now, they changed their shuttle or something, but that looks pretty easy from website. Do you know how you are getting to the cruise? Hotel quoted us 40-50 euros for 2 with luggage to ship for private cab. That seemed high...

Archived