Did RCL take my Advil?

kee

Just got off the Jewel..in my luggage got the paper saying they looked in my bag. Turns out I was missing a new bottle of Advil. Which we needed later in the cruise. Positive I packed it!! Think they took it? Not a huge deal..just wondering!

Heads up..my husband got an annoying cough during the cruise..bought cough syrup at the store on the ship..17.99..yikes.

Just got off the Jewel..in my luggage got the paper saying they looked in my bag. Turns out I was missing a new bottle of Advil. Which we needed later in the cruise. Positive I packed it!! Think they took it? Not a huge deal..just wondering!

Heads up..my husband got an annoying cough during the cruise..bought cough syrup at the store on the ship..17.99..yikes.

Highly doubt they'd take an over the counter aspirin from you. We've taken Tylenol PM, Bayer Back & Body, Pepto and other over the counter drugs and never encountered a problem. It's possible you forgot to pack it, I've done that every trip I've ever taken. Luckily it's something not critical so I've been okay.

I've heard here on CC of prescription medications being checked though, to make sure the name on the bottle matches the person who has them. There was a warning about not putting your pills "loose" in plastic baggies -- instead leave them in the prescription bottle for verification.

Yep, those prices on board are bad. I forgot sunscreen on our last cruise and had to pay $12.99 for a small bottle of sunscreen at the on board shop on Liberty of the Seas that probably costs no more than $5.99 on land :(

I travel with a clear plastic bag full of OTC Med's & have never had a problem...can't imagine why they would take the Advil...

Been there done that on ship's cough medicine or asprin...talk about sticker shock!!:eek:

My hubby had what ended up as bronchitis

We were in several places, just got off and found a pharmacy.

Found cough syrup for $5.99

I did however think I forgot my toothpaste I was SICKENED to think how much they were charging.

Thankfully I found it.

I have a HUGE bag of meds that we bring, I have never ever had anything taken.

Lets hope your Advil is on the counter when you get home!

I'm confused. You just got off the Jewel and found a paper they looked in your bag. Do you mean leaving on the cruise or when you got off? If it was getting on, could it have been airport security. The only time I've gotten a paper in my luggage is when they said they took out my booze. never that they only just looked inside.

Just got off the Jewel..in my luggage got the paper saying they looked in my bag. Turns out I was missing a new bottle of Advil. Which we needed later in the cruise. Positive I packed it!! Think they took it?.

Gel-caps filled with booze? Guess that took QUITE a bit of time!;)

Yikes on the cough syrup!

I did however think I forgot my toothpaste I was SICKENED to think how much they were charging.

Thankfully I found it.

I forgot my deodorant on one cruise and had to use DH's until I could find some at a shop in port. I was NOT paying the price they wanted on the ship. I felt weird, but :rolleyes:

I'm confused. You just got off the Jewel and found a paper they looked in your bag. Do you mean leaving on the cruise or when you got off? If it was getting on, could it have been airport security. The only time I've gotten a paper in my luggage is when they said they took out my booze. never that they only just looked inside.

Yeah, could it have been TSA that searched your bag at the airport? I also thought RCI doesn't open bags without the owner being present.

Could you prevent RCI from opening your bag without you being present by simply locking them when you drop them off with the porter? If you have one of those TSA locks on your suitcase, do they also have the same TSA key to open it like they do at the airport?

I've had a letter too. I think our letter was from the TSA though. A long time ago, my mother was told that if you pack a lot of lotion, or had lotion on your hands when you pack, then the bomb sniffers might smell glycerin. I have no idea if that is true or not, but that is what the TSA told Mom.

Someone mentioned about taking original prescription bottles. Is that a request made from RCCL? I always take mine in pill keeper containers....and I was thinking of next time putting each day's pills in a snack size baggie. Makes it so handy for tossing in my carry-on. I suppose I could bring the paper leaflets that come with each med. I sure don't want to bring a bunch of bottles.

Just got off the Jewel..in my luggage got the paper saying they looked in my bag. Turns out I was missing a new bottle of Advil. Which we needed later in the cruise. Positive I packed it!! Think they took it? Not a huge deal..just wondering!.
Maybe the guy who checked your luggage had a headache. ;)

He should at least have included a Thank You in the message notifying you that they checked your bags.

That is why they tell you to pack your medications in your carry-ons.

