Upgrade Offers

cindilouwho

I started to get E Mail offers around six months prior to the trip offering up sells on the trip or to change to another trip or get a 100% refund after final payment. I had a ocean view room on the Rivera, they never offered my the room I wanted so I finally called an we worked out a price for the type of room I wanted. I would guess this is a very fluid process based on how the ship is filling up. Good luck!!! I booked direct with the line so I did the dealing, I think if you use a TA they deal with the line.

Let your TA know you are interested in an upgrade/upsell. Whether you receive one depends on demand, luck of the draw and if there are any for your cruise and cabin category of course.

Some on CC advise jumping on the offers as they are sent to more than just you and first to accept gets it. If it is hot deal and a strongly in demand cruise you can give your TA a $$ amount and tell them to accept on your behalf in order to not miss out due to communication delay with you.

Others though advising to wait and see if O improves the offer which will happen if there are no takers.

Sometimes people get these offers even though they have not specifically requested they want to receive them. And so some are not interested in such offers because they want to keep their cabin location or for move to another cruise type offers, have the time off already booked, flights arranged, want the original itinerary, etc.

The games afoot! Good luck!

Several times we have been offered an upgrade on Oceania from a B category verandah cabin to a Concierge level. We have never accepted it because the cabins are exactly the same size and layout and we are fussy about our location and have already chosen where we want to be. Now if they offered a Penthouse at a "reasonable" rate, I probably would jump on it. However, you may have to be Concierge level to get that. On large Princess or Celebrity ships, there are many more choices of cabins to be upgraded to, so maybe that would be different. We choose a cruise cabin that we want and never give a thought to an upgrade. yohoho is right, you should give your TA (if you have one) the right to make an immediate decision, the offers don't last long.

Hi Cindi,

Welcome to the O board :D !

Like others (and YoHoHo) said it mostly depends on how full your cruise is. If it is a popular and sold out cruise, you may get all kinds of offers (upsell, downsell, change the cruise, etc).

Keep checking on how full your cruise is and let your TA know you are interested. We've had some very interesting offers in the past (mostly to downgrade at SUBSTANTIAL savings)

Good Luck!

Paul

At what point prior to sailing does O start offering Upgrades for $$$? Can you ask for one?

Sorry - O newbie here!

It all depends on how the cabin inventory for a particular sailing is selling, so there is no guarantee that any type of offer will be made.

Passengers may not ask for an Upsell, but they may certainly notify Oceania that they would be receptive to one being offered.

The most important factor here, is that Upsell offers are necessarily time sensitive. If you don't accept the offer, it will be offered to the next passenger down the hall.

Therefore, if you booked through an Agent, you will want to give them parameters of what kind of a deal they may accept on your behalf (Something like, "We are willing to pay up to $400 more per person for a Category A").

If you booked directly with the cruise line, be certain that Oceania has a number where you may be reached easily during the business day.

Happy hunting !

I was offered an upsell from my B-3 cabin to a concierge on my last two Riviera cruises. I like the extended balcony, so turned it down, but mentioned to my TA after the first cruise that I would be willing to spend more for a PH upsell. The upsell fairy must have heard, because after I turned down the concierge cabin, I was offered a PH 1 and jumped on the offer. As everybody else has posted, it is best to let your TA know in advance how much you would spend and let them grab it for you if it becomes available.

The particular sailing I'm on has at least sixty cabins vacant. My Travel Agent says many are suites and veranda cabins. Now it's 3 weeks until sail date. I've already received 2 offers to upgrade. One offer was about 2 months out. Another was about 30 days out from sail date. The prices were steep. If I recall correctly, think the wife said about $1k total for ocean view to veranda. Maybe if the price comes down I'll consider it. Guess they're going to sail with a bunch of empty, high-end cabins. Doesn't make sense to me to do that. It would be a better marketing move to upgrade passengers for a nominal fee. They'd have lots of happy passengers who would promote the line, develop brand loyalty. Nothing like word of mouth advertising.

The particular sailing I'm on has at least sixty cabins vacant. My Travel Agent says many are suites and veranda cabins. Now it's 3 weeks until sail date. I've already received 2 offers to upgrade. One offer was about 2 months out. Another was about 30 days out from sail date. The prices were steep. If I recall correctly, think the wife said about $1k total for ocean view to veranda. Maybe if the price comes down I'll consider it. Guess they're going to sail with a bunch of empty, high-end cabins. Doesn't make sense to me to do that, it would be a better marketing move to upgrade passengers for a nominal fee. It would make for lots of happy passengers who would promote the line, develop brand loyalty. Nothing like word of mouth advertising.

