Which cruise line/port for Italy?

the plumbers wife

We are planning a trip to Italy for 2014! I have looked at several cruise lines and ports. My parents did the land tour ten years ago. The rest of us have never been. We range in age from 19-76. We would like to do the Amalfi coast first, but it seems that many of the lines that sail that route also include Greece/Spain etc. We wanted to cruise just Italy? Maybe we need to rethink this and start elsewhere, its a big country :rolleyes:? Also, do you think the smaller lines Azamara, P/Gauguin etc are a better choice? They do seem to reach more ports? My parents are also concerned that the amount of time it will take us to get to each shore excursion from the ship will consume quite a bit of time. Any information or insight you can help us with would be appreciated!! :)

My husband and I booked a 10-day cruise on Oceania that sails from Rome to Venice. Most of the ports are Italian except for 3. We chose it because it is focused on Italy. I believe they have some Rome to Venice and Venice to Rome sailings in 2014.

....My parents are also concerned that the amount of time it will take us to get to each shore excursion from the ship will consume quite a bit of time. Any information or insight you can help us with would be appreciated!! :)

_

Your parents are smart to be concerned about the amount of travel time at each port.

Have you considered doing a land vacation in Italy instead of a cruise? On a port day, you just get a quick 'taste' of each port. On a land vacation, you can spend as many days as you want at each city and enjoy the entire day and evening soaking up the ambiance. That's very different than traveling to/from a ship each day and returning to the ship for dinner and the evening.

If you choose to take a cruise, look closely at the times the ship will be at each port because the number of hours can vary quite a bit. Also pay attention to the specific day of the week of each port stop because it is common for some museums/sites to be closed on certain days of the week.

You could choose to take a cruise that leaves from one Italian port and ends at another such as Rome and Venice. If you do that, I recommend spending multiple days before and after the cruise enjoying those cities.

Our first Mediterranean cruise was round trip from the port near Rome and we had 5 extra days in Rome. We fell in love with Rome and knew we just had to spend more time there. Less than 6 months later, we flew to Rome and spent almost 3 weeks there. We returned for another 3 weeks less than a year after that.

Enjoy your family trip in Italy!

We are planning a trip to Italy for 2014! ... We would like to do the Amalfi coast first, but it seems that many of the lines that sail that route also include Greece/Spain etc. We wanted to cruise just Italy?

Amalfi is most easily reached from Naples. Thinking you could begin with a couple of days pre-cruise, I looked up cruises originating from Naples. MSC, an Italian line, and RCL, each has cruises that begin in Naples, but both include port calls in France, Tunisia, and Spain.

My parents are also concerned that the amount of time it will take us to get to each shore excursion from the ship will consume quite a bit of time. Any information or insight you can help us with would be appreciated!! :)

Your parents' concern is valid. Still, most of the people on this board have accepted the limits of time in port for the convenience of moving easily from place to place. I'm one of the few participants who always has come down on the side of a land trip in Italy.

I've cruised about twenty times -- in Asia, South America, Alaska, and the Caribbean. (I've also taken a river cruise in Russia.) However, I've yet to take my first Western European cruise. That will change later this year; however, none of the stops will be in Italy. We also have a land vacation planned for Italy. Since, Italy does not work for us as a cruise destination, that's the way we intend to keep doing things for the forseeable future.

I can not thank :) you all enough, please keep the advice coming. Do you think the land tour will be a lot for my parents to do? (They said it was a lot for them 10 years ago) I do think we should rethink the land tour? My sister was concerned about the hours being spent on the (land tour) bus however, it does seem like we are still going to be spending quite a bit of time on one either way.

"You could choose to take a cruise that leaves from one Italian port and ends at another such as Rome and Venice. If you do that, I recommend spending multiple days before and after the cruise enjoying those cities."

That is a very good idea!

Thank you again! :D:D:D

I didn't answer you originally as I already gave you my feedback on the other board where you posted this question.

Honestly, other than the wear and tear of having to change hotels several times, a land tour really IS the best way to see Italy, if that's your goal.

You can look for tours that minimize the travel time. Or if you feel you could navigate on your own, you could simply arrange to have a TA help you arrange stays in 3 or 4 major locations and use tours or public transportation to get around.

