Just off Caribbean Princess: Thoughts

Dulciana8

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are just off the April 6-13 sailing of Caribbean Princess. This was our first time on Princess. I tried to mix some "great" impressions with merely the "good." We also attended our first Cruise Critic Meet and Greet, and enjoyed meeting all the famous faces from our very active Roll Call. (Thank you to Dsawyer and Coachjan for your wonderful organizational skills!)

Here's a link to my member review:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=218474

Some additional thoughts/impressions that I didn't think were worth mentioning in the main review, but had frequently been seen by me on boards: first, we arrived at the pier at around 11:45, and were onboard in about an hour. Second, our bed was fine. A little firm, but we sleep on a firm mattress at home. Third, we arrived in Curacao around 1pm, and were cleared to come ashore around 1:30. (The itinerary stated a 2pm arrival time.) Finally, customs upon our return had two agents, but the line moved along quickly (we did disembark early, before 8am, so I don't know if other agents arrived later, or if the line ever slowed, etc.) and we were off the ship and in our car in less than an hour.

I'd like to thank you all for your help and advice before we sailed. As always, it helps to read through the boards and get the inside "scoop" from passengers. While our first experience on Princess ultimately proved to be somewhat anti-climatic, we wouldn't hesitate to book again if itinerary, ship, price, and time were right.

I don't know if you saved any of your patters but can you tell me the movies that were shown on board for that cruise? TIA

Hi there!

I didn't save the Patters, but off-hand I remember reading about Argo, The Princess Bride, lots of Love Boat re-runs, Skyfall, and The Devil Wears Prada. (There were lots more, but these were what I watched.) Because of the college basketball finals, men's basketball was shown frequently on the MUTS screen. Also they showed numerous "live from..." concert re-runs.

My pre-cruise email also mentioned Les Miserable, but sadly, it was never shown! :(

Lincoln, Jack Reacher and Flight were also shown but not on MUTS. There were other movies in the weekly guide that showed on the in-room TV but I didn't bring that guide home. They did show Hunger Games and I only remember that because my grandchildren were extras in it and I loved watching them while we were at sea.

I'd be very interested in knowing who the CD was. Some are excellent planners and very creative and others, not so much. As for the food, you should make a note of who the Head Chef was as that can make a difference in the quality of the food.

In the future, if you book another Princess cruise, check to see who the CD and Head Chef are as chances are excellent that a different CD and Head Chef will change your impression of Princess. Most people will say they don't care who the CD and/or Head Chef are and that's fine. For others, they can make the difference between an "OK" and a "terrific" cruise.

I'd be very interested in knowing who the CD was. Some are excellent planners and very creative and others, not so much. As for the food, you should make a note of who the Head Chef was as that can make a difference in the quality of the food.

In the future, if you book another Princess cruise, check to see who the CD and Head Chef are as chances are excellent that a different CD and Head Chef will change your impression of Princess. Most people will say they don't care who the CD and/or Head Chef are and that's fine. For others, they can make the difference between an "OK" and a "terrific" cruise.

Pam - we were on this cruise also. The CD was Neil Roberts. The Head Chef was Antonio Cereda and Maitre D' was Mario Propato. We did the Chef's table (again!) and it was one of the more memorable ones we have done. One of my friends in our group speaks very fluent Italian so Antonio gave us the red carpet treatment...even going as far as making us a special seafood pasta just for our table on the last fomal night.

We almost never saw the CD. We saw him once or twice in the Princess Theater and that was it. However, he had a fine staff who worked really hard and did a great job. Who planned everything, I don't know. But, this was a creative group for sure. I would strongly recommend the CD staff. The CD.... well, I have no opinion.

OHiodoglover

Hi there!

I guess I never thought before how much a CD and staff could influence a particular voyage... and ultimately, I'm still not sure if it, for me, would make or break a cruise? I'm really good at lying around on deck with a book and drink in hand doing nothing, or participating in activities if it fancies me... but as CRless and Ohiodoglover stated, the CD Neil wasn't visible at all. (Ohio, great to meet you, by the way!)

Now the food...Well, this problem was a bit more challenging. At first, I blamed myself for the rubbery steak, since I'd ordered it medium well. I tried again the next time with the chef's recommended preparation of medium. And still it was rubbery and seemed as though it had sat on the warming pan for too long. Any way, long story short, after eating two rubbery steaks, a lamb chop (even our waiter wasn't able to slice it!), and a veal chop, I gave up. According to my DH, the fish offerings were great, and obviously, considering my 5 pound weight increase, I didn't starve on board!

When my mother was alive, she and her gaggle of lady friends loved cruising Princess, and she always spoke fondly of everything; naturally her opinions colored my perception of what I thought this cruise would be. My husband and I had a great time, but still left scratching our heads over the items mentioned in my review -- it just seemed rather strange having had Princess recommended to us by so many friends and family to ultimately fall short. Now, my DH and I will gladly try again if a voyage catches our eye! I'm not ready to close the door on Princess, and I continue to be intrigued by their itineraries. Any day at sea is better than one at the office.

Thank you for your thoughts :)

Anne

In the future, if you book another Princess cruise, check to see who the CD and Head Chef are as chances are excellent that a different CD and Head Chef will change your impression of Princess.

Given how far in advance Princess makes their itineraries available (18 months or so) and how far in advance people book, this won't be practical for many folk.

Hi Dulciana

We are Princess people and have been on the Caribbean princess 3 times in the past. We were planning on doing the Canada cruise this fall on this ship and were interested to hear your thoughts

I find it amusing that if this were my first cruise on this ship I would definitely think twice about booking! You don't sound too thrilled about your experience.

Lol!

Although this is not my fav princess ship, it's the only one going to Canada from new york.

We did this cruise the first week of March. We enjoyed it very much. We really like Princess it is one of our favorite cruiselines along with Holland America. I do agree with you about the beef selections on the menu. My DH ordered the fish almost everynight and he said I made the wrong choice. While this was not our best Princess cruise we still enjoyed it. I think if you give Princess another chance you will like it better next time.

I do agree with you about the beef selections on the menu. My DH ordered the fish almost everynight and he said I made the wrong choice. QUOTE]

Funny-- my husband said the same thing. I guess they really were on to something!

Archived