Flying. Same Day. OMG... The HORROR!!!!!!!!

cruzegurl104

On our first cruise, my dad, his wife, me, and my step sister were flying out of KC to Miami with a layover in Atlanta. My sister and other step sister were flying direct St. Louis to Miami.

There had been quite a bit of weather -- it was January -- the 4 of us from KC made it to Miami and to the ship about 30 minutes prior to the time. I can't remember what it was then. I was 18, not stressed because I had no idea you could miss the ship. LOL.

The 2 from St. Louis though were not so fortunate. Their flight was delayed. They did hold the ship about 3 hours because of the amount of people that had delayed flights. I want to say there were over 200 passengers. When they arrived, we were already in the dining room eating dinner. I want to say it was around 6:30.

This was in 1991, and I really haven't heard the same stories recently.

Another time, we drove from Springfield, MO to Miami. There were 8 of us in a van. We owned a bar then and took our bar staff. We would leave after the bar closed at 2am and drive straight through to St. Augustine. Stay over night, and then drive to Miami the next morning. Well...we finally made it to St. Augustine around 9-10pm. As you can imagine, we all went to the bar at the hotel and drank for way to long. The next morning I woke up to another girl running into our room (and please don't ask why the door was open--I have no idea!). She's like "it's 11:00, we were supposed to leave here by 8:00!!). OMG. You have never seen 8 people load up a van so quickly!

My husband drove like a bat out of hell...I can't believe we didn't get in an accident--we ALMOST did. Did I mention we also had a small U-Haul trailer on the back to haul our luggage (LOL). He was going extremely fast and we hit bumper to bumper on the highway outside of FLL. He couldn't stop in time and purposely took us into the median and drove a few hundred feet to slow down. Then re-entered the highway. UGH!! OMG, I am getting stressed all over again and that was in 2001, 12 years ago! We made it to the ship with about 10 minutes to spare. And then one of the girlfriends (not an employee) IDIOT--left her Birth Certificate in the VAN. We boarded and told her and her boyfriend--well, here are the keys to the van, hopefully we'll see you on board. We had enough of her on the 2 day drive already.

Now a story about a HOTEL arriving the night before. On our 1st Alaska cruise we flew into Anchorage and were doing the pre-cruise train to Denali. We arrived the night before and then had to be at the train station at 7:00am the next morning. Our flight had been a little delayed by a few hours. By the time we made it to Anchorage, it was around midnight. It took what seemed like hours to get our luggage and then we got a taxi to the hotel.

I had booked the hotel (Homewood Suites) far in advance. We arrived and it was around 1:00am at this time. I had specifically booked it because of the shuttle to the train station and their free breakfast in the morning.

When we went to check-in, I could tell something was wrong immediately as they had a look of shock/surprise seeing two weary travelers walking in with luggage at such a late hour. I gave them my name, DL, Credit Card, etc. The girl looked it up, made a few faces, looked at some other things and finally said "Are you sure you haven't already checked in?". Me: "Really?, No, I'm pretty confidant I have not". Her: "Well, there is someone in your room and we have you checked in". Me: "Well, we need to change that, I really don't care what room I'm in, we've been on 3 airplanes for the last 16 hours, we really can sleep in any bed at this point." Her: "We don't have any other rooms". Me "WHAT".

Already long story shortened...someone had taken our room, signed my name on the "check in card"....I really don't know what happened or how it happened. They called everywhere and finally had to buck up to put us in the Hilton downtown (a few blocks from the train station). They still had to come shuttle us to the station the next morning...and since I was "gold" with Hilton, they gave me a free breakfast. Aside from the extra 2 hours this took of my much needed sleep time, it worked out in the end.

WE have not flown in on the day of the cruise. We have driven to Bayonne from between Baltimore and Washington twice on the day of the cruise.

With that said, since you cannot fly in early, please make sure you have cruise travel insurance so if your flight is cancelled or delayed and you miss the cruise, you will be covered finacially.