At a minimum, you'd probably want to spend a few days in Rome, Venice, Florence, and maybe somewhere on the Amalfi Coast or in Sorrento.

The major benefit of NOT being on a cruise is getting to spend time in these cities at night, which is a real plus in Italy. And getting to eat more local food, of course.

I agree that you should consider a land tour. To make the pace relaxing plan to spend several days in each place you choose. We find it easiest to drive, but would not drive in Rome or Florence. Perhaps you can plan to fly into Rome and out of Venice or vice versa. It is easy to drive from Rome to Florence and then on to Venice. However, do your research on Trip Advisor before driving in Florence. You can also go to Cinque Terra without going too far out of your way.

https://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=Rome,+Italy&daddr=La+Spezia,+La+Spezia,+Italy+to:Florence,+Italy+to:Venice,+Italy&hl=en&ll=43.988862,9.596558&spn=0.500936,1.352692&sll=41.892916,12.48252&sspn=0.518285,1.352692&geocode=FTQ8fwId2He-ACm7jpL5lmEvEzE4bmWTBncPuQ%3BFTLzoAIdU-eVACmtXvG6wPzUEjGAT1oorYcyMg%3BFZnkmwIdgaGrACmt1tKAplYqEzEDKsfvF3nVkw%3BFU9ftQIde-u7ACmJPdbx2rF-RzEvEJK98Majew&oq=venic&mra=ls&t=m&z=10

Rather than do a standard "tour" with a group, I would consider a DIY where you are based in each city for a few days and then take the train to the next city and also arrange a few day or place specific tours (Vatican, etc.). The trains to major cities run frequently, are reasonable priced and safe--elderly aer more "targets," so your Mom should NOT carry a handbag--but an old totebag would be OK--just no valuables in it and watch your belongings on te train and at the station and wear a moneybelt or neck thing inside your shirt. For DIY--they should only have a carryon bag and a backpack or totoe bag--more luggage is better with a set tour where they handle your bags.

A good itinerary is to fly into Rome (lots of flights), spend 3 days in Rome with a pre-arranged tour of the vatican, maybe HO-HO bus and coliseum on your own, and 3rd day something else--there are many tours. Look on viator.com to see all the things you can do. Then take the train to naples and be met by private driver for transfer to amalfi coast hotel---ask hotel for recommendations for transfer. Spend 3 days amalfi, then train back to Rome and connect to Florence, spend 3 nights in Florence, with pre-arranged tickets to the things they want to see. One MUST DO is the Day in Tuscany on viator.com. It is fabulous! You get to see great hillotwns, good wlaking tour of Sienna and cathredal, excellent lunch at local farmhouse/winery. Then, train to Venice, spend 3 nights, and fly out. By DIY, you can set the pace, alternate a busy day with a rest and relax day, etc. In the alternative, I also recommend a few days pre-cruise and post-cruise and then alternate all day excursions with shorter 1/2 days.

If you consider a land tour--look for one that says "relaxed" or low level activity pace. Elaine

We've done a few cruises covering a few ports.... I guess you need to decide where you want to visit. If cruising doing all of major Italian ports in one cruise might be difficult. It's also worth considering that companies such as easyjet (budget airline) offer reasonably priced internal flights within Italy. Could take a bit of planning. We ave just done a Black Sea cruise covering some of Italy, we have stayed pre and post cruise in Italy to see what we wanted.

It's also worth considering that companies such as easyjet (budget airline) offer reasonably priced internal flights within Italy.

Having spent a week riding trains in Italy, I would never take domestic flights - much faster and easier to take trains.

How many are in your party? That does have an important effect on logistics.

Travel is all about choices. You have to take a long look at what exactly you want to see on this trip, and decide what type of trip allows you to fulfill your wishes. I like to combine cruising and land-based travel, especially for this type of trip, so a combination might be your best bet.

My family and I did a DIY land tour of Italy in 2008. We flew into Venice, stayed for 2 nights, then took the train to Rome and stayed there for 4 nights, and then took a bus tour for 2 nights to Sorrento/Capri (so I suppose that part was not technically DIY lol), then back to Rome for 1 night before flying out. I would definitely suggest a land tour for those who have never been to Italy, as it allows you to spend more time in each place and really get a good idea of the culture and the food!

