Flying. Same Day. OMG... The HORROR!!!!!!!!

cruzegurl104

Arrived in Miami, got our luggage, took the shuttle to the ship and boarded the ship. Carnival successfully does this over and over again.

CARNIVAL had Nothing to do with you making the cruise. It was the airline. Carnival, is only a booking agent.

Plenty of people fly in the same day as a cruise departure, and make the sailings just fine.

There is no perfect world and it totally depends on risks people are willing to take. People are darn good at making "excuses" that sound great to them. :)

It doesn't matter to me, if anyone else misses their cruise, and I have special circumstances that require me to fly in several days prior to every cruise (nonrev). Everyone has to do what they have to do.

The need, however, should be on what people need to do, IF they become a risk to miss their cruise. Don't waste time standing in the long lines etc, and have other flights known that will work. Get on the phone yourself.

Hi cw2go,

Your post caught my attention and wanted to know if you could provide more details about your Barcelona Med cruise (ie - which airline did you fly, did you have multiple connections, etc)?

Reason for asking is because I too, am being risky by flying in the day of my Mediterranean cruise aboard Celebrity Equinox out of Barcelona. More so out of ignorance than anything. I've only cruised once before and flew in the day of the cruise with no issues.

A friend flew to Barcelona for a same day cruise a few years ago. His initial flight was delayed, making it a very tight connection at JFK. He made it, his luggage didn't, and it took about 4 months before they ever found his luggage and got it back to him. Actually now that I think about it, I think he did miss the cruise and had to meet the ship the next day in Nice. Regardless, he spent the entire cruise with just his carry on.

It is funny how most of the replies on this has nothing to do with the original post.

Almost any post with 250+ replies will veer widely from the original topic.

A friend flew to Barcelona for a same day cruise a few years ago. His initial flight was delayed, making it a very tight connection at JFK. He made it, his luggage didn't, and it took about 4 months before they ever found his luggage and got it back to him. Actually now that I think about it, I think he did miss the cruise and had to meet the ship the next day in Nice. Regardless, he spent the entire cruise with just his carry on.

Almost any post with 250+ replies will veer widely from the original topic.

It is like round robin we we were kids.

CARNIVAL had Nothing to do with you making the cruise. It was the airline. Carnival, is only a booking agent.

Guess you missed part of my post.

1. Carnival WAS the booking agent. We purchased our airfare through their "Fly Aweigh" program.

2. That bright, shiny bus we boarded at the airport was Carnival's shuttle.

Basically Carnival arranges for passengers to fly to Miami (or wherever) and arranges for those passengers and arranges for passenger transport from the airport to the Port of Miami (or whetever). Most of the time passengers who book through Carnival, and who fly in same day, make their cruise. If they didn't, Carnival would have a lot of angry passengers and a lot of extra expense transporting those passengers to the next port to join the ship.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

Most of the time passengers who book through Carnival, and who fly in same day, make their cruise. If they didn't, Carnival would have a lot of angry passengers and a lot of extra expense transporting those passengers to the next port to join the ship.

Don't quote me but if you purchase your flight with the cruise company the i think it would be just like booking an excursion with a cruiseline. If the plane is delayed and comes in later they would wait for you. If it was canceled and came in days late they would make other arrangements maybe with another cruiseline or something.

Most of the time passengers who book through Carnival, and who fly in same day, make their cruise.

Most of the passengers who book through ANY AGENT, and who fly in the same day, make their cruise. It's not because Carnival is the booking agent, it's simply that the odds are that even flying same day you will make it. But again, regardless of who your booking agent is, there is always a chance you will miss the cruise, and those odds greatly increase when you fly in the same day.

i think it would be just like booking an excursion with a cruiseline. If the plane is delayed and comes in later they would wait for you.

Maybe, maybe not. Would they wait an hour or two if you had booked air through them? Very possibly. But let's say you are flying from Podunk USA, to ATL and then onto Barcelona for a cruise. Your flight from Podunk to ATL is delayed, causing you to miss your connection at ATL. The next flight from ATL to BCN isn't until the next evening (not an uncommon schedule for transatlantic flights), a full day later. I assure you the ship is NOT going to wait a whole day for you.

1. Carnival WAS the booking agent. We purchased our airfare through their "Fly Aweigh" program.

Basically Carnival arranges for passengers to fly to Miami (or wherever) and arranges for those passengers and arranges for passenger transport from the airport to the Port of Miami (or whetever). Most of the time passengers who book through Carnival, and who fly in same day, make their cruise. If they didn't, Carnival would have a lot of angry passengers and a lot of extra expense transporting those passengers to the next port to join the ship.

Though I agree with the first part of your post, what I bolded is incorrect. Carnival doesn't pay for transporting passengers to the next port when they miss the sailaway even when the flights are booked through the cruise line. Check the conditions of carriage. It very clearly states that the cruise line is a "booking agent" and will do things like "help" and "assist", but that is all. Just like if you booked through a travel agent. They would also help and assist, but would not be responsible for paying for any additional costs due to airline flight delays.

