Recommendations for backpack

cheermom6488

First trip on Volendam to Alaska, very excited! I already have my list of clothes but was looking for recommendations for a backpack/daypack to use for my extra layers, water, etc during excursions. Can anyone recommend one

There is no way that anyone can recommend a daypack for anyone else. If someone says that a particular daypack is wonderful, don't rush out and buy it. If they say that it is awful, don't eliminate it.

You need to decide what you want to carry, how much you want to spend, and then go to an outdoor store and decide what works for me. A daypack that fits me sizewise or function wise may be completely wrong for you. Sometimes a spend a few hours at REI before I decide an a piece of outdoor gear and even then I sometimes return it.

As an example, both my wife and I have decent non-inexpensive daypacks. I would never in a million years ever buy the one that she uses. It is all wrong for me.

DON

There is no way that anyone can recommend a daypack for anyone else. If someone says that a particular daypack is wonderful, don't rush out and buy it. If they say that it is awful, don't eliminate it.

You need to decide what you want to carry, how much you want to spend, and then go to an outdoor store and decide what works for me. A daypack that fits me sizewise or function wise may be completely wrong for you. Sometimes a spend a few hours at REI before I decide an a piece of outdoor gear and even then I sometimes return it.

As an example, both my wife and I have decent non-inexpensive daypacks. I would never in a million years ever buy the one that she uses. It is all wrong for me.

DON

Quite right. I'd never be able to use DHs backpack (too many pockets and straps. While mine (perfect for me) is a Winnie-the-Pooh one that works great.

A crummy old day pack that I probably picked up at Costco 10-12 yrs ago for $15. What I like about it ...

1) it's comfortable to wear on my back, or sling over my shoulder

2) mesh pocket on each side (water bottle on 1 side, poncho on the other)

3) it has separate compartments. I bury my wallet on the bottom of the big compartment followed by clothing, camera, binoculars. The smaller compartment is for snacks, guide book/map,tickets.

I've had it for yrs and it goes everywhere ... Alaska, Med cruise, Vancouver Island, Europe, or a day trip for local whale watching.

I generally agree with what the others have said above, but for some reason my husband and I agree on LL Bean's Stowaway Day Pack. It adjusts to fit both of us perfectly and there is a 6 inch difference in our heights (I won't mention weight:) It packs flat for travel, but expands to fit more than you think without being too bulky. We bought it on a whim a few years ago and it has been all over the country with us.

I generally agree with what the others have said above, but for some reason my husband and I agree on LL Bean's Stowaway Day Pack. It adjusts to fit both of us perfectly and there is a 6 inch difference in our heights (I won't mention weight:) It packs flat for travel, but expands to fit more than you think without being too bulky. We bought it on a whim a few years ago and it has been all over the country with us.

Good to hear! I bought the same backpacks for my family for this trip--I wanted something very lightweight, something we could fold up easily, very simple. I don't love the exterior pocket--probably won't use it, but I love the fact that it's light and simple and easy to stow away.

I bought one at Eddie Bauer that folds up into itself. I just waterproof spray it before we go. It folds up really small for traveling. So you could put it in your jacket pocket or clip it to your belt until you start shedding your layers.

There are many choices to consider. If you want something that will last a long time, check out Maxpedition (online). I have the Moonsoon Gearslinger and it works very well for day trips. Take a look at the YouTube review by Sootch before you buy. Oldnslow1 (former scoutmaster)

I recently bought an NOrthface Borealis Backpack from REI. However as pp have stated, what works for one person may not work for another.

What I did was go to REI. I figured that I'll be packing extra raincoats and a few other pieces of clothing. So I took various backpacks and went to the clothing departments and stuffed them with rain jackets to see how much room was left.

DH uses a simple backpack, but it's not enough for me since I usually carry stuff for my girls. I wanted one with multiple pockets so I can more easily find things. A definite need was side water bottle pockets and a front mesh or bungee area where I could stuff one last sweater in front.

Waterproof spray is not enough protection for Alaska rain!

I always carry a variety of brand new Zip-Loc bags to use to protect my camera gear, wallet, iPhone etc and a bin liner (trash sack) that can hold my day pack and everything in it. Cheap insurance!

The Zip-Loc bags I use for cameras and other expensive items I use only once if in a truly wet situation and use them for less valuable stuff later on in the trip. I can't risk any moisture at all touching my expensive stuff.