My fiance and I are sailing on a Western Mediterranean cruise on Royal Caribbean for our honeymoon this October. Five of the eight ports are in Italy (Florence, Rome, Naples, Venice, Ravenna). But, since we've both been to Italy, this is okay for us; we only need a day in each. We also chose a cruise instead of a land tour in this instance because we are going to be on our honeymoon and didn't feel like hotel hopping and having to pack and unpack alot.

So anyway, it really depends on what kind of experience you'd like, and what the rest of your family is up for!

You all make valid points!!! I must say that I do think a land tour for us would make the most sense. We would see more and the idea of being there at night would be something to see in all the citys!! I also think that if we spend at least two night in one city at a time, it would be doable for my parents. There are ten in our group. I am not sure we would do a DIY?? But then again we were really leaning towards a cruise ;) ?? What is the best time of year to go as far as the weather and the crowds? So much to think about!! THANK YOU!! :D:D:D

You all make valid points!!! I must say that I do think a land tour for us would make the most sense. We would see more and the idea of being there at night would be something to see in all the citys!! I also think that if we spend at least two night in one city at a time, it would be doable for my parents. There are ten in our group. I am not sure we would do a DIY?? But then again we were really leaning towards a cruise ;) ?? So much to think about!! THANK YOU!! :D:D:D

I agree that this sounds good for your group. However, I would spend at least 3 nights in each town or else you'll spend a huge amount of time packing up your stuff, traveling to the next place, checking in/out of hotels, etc. With 2 nights in each town, you would only have one full day in each place and you would be traveling every other day.

I also would plan nothing for the day you arrive in Italy to let everyone recuperate from the flight.

with your age spans, I would do 3 nights pre/post and a 1 week cruise. Ideally, a cruise that starts/end in different cities--Rome-Venice is typical. that way, you can get a good look at 2 cities and a smattering of other places and more active ones can do more active things and less active can pace themselves. Sometimes these are only 10-12 day cruises, so if time is an issue, you could cut down time in the post-cruise city, as most are ready to head home at the end. We have pre-post/cruise several times with kids and grandparents and it works very well--doing it again this summer.

If you choose RCCL, many of their cruises are 7 day RT from same city. I would do Rome-Rome and either fly 1st to Venice for 3 days and train to Rome to catch ship--very easy, or fly into Rome and then go to Naples-Sorrento for 3 days prior. With both, stay in Rome for 2 days post cruise--1st day after cruise Coliseum, etc. and 2nd day Vatican in the AM, then fly out 3rd day in the AM.

My favorite time is mid-late Sept. The crowds and heat are gone, but still great weather and cost is much lower. But, maybe a 19 yr old is in school? If so, my 2nd favorite time is late May--lower crowds, decent weather, lower cost. Flight are also less in May and Sept vs summer. October get rougher on the Med.

We like Princess--but sort of boring, IMHO for younger (even for us in our 40s). We love Celebrity and RCCL is fine, as well. NCL has the Epic--a big wow ship (we are trying that this summer), but maybe too much for your parents. If all else was equal, I would pick Celebrity.

After reviewing many cruises/land tours and your adivice, my sister and I have decided that the land tour would work best for us!! :D A DIY tour for the people that we have going would not work :rolleyes:.

My next question is which one? We have looked at Trafalgar, Brendan and several others. We would like to do a small group and we have decided that mid September will work! Some of the key points you all made "we will miss seeing the citys at night" - "not enough time to really see the ports when you cruise" - "excursions are a good 1-2 hours away"! We also feel that we will not be as rushed and we will see more of the country side!!!

Any info would be greatly appreciated and thank you all so much!!

I agree that this sounds good for your group. However, I would spend at least 3 nights in each town or else you'll spend a huge amount of time packing up your stuff, traveling to the next place, checking in/out of hotels, etc. With 2 nights in each town, you would only have one full day in each place and you would be traveling every other day.

I also would plan nothing for the day you arrive in Italy to let everyone recuperate from the flight.