Mary Anne

Yep!! We will definitely have it.. No worries there!:)

I know I already had a long post, but forgot to mention...

Except for the first cruise that my dad booked, any cruise I fly to I am there a day or more early. Mainly from witnessing my sister's experience. They missed a good portion of that first day.

Any cruise we drive to, since that Miami one, we also are there a day early--or stay much much closer. The following year, we cruised out of Miami again and we drove to Fort Lauderdale...much more relaxing drive to port the next day!

Okay, I'm a planner, and an over-packer. Maybe I don't always plan as well as I'd like (as you'll see), but I do plan. I wouldn't feel safe flying in the same day - well your flight from Atlanta to Fort Lauderdale isn't really far (and I'd probably not feel too worried if in your shoes), but you just never know with 100% certainty...People get bumped from flights, luggage issues, equipment breakdown, and freak weather. I once landed at Hartsfield and the plumbing was out in the entire wing...and this was just having gotten off a flight with turbulence where we weren't allowed to get up and use the bathrooms!!! :eek:It's all a crapshoot, so to speak. :D Once we were forced to land in Atlanta, coming home from Melbourne, Florida due to a horrible storm...We'd already run out of fuel circling, and refueled in Savannah, and Delta wouldn't let us continue till morning after we touched down. Ironically they had NO issues sending all our luggage ahead of us!!! We spent the night in a nasty motel once we could finally catch a bus to take us there. No food, no hot water, and worse at the "Comfort" Inn. We've missed other flights when the airline landed late. Stuff just happens. Flights are more limited, and it's just not what it used to be... These trips weren't even dealing with ships!

When we took an Alaskan cruise a few years back, for whatever reason we decided we'd fly out that evening from LA, and the ship left early afternoon the next day out of Anchorage. So basically, it was a red eye...but did we get a hotel room to sleep in, NOPE...huge mistake! OMG do you know how annoying it is to try to sleep on short metal benches while every 2 minutes an auto recording goes off reminding parents to watch their children?! It's 2am, 2:02am, etc. etc., and the baggage claim area is empty, all but the two crazy cruisers who didn't book a room...I thought NEVER again! But, ha ha ha, on our way back from another cruise, this time out of Barcelona (no wonder the return flight was so reasonable). LOL! It's because we were forced to spend the night in Madrid - you guessed it, the airport AGAIN...I can still hear the young Canadian girl who was in the same boat as we were talking all night long...I just wanted to sleep, but she had verbal diarrhea and would not settle down. LOL! There will NOT be a 3rd incidence of sleeping in an airport if I have any control over things. We will spend the money for a room. I'm too old to do an all nighter in an airport again.:rolleyes:

On our upcoming cruise, we're arriving in Venice a couple days ahead of time. Flying across the world is a different story...I can't chance not coming in ahead of time, because too many things dealing with this distance of travel are out of my control. Never mind now we have the chance to see the city!:)

I guess you're getting a whole mixture of responses because we're all different. Some people like living on the edge. They enjoy thrills, and it's half the fun for them to have a little risk. I'm not dissing them, I'm just saying we all have different degrees of comfort and tolerability. Just discussing a "risky" maneuver makes those of us who like control, and have a strong sense of order,offer a different perspective and a stern warning. I'm not going to give anyone a lecture here...it's not my money nor my vacation, but I will share my opinion, since you asked.

