Flying. Same Day. OMG... The HORROR!!!!!!!!

cruzegurl104

Umm,, see?? This is wayyyy to serious. :cool:

I'm not saying that I can't afford the hotel. I could afford several if it came down to it. Our schedules do not warrant extra time to do the fly in beforehand thing this time. Hopefully next. I'm definitely not cheap. Ask my hubby. ;)

Thanks tho.

While, I've done it both ways...flying in the day of the cruise, and the day (or two) before. I've never missed a cruise as a result.

Like you, I work on most weekends. While taking time off can be done (I'm self employed), there's the loss of that work time that translates into money or productivity lost.

It also depends on where you're flying out of. Southern FL it isn't so bad because hotels tend to be reasonable. Same goes for NOLA (plus, New Orleans is fun).

Cruising out of New York? Whole different story. A decent hotel anywhere in NYC is going to run at least $250/nt. Food will be another $100/day. Add taxis and tips, you're looking at a $350-$500 addition to your cruise cost for a one night stay.

I'm flying to NYC the day of my next cruise (Breakaway on June 2). I land at 11:20 a.m at LGA. Firgure to be at the cruise terminal no later than 1:00 p.m....probably be there closer to 12:30.

However, it's a direct flight. Weather should be good that time of year. So, any delays would most likely be a screw up by Delta (which is entirely within the realm of possibility).

A couple of times we have been on flights where a passenger had a medical emergency and they diverted our flight to make an emergency landing at an unscheduled airport along the way.

Once when we were not able to land in a bad lightning storm, they diverted us to another airport and comped everyone's hotel room for that night.

Throughout the years we have had flights cancelled when they shut down an airport because of an ice storm, or departure delayed when our plane was late arriving or there was a problem at our destination airport.

But most of the times when flights were delayed or cancelled, it was due to mechanical problems.

A dozen years ago, I wouldn't have thought twice about it. Did it for our Honeymoon on the Disney Magic.

Married Friday, got to our honeymoon suite at about 1 a.m., got up at 5 a.m. to catch the 6:15 a.m. Saturday flight to Orlando. On the bus by 10 a.m. and on the ship by noon, no worries.

Course, if there was an issue, there were two or three other non-stops that would have made it in time.

Now, our hometown airline doesn't exist (Midwest Airlines) so we lost most of our non-stops to Orlando and there might be one that lands around 11 a.m. Otherwise, they all connect and land at 2:30 or later on Saturdays.

Chicago is a different story as there are a lot out of Chicago, but we always go at the latest, the night before.

On my first cruise - and I'm going to date myself here - my co-worker and friend and I were sailing on the Carnival Celebration. Which I thought was huge by late 80's standards.

We drove to Detroit and got on our flight there. Due to some problem, the flight was late. Then they had to de-ice the plane. I'm sitting in my seat totally freaking out. Luckily my girl friend was cool as a cucumber.

We made it to Miami but not with a lot to spare. We ran (in a dress and heels...like I said, it was the 80's) through the airport to find our ride from Carnival to the port. We were the last ones on the shuttle. Giggling like schoolgirls, we threw ourselves in the seat of the shuttle and thought - Bring on the fun!!! We'd been through the fire already.

I do fly in a day or two before the cruise but I am blessed with a lot of vacation time. I totally understand why you're flying in that day and God Bless You - say a prayer before you get on the plane. It works!

Mary

Thanks for the sweet words Mary! Loved your story:)

Our first cruise, 10 years ago, we cruised out of San Juan, and we flew there the day of. Our connecting flight out of Philly was delayed about 5 hours. Let's just say we were really nervous. We did make the ship (along with about 30 other people on the same plane), and there was NO LINE waiting to get on, so there's a positive. We just sprinted up, they took our paperwork and bags, did our cards, and we ran on the ship. They were in the middle of the muster drill, so we were told, "um, just go to your cabin and stay there until it's over." So, if you don't want to do the muster drill, that's another positive. On the other hand, we missed our first dinner in the MDR, and our suitcases didn't arrive to our room until after midnight.

Our first two cruises were from San Juan and we had a same day flight for both - made it on time. But what were we thinking? January from the snowbelt?

However, those were the days when airports ran well and planes flew with empty seats so you could probably get the next flight out.

Today? I wouldn't fly or drive the same day.

Even driving can have it problems. We stayed overnight near the airport for a land vacation and on the way to the airport the next morning, we hit an island because we couldn't see a thing through the rain and fog.

What a day. 1.5 hrs trip with the tow truck to get the car home, take the car to the repair shop, go home to get the other car and that one wouldn't start because the battery cable got corroded. Another trip to the repair shop to get that car fixed - finally on the road 8 hours later.

1.5 hrs back to the airport - long day.

