Cruise Days for On Board Purchases?

VallyD

LOL I was trying to do the cruise math in my head of how long it would take us to get 5 stars, I was terrible at math but it seems a LONG ways away lmbo

And thank you!

I'm trying for 4 star...and free laundry! We have 148 credit days (actually only 118 days sailed) so that means 30 points because of on board spending. I guess that adds up to $9,000 in onboard spending. :eek:

We have two more cruises booked for 21 days and 11 days. So I still have a way to go, too.

Kind of a technical question hopefully someone here can answer it...

We are doing an 11nt cruisetour on the Zaandam in May. 7 night cruise and 4 night cruisetour. I understand that we will get cruise credit days for the 4 night cruisetour portion BUT will we be able to to accrue 7 bonus spending days or 11 with our onboard spending bonus? We will be close to the 7 day bonus just with our shore ex and I will be able to make it up to 3 Star Status *if* we can get more than 7 bonus days (I need 17 to make it to three star)

...and no booking a suite for the extra days is not an option. :(

:D ValleyD....yes the goals are there and if you are like me, you will become addicted to reaching each one. Just think 2 stars is so close, just within a cruise or two depending on length and spending!! I will reach 4 stars midway through the cruise that I am leaving on next week, but sadly won't be able to benefit from them until my cruise in August. So, 5 stars....HERE I COME.......

Well, OBC is just prepaying money that you will spend on the ship. You don't get day credits for it when you buy the OBC and then double the day credits when you actually spend it. ;)

Where one does "double dip" is where you get day credits for the combined spending in the cabin (not for 3rd or 4th guests): I get day credits based on what I spent as well as what my partner spent.

I'm not the best at math, so please explain? :o looking at our latest final bill it sure looks to me like they counted the OBC for cruise day credits.

The cruise was 11 days, and we got 17 cruise day credits. We had $400 OBC, and a final bill of $150. So in other words we spent $550 onboard. We pre-paid $745 for excursions, so adding that to the $550, that's $1295, which would equal approximately 4 cruise day credits. I know that each cruise day credit has to be $300 in spending.....6 x 300 is $1800. We didn't have a suite, so no extra credits there. Where did we get the extra 2 cruise day credits if not from the OBC? :confused: We've had the same experience on all our cruises.

Hope you can make sense of this. Now my head is hurting :eek:

As noted above, HAL is very generous in rounding up. In my experience, if you move pass one $300 threshhold, no matter how little, they will tend to round up.

Once, I was so fortuante to get spending credits for over $2,000 in shore excursions that I booked online and then cancelled prior to the cruise :) Anyone else have that happen? I then tried to "game" the system the next time by doing the same in order to reach Four Stars. It did not work. So, I had to wait until the next cruise to legitimately hit the Four Stars.

As noted above, HAL is very generous in rounding up. In my experience, if you move pass one $300 threshhold, no matter how little, they will tend to round up.

Once, I was so fortuante to get spending credits for over $2,000 in shore excursions that I booked online and then cancelled prior to the cruise :) Anyone else have that happen? I then tried to "game" the system the next time by doing the same in order to reach Four Stars. It did not work. So, I had to wait until the next cruise to legitimately hit the Four Stars.

Nice:rolleyes:!

HAL just had to give me a goal to reach didn't they? That's wonderful you have had so many cruises :) Where is your favorite place to visit?

Oh my..... favorite places to cruise?

All over the Mediterranean. We loved our stops in Athens and the Greek Islands, we love every inch of Italy, Holland, Copenhagen, Spain, Portugal, Dover, Gibraltar, Panama Canal, we love almost all the Caribbean with few exceptions. I never expected to but loved Alaska so far beyond my expectation. Atlantic Canada and New England are among our favorites. We sailed to Bermuda....... There are very few ports we've visited we didn't particularly care for and would avoid though there definitely are some. ;)

Being naughty and answering you response to Sail:p

Of course they did and you are young enough to reach that goal. :cool: We are 4 star and have a different goal which is to cruise on each of the DAM ships.

Our favorite places to visit, Hawaii, South Pacific, especially Bora Bora, The Baltic, (loved St. Petersburg, Russia) Canada...you get the idea, more favorites than we can coun

Jane & Gary

We only have one more ship to sail in order to have sailed the whole fleet. :)

Oh my..... favorite places to cruise?

All over the Mediterranean. We loved our stops in Athens and the Greek Islands, we love every inch of Italy, Holland, Copenhagen, Spain, Portugal, Dover, Gibraltar, Panama Canal, we love almost all the Caribbean with few exceptions. I never expected to but loved Alaska so far beyond my expectation. Atlantic Canada and New England are among our favorites. We sailed to Bermuda....... There are very few ports we've visited we didn't particularly care for and would avoid though there definitely are some. ;)

We only have one more ship to sail in order to have sailed the whole fleet. :)

I don't know how you could have resisted the Elegant Explorer for so long (other than the flights and intricate itnieraries. ) But She's worth it:D I wouldn't do her for a Caribbean - but definitely for every other itinerary

Our first experience with the bonus was on a cruise where we paid $99/person to upgrade to a suite. It was a port intensive cruise and we went on lots of excursions.