Okay, I'm a planner, and an over-packer. Maybe I don't always plan as well as I'd like (as you'll see), but I do plan. I wouldn't feel safe flying in the same day - well your flight from Atlanta to Fort Lauderdale isn't really far (and I'd probably not feel too worried if in your shoes), but you just never know with 100% certainty...People get bumped from flights, luggage issues, equipment breakdown, and freak weather. I once landed at Hartsfield and the plumbing was out in the entire wing...and this was just having gotten off a flight with turbulence where we weren't allowed to get up and use the bathrooms!!! :eek:It's all a crapshoot, so to speak. :D Once we were forced to land in Atlanta, coming home from Melbourne, Florida due to a horrible storm...We'd already run out of fuel circling, and refueled in Savannah, and Delta wouldn't let us continue till morning after we touched down. Ironically they had NO issues sending all our luggage ahead of us!!! We spent the night in a nasty motel once we could finally catch a bus to take us there. No food, no hot water, and worse at the "Comfort" Inn. We've missed other flights when the airline landed late. Stuff just happens. Flights are more limited, and it's just not what it used to be... These trips weren't even dealing with ships!

When we took an Alaskan cruise a few years back, for whatever reason we decided we'd fly out that evening from LA, and the ship left early afternoon the next day out of Anchorage. So basically, it was a red eye...but did we get a hotel room to sleep in, NOPE...huge mistake! OMG do you know how annoying it is to try to sleep on short metal benches while every 2 minutes an auto recording goes off reminding parents to watch their children?! It's 2am, 2:02am, etc. etc., and the baggage claim area is empty, all but the two crazy cruisers who didn't book a room...I thought NEVER again! But, ha ha ha, on our way back from another cruise, this time out of Barcelona (no wonder the return flight was so reasonable). LOL! It's because we were forced to spend the night in Madrid - you guessed it, the airport AGAIN...I can still hear the young Canadian girl who was in the same boat as we were talking all night long...I just wanted to sleep, but she had verbal diarrhea and would not settle down. LOL! There will NOT be a 3rd incidence of sleeping in an airport if I have any control over things. We will spend the money for a room. I'm too old to do an all nighter in an airport again.:rolleyes:

On our upcoming cruise, we're arriving in Venice a couple days ahead of time. Flying across the world is a different story...I can't chance not coming in ahead of time, because too many things dealing with this distance of travel are out of my control. Never mind now we have the chance to see the city!:)

I guess you're getting a whole mixture of responses because we're all different. Some people like living on the edge. They enjoy thrills, and it's half the fun for them to have a little risk. I'm not dissing them, I'm just saying we all have different degrees of comfort and tolerability. Just discussing a "risky" maneuver makes those of us who like control, and have a strong sense of order,offer a different perspective and a stern warning. I'm not going to give anyone a lecture here...it's not my money nor my vacation, but I will share my opinion, since you asked.

Thanks for sharing! I appreciate your input and stories. I know, parts of Atlanta are pretty sketchy that's for sure... I don't know what sounds worse, the "comfort" inn or sleeping at the airport. Altho, trying to sleep at the airport is beyond miserable. I hope you have a great cruise!!

So.... There are Several threads on this "flying to the cruise on the same day" subject. Lots of cruise critic members here say it's a definite "no no", where as I on the other hand, somewhat agree and disagree all at the same time. :D I would much prefer to fly in the day before, but it's just not happening this time. Sorry, Folks. Yes, I'm talking to you, Nervous Nellie.:rolleyes:

With that being said.. How about some "positive" stories about ppl catching their flights same day their ship sails. No, I'm not wanting to justify my reasons, as I've done it several times before. I'm just interested in stories. Funny stories. Scary stories. Running thru security running to the plane bc you forgot "something" Kind of stories. Anything like that.

I feel like sometimes these boards are just so serious, about what you should and should not do, on your cruise or for your cruise, that I thought it could use a lighthearted thread. So humor me. I'm stuck at work & in bad need of an umbrella drink. :)

"Running through security" ???? :rolleyes:

I don't know where you live, but where I live that would insure that you would be going on a trip, but not on a plane or a cruise.

I don't know where you live, but where I live that would insure that you would be going on a trip, but not on a plane or a cruise.

