Just an anti carnival observance

On Oasis the captain (during captains corner) just joked about speaking with the Norwegian captain and joking on their expected arrival into Nassau. The reported conversation was something like like this...

Oasis: aren't you supposed to be docked in Nassau today?

NCL: yes, we are docked right next to you.

Oasis: really? I don't see you? (Walks over to that side of the ship and looks down). Oh, yes... There you are... Down there.....

Now to me.... That's funny... Truthful... And no harm done.

On Oasis the captain (during captains corner) just joked about speaking with the Norwegian captain and joking on their expected arrival into Nassau. The reported conversation was something like like this...

Oasis: aren't you supposed to be docked in Nassau today?

NCL: yes, we are docked right next to you.

Oasis: really? I don't see you? (Walks over to that side of the ship and looks down). Oh, yes... There you are... Down there.....

Now to me.... That's funny... Truthful... And no harm done.

Yes it is.... really comical because it isn't making light of any passenger-affecting incidents. ;)

I've heard RCL cruise directors, comedians, etc. make fun of Carnival all the time. They'll use Carnival ship names like "The Frustration" and the "The Imitation", among others. It comes with the territory, and it goes on with other industries, groups, etc.

Now, unless something has changed, entertainers will work on different cruise lines. We had a lady singer on the Monarch back in 1995 thank Holland America for the opportunity and wonderful accomodations! :eek:

When we were on the Freedom last year, the Captain made reference to the Carnival "Elation" that was in port with us as the "Exasperation," which I thought was hilarious :D The Inspiration was the Constipation and the Splendour was the Squalor... LOL! It was all in good fun!

This has been our observation as well. They all joke about each other.

The piano entertainer on the Carnival Breeze on my recent New Years cruise made fun of RC a few times. I really don't see why anybody gets worked up about this.

I have no Problem with jokes about competitors and you can bet if it had happened to Royal the other lines had made jokes about it as well.

I also see no Problem if it´s ofiicers doing the jokes.

While I have no idea if it results in enhanced safety I can see RCI spending more per square foot on ship building than Carnival.

RCI builds the various ship classes from scrap, while Carnival has one ship design an keeps re-using it again and again and again, not only for their Carnival brand, but also for orther lines under their Roof with only minor adjustments. This practice of course can result in in design glitches being done over and over again (including safety Features).

Actually, there are a few ship designs for CCL. The Fantasy Class style ship, The Spirit Class style ship and The Destiny Class style ship. It's funny that they keep expanding on the Destiny design and then realized that it is so bad that they are going to completely gut it, redesign it and rename it.

We have become such a "sensitive" society..Just glad Don Rickles is not your onboard entertainment!

I have heard other "mgt" on other lines make jokes.....Lighten up!!!!

My thoughts exactly. So the heck what. They're jokes...and Carnival has done plenty lately to make themselves the brunt of jokes.

I remember a comedian on the Norwegian Sky making jokes about the Oasis, who we were next to in Nassau that day. I thought it was hilarious. It's not like he was wishing anything bad upon them. Again, just jokes.

Again, jabs made by entertainers, no big deal.

Jabs made by officers, inappropriate.

Wonder how the Celebrity folks would feel if officers (or comedians, for that matter) used the two recent failed inspections as grist for their mills.

Agree, rather unprofessional IMO.

I also am uncomfortable when while on a cruise, I hear cruise ship officers bashing another cruise line. I don't care what the late night comedians say, but officers should show some class.

When we sailed the Oasis two years ago, we pulled into Costa Maya around 0630am. When we went out on our balcony early (sun just barely up), we looked to our left and there was a Carnival ship. What I noticed that was so odd, there were hundreds of flashes going off? I was thinking, WTH? It was the passengers on the Carnival ship taking pictures of the Oasis. :p

That night in the comedy club, the comedian commented that one of the excursions on the Carnival ship next to us was a tour of the Oasis that we were on and those folks were pretty excited. LOL Everyone got a good chuckle out of it.:D

Yes, and I have seen Captains join in cake decorating contests against the Hotel Director and other similar events to entertain the passengers. Not exactly what I would expect a Capt to be doing but a large part of their job is PR. Making jokes about a situation after a crisis has passed....it can be entertaining.

When we sailed the Oasis two years ago, we pulled into Costa Maya around 0630am. When we went out on our balcony early (sun just barely up), we looked to our left and there was a Carnival ship. What I noticed that was so odd, there were hundreds of flashes going off? I was thinking, WTH? It was the passengers on the Carnival ship taking pictures of the Oasis. :p

Noticed the same thing in St. Maarten on my first Oasis sailing when we were next to the Carnival Dream. Hundreds of flashes at sailaway (we left first), particularly when we turned such that the Boardwalk / aft area were facing their ship. It was kind of funny lol.

I take pictures of every ship I see in port becuase I'm a cruise nerd, but I'd never seen so many flashes at the same time!

Wonder how the Celebrity folks would feel if officers (or comedians, for that matter) used the two recent failed inspections as grist for their mills.

As a fellow "Celebrity folk," if offended, I would tell them to put on a shirt because their skin is obviously way too thin.

Yes, and I have seen Captains join in cake decorating contests against the Hotel Director and other similar events to entertain the passengers. Not exactly what I would expect a Capt to be doing but a large part of their job is PR. Making jokes about a situation after a crisis has passed....it can be entertaining.

Following the Costa Concordia disaster, the Captain was asked if RCL captains had the discretion to sail close to rocks. He replied that "yes, they were authorised to sail close to rocks, but not to hit them."

And on my one Disney cruise they made fun of Royal Caribbean. Either way I think it's tacky. I think the best thing is to always (at least publicly) act like your competitors don't exist. IMHO.

Carnival has been the existence of TV comedians for weeks now who otherwise couldn't name a cruise line. But as for Disney, I was amused in Costa Maya when the Jewel captain said he told the Disney Magic Captain to grow a pair when Disney wanted to take our parking spot there. (I think it was Magic, perhaps wonder)

Archived