New app!!!

• Administrators
Given I just paid $4.99 about 13 hours ago for the Tapatalk HD app for my iPad, I'll definitely be sticking with it. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

As others have stated, your purchased version doesn't have ads, PLUS you are able to use it w/ many other forums who have enabled Tapatalk.

It's a good thing for us to have a branded app, but also good to have choices. I participate in a number of other forum-based communities so I have the paid version myself (if you are nosy I participate in lab_retriever.net and TheDis). They all have Tapatalk enabled. Oh, and city-data.net does. Fab community about, well, real world communities.

You can pull up only participated threads with the cruise critic app too. And really the advertising bar is not at all obtrusive. I barely notice it.

Right. So why would I want the one with ads over the one with no ads? Barely noticing isn't as good as having nothing to notice at all.

• Administrators
Cruise Critic, welcome to the 21st Century!

We're happy to be here, thanks! Also just installed a VCR at home, and got myself one of those machines that print things on paper! :);)

So I go on my phone to check in on cruise critic using the tap talk app and it prompts me to down load the new cruise critic app!!! They finally got around to making their own app. (It looks just like tap talk lol) thought I would share with anyone else out there you might be using their phones to keep up with cruise critic!

Got it! Thanks for the heads up!

This is actually VERY true. I was skeptical, but absolutely love this add-on to Tapatalk.

And the unlimited nice size picture hosting makes it fun to post picture upon request while still in port before sail away. Or even during a cruise with those 45 free D+ coupon minutes. I find the upload goes quickly even from the ship's wifi.

So I go on my phone to check in on cruise critic using the tap talk app and it prompts me to down load the new cruise critic app!!! They finally got around to making their own app. (It looks just like tap talk lol) thought I would share with anyone else out there you might be using their phones to keep up with cruise critic!

I haven't read all your replies yet, but it appears to me to be the same app as tapatalk, just customized. It may have caused me one problem with my tap atalk app though. (Unconfirmed) I like tap a talk for posting pictures directly into messages. After using it for awhile I tried to post another picture using TAT to host the picture and it told me I had used up my 30 free posts for pictures. Unlimited photo posting was only $1.99 so I bought it. First picture worked fine. Then I downloaded the new CC app and now TAT gives me an error. I have yet to contact them to see if this is the problem or not.

Just DL it. the differents I see is that you don't need tiny finger tips in this app. more friendly so for. But you do have ad's on the bottom. Thanks for the post couple_cruisers

If you only use Tap a talk to acess cruise critic, then with the new app you don't have to find this particular forum.

It's on iTunes. Simply search "cruise critic" Spell it correctly. The screen shots all appear to be the same so I see no reason to switch and get the ads. I also paid Tapatalk 99cents for the unlimited photo hosting package which works way better than the CC hosted thumbnails that are't large enough to see well.

Agreed, and perhaps coincidence after I downloaded the CC app, my TAT pics quit working. (STill working on that)

I'm still not sure why anyone needs an app for mobile use. I use these forums just fine from my tablet and my phone.

Seems kinda like the old days when people used AOL to get on the internet instead of just getting on the internet. I never understood that either.

I'm still not sure why anyone needs an app for mobile use. I use these forums just fine from my tablet and my phone.

Seems kinda like the old days when people used AOL to get on the internet instead of just getting on the internet. I never understood that either.

AOL software is still around and running on my mother's laptop as we speak.:rolleyes: How else is she supposed to get her email? :eek: I still haven't convinced her that she doesn't need to log into AOL in order to print the pictures she has downloaded to her laptop.

Baby steps, baby steps.:)

If you're using an iPhone and running Safari to access the regular Cruise Critic webpage, it does get a bit tedious having to zoom in so you can click on the right link/thread/etc. Not to mention than having to scroll back and forth to read the entire message. On an iPad I could see that it's much like a regular computer and easier to navigate. But very difficult on an iPhone!

I like the new app and don't mind the ads at all. Pretty much any free app has ads so I'm kind of used to it.

In the real old days AOL and Prodigy didn't HAVE true web access as we now know it. They were basically message boards with a few other things available such as email and Eaasy Sabre for purchasing airline tickets. I remember they gave you one chance to make a mistake if you bought the wrong ticket. You could then call and they would correct your error. All messages on the message boards were actually read by an individual for approval before posting so there was a delay. Prodigy software was bought at Sears. I don't know who sold AOL. But when prodigy started having true www access the email addresses were switched from .com addresses to .net.

Apps make navigation to a website's info happen with one click. Not all websites even have a mobile enabled website and RCI is one of them. This makes web navigation neat impossible on some websites. Also some apps are much better than the companies mobile site.

