shuttle service in british isles

zship

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Edinburgh has a number of different docking/tendering locations. You can google the port if you want to find out where you will be. If you're scheduled to tender (anchor) in South Queensferry, this is info I found: Somebody mentioned in another section, referring to a Princess cruise, that last year there was a shuttle bus available (modest charge) that ran to the area of Charlotte Square (not far from the castle, plus Princes St.). Someone else, this time in an Oceania post, mentioned the same thing, so it sounds like there will be a shuttle, though not free, from So. Q to Edinburgh.

I've read that a shuttle was provided last year in Dublin for O. pax, although I don't know which ship it was. There is only one port in Dublin, though, so I would guess that there WILL be a shuttle into the town. I've read that it goes to Trinity College.

I don't know about Belfast, and so far all I have in my notes is this: "If no shuttle, might be able to take 26 bus by “Metro” which gets to Donegall Sq. in 22 mins. every hour around 1:10, 2:10, etc. Not sure where stop is, though. Port is about 2 miles NE of center city." In the Norway ports, I would guess none is provided, as the cities are small. I don't know much about Lerwick and Invergordon, but they're relatively small, so I imagine a shuttle isn't needed for just exploring those cities. Cork is an interesting place, as the port of Cobh can assign a ship to Ringaskiddy or Cobh. They are not exactly right close to each other, and neither is right near Cork, either. I have been so far unable to determine if a shuttle is provided from each location. (We go to Ringaskiddy. Cobh is preferable.)

I forgot Portland. Weymouth is close to Portland, and I believe a shuttle will be provided there. If not, there is a hop on hop off bus that runs only in the summer, mostly for tourists. It stops close to the port in Portland and will get you around Weymouth and Portland. It's bus 501.

Need more info on independent travel? Just email me on howardruthalliejoey@gmail.com. I have tons of info I've compiled on our upcoming "Isles and Fjords" trip.

I forgot Portland. Weymouth is close to Portland, and I believe a shuttle will be provided there. .

The port runs a shuttle to Weymouth

do not wait until the last minute to return to the ship though the line up was VERY long

As far as I'm aware Visit Belfast provides a free shuttle service from the port to the City Hall. There is a visitor centre directly across the road in Donegal Place. I think the shuttle runs every 10 mins at peak times and every 20-30 mins throughout the day.

Anyone looking for a private transfer from Heathrow to Southampton on June 20,2013? We arrive around 6:30 AM on June 20, 2013 and then will proceed to Southampton.

Will also have room from Tilbury to London on July 4th.

Anyone looking for a private transfer from Heathrow to Southampton on June 20,2013? We arrive around 6:30 AM on June 20, 2013 and then will proceed to Southampton.

Will also have room from Tilbury to London on July 4th.

You should be posting in your ROLL CALL

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1727038

• 2 months later...

In case this is helpful to someone in future:

For our cruise July 29 on Marina, here was shuttle availability:

Edinburgh - no shuttle in evidence

Invergordon, Lerwick, Geiranger, Alesund - docked in, or tendered to, the town; no shuttle needed

Belfast - shuttle to Belfast Welcome Center Donegall Place

Dublin - shuttle to Kildare St. near Trinity College

Cork - docked in Ringaskiddy rather than Cobh; no shuttle. I took the $39 roundtrip "on your own in Cork" shore excursion. Had a guide for the 30 min. trip to Cork who was great; she also pointed out sights in Cork. Then we were dropped in the middle of Cork (St. Patrick's Bridge, quayside) for about 3 hours to explore on our own. If you wanted, you could take a quick train ride to Cobh, but I stayed in Cork - very enjoyable.)

Portland - shuttle to Weymouth Brewer's Quay/Hope Square area. Tourist info passed out at Weymouth TI center said it cost 10 pounds but it was free for us. From there we could walk to where "cross river ferry" rowboats took you across the water (1 euro) to the beach/Sea Life Tower area or walk farther and cross the Town Bridge to get to the beach/esplanade. You could also get a shuttle in the port that went to Portland Castle, where you could catch the 501 bus that went every 2 hours between Portland Bill lighthouse on the tip of Portland to Weymouth King George Statue toward the top of the esplanade. You could NOT walk inside the port - high security due to naval ships there.

The vast majority of shuttles that are available anywhere, are not provided by Oceania but by the port or city or whatever. Oceania has nothing much to do with them or their services or timing. Just FYI as the OP gave the impression he/she thinks O provides them.

The vast majority of shuttles that are available anywhere, are not provided by Oceania but by the port or city or whatever. Oceania has nothing much to do with them or their services or timing. Just FYI as the OP gave the impression he/she thinks O provides them.

Yes, I agree. Most shuttles are offered by the port or city or ocasionally an enterprising bus company. That is precisely why Oceania does not publish shuttle information in advance. Shuttles are usually not within O's control, and they can change from day to day or month to month. Several posters told me there was a shuttle in South Queensferry, including one cruiser who was there in June - but there wasn't a shuttle in sight when we were there the end of July!

For the infamous Ringaskiddy (part of the port of Cork) my husband WAS told by Oceania ship personnel that they tried to arrange a shuttle in Ringaskiddy, but the boat operator backed out rather short notice. Then they asked about tendering people to Cobh, which is not far by water, but 40 mins. by car, but the port nixed that. Then they added the $39 "own your own" excursion to Cork - but still got blasted by lots of people onboard for not having a shuttle. My feeling is that if you can afford to take an Oceania cruise, you can probably afford a cab ride to Cork or Cobh, or figure out how to go by bus as I did pre-trip. I just don't think it is reasonable to expect to be able to walk off a ship in every single port and be able to get a free ride to wherever you want to go. I think you're probably better off in that case just signing up for the expensive shore excursions or taking a bus land trip where every detail is arranged for you.

Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox now!

Yes, I agree. Most shuttles are offered by the port or city or ocasionally an enterprising bus company. That is precisely why Oceania does not publish shuttle information in advance. Shuttles are usually not within O's control, and they can change from day to day or month to month. Several posters told me there was a shuttle in South Queensferry, including one cruiser who was there in June - but there wasn't a shuttle in sight when we were there the end of July!

Sorry to disagree with you Ruth, but we were on the cruise with you, and there was a shuttle from South Quennsferry. We took it from the dock to Charlotte Square and back to the dock. The price was 10 Pounds per person, return. The driver said that they usually have the shuttle running if there is a ship in.

Does anyone know if oceania provides shuttle service between ship and town at the various british isle cruise ports eg edinburgh, dublin etc. Thanks.

In June 2013 in Southampton and Dublin the port authorities (not Oceania) provided shuttles at roughly half-hourly intervals. In Southampton the shuttle dropped passengers off at the nearby train station, and in Dublin the drop off point was on Kildare Street between Trinity College and St. Stephen's Green.

As an update to Roothy's post, on Nautica last week there was a FREE shuttle from Ringaskiddy into Cork, provided by the port. They also offered a Cork on your own tour as $39 and offered refunds to those booked on the tour who wanted to switch to the shuttle.

As an update to Roothy's post, on Nautica last week there was a FREE shuttle from Ringaskiddy into Cork, provided by the port. They also offered a Cork on your own tour as $39 and offered refunds to those booked on the tour who wanted to switch to the shuttle.

Sharon,

What did you think about your first O cruise?

Will you write a review?

Paul

Archived