Ummm... Wow. Wake up on the wrong side of the bed today? Your alive, breathing, hopefully well, no need for a crabby attitude. I live in Atlanta, thank you so much for asking. It seems that other members who've posted, get the gist of what I meant by the number of replies and stories on this thread. "Running thru security to catch your plane to catch your cruise." Is that better?:rolleyes:

With all that is going on now in Boston I don't believe anyone will be running thru security.:eek::eek:

So.... There are Several threads on this "flying to the cruise on the same day" subject. Lots of cruise critic members here say it's a definite "no no", where as I on the other hand, somewhat agree and disagree all at the same time. :D I would much prefer to fly in the day before, but it's just not happening this time. Sorry, Folks. Yes, I'm talking to you, Nervous Nellie.:rolleyes:

With that being said.. How about some "positive" stories about ppl catching their flights same day their ship sails. No, I'm not wanting to justify my reasons, as I've done it several times before. I'm just interested in stories. Funny stories. Scary stories. Running thru security running to the plane bc you forgot "something" Kind of stories. Anything like that.

I feel like sometimes these boards are just so serious, about what you should and should not do, on your cruise or for your cruise, that I thought it could use a lighthearted thread. So humor me. I'm stuck at work & in bad need of an umbrella drink. :)

I always fly/cruise the same day - in the UK you purchase as a package - so if flight late the ship will wait for you, if it can't it will get you to the next port of call ASAP to catch the ship.

First cruise I did, one flight was late - the ship sailed 3 hrs later

If I lived in the US I would fly the day before though

With all that is going on now in Boston I don't believe anyone will be running thru security.:eek::eek:

Haha!! Unfortunately, this is probably true.

Maybe I should change it to say.. "After clearing a painfully sloooowwww security line, pulling all of your bags behind you, you make a mad dash to the gate, with only minutes to spare before closing"....

:o:eek::)

The 3 times I flew to Florida for a cruise (2 to orlando 1 to Tampa) I took the direct early flight from Manchester ( I only live 30 minutes from the airport) 6:30-9:30 am flight which always gives me plenty of time to get to port and board the ship in time for lunch at the Windjammer and drinks by the pool with still time to spare to wait a few hours for bags to arrive to the room (that's why I always have my bathing suit on me). Of course each time I went it was in the late spring time so no weather related issues. If I were to take a winter cruise, flying out of New England that yeah I would probably go the night before.

A little late to the party but ...

Sometimes it cannot be helped. For our Alaskan cruise in 2011, we had to fly from New Orleans to Vancouver, with a stop in Dallas, the day of the cruise. One of my traveling companions needed dialysis, and we just couldn't fly in a day early.

So yes, I was a bit nervous. Our schedule had us catching the first flight out of New Orleans, an hour layover in Dallas and we'd be in Vancouver by 11:00!!! Ship was leaving at 4:00, not great but doable for sure. Made some arrangements for direct transportation to the ship from the airport, so I'd done everything I could to make sure we made it.

Left New Orleans on time and was off the plane in Dallas 10 minutes early!!! Life is indeed good!!! :D

2 hours later, our plane is still not there!!!!! Life sure sucks!!! :(

Even the winds were against us, and we landed in Vancouver 3 hours late. Vancouver was a happening place that day (of course) but we made it through customs in about 45 minutes and I just knew we'd never make it! :confused: But my limo driver was there waiting on me (sometime I'm sooo smart :p) and he got us to the pier in time.

Lines there were brutal, but I figured they weren't gonna leave us standing in line to board. By the time we got on board, they were conducting the muster drills, went straight to my station.

But we all made it, and went on to have an absolutely awesome cruise. I surely wouldn't recommend this, but if it has to be done, make the right preparations and hope for the best!!!

I've always flown in early for a cruise but I will chime in a happy story about a flight though (just to prove I didn't wake up on the wrong side of the bed...just the off-topic side :D)

We were flying to Jakarta, Indonesia a year ago and I'd bought flights from Lufthansa. They were routed Helsinki-Jakarta with a 50-minute transfer at Munich.