Not too worry someone will take the upsell offer ;)

...sounds like it may have been a PH or a Concierge cabin for that amount

Not too worry someone will take the upsell offer ;)

...sounds like it may have been a PH or a Concierge cabin for that amount

LHT28: despite the upsell offers, there is still a high vacancy rate in the high-end cabins. Other folks who have posted on this sailing have been offered to upgrade. They haven't done so. The cabins are still empty. If people haven't taken the offer in the past, then why would they now? Especially if the price remains the same? Just can't see sixty new bookings in the next couple of weeks. These cabins continue to remain empty. Tells me that the price they are asking for the upsell is too pricey, if nobody's taking the bait.

Question..

If a pax has been offered an upsell, and declined, why would they accept the same offer later? Would'nt the fact that they declined in the first place mean that they have a "ceiling" or limit? Offering the same upsell I would think they would get the same answer???

Maybe I am just coming from my point of view, and I have a limit, and would stick to that limit?

What do they do if those upper end staterooms are "unsold"? Does "O" really sail less than full?

My cruise too, has unsold cabins, and is only a few weeks away (maybe we are on the same sailing).

LHT28: despite the upsell offers, there is still a high vacancy rate in the high-end cabins. Other folks who have posted on this sailing have been offered to upgrade. They haven't done so. The cabins are still empty. If people haven't taken the offer in the past, then why would they now? Especially if the price remains the same? Just can't see sixty new bookings in the next couple of weeks. These cabins continue to remain empty. Tells me that the price they are asking for the upsell is too pricey, if nobody's taking the bait.

The offers do get better as the cruise draws nearer, but the problem is, you cannot be sure that they will be offered to YOU.

People assume that the cheapest cabins are always the most sought after, but that is not necessarily the case.

On Some itineraries (Alaska and the South Pacific come to mind) Verandas are seen as a must, so the inside and Oceanview Cabins are not as hot a ticket.

Don't hold out for a great deal, UNLESS you could just as happily stay where you are.

I see you took a MOVE OVER offer so maybe others will also

You could always make them an offer for you to move up for the price you want...I have heard of this happening also;)

If they do not fill the ship then you have more chances of getting other sittings in the specialty restaurants :D

Enjoy the cruise & let the execs worry about the bottom line

Lyn

On one of our Regatta cruises, the first upsell from our A1 to PH was $1000 per person. This was followed by an offer at $750 per. The final offer was $500. We countered with $300 per which Oceania did not accept. We were happy with our A1.

Cheers,

Don

I see you took a MOVE OVER offer so maybe others will also

You could always make them an offer for you to move up for the price you want...I have heard of this happening also;)

If they do not fill the ship then you have more chances of getting other sittings in the specialty restaurants :D

Enjoy the cruise & let the execs worry about the bottom line

Lyn

I think this is excellent advice. THe house/dog sitter is ready, flight ressies in order, specialty restaurants booked, and clothing all organized.

DH is getting excited. He is worrying less and less about being away from work for 13 days. That is HUGE!

Only questions I have left are:

1. Yoga mats in the gym? Yes?

2. Nutella available?

3. Waffles at breakfast?

Thanks!

Oceania WILL sell out those upper categories in the next few weeks FDR has a magic touch to fill these sailings..

Jancruz1

If you are in a PH1 cabin do you still get offered upgrades, or do the upgrades stop at concierge level?

Some years ago we were in a PH on Regatta (this was before they recategorized cabins to PH1, 2, etc.) and we were given an upsell to an OS.

But we did ASK our TA for one if something came up. We were also booked in a PH1 for an Alaska cruise in August 2011 when we received an offer to move off the cruise and be upgraded to a Vista.

So it can happen. But as has been said frequently in this context, let your TA or Oceania know that you are interested.

Mura

I can say yes to Nutella.

As to upsells, we look at the price difference and if the price is between 1/3 and 1/2 of the original (not full) price and we want the cabin we go for it.

We book the cabin we want originally so feel free to say no.

If you are in a PH1 cabin do you still get offered upgrades, or do the upgrades stop at concierge level?

We were in a Penthouse Suite(PH3) and received up sells to an Oceania Suite, Vista Suite and Owner's Suite. We finally took an Oceania Suite as did our friends two weeks ago. The Vista Suite was just a little more but the Owner's Suite was a lot more. The price did come down from a month ago with the up sells. Very pleased with the up sell.

We were also offered a Vista Suite at no charge if we changed to the cruise after ours but could not change our cruise as we are traveling with another couple who could not change the dates. Our friends were offered the same move over and up sells. So the bottom line is it all depends on your sailing.....Let your travel agent know ahead of time how much you are willing to pay for an up sell if one is offered to you.

We sailed on the Riviera March 28 cruise after an upsell to Concierge. It wasn't that good a deal, because the conceirge wasn't too accomodating, and the perks weren't that great. I would have much prefered the extended balcony at a lower price.

Archived