Erosion of Captains Club Benefits: Dining Waitlist

In_Steerage

I was informed upon attempting to book my latest Celebrity cruise, in spite of my Elite status which entitles me to "Priority Waitlist Status for dining room seating"...

...there is in fact no waitlist. I'm forced to take Select dining. Period.

"And now we'll take your credit card since you must prepay your gratuities for Select dining".

Which benefit will be taken away next? :confused:

Get yourself to the Maitre'd once on board and make your request, then if they can't accommodate you - I'm sure with your Elite status you will get you priority on the wait list. Not getting a desired dinner seating is the chance you take if you don't book early enough.

Go online and look at your reservation. Yesterday I was checking my new reservation and noticed that first seating was filled BUT there was a box under it to check if I wanted to be on a waitlist for it!

FYI, never ever take what the first person tells you as truth when talking to X. It's not that they lie, it's that they don't know. Keep looking, keep asking. The amount of misinformation is astounding. If something seems "off" or not quite right... it probably isn't. LOL

Get yourself to the Maitre'd once on board and make your request, then if they can't accommodate you - I'm sure with your Elite status you will get you priority on the wait list. Not getting a desired dinner seating is the chance you take if you don't book early enough.

Thank you for the advice.

But having cruised 30+ times I'm well-aware how the system works. And I'm sure there will be plenty of available table spots for late dining, just as any other cruise I've taken. I don't want Select dining, and I think the current situation of them being "out of traditional dining seats with no waitlist" is a fabricated situation designed to help their cash flow.

That's what irks me and makes this whole situation bogus.

My beef is with Celebrity's policy that Select Diners are forced to pay gratuities up front. Their thinly-veiled excuse is that you'll have different wait-staff every day and they don't want you to be confused as to who gets tips.

Well, everyone knows that no passenger is allowed on a ship without first putting up a credit card or cash from which their daily tips are automatically deducted. I for one am not willing to contribute to Celebrity's cash flow situation by paying gratuities months in advance because some back-room pencil pusher came up with a bright idea to front-load their revenue stream.

If Celebrity wants a tip in advance of rendering service, I'll give them this one: "Change your policy because you're alienating good customers".:mad:

When is this cruise? I thought select dining tips were paid at final payment. Are you already past the final payment date? If so, that may be why the other dining options are full. If not, watch for the wait list to become available for your sailing. Or try calling captain's club...maybe they can help.

So the tips are listed on the booking and a deposit is made, the same deposit as any other reservation. They are charged at final payment; the cancellation amounts and times are the same as any other reservation. To me it's not a big deal, if I kept the money in my bank account I would get a couple of pennies?? I tend to believe the cruiseline about Select Dining tipping being more complicated and likely to result in staff being undertipped. Hopefully, the OP will either get the dining time they want or come to terms with the inconvience of the SD tipping policy and have a great dining experience.

T

My beef is with Celebrity's policy that Select Diners are forced to pay gratuities up front. [...] I for one am not willing to contribute to Celebrity's cash flow situation by paying gratuities months in advance because some back-room pencil pusher came up with a bright idea to front-load their revenue stream.

so you refuse to have your taxes taken out throughout the year and prefer to give Uncle Sam his cut in one lump sum in January because you don't like giving him an interest free loan of your refund?

same concept. is it really worth it to keep that extra couple hundred dollars in your bank account? do you really earn that much interest?

Gratuities are not paid until Final Payment. We have always done Late Dining until our last cruise March '13. We decided to try Select Dining and will not go back to Traditional Dining.

Get on Wait List and maybe you will get lucky.

If you are not happy with Celebrity's policies, & you think they are taking your money early just to help their cash flow, why don't you just cancel the cruise, assuming you are before final payment, & take your money elsewhere?

I think Celebrity would do well to call this something other than "gratuities". It causes a lot of confusion. It's really a service charge (I know that some people don't like that and I'm not trying to convince anyone, but it is what it is).

That said, if I have to pay the charge I don't mind paying ahead of time. It makes our cruise bill less and spreads it out over some time. It really isn't enough money that I think Celebrity contrived any scheme to help their revenues. I think they just want to supplement what they pay their employees and be able to advertise their cruise prices as lower. In their defense, everyone else does this as well so if Celebrity did not do it they'd appear to be more expensive for the same cruise. So calling it something else, like gratuities, masks the expense a bit.

But... we really like Select dining and don't mind paying ahead of time because trying to figure who or how to tip every night would be really difficult. It's kind of a nice feature, regardless of what they call it, that they help you out by taking away some of the confusion and "stuff you have to think about while cruising".

Tom

Thank you for the advice.

But having cruised 30+ times I'm well-aware how the system works. And I'm sure there will be plenty of available table spots for late dining, just as any other cruise I've taken. I don't want Select dining, and I think the current situation of them being "out of traditional dining seats with no waitlist" is a fabricated situation designed to help their cash flow.