IME, the paper is from TSA, not the cruise line. Had that happen years ago when we had my son's potty chair and a couple of books in a bag...I imagine it looked suspicious on the X-ray!

If the cruise line sees something suspicious, you go to the naughty room.

that stinks..

as a side note, a small bottle of cough medicine on EX this week was....sit down..

$18.00...yes...18 bucks.

needless to say, i stuck with 2 buck a pack cough drops..(we'd left bermuda when i realized i needed it...):eek::mad::rolleyes:

that stinks..

as a side note, a small bottle of cough medicine on EX this week was....sit down..

$18.00...yes...18 bucks.

needless to say, i stuck with 2 buck a pack cough drops..(we'd left bermuda when i realized i needed it...):eek::mad::rolleyes:

adding cough/cold meds to my shopping list before we hit the 5 days at sea... maybe I will have to resort to actually going to a Wallymart while in Hawaii lol

OK! Senior Moment..found my Advil at home! Could of sworn I packed it!

But yes, it was RCL who opened my bag..not the airline. Had a sheet of paper on top of my belongings stating they had opened it. Might of been the bottle of mouthwash my husband had put in.

Also at the muster drill in the coral theater the lady sitting next to me told me they had opened hers. She already had her luggage in her room, I did not have mine at that time.

The first night RCL could not find my husbands piece of luggage until 7pm. We had boarded at 1130. We got a little nervous, went to front desk two times, but our room steward tracked it down. Was on the wrong deck. Our room steward..Aaron on the 9th deck was the best we have had!

Glad you found it. We pack all meds in our carry-on - not because they might be taken but because luggage can go astray. Yes, they can open unlocked luggage - if they see something suspect in locked luggage, they will call you to the naughty room.

I've had a letter too. I think our letter was from the TSA though. A long time ago, my mother was told that if you pack a lot of lotion, or had lotion on your hands when you pack, then the bomb sniffers might smell glycerin. I have no idea if that is true or not, but that is what the TSA told Mom.

Someone mentioned about taking original prescription bottles. Is that a request made from RCCL? I always take mine in pill keeper containers....and I was thinking of next time putting each day's pills in a snack size baggie. Makes it so handy for tossing in my carry-on. I suppose I could bring the paper leaflets that come with each med. I sure don't want to bring a bunch of bottles.

Yes, we recently asked for our mini bar fridge to be emptied since we are expecting to bring some medications that require refrigeration. Royal Caribbean stated in their email to bring original bottles (shows your name and the Dr. That prescribed them) to avoid problems with TSA and customs. I don't think Royal Caribbean themselves care but they are advising their customers in regards to TSA and customs to be prepared.

Like another poster said, the letter might have actually been from TSA that their bag was searched. From what I understand, Royal Caribbean doesn't search your bags without you present watching.

Royal Caribbean has opened my bag and left a note too. It was a backpack with mini-water bottles and I specifically didn't lock it, so they could inspect it with ease. The note (small orange square of paper) clearly indicated it was inspected by RCI for suspicious contents and was cleared. I had driven to the port, not flown.

It is called 'Supply and Demand'.... :eek: When one has the only source, they can charge anything they want. If you need something, wait until the next port and get what you need there.

A long time ago, my mother was told that if you pack a lot of lotion, or had lotion on your hands when you pack, then the bomb sniffers might smell glycerin. I have no idea if that is true or not, but that is what the TSA told Mom.

I think this might be true to some extent. I went through screening at a Hawaii airport and got pulled out because something on my laptop set off the sniffing machine for explosives. I knew i had not been near anything even remotely explosive. The TSA agent said it could be lotion on my hands that touched the laptop. I could never figure the connection, but glad they let me go without much more than checking the laptop to make sure it was okay. I had to turn it on.

RCI does not open your bags unless you are present. The TSA can, and will, open your bags without your being present. And no one is looking for Advil. :)

It bugs me that the TSA can do this. The last time we visited the U.S., we were flying from my mom's house in PA to meet my husband in FL, and the TSA took my case behind a screen and opened it. I questioned the TSA man, saying that I'd like to observe him inspecting my case, but he was having none of it. I said, "But you could put anything in there and say that you found it in my case, and I can't argue with you because I'm standing on the other side of this screen and won't be able to see you do it."

I really felt like my civil liberties were being violated. :mad:

Archived