Maybe, maybe not. Would they wait an hour or two if you had booked air through them? Very possibly. But let's say you are flying from Podunk USA, to ATL and then onto Barcelona for a cruise. Your flight from Podunk to ATL is delayed, causing you to miss your connection at ATL. The next flight from ATL to BCN isn't until the next evening (not an uncommon schedule for transatlantic flights), a full day later. I assure you the ship is NOT going to wait a whole day for you.

That is why i said they might make arrangements with another cruiseline or other arrangements. Like at the next port. I think it is a each their own thing. Not everyone who smokes is going to get cancer but for me i choose to extend my vacation and fly in 2-3 days early.

THOUSANDS of people do this EVERY week without a problem Im sure. With that said, I think they only way I would consider it is if I booked my airfare through the cruiseline.

Have done it on several cruises in the past, usually using the cruiselines air. Will never do it again;

Their air had us transfering planes in Atlanta with a late starting time! Paid for deviation, got a non-stop flight and still missed lunch.

Cruise leave London. We made it, but some people with cruise air missed connections due to weather in Chicago. They joined the ship the next day but their luggage was still in Chicago. When they asked when it would catch up to the ship were told about 9/11 and all flights were cancelled!

We have gone on two cruises packaged by a firm in Boston with a land component for the first few days. Liked the land part, but it allowed for airline problems getting to Europe.

My point, is, the AIRLINE is who transported you, had NOTHING to do with the cruiseline. They are NOT operating any airline. Any issues with an airline- the "booking agent" has no say in. Do you think if "Carnival" tells the airline to find another plane- in the case of mechanical problems, they are going to do it? eg

So, Carnival had a bus? So does every car rental company, airport hotels etc. Again, has nothing to do with any airline.

My point, is, the AIRLINE is who transported you, had NOTHING to do with the cruiseline. They are NOT operating any airline. Any issues with an airline- the "booking agent" has no say in. Do you think if "Carnival" tells the airline to find another plane- in the case of mechanical problems, they are going to do it? eg

So, Carnival had a bus? So does every car rental company, airport hotels etc. Again, has nothing to do with any airline.

So we are beating a dead dog. Well if the booking agent "the cruiseline" finds out the airline did not try and make it RIGHT hmm i don't know i think the agent would stop using them. It would and is in the best interest of everyone to try and make good on things.

And i am not even sure why i am posting. This thread is a dead dog. People are going to fly same day 99.9% of them are going to have no problems. Its a personal choice.

THOUSANDS of people do this EVERY week without a problem Im sure. With that said, I think they only way I would consider it is if I booked my airfare through the cruiseline.

Agreed.

If airfare booked via cruise line,

in case you miss the cruise on the first day due to legitimate flight schedule delay,

you are covered all expenses until you are rerouted to next port of call .

Though I agree with the first part of your post, what I bolded is incorrect. Carnival doesn't pay for transporting passengers to the next port when they miss the sailaway even when the flights are booked through the cruise line. Check the conditions of carriage. It very clearly states that the cruise line is a "booking agent" and will do things like "help" and "assist", but that is all. Just like if you booked through a travel agent. They would also help and assist, but would not be responsible for paying for any additional costs due to airline flight delays.

Then I guess the people we sat next to on our flight home, the ones who missed the ship and had to be flown to the next port, were lying?

Or maybe you don't understand Carnival's Fly Aweigh program. http://www.carnival.com/legal/fly-aweigh.aspx

Yeah, they act as booking agent AND travel insurer.

Do you think if "Carnival" tells the airline to find another plane- in the case of mechanical problems, they are going to do it? eg

Ha, good one! But unfortunately there are some who seem to believe that's exatcly what would happen... that Carnival (or whichever cruise line) would magically make another aircraft appear.

if the booking agent "the cruiseline" finds out the airline did not try and make it RIGHT hmm i don't know i think the agent would stop using them.

You're kidding, right? Because they have been reports of the airline saying "sorry, we can't help you." And guess what? I don't think any cruise line has stopped using any particular airline as a result. Not saying that happens every time but it can and does occur.

Of course, technically in such stories, it really isn't the airline saying "we can't help you" so much as it's the airline saying "sorry, you purchased a bottom of the barrel ticket from the cruise line and the t&c of that ticket do not allow us to reroute you, or endorse your ticket over to another airline, so we can't help you RIGHT NOW. We can meet our legal obligation to get your to point B, but according to the t&c, we aren't liable for getting you there in time to meet a cruise (attend a wedding, see a ballgame, go to a meeting, etc.), so as far as that goes you may be SOL, and besides- we prefer to first help our most frequent flyers and those who paid full price for their ticket anyway."

Flew the same day for the first time last week Baltimore to San Juan- worked out great but would still prefer to go down the day ahead just because I would prefer not to start out a vacation with additional unnecessary stress.

You're kidding, right? Because they have been reports of the airline saying "sorry, we can't help you." And guess what? I don't think any cruise line has stopped using any particular airline as a result. Not saying that happens every time but it can and does occur.