Lucky for us, the repair place felt sorry for us and rushed the repair on car 2.

Lucky for us, AirTran let us take the later flight (after not showing up for the original flight and not even calling them prior to now showing up) without charge.

..Who would've thought you could trash two tires and two wheels on a simple road to the airport? And then have car 2 not work on the same day?

Stuff happens.

I guess this post proves even going the day before doesn't guarantee anything, ;) but really, if it was a cruise, we would've towed the car to the motel parking lot and left if until we got home from the cruise.

An article in our local newspaper today says furloughs are starting for air traffic controllers and will go through September. To expect delays and cancelled flights.

Which cities and/or airlines did they attribute this to? Do you have a link to the article?

I'm all booked. Delta (my booking airline) is trying to assure me that they are unaware of any sort of possible or potential delays caused by air traffic controllers.

I just want to be prepared in case things go sideways. But, I'm hoping for a little more info before I make any changes.

Thanks!

Never mind the link. Found a video on one of the news channels.

Just cancelled my flight (Delta was trying to block me, until I pointed them to the story and explained I COULD NOT take the chance). They kept saying that they have one of the best on-ime records of any airline. I'm 2 MILLION MILER with them, so had to get to a supervisor and explain to them that I wasn't paying for a flight that had a good chance of being late (flying into LGA) 6 weeks before my flight is even scheduled to leave.

Looking at a (long) bus ride, or a train ride that gets me there in plenty of time.

Thanks for the heads up.

I am starting to freak out and my cruise is still 6ish months away! Any positive stories about flying from the US to Europe overnight and arriving the day of the cruise? We can't fly in the day before because of our wedding. EEK! :eek:

I am starting to freak out and my cruise is still 6ish months away! Any positive stories about flying from the US to Europe overnight and arriving the day of the cruise? We can't fly in the day before because of our wedding. EEK! :eek:

Relax things will fine. Things should be all fixed by then. Just make sure you have insurance.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Relax things will fine. Things should be all fixed by then. Just make sure you have insurance.

Yup we got insurance, that was a no brainer! :p I've just never flown in the day of for a cruise before, always the day before, but we couldn't swing it this time with the schedule. Plus we have a connecting flight in London. Thus, I am nervous! Trying to tell myself whatever happens, happens... but I have been known to go crazy about things that I ultimately shouldn't worry about too much :o

Our first cruise was booked by a TA, and we included air from Louisville, KY to Miami. We flew TWA (tells you how long ago THAT was!) through St. Louis. I don't remember if there were any delays or if it was just a late flight that RCI put us on. Anyway, there was no line to check in and no line to board. As we were boarding, I realized that I had told my mother the wrong day to pick us up. I wanted to get off and find a pay phone (LONG before cell phones) and call her with the correct date. The agent told me I couldn't get off because they would be pulling away the gang plank in about 5 minutes.

Buffet was already closed, we didn't know about room service, we had late dinner, and we hadn't eaten since about 10:00 that morning. We were absolutely STARVING by the time we had dinner!

I'm such a worrier :rolleyes: :p

My next cruise is the first one ever that I will be able to drive to, and I'm still debating whether or not to drive down the day before and get a hotel, or just leave my house at oh-dark-thirty to drive there the day of. I live a little over three hours away (w no traffic) but...

what if I get a flat tire :eek:

what if there's a major accident that closes the freeway :eek:

what if my alarm clock doesn't go off and I oversleep :eek:

what if I hit a deer :eek:

We live less than two hours from the port (Cape Liberty in Bayonne, NJ) but we've been known to go a day early because I-78 can be a mess, even on a weekend morning. One overturned semi (and they are frequent!) can shut the whole thing down for hours. Now we take a bus that's contracted by Royal Caribbean so at least we know if there's a problem, the driver will contact the bus company who will in turn contact the ship. Takes a HUGE load off my mind! Even though we ALWAYS get insurance, I'd rather have a vacation than a reimbursement!

Which cities and/or airlines did they attribute this to? Do you have a link to the article?

I'm all booked. Delta (my booking airline) is trying to assure me that they are unaware of any sort of possible or potential delays caused by air traffic controllers.

I just want to be prepared in case things go sideways. But, I'm hoping for a little more info before I make any changes.

Thanks!