I'll second the suggestion that you spend at least 3 nights in each town, remembering that you can take day trips out of town to pick up a lot more sights from a single hotel stay. For example, Orvieto is an easy day trip from Rome. Siena is an easy day trip from Florence. Arezzo is an easy day from Florence. The Chianti region is an easy day trip from Florence. Verona is an easy day trip from Venice.

Changing hotels is the most debilitating and non-productive time consuming part of a land trip. Between packing and unpacking, checking out earlier than you might want and having to deal with luggage before you're able to check into your next hotel, you'll want to be smart about how many hotel changes you schedule.

Also, with your group of ten, I sure would explore hiring a small coach to drive you from place to place. You may feel like you're wasting time back-tracking to the same hotel at the end of a day trip, but, with someone else doing the driving, you can relax and socialize on the return. That's definitely a better use of your time than packing and unpacking.

Besides, you'll probably want to spend most of your time in the major destinations so we're only talking about an occasional day trip.

After reviewing many cruises/land tours and your adivice, my sister and I have decided that the land tour would work best for us!! :D A DIY tour for the people that we have going would not work :rolleyes:.

My next question is which one? We have looked at Trafalgar, Brendan and several others. We would like to do a small group and we have decided that mid September will work! Some of the key points you all made "we will miss seeing the citys at night" - "not enough time to really see the ports when you cruise" - "excursions are a good 1-2 hours away"! We also feel that we will not be as rushed and we will see more of the country side!!!

Any info would be greatly appreciated and thank you all so much!!

My husband and I did a land tour 3 years ago, we used Monograms which is a part of Globus. It is an independant tour, we started in Venice, then onto Florence, Rome and ended our tour in Sorrento. Monograms has a "host" for you in each city, one 1/2 day of your three days is all set up for you with the typical things you would want to see. You then have the rest of that day and the other two to explore the city on your own. They set up everything, hotels, transfers and tours of museums and there are add ons if you want. You also take the fast train between cities.

If you have any questions you can email me at gmail same name as here, bellababe70.

Thank you bellababe70 ! I will look into Globus. I think that might be a better option as oppose to going with one of the larger guided tours such as Trafalgar etc. Trying to pick the right tour for everyrone. Can anyone else recommend any others? Also, has anyone ever done a tour with Trafalgar or Brendan, Triple A? If so what are your thoughts? :D

Some of those tours have 20-40 people on them from the large companies. I would search a little and see if you can find a company that does custom tours for small groups. With 10 people of varying ages, you might be better served (and happier) if you can do something like this.

Go on the internet, use your favorite search engine and look at "custom small group tours in Italy" and go from there.

Some of those tours have 20-40 people on them from the large companies. I would search a little and see if you can find a company that does custom tours for small groups. With 10 people of varying ages, you might be better served (and happier) if you can do something like this.

Go on the internet, use your favorite search engine and look at "custom small group tours in Italy" and go from there.

Agree ... that was the reason that Monograms was amazing IMHO ... there was only a family of 6, and 2 couples which included my husband and myself. It is also nice since you are not obligated to spend any time with anyone else since you are really only in the same hotel and travelling between cities with them other than the tours of museums of course.

My husband said it was Italy for Dummies!! Perfect amount of guided and amazing amount of time to just go at on your own.

Thank you for the tip! I typed in what you said and quite a few custom tours came up! Now, which one to chose :confused:? It seems that you have to add the Sorrento part of the trip to most of them? We know we want to spend three nights there for sure! I looked at Perrillo, Queenslander, Ciao. Some have the deluxe or budget plan, We do want meals included. To much hazzle not to with that amount of people :rolleyes:. I will research Monograms today!! There is so much to think about!!!

Thank you for the tip! I typed in what you said and quite a few custom tours came up! Now, which one to chose :confused:? It seems that you have to add the Sorrento part of the trip to most of them? We know we want to spend three nights there for sure! I looked at Perrillo, Queenslander, Ciao. Some have the deluxe or budget plan, We do want meals included. To much hazzle not to with that amount of people :rolleyes:. I will research Monograms today!! There is so much to think about!!!

Meals, with the exception of breakfast in each hotel, were not included but that was part of what we wanted ... no time constraints on where to be and when to be there. Just walk around and take a chance, we had some amazing meals with no idea where to eat ... lots of places have menus posted outside so you can decide if it's the right fit for your crowd.

Archived