Of course, technically in such stories, it really isn't the airline saying "we can't help you" so much as it's the airline saying "sorry, you purchased a bottom of the barrel ticket from the cruise line and the t&c of that ticket do not allow us to reroute you, or endorse your ticket over to another airline, so we can't help you RIGHT NOW. We can meet our legal obligation to get your to point B, but according to the t&c, we aren't liable for getting you there in time to meet a cruise (attend a wedding, see a ballgame, go to a meeting, etc.), so as far as that goes you may be SOL, and besides- we prefer to first help our most frequent flyers and those who paid full price for their ticket anyway."

I agree, this poster, seems to think that there are more obligations than there are in fact. Probably not a frequent traveler to experience what sometimes goes on.

So we are beating a dead dog. Well if the booking agent "the cruiseline" finds out the airline did not try and make it RIGHT hmm i don't know i think the agent would stop using them. It would and is in the best interest of everyone to try and make good on things.

And i am not even sure why i am posting. This thread is a dead dog. People are going to fly same day 99.9% of them are going to have no problems. Its a personal choice.

The original intent of this thread was to bring humor to a forum which is often way too serious..... so kudos to the OP, as even the comedy of George Carlin himself falls flat on this board when trying to make people smile.

My story about nearly missing a plane.... the first note of doom was the sound of the fuel light coming on in the rented car on the way to JFK- while in the middle of the GW bridge at rush hour. Somehow that little car managed to economize every drop of gas while traffic was stopped in many places en-route, including the entrance to the airport just to make sure the stress continued for the entire journey. :o

The second note was on the monorail at the airpor on the way to our terminal, when I realized that the garment bag with DH's tux and suit was still in the trunk of the rental car we had just dropped off. I told him we are lucky that the QM2 has formal wear for rent.... he said "no way" and when we got to our terminal and checked in, he went outside to find a taxi.

The only taxi around at departures had a driver arguing with an eastern European woman abut what she owed him. Like a scene in a really bad Bruce Willis movie he showed them his badge (he is a corrections officer :rolleyes: ) ....the woman paid the driver and left. DH offered him $20 dollars to take him to the Enterprise rental building and back. I waited at the terminal, pacing back and forth until he showed up less than an hour before our flight was scheduled to leave.

We still had to go through security....luckily we had BC seats so that we could go through the express line but we cut it so close that we were the last people to board. I plopped down in my seat and kiddingly said to DH "where is my champagne?" sure we would never get it, but the FA was already walking over to bring it to us.

Yes it was stressful but I am glad we can look back and laugh :)

I also have a great story about coming back late from a shore excursion but it was booked with the cruise line so we knew we wouldn't be stuck... which I will save for another board ;)

Yeah, they act as booking agent AND travel insurer.

Actually, I believe Carnival Corp, while they may call it Carnival Vacation Protection Plan is actually insured by Stonebridge, just like their subsidiaries Princess Vacation Protection and Cunard Care are actually insured by Berkley.

Which is why I have to chuckle when people say the cruise lines don't want to honor the policy because "since they are self insured they are paying the claims themselves" :rolleyes:

Don't you think?:rolleyes:

My husband was able to negotiate some hours on his shift, so now we're flying in the night before. Our plane lands (supposed to) at 10:45.... So no sightseeing our lunching in lauderdale for us. Straight to the hotel I guess,, but at least we will already be there I suppose.

Drat,, I was looking forward to coming back here to post the success of our same day flight. Hahaha... Oh well. :)

• 2 months later...
I'm an airline pilot. I know how the system works and there's no way in hell I would ever fly in the day of a cruise.

I see people constantly that are stressed to the max about missing their ship because of a late or cancelled flight.

My advice: you've saved and saved for a nice cruise vacation for a week of R&R. You've looked forward to it for weeks, months or possibly even more than a year. Don't ruin it by going cheap and trying not to spend $100 on a hotel room. You'll end up spending more in the end. And that vacation you've been waiting and saving for? RUINED!!

Love your response but where are you staying for $100.... Does that also mean you would leave the next day after a cruise so you could get out early in the morning? Are you traveling solo or with a family...might make a huge difference.

Don't quote me but if you purchase your flight with the cruise company the i think it would be just like booking an excursion with a cruiseline. If the plane is delayed and comes in later they would wait for you. If it was canceled and came in days late they would make other arrangements maybe with another cruiseline or something.

You need to read the fine print in your cruise contract. The cruise line has NO RESPONSIBILITY or LIABILITY for air, hotels, excursions, transport on non owed equipment. The only thing the cruise line is absolutely responsible for is the ship, tenders and a few hotels/train cars/buses that are owned by the cruise lines, primarily in Alaska.

While most of the time, the ship will wait for a late cruise line booked excursion, they are under NO obligation to do so.

And if you miss the cruise due to cruise line booked air, the cruise line is certainly not making arrangements with another cruise line. You missed your cruise, plain and simple. The only thing the cruise line absolutely must refund is your airfare. You don't get your cruise fare back unless you have insurance.

Archived