That's what irks me and makes this whole situation bogus.

My beef is with Celebrity's policy that Select Diners are forced to pay gratuities up front. Their thinly-veiled excuse is that you'll have different wait-staff every day and they don't want you to be confused as to who gets tips.

Well, everyone knows that no passenger is allowed on a ship without first putting up a credit card or cash from which their daily tips are automatically deducted. I for one am not willing to contribute to Celebrity's cash flow situation by paying gratuities months in advance because some back-room pencil pusher came up with a bright idea to front-load their revenue stream.

If Celebrity wants a tip in advance of rendering service, I'll give them this one: "Change your policy because you're alienating good customers".:mad:

so you refuse to have your taxes taken out throughout the year and prefer to give Uncle Sam his cut in one lump sum in January because you don't like giving him an interest free loan of your refund?

same concept. is it really worth it to keep that extra couple hundred dollars in your bank account? do you really earn that much interest?

The last couple of posters didn't carefully read what I had to say. Not to belabor the point I'm trying to make...

...well... Ok, I'm going to belabor the point, which is this:

1) I have a large sum of shipboard credit. Paying tips up front precludes me from using any of this credit for tips.

2) I give a credit card for my stateroom account when I board, just like any traditional dining passenger. Why is that not enough "security" for Celebrity from which to bill my tips? Why is it more "confusing" for me to have them do such an accounting function just because of my dining assignment?

3) Should I fail to make this cruise for unforseen reasons, prepaid tips put me at risk for an unnecessary additional amount.

Tipping should occur AFTER services are rendered, not before.

We as passengers have very little leverage against cruise ships. Once we pay everything in full and agree to the pages of legal jargon in the ticket contract, we have very little recourse.

Who remembers the fuel surcharge? I believe it was largely the negative customer response which put that practice on the back burner. Similar situation here.

If you are not happy with Celebrity's policies, & you think they are taking your money early just to help their cash flow, why don't you just cancel the cruise, assuming you are before final payment, & take your money elsewhere?

I don't have to cancel.

When I was informed of the circumstances, I decided not to book, along with the other couple we're traveling with.

Yes, I'm taking my money elsewhere.

I don't have to cancel.

When I was informed of the circumstances, I decided not to book, along with the other couple we're traveling with.

How can you have a large amount of shipboard credit if you haven't booked the cruise? First it was about taking your "Elite" benefit away and now it's about using shipboard credit? Sounds vaguely familiar to another thread posted here recently. Personally, I think this thread is one of the most petty things I've heard in a long time. Heaven forbid that there would be a real problem. You definitely made the right decision to go elsewhere.

How can you have a large amount of shipboard credit if you haven't booked the cruise? First it was about taking your "Elite" benefit away and now it's about using shipboard credit? Sounds vaguely familiar to another thread posted here recently. Personally, I think this thread is one of the most petty things I've heard in a long time. Heaven forbid that there would be a real problem. You definitely made the right decision to go elsewhere.

Like!

All good points. Frankly, I'm not sure why they can't charge daily like any other dining arrangement and you're right about the OBC problem. I've heard that from some other people as well.

I can't argue with any of these points :)

The tips are pretty much prepaid these days unless you go to a lot of trouble to get them undone at the start of the cruise (and I don't know why anyone would do that), but prepaying during the cruise is a lot different than paying them a couple months in advance. I don't know why there is a difference.

Tom

The last couple of posters didn't carefully read what I had to say. Not to belabor the point I'm trying to make...

...well... Ok, I'm going to belabor the point, which is this:

1) I have a large sum of shipboard credit. Paying tips up front precludes me from using any of this credit for tips.

2) I give a credit card for my stateroom account when I board, just like any traditional dining passenger. Why is that not enough "security" for Celebrity from which to bill my tips? Why is it more "confusing" for me to have them do such an accounting function just because of my dining assignment?

3) Should I fail to make this cruise for unforseen reasons, prepaid tips put me at risk for an unnecessary additional amount.

Tipping should occur AFTER services are rendered, not before.

We as passengers have very little leverage against cruise ships. Once we pay everything in full and agree to the pages of legal jargon in the ticket contract, we have very little recourse.

Who remembers the fuel surcharge? I believe it was largely the negative customer response which put that practice on the back burner. Similar situation here.

I was informed upon attempting to book my latest Celebrity cruise, in spite of my Elite status which entitles me to "Priority Waitlist Status for dining room seating"...

...there is in fact no waitlist. I'm forced to take Select dining. Period.

"And now we'll take your credit card since you must prepay your gratuities for Select dining".

Which benefit will be taken away next? :confused:

Send a e-mail to

Michael Bayley the CEO of Celebrity contactmichael@celebrity.com

and watch theyou know what hit the fan:)

Agree. Wow, sounds like he lost all that great OBC just because he did not like paying his tips at final payment time...... I guess he showed everyone and moved on.

