Veendam/Jumbo Screen at Retreat-Stern

sail7seas

Can anyone who has been on Veendam recently confirm they are not playing loud music/films at Retreat during the days? Is it possible to sit out at the stern, read a book or have a quiet chat and not be blasted with loud music?

Thanks.

It makes a big difference to us. :o

I had the impression they didn't intend to fix it.

Wow....I must be getting really dotty.....didn't realize the Veendam had a jumbo screen....I sure wouldn't want it fixed....

Do any of the other HAL ships have a jumbo screen....we are looking at the Volendam for an Alaska cruise....??

Sail, there was nothing ever playing on the screen when I was aboard in January, but there was something akin to "music" playing over the radio system.

I moved to Lower Promenade whenever the deck chairs were set up.

Do any of the other HAL ships have a jumbo screen....we are looking at the Volendam for an Alaska cruise....??

You're safe on the Volendam. It's only the Veendam and the Rotterdam that have The Retreat area out there.

You're safe on the Volendam. It's only the Veendam and the Rotterdam that have The Retreat area out there.

Thanks....

We are thinking of trying an oceanview.....and a peaceful deck area will be important......

Wasn't working in January. Like any ship, music can be broadcast on the speakers.

Have sailed the Rotterdam and Veendam with the Retreat changes. I have to say I prefer the Sea View Pool areas they replaced but The Retreat sure isn't a deal breaker with us.

It is a deal breaker for DH. He likes pool sitting but he wouldn't like blaring loud noise in the area..

Thanks, everyone.

My point was the large screen whether working or not does not mean there would be no piped in music which albeit can be to loud at times on any Hal ship. On the Rotterdam the screen was working and the volume was not overbearing.

I have witnessed on a couple of occasions, where the majority around the pool thought the music was too loud and requested the volume be turned down and it was.

Judy, the Veendam retreat area does not have a pool if your DH likes to swim. There are chairs and loungers around. When we were on in June, there was no music on, but you have answers from people who were on more recently, in January.

The Retreat on the Veendam became my retreat in January during the Antarctica scenic cruising days. It was usually out of the wind and I think the hot water warmed the air a bit. I am not able to stand for any length of time so I would sit on a bench near the hot tub. From there I had a wonderful view of both sides and the stern and took many photos. As others have mentioned, there were no movies or loud music, only the pizza kitchen.

Judy, the Veendam retreat area does not have a pool if your DH likes to swim. There are chairs and loungers around. When we were on in June, there was no music on, but you have answers from people who were on more recently, in January.

Thanks, Carol.

Yes, we know the mess they made of Veendam's aft by removing the pool. DH doesn't swim in ship's pools but he does like sitting out by them.

He knows to not expect an aft pool on Veendam. Sadly.....

Here's another picture. There are loungers. If there's no music, you'll be OK. But, as has been posted, they could play it on the loud speakers.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS9rH3De1TnmSHlzPJkxPDd0l_QfWfxTrXkPU26M0Z8goGJIf1d

This picture is of the original retreat concept of which still in place on the MS Rotterdam it is not how the MS Veendam looks today.

The Veendam has had another renovation with two hot tubs and a small "poolette" which is not large but you can still jump in and cool off.

Wow....I must be getting really dotty.....didn't realize the Veendam had a jumbo screen....I sure wouldn't want it fixed....

The Rotterdam has one but the Volendam does NOT have one!

This picture is of the original retreat concept of which still in place on the MS Rotterdam it is not how the MS Veendam looks today.

The Veendam has had another renovation with two hot tubs and a small "poolette" which is not large but you can still jump in and cool off.

Did HAL redo this deck again? I thought that in place of the poolette that replaced the seaview pool that HAL had put in four hot/cool/warm tubs but no poolette.

Here's another picture. There are loungers. If there's no music, you'll be OK. But, as has been posted, they could play it on the loud speakers.

That was Refit Part I but there's a re-do. Now it is a series of hot tubs and I understand they are too tall and block the view. :(

Did HAL redo this deck again? I thought that in place of the poolette that replaced the seaview pool that HAL had put in four hot/cool/warm tubs but no poolette.

Yes. It's now hot tubs without poolette. Crazy.

Carol...that is the original re-fit on the Veendam. It's been re-done again since that one...a 2nd re-fit. That is NOT the retreat we had in May...so not the Retreat you had in June.

This photo was taken in January 2013 of the Retreat. Perhaps it didn't show up on my recent post? The photo is taken from near the Lido, toward the stern, but at a slight angle toward the port side. I'll see if I can find some other views.

2071030649_RetreatareaontheVeendam.jpg.64e307aa0a68d1e7ec75e02b019acaaa.jpg

See that jumbo screen in the photo? That is what makes me nervous. I can put up with the mess of the hot tubs if it's a pretty day to sit and enjoy the weather but not if they get that thing running. Wrecks the best outdoor spot on the "S" ship, IMO

Archived