The plane we were flying with to Munich landed 20 minutes late. So our transfer time shrank to 30 minutes.

Then the plane went through de-icing and and lost it's take-off slot and ended up being 40 minutes more late.

Our transfer time was then minus 10 minutes and I had already given up all hope of making the next flight in time.

But then the captain announced that due to strong winds, we'd be landing 50 minutes ahead of schedule.

Our transfer time bumped back to 20 minutes!

The cabin crew asked everyone if they had a connecting flight and let those of us who did, exit the plane first.

They had a minivan outside the plane for the 9 of us who were transferring onto the flight to Jakarta. They drove us to a private passport control and then to the gate. We made it to the plane in time and it left only 5 minutes later than it should have.

AND our luggage made it as well.

German efficiency has indeed earned it's reputation :D

Sometimes these things do have a happy end.

I've always flown in early for a cruise but I will chime in a happy story about a flight though (just to prove I didn't wake up on the wrong side of the bed...just the off-topic side :D)

We were flying to Jakarta, Indonesia a year ago and I'd bought flights from Lufthansa. They were routed Helsinki-Jakarta with a 50-minute transfer at Munich.

The plane we were flying with to Munich landed 20 minutes late. So our transfer time shrank to 30 minutes.

Then the plane went through de-icing and and lost it's take-off slot and ended up being 40 minutes more late.

Our transfer time was then minus 10 minutes and I had already given up all hope of making the next flight in time.

But then the captain announced that due to strong winds, we'd be landing 50 minutes ahead of schedule.

Our transfer time bumped back to 20 minutes!

The cabin crew asked everyone if they had a connecting flight and let those of us who did, exit the plane first.

They had a minivan outside the plane for the 9 of us who were transferring onto the flight to Jakarta. They drove us to a private passport control and then to the gate. We made it to the plane in time and it left only 5 minutes later than it should have.

AND our luggage made it as well.

German efficiency has indeed earned it's reputation :D

Sometimes these things do have a happy end.

Awesome story! I love it when circumstances end up better than originally thought:)

Awesome story! I love it when circumstances end up better than originally thought:)

I know, I was a nervous wreck -for nothing!

We've flown with 20 or so airlines and Lufthansa is our favourite. They always deliver.

I can understand people flying in on the day of embarkation if it is a short flight and there are plenty more flights available that day.

Coming from Europe to the US, two days is a must for us.

We missed our connections in October at Heathrow (everybody did that day) and boy was I happy I'd booked four days pre our Allure cruise. We wouldn't have made it to the cruise the next day either...

We flew British Airways from Orlando to Venice, with a connection at Heathrow. There was only about 40 minutes between connecting flights at Heathrow. I asked the BA rep if they were confident that we could make the connection. She said it's no problem at all. We were a few minutes late getting to Heathrow, and the BA people literally ran us to the connecting flight. We made it by about 3 minutes. I told my wife "that's the last time we'll see our luggage for awhile". Lo and behold, our luggage was in Venice. All I can say is "big ups for BA".

For 6 of my 10 cruises, I flew and cruised in the same day with no problems at all and had plenty of time to spare. In most cases, when I got to the dock it was still too early to board. All of these were direct flights from AZ to CA and almost always with a time difference (we don't change our clocks in AZ), which bought me an extra hour. If I could keep doing it, I would. But the Mexico cruises are mostly (if not completely) gone.

Granted, I had everything in my favor. My flights were the first of the day which are rarely delayed (the plane and crew spent the night there). I was flying west (time was on my side) and they were all direct flights (connections will kill ya). And in every case, my arrival time was before the boarding start time for the cruise, so I had plenty of buffer. And for some of them, I could drive to the ship in about the same time it took to fly.

For the rest of my cruises, I had to fly to the east coast. It is absolutely impossible to fly and cruise on the same day doing that. Literally, I'd have to leave before midnight to make it work.