I don't have to cancel.

If it was a last minute booking, traditional dining might really be full with an overfilled waitlist of other Elites, I suppose. But then, if it was a last minute cruise, one would not be paying tips very far in advance. Surely you know the ways to deal with OBC.

OTOH, if the prospective cruise was a long time off, the lack of waitlist might well have been a temporary glitch and easily solved had you given them the opportunity. Perhaps you didn't want to go too badly...By any chance, might the other couple be your in laws? In that case my DH would be putting up every roadblock, too;) jj

Enjoy the alternative vacation.

I think the point was that OP wants to use the OBC to pay the tips. I didn't get them impression they were trying to get out of it, just do it a different way so they could use the OBC for it.

It doesn't matter if the prepay came 1 day or 1 year ahead of time, it would still preclude using OBC.

I think it's a valid point. It kind of really doesn't make any sense that they charge ahead of time for Select and auto charge during the cruise otherwise.

Tom

If it was a last minute booking, traditional dining might really be full with an overfilled waitlist of other Elites, I suppose. But then, if it was a last minute cruise, one would not be paying tips very far in advance. Surely you know the ways to deal with OBC.

OTOH, if the prospective cruise was a long time off, the lack of waitlist might well have been a temporary glitch and easily solved had you given them the opportunity. Perhaps you didn't want to go too badly...By any chance, might the other couple be your in laws? In that case my DH would be putting up every roadblock, too;) jj

Enjoy the alternative vacation.

I think the point was that OP wants to use the OBC to pay the tips. I didn't get them impression they were trying to get out of it, just do it a different way so they could use the OBC for it.

It doesn't matter if the prepay came 1 day or 1 year ahead of time, it would still preclude using OBC.

I think it's a valid point. It kind of really doesn't make any sense that they charge ahead of time for Select and auto charge during the cruise otherwise.

Tom

The OP has told he is an experienced, knowledgable cruiser...so I did not insult his knowledge by telling how to deal with lots of OBC. presumably he knows or can quickly learn how to solve that issue.

I am not crazy about prepaying the gratuities either, but I will say that the prepay requirement sorts out those who really want select dining from those who are equivocal. That makes it easier for me to get Select if I want it, a plus for me. And it keeps some equivocal people in traditional dining, which is probably a plus for the cruiseline. It may enourage newbies to try traditional dining; they may like it...another plus. Thought the OP only sees one possible reason for the prepay rule, I see more.

Tom

I agree with you. We have chosen Select Dining and would like to use OBC but since that is not possible, just have to go with Celebrity Rules.

Will use the OBC on other things while on the cruise.

As a relative newcomer to the Celebrity board, I'm somewhat confused on this whole gratuity issue.

With HAL, all passengers are charged a daily amount for gratuities. It is added to your bill daily, then paid at the conclusion of the cruise. OBC, if available, can be used to pay for the gratuities, in full or in part. A passenger's dining choice has no impact on the amount charged or the timing for payment.

From what I can gather reading this thread, Celebrity bills you at the time of your final payment if you choose select dining, but upon conclusion of the cruise if you choose set dining. Is this correct?

It appears from some posts that the reason for this is because one doesn't know which members of the staff will be serving select diners on a given night. So what? Is the gratuity money not shared equally among the dining staff (according to their level), whether they are serving the same or different people every night?

HAL also offers the option of not paying the suggested gratuities, leaving it to you to tip as you see fit during the course of the cruise. I don't know if many passengers choose this option, or if Celebrity has a similar "opt out" provision.

I don't advocate any particular method, but I would really like to get a better understanding of the Celebrity system for gratuities.

I can't argue with that. We love Select and don't mind paying ahead since we would pay anyway... but we don't typically get much OBC so it isn't an issue for us. But, we're happy enough to have Select available for our cruises so ... as you say.

Tom

I am not crazy about prepaying the gratuities either, but I will say that the prepay requirement sorts out those who really want select dining from those who are equivocal. That makes it easier for me to get Select if I want it, a plus for me. And it keeps some equivocal people in traditional dining, which is probably a plus for the cruiseline. It may enourage newbies to try traditional dining; they may like it...another plus. Thought the OP only sees one possible reason for the prepay rule, I see more.

Is is as you say here. They bill you every day for gratuities, but you are really charged at the end of the cruise (Traditional dining).

I don't think anyone really knows why they require you to prepay for Select dining. The answer I've always heard is, "They just do" and people tend to be quite defensive about it at times and I don't care so much since we'd have to pay it anyway and so ... I still don't know why.

Tom

From what I can gather reading this thread, Celebrity bills you at the time of your final payment if you choose select dining, but upon conclusion of the cruise if you choose set dining. Is this correct?

It appears from some posts that the reason for this is because one doesn't know which members of the staff will be serving select diners on a given night. So what? Is the gratuity money not shared equally among the dining staff (according to their level), whether they are serving the same or different people every night?

Archived