My husband gave away !!!!! my favorite day pack and I've been seeking perfection since. Still trying!

I was just looking at the website and wonder if you have the older version. The newer version I just bought has that useless front pocket (without a zipper--really afraid stuff will just fall out of it).

I bought this mainly because it is so light (14 oz but holds more than 1000 cubin inches of stuff). I'll know better after our trip how well it performs. Just looking for something light that can hold our rain gear, energy bars, etc. when hiking, and for Alaska, will double as a carry-on.

I was just looking at the website and wonder if you have the older version. The newer version I just bought has that useless front pocket (without a zipper--really afraid stuff will just fall out of it).

I bought this mainly because it is so light (14 oz but holds more than 1000 cubin inches of stuff). I'll know better after our trip how well it performs. Just looking for something light that can hold our rain gear, energy bars, etc. when hiking, and for Alaska, will double as a carry-on.

Mine's almost three years old, but has that same front pocket. At first I thought it would be useless, but it's really great! When the pack is full I can fit two more fleece jackets in that front pocket. You shove it full, buckle it and pull the straps tight- presto everything stays in. I've also had extra water bottles stay in that pocket with no problem.

When we went to Disney World I was able to fit four fleece jackets, four water bottles, my wallet, camera, snacks, and two autograph books all into that light-weight backpack. Not bad for a small back pack!

Waterproof spray is not enough protection for Alaska rain!

I always carry a variety of brand new Zip-Loc bags to use to protect my camera gear, wallet, iPhone etc and a bin liner (trash sack) that can hold my day pack and everything in it. Cheap insurance!

The Zip-Loc bags I use for cameras and other expensive items I use only once if in a truly wet situation and use them for less valuable stuff later on in the trip. I can't risk any moisture at all touching my expensive stuff.

My husband gave away !!!!! my favorite day pack and I've been seeking perfection since. Still trying!

Thanks for the heads up. :)

Mine's almost three years old, but has that same front pocket. At first I thought it would be useless, but it's really great! When the pack is full I can fit two more fleece jackets in that front pocket. You shove it full, buckle it and pull the straps tight- presto everything stays in. I've also had extra water bottles stay in that pocket with no problem.

When we went to Disney World I was able to fit four fleece jackets, four water bottles, my wallet, camera, snacks, and two autograph books all into that light-weight backpack. Not bad for a small back pack!

Thanks! You've made me feel very good about buying them!:)

Thanks! You've made me feel very good about buying them!:)

I am assuming that you bought the same pack for the entire family. You missed the point that many of us have said. The packs you bought may be very good packs but it also may be that only you will like them and the rest of the family will hate them.

As I have said in a previous post, both my wife and I have packs that are so different that you would not believe it. Also, people are different sizes and need a pack that fits their body size and body shape.

You better have the rest of the family stuff them with what they plan to carry and try walking with them while you can (hopefully) still return them.

DON

I am assuming that you bought the same pack for the entire family. You missed the point that many of us have said. The packs you bought may be very good packs but it also may be that only you will like them and the rest of the family will hate them.

As I have said in a previous post, both my wife and I have packs that are so different that you would not believe it. Also, people are different sizes and need a pack that fits their body size and body shape.

You better have the rest of the family stuff them with what they plan to carry and try walking with them while you can (hopefully) still return them.

DON

Wow, you should read what you write BEFORE you post.

Wow, you should read what you write BEFORE you post.

This is what another person on this thread said -

"I recently bought an NOrthface Borealis Backpack from REI. However as pp have stated, what works for one person may not work for another.

What I did was go to REI. I figured that I'll be packing extra raincoats and a few other pieces of clothing. So I took various backpacks and went to the clothing departments and stuffed them with rain jackets to see how much room was left. "

He did exactly what I suggested and what you did not do. I repeat my statement but perhaps a bit less harshly - given a family of 4, there are 4 different "best" packs. There are some higher end packs that are sized to fit a specific body size.

Note this site - http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/backpacks-torso-hip-size.html

and also this site - http://www.zpacks.com/backpacks/arc_blast.shtml

and also this site - http://www.whitemountain.com.au/fitting_backpacks/torso_length_faq.html

BTW - I read did read my response before I posed.

DON

Archived