Returning to a thread you've posted to - A Tip

HamOp

I read a lot of the threads posted to the HAL board, but don't post to most of them.

However, I do like to go back to see what new comments have been posted to the threads that I participate in.

Here is the problem. I don't always remember which threads I have left comments to because when a thread is read, it changes color to red.

Here is my solution. On the threads that I have posted to, I go to the far right on the screen and click on the number in the reply column. A small box appears on the upper right side of the screen showing who has posted and how many times. That's not the tip. The tip is, the number of replies also truns red.

Now when I want return to a thread I've posted to I just look at the "Reply"

column for the red numbers.

It works for me!

Happy cruising.

Alternatively, you can look at the far left column of envelopes on the forum display ... there is an arrow graphic on the envelope for any threads you've posted to.

Very true, but that doesn't stand out like the red number on the right side.

Alternatively, you can look at the far left column of envelopes on the forum display ... there is an arrow graphic on the envelope for any threads you've posted to.

This is the graphic: thread_dot_hot.gif

Another way I get to a list of my posts is to click on may name in the top right os the screen were it says "Welcome Boytjie"; from there I click on "Statistics" then "Find all posts by Boytjie".

That red link will turn blue again whenever your browse history is cleaned - depending on the settings of your web browser.

It may depend on your settings, but you can set it up so that when you post to a thread there's a check mark in the field with the thread title.

If you don't subscribe to threads where you haven't posted, there's the visual cue right there. Those are the first threads I look at when I first log in for the day.

If you do subscribe to threads you don't post to, you get the same check mark in the same place. But it will still work as a visual cue, then you can hover your cursor over the envelope at the far left. It will pop up a notice telling how many posts you have in the thread, and when the last one was.

...........when you are color blind, the User CP works the best:) We who are color blind cannot see red so.................

BUT your tip is a good one for others who are not color blind and do not wish to go through a few steps to check a thread they've posted to:)

Joanie

I have a checkmark just to the left of the date column of all the threads where I have posted. VERY easy to glance down and see your threads..... and automatic.

RuthC just explained that you have to subscribe. I thought it was a default for everyone.

Try it, It is far easier to see than the little envelope icons with the arrows.

I like the email notifications. If it is a thread I don't want to follow or decide after awhile that I don't want to follow it any longer I just cancel the subscription by clicking on Forum Tools. It took me a few years to learn this trick and it has made forum life so much easier for me. :)

I don't want to subscribe to every thread where I've posted, and I sometimes subscribe where I haven't posted. :p

I don't subscribe to any postings. The check mark is just there. And very easy to see.

I don't subscribe to any postings. The check mark is just there. And very easy to see.
The check mark means that you are subscribed to the thread. (Put your cursor on the check and see what it says.) You must have your options set to automatically subscribe to every thread that you post on.

The check mark means that you are subscribed to the thread. (Put your cursor on the check and see what it says.) You must have your options set to automatically subscribe to every thread that you post on.

Huh! Well, so it is. Guess I must be hooked up to an old email address, cause I get no messages. To me all I know is that I see a check mark where I have done a reply.

Maybe that is the trick.... Use a freebie email address just for cruise critic ;)

Huh! Well, so it is. Guess I must be hooked up to an old email address, cause I get no messages. To me all I know is that I see a check mark where I have done a reply.

Maybe that is the trick.... Use a freebie email address just for cruise critic ;)

When you manually subscribe to a thread you can choose to get notifications or not. The automatic subscription must be the "no" kind. No need for any old or freebie email address. Besides, I don't think there's any way for you to have two different CC contact addresses.

Nope. ANY thread where I have replied has that white arrow in the left column.

I rarely subscribe to threads, even those I've posted in. I definitely do not have my options set to automatic subscription.

Nope. ANY thread where I have replied has that white arrow in the left column.
We're talking about the check mark ( subscribed.gif )that appears in the title box, just to the left of the post date/time box, when you are subscribed to a thread.

I rarely subscribe to threads, even those I've posted in. I definitely do not have my options set to automatic subscription.

You mean that when you post to a thread there's no check mark in the field with the thread title? I'm not talking about the reply arrow on the envelope here; I mean the check mark to the right of the thread title.

In every thread where I post that check mark appears. It's a subscription to the thread---albeit without notification, but a subscription none the less.

Not that I want to give up the check mark---it's how I know easily that I've posted to the thread---but I didn't know there was a way to keep it from appearing.

In every thread where I post that check mark appears. It's a subscription to the thread---albeit without notification, but a subscription none the less.

Not that I want to give up the check mark---it's how I know easily that I've posted to the thread---but I didn't know there was a way to keep it from appearing.

Yes, it's an option to auto-subscribe or not. I choose 'not', so I only get the check mark when I manually subscribe to a thread.

Under Settings and Options:

Default Thread Subscription Mode

When you post a new thread, or reply to a topic, you can choose to automatically add that thread to your list of subscribed threads, with the option to receive email notification of new replies to that thread.

Default Thread Subscription Mode:

Yes, it's an option to auto-subscribe or not. I choose 'not', so I only get the check mark when I manually subscribe to a thread.

Under Settings and Options:

Default Thread Subscription Mode

When you post a new thread, or reply to a topic, you can choose to automatically add that thread to your list of subscribed threads, with the option to receive email notification of new replies to that thread.

Default Thread Subscription Mode:

I don't see any of that - is it under User CP? :confused:

You mean that when you post to a thread there's no check mark in the field with the thread title? I'm not talking about the reply arrow on the envelope here; I mean the check mark to the right of the thread title.

Nope, no check mark for me to the right of the thread title. I'll have to check the Roll Call thread for my cruises and see if there's a check mark to the right of the thread there since I AM subscribed to those two threads.

Nope, no check mark for me to the right of the thread title.
Do you see a paper clip in the upper right corner of the title box of some threads? That's where the check mark will appear when you are subscribed to a thread,

Archived