Seems Congress got money passed and bailed out this mess (though there seems to have been some extra cash in a slush fund to pay for this), so should be no waiting now! :cool:

Yup we got insurance, that was a no brainer! :p I've just never flown in the day of for a cruise before, always the day before, but we couldn't swing it this time with the schedule. Plus we have a connecting flight in London. Thus, I am nervous! Trying to tell myself whatever happens, happens... but I have been known to go crazy about things that I ultimately shouldn't worry about too much :o

For European cruises we frequently take the red-eye and arrive the morning of the cruise. Have done this several times and will be doing so again in May and October. These are nonstops out of the west coast. We avoid flights that connect in the midwest or east coast if we can. So, not sure what you want to hear, but I think there are a lot of others that do the same thing without driving themselves nuts with worry.

i would never ever fly in the same day, but i am thinking about driving in the same day.....from orlando to ft lauderdale...

is that crazy of me?

should i drive in the night before?

according to mapquest, the drive should take 3.5 hours...(and i would guess that the roads aren't very busy on sunday)...

i would leave at 5 am so that we can stop along the way and also have some built in time in case if misadventures along the way...

but is it nuts of me to consider it when i would never ever ever ever ever ever fly in the same day (i won't even fly in the day before...the closest i've ever flown in for a cruise has been 3 days before :rolleyes: )

i would never ever fly in the same day, but i am thinking about driving in the same day.....from orlando to ft lauderdale...

is that crazy of me?

according to mapquest, the drive should take 3.5 hours...(and i would guess that the roads aren't very busy on sunday)...

i would leave at 5 am so that we can stop along the way and also have some built in time in case if misadventures along the way...

but is it nuts of me to consider it when i would never ever ever ever ever ever fly in the same day (i won't even fly in the day before...the closest i've ever flown in for a cruise has been 3 days before :rolleyes: )

You should be safe...unless there are unexpected snow storms! :D

is that crazy of me?

We did this a couple of years ago, and it was really easy. We met with our friends @ 7:00AM for breakfast, and drove down making one stop on our way to Ft. Lauderdale. My husband left us in the port and went to the airport to return our rental. We were having lunch on the Oasis before 1:00PM :):)

If you are flying from an airport with numerous flights to your destination, flying day-of is not as much of a risk, but throw in connecting flights and small airports and you may have trouble. If you have to fly same day - the next safest thing is to get a non-stop - early in day flight. But you all know this - it's common sense.

DH always wanted to travel a day early because he had to use one of his vacation days to decompress from work. He found that spending the night in the departure city helped him enjoy day 1 on the cruise ship all the more.

It's not always about missing the ship.

I have flown in day of in the past and was stressed a bit with connecting flights got hung up with an overzealous tsa guy almost missed flight boarded after they extended the ramp back out because they had already started closing the door and moving the ramp. Had lost luggage once but it ended up making it on the boat. However it was all part of the adventure would not go back and change a thing. Nowadays i like less stress and rush. I book my flights so i get there 2-3 days before the cruise i also board early that way i can take my time relax and enjoy. Difference in getting older i guess. But if you want adventure excitement and join long lines of others who do same day. Go for it and enjoy the adventure good or bad it will all work out in the end and be a memory.

You should be safe...unless there are unexpected snow storms! :D

you know one day pigs will actually fly and hell will freeze over, but i guess until then florida will be snow free in august!! :)

We did this a couple of years ago, and it was really easy. We met with our friends @ 7:00AM for breakfast, and drove down making one stop on our way to Ft. Lauderdale. My husband left us in the port and went to the airport to return our rental. We were having lunch on the Oasis before 1:00PM :):)

it will be the allure in our case, but sounds good to me...although i think i'll drag everyone with me to the airport and we'll all head over to the port...or maybe not...i have to look at the map and see if i'll get lost by myself :)

or maybe i'll take hubbie along for the ride and live the kids at the port (kids being 28 year old DD and her 25 year old husband :) )

We always fly in a day ahead, partly because we want to best avoid travel problems (delays, cancellations etc) but also because we treat the night before as part of our vacation...we like to go out the night before in our port city. Same day I think would feel a bit rushed I guess.

On our Euro cruises we have always flown in 2 nights prior so we could take in the sights in cities we weren't sure if we would ever return to (Barcelona, London, Istanbul) and to lessen the chance of potential travel problems. This summer we are only spending one night pre and post cruise in London as we've been there before...we definitely would not consider flying in same day on an Intl flight.

We had a cruise out of San Diego a 2.5 hr drive from our home and went in the night before. I didn't want to deal with traffic delays the day of the cruise. By going in early in gave us some breathing room should we encounter delays or have a car problem ourselves. I also was chairman for the pre cruise dinner so that made it mandatory we be in early.:) Our trip next year is from Sydney Australia so we need to allow for travel time, 17 hours and wished to be there 2 days pre cruise so leaving on March 15th for a 17 arrival.

For the first time ever, I'm doing it. Flying out of Charlotte Friday night and getting to Rome 9:30 Saturday morning. We depart at 7:00 that evening. I have to admit I am a little nervous, but it is a direct flight.

Wish me luck!:o

Archived