Carnival Steals your money!!! Please read

Hersheepeg

I think the header for this thread is just offensive and designed simply provoke. You could have stated that they donate leftover SS funds and asked why.

No one stole anything. Giving little amounts left behind to St Jude's is admirable. I wish St Jude's had been available when my baby sister died of cancer at 9 years old.

OMG !!! How dare them. I think in a company like carnival it probably cost $25.00 to write a check. I hope you had a GREAT cruise.

Then Carnival could give the person a $5.00 bill and save $24.75 in the process.

So Carnival takes the refunds from people donates it to charity and gets a write off in its income taxes....very interesting.

Whatever Carnival does with a small refund will cost them more than the refund. People have the option to say no. Always easiest to blame someone else and deny personal responsibility.

So Carnival takes the refunds from people donates it to charity and gets a write off in its income taxes....very interesting.

Carnival assumes you read the documentation and if you left under 5.00 you wanted it donated.

The last time I had jury duty the county owed me 46¢. If we didn't want a check we had to fill out a form. No way was I gong to fill out a form for 46¢. So the county sent me a check for 46¢.

Seems Carnival has taken a different approach to the problem of issuing small checks.

The last time I had jury duty the county owed me 46¢. If we didn't want a check we had to fill out a form. No way was I gong to fill out a form for 46¢. So the county sent me a check for 46¢.

Seems Carnival has taken a different approach to the problem of issuing small checks.

yes they did... with your implied consent (you read the documentation right?) they gave it to a GREAT charity helping people. How dare them!! :rolleyes:

yup

it is a bad assumption that people READ the documentation

YA THINK? SOME PEOPLE COME BACK POSTING THEY DIDn'T KNOW THE MDR was included, of they had to tip, or they .........

The list is endless. And has created many a thread on La Cruise Critic. This one's a new one I haven't seen before, and primarily cause it's a change. One that was not announced.

Ok, I'll admit, I never heard of this protocol of mailing checks at cruise end, must be something "new". We've had balances, albeit larger than $4.75 at the conclusion of a couple of our cruises, and we were handed a check before we got off the ship. Would seem to make less sense and be more "costly" to mail a check for such a small about, but your know, cut backs and all...being cheap...etc.

On Breeze in March I stopped by Guest Services the last afternoon of our cruise to inquire about something. I mentioned that I knew I still had a balance of over $200 from cash I had put on my account when I boarded, and that I figured the check would be waiting the next morning in my cabin mailbox, as usual in the past. The woman at the desk said that they would now be mailing all refund checks to the passengers - it would take about 2 weeks. She saw the look on my face, and said she could give me cash if I had picture i.d. I literally ran back to my cabin to get my driver's license, and she gave me the cash, with the "warning" that if I charged something that last evening, it would go right to my credit card. I do think they should let people know somewhere that all cash refunds would be mailed. I do understand that some people would be bent out of shape from not receiving their money if under $5 - but heck - it IS going to charity. If you get audited, and don't have a receipt, send the IRS after CCL!!:p:D

Just off the Magic, and yes, this is a new policy. The money goes to St. Jude. However, if you read the information they put in your stateroom, you will know this. You also can request they give you the money instead. People, people, people read the information they give you! This sounds just like the guy in line behind me $&:?ing that no one told him he needed photo ID to get off and back on the ship. Are you freaking kidding me? It is on the TV, it is in every FunTimes. Come on people, we can't fix stupid here!

Very good.

Also, I'm certain that a corporation cannot take a deduction for voluntarily (or stupidly) left behind assets. That wouldn't stand up to an audit. The asset was donated by the passenger, not Carnival.

The big deal is that it's shady. St Jude's is a fantastic cause, no beef there. But why should Carnival Corp. reap the credit of donating other people's money? I'm sure they write-off whatever amount they amass and donate on their corporate tax return. That's not kosher in my book...

Tony

Why doesn't Carnival give the people that donate the tax receipt. Please cheerleaders answer that?

Archived