Also people do things with some apps that aren't even available at a website.

And this forum doesn't work fine from my phone's browser. Not even close to Tapatalk quality.

So.... That's why people use apps.

Amy more questions? ;)

Oh yeah. And in the pre AOL/Prodigy days I think some had compuserve. It was a while before basic Internet providers appeared. By then it was just as easy to keep paying your original message board provider. Then came competition but some still wanted to keep the email address they were used to.

That's how I see the evolution towards the very helpful app.

I was thinking Tapatalk was free when it came out but maybe it was just really cheap. I do like having no ads and greatly prefer Tapatalk to the big side bar CC ads which are still very annoying on my PC.

Gina,

Remember last September we had the discussion of how many pictures Tapatalk would host. Well back on my Jewel cruise in March it finally caught up with me and I had to buy the unlimited picture package from them. I think it was $3.95. They were suppose to host free about 20 pictures but I got more like 200. :D

Seemed like all the pictures were bigger once I paid too.

Bill

The AOL software was free from the get-go, whether it was AppleLink, PCLink or whatever which were co-mingled into AOL. It wasn't sold but was first distributed through user groups and then through massive marketing mailings. You signed up and it cost $7.50/hour non-primetime, and, I think, $12/hour primetime. From the beginning, it included message boards, chat rooms and IMs. :) Amazing what they could program on a 128k floppy.

Sorry but there is no way that a phone internet browser is as functional as a Tapatalk app when reading a forum. You spend as much time resizing as reading. I didn't even mention how many times I accidentally tapped the wrong link and have to go back. If I hadn't bought it, I would use the freebie but I already bought it.

Apps make navigation to a website's info happen with one click. Not all websites even have a mobile enabled website and RCI is one of them. This makes web navigation neat impossible on some websites. Also some apps are much better than the companies mobile site.

Also people do things with some apps that aren't even available at a website.

And this forum doesn't work fine from my phone's browser. Not even close to Tapatalk quality.

So.... That's why people use apps.

Amy more questions? ;)

That would be why SOME people use apps to visit the forums. I do everything you mention without it and do it easily without hiccups or even the slightest problem.

I understand that some websites don't have a mobile version and that an app could probably make navigation easier, but not a generic forum site like this. It may feel better to someone or give them a happier interface, but...

Not sure what type of phone you have that limits you in such a way, but I can assume you that there is nothing on this forum you do sitting at a pc or laptop that I can't/don't do on my tablet or phone.

Oh yeah. And in the pre AOL/Prodigy days I think some had compuserve. It was a while before basic Internet providers appeared. By then it was just as easy to keep paying your original message board provider. Then came competition but some still wanted to keep the email address they were used to.

That's how I see the evolution towards the very helpful app.

No. Basic internet providers existed long before AOL, Compuserve, Prodigy, etc. You probably just didn't know about them. A lot of people got their first exposure through one of those companies and didn't understand you could just get online by yourself without them.

Having never used any of those services, I can't speak for their in-house messageboards or their chat rooms (although, I've heard some really creepy stories about them), but I can say that in well over 20 years of being online that I've never seen anything bring people to the web like those companies.

I fired up one of those companies at my grandparents house a few times, but just minimized it and surfed my own way. It was like 100lbs of crap in a 2lb bag to look at those proprietary browsers. LET'S SEE HOW MUCH STUFF WE CAN CRAM HERE FOR YOU TO BE REQUIRED TO LOOK AT!

Why be silly and yell?

I reloaded my Starbucks card with a couple of clicks this morning from my iPhone in the hotel over 4G.

I id'd a moody blues song in a restaurant at breakfast with Soundhorn in one click and bought it with another click that took me directly to the iTunes app. I did have to type my password.

I found the constellations last night on the beach in Waikiki with the "Planets" app in 3D just by opening and aiming.

I just found Rhapsody of the Seas with Shipfinder and took a screen shot and loaded it here which couldn't be done this simply or clearly with the full site.

6adahyhy.jpg

I love this picture of Radiance in Sydney that I took with my phone in February. I can share it with a couple of clicks - no scrolling around - and a much nicer size.

ry4y3egy.jpg

And no, homeowners weren't interested in the www and it's lack of usable regular person content prior to the 90s. Public schools were just getting black and white apple computers and playing a digitized Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? - off line.

I wouldn't hiccup if I had to carry all my store membership cards on my keychain for use. I just prefer to keep them all on the Keychain app for convenience. I can't do that through a browser either.

From me and an Aussie mate - :D

Courtesy of CC via Tapatalk

u2agy8y6.jpg

Archived