WOW! I was shocked when I looked at my account a few weeks after arriving home to see that we only needed 6 more days to get to 3 Stars! Those double days were soooo worth that $198!

I think it's a great way to encourage loyalty--I know it has me and my DH hooked. We usually cruise itinerary first, price second. If HAL is pretty close to another, less expensive cruise, we'll go with HAL--and honestly, we've never been disappointed.

95 days to 4 Stars and free laundry! At our current rate, probably 4 years away--yeha!

Where did we get the extra 2 cruise day credits if not from the OBC?

The OBC you bought was a "deposit" against your your future bill. You got credit for them when you spent them on board. If you had not used them, but got them back in cash at the end, you would not have gotten bonus days for them.

Our first experience with the bonus was on a cruise where we paid $99/person to upgrade to a suite. ... Those double days were soooo worth that $198!
That wouldn't happen today. Now you don't get the double days for an upgrade or upsell if the original booking does not qualify for them.

From the HAL FAQ:

Suite Bonus Earn double Cruise Day credits when you pay a published fare for a spacious suite or penthouse on your next cruise. For example, a guest who pays published fare for suite accommodations for a 10-day cruise earns 20 Cruise Day credits.

Your hotel service charge (tips) also count and so do internet packages.

They are usually generous in rounding up. For example, $450 spending might get 2 days rather than exactly $600 for 2 days.

Not always. We've done one cruise and one cruise tour, and our bonus points were never rounded up. We just got the points for each actual $300.

Any charges over the 300 multiple was not awarded points.

The OBC you bought was a "deposit" against your your future bill. You got credit for them when you spent them on board. If you had not used them, but got them back in cash at the end, you would not have gotten bonus days for them.

Thanks John, I agree with this. If you don't use it, you don't get credit. We did, and we did. :)

They even give 'day credit' for onboard medical bills! I got 4 days credit for my $1200 medical bill. :eek:

Now that is interesting. We used the Medical department several cruises ago and never thought about getting credit for that expenditure, sweet!

I'm not sure if the spending day count doubles too.

Nope.

If you check your Mariner Status you will see the credits under these headings:

• Cruise Day credits
  • Onboard Spend Cruise Day credits
  • Suite Bonus Cruise Day credits
  • Total Cruise Day credits

Dear VallyD, here's another temptation: You get double days when you cruise in a suite. If the room name says "suite" it's double.

I'm not sure if the spending day count doubles too.

Cheers!

ValleyD sailed in a "SC" suite and will get the double days credited for booking a suite.

They do not double the days granted for spending. One day for each $300.......

This thread got me thinking that we never checked our Mariner's status since we've been back..We had two Medical bills this trip..Used to be able to get Mariner's status by clicking on: https://mariners.hollandamerica.com

Can't seem to get that to work..Does anyone know if it's changed?

Having problems for many months with my 9yr old PC (XP oper.system) & it no longer pays to fix it.. Every time I type something a page either skips away & gets lost or jumps back to home page etc.. Finally broke down & ordered a new one which might be installed this weekend, but now have to learn a new operating system (Win.7):eek::eek:..Trying to purge doc's no longer needed, is such tedious work.. Can't believe how many docs (over 9,200 in more than 500 folders) saved...Just in the general travel sect. have 1056 docs in 90 folders & in Cruse tips alone have 608 docs in 53 folders.. Many of them are old C.C. posts..Mostly all are outdated & no longer needed..:o:o Wonder, how you all keep your docs organized..

I'm worn out & going to bed..

Thanks..:)Betty

Kind of a technical question hopefully someone here can answer it...

We are doing an 11nt cruisetour on the Zaandam in May. 7 night cruise and 4 night cruisetour. I understand that we will get cruise credit days for the 4 night cruisetour portion BUT will we be able to to accrue 7 bonus spending days or 11 with our onboard spending bonus? We will be close to the 7 day bonus just with our shore ex and I will be able to make it up to 3 Star Status *if* we can get more than 7 bonus days (I need 17 to make it to three star)

...and no booking a suite for the extra days is not an option. :(

I was wondering about the cruisetour thing too. Can someone help us out?

Just wanted to add here that you don't always get double days for suites. On my recent cruise they offered me an upsell and it specifically said that double suite days would not be applied. And they weren't.

Just wanted to add here that you don't always get double days for suites. On my recent cruise they offered me an upsell and it specifically said that double suite days would not be applied. And they weren't.

You ALWAYS get double the Cruise Day Credits for booking a suite at full price.

The credits, however, are linked to your ORIGINAL booking. If you book a inside/balcony and then upsell to a suite after final payment, you will only get the credits associated with a inside/balcony as you did not pay full suite fare.

Archived