My cruise last year almost proved going the day before is too late. Left AZ at 6 am the day before the cruise leaving from Port Canaveral. Should be no problem, right? Connection got cancelled as I left AZ. Rerouted to Miami where thunderstorms had delayed everything. Left late because of ground equipment issues and arrived in Orlando at 2 am. Ground crew there had to turn over a connecting plane, so no bags until 3 am only to discover mine got left in Dallas. The mint on the pillow was the taxi took me to the wrong hotel and I didn't get to bed until 4:30 am. Everything turned out fine after that, but it was a little close given I flew the day before sailing.

I know, I was a nervous wreck -for nothing!

We've flown with 20 or so airlines and Lufthansa is our favourite. They always deliver.

I can understand people flying in on the day of embarkation if it is a short flight and there are plenty more flights available that day.

Coming from Europe to the US, two days is a must for us.

We missed our connections in October at Heathrow (everybody did that day) and boy was I happy I'd booked four days pre our Allure cruise. We wouldn't have made it to the cruise the next day either...

Yes, I think there are 5 more flights behind ours at 8:45...

I'm getting beyond excited. I could kick myself for booking this far out. :rolleyes:

I learned my lesson to fly in the day before a cruise on my very first cruise... We were flying from Albany to Newark to Miami in January 2010 to sail on the Carnival Imagination. Our flight was all set for the day before our cruise, and we had a hotel booked in Miami.

Well, the weather wasn't great so our flight was first delayed because of that. We waited and waited for another plane, and finally got on one to Newark. When we arrived in Newark, we found that there had been a security breach so EVERYONE had to get off the planes (in addition to the people already waiting for flights). This delayed all planes. Thankfully, we didn't have to worry about missing our flight, since all planes were held.

We ended up getting into Miami at around 6 in the morning, when we should've been there the evening before. If we had flown the day of the cruise, we definitely would have missed it. Flying the day of your cruise is not worth the risk if you can avoid it!

We ended up flying in the day of our cruise, but not by choice! We had booked a later flight the evening before our August 2011 Freedom OTS cruise. The plan was to fly out of Pittsburgh around 8 pm, then connect in Atlanta, and arrive in Orlando MCO at 12:30 a.m. We booked the Hyatt in the Orlando airport to get as much sleep as possible before leaving for our cruise that morning. We were getting a ride to the port from a friend who lives in the Orlando area.

Well...shortly after arriving at the gate in Pittsburgh, we began hearing a lot of people called to the desk and talk about mechanical problems, delayed flights and rescheduling. After some time had passed we knew we would never make our connection in Atlanta that night. The airline cancelled our connecting flight for that evening and rescheduled us on a morning flight from Atlanta, and arranged for our hotel stay overnight in Atlanta. We took a risk and decided not to claim our bags in Atlanta, and pray that they system would work so they'd be waiting for us the next morning in Orlando.

I was so worried that more things would go wrong and we'd miss the cruise, but thankfully everything turned out just fine after that! We arrived in Orlando around 10 a.m. on the day of our cruise, and easily found our luggage waiting for us!! We were on the ship by lunch time :) Good luck to you!

On my first cruise - and I'm going to date myself here - my co-worker and friend and I were sailing on the Carnival Celebration. Which I thought was huge by late 80's standards.

We drove to Detroit and got on our flight there. Due to some problem, the flight was late. Then they had to de-ice the plane. I'm sitting in my seat totally freaking out. Luckily my girl friend was cool as a cucumber.

We made it to Miami but not with a lot to spare. We ran (in a dress and heels...like I said, it was the 80's) through the airport to find our ride from Carnival to the port. We were the last ones on the shuttle. Giggling like schoolgirls, we threw ourselves in the seat of the shuttle and thought - Bring on the fun!!! We'd been through the fire already.

I do fly in a day or two before the cruise but I am blessed with a lot of vacation time. I totally understand why you're flying in that day and God Bless You - say a prayer before you get on the plane. It works!

Mary

Archived