Just an anti carnival observance

We were just on the Mariner , and several times the comedians joked about the Carnival woes. I thought it was interesting, as we have never seen that..

Carnival has been a pretty common theme of the comedy shows on most of our cruises :p

I was just off Jewel of the Seas and in 5 days heard Carnival jokes from the cruise director, comedian, and even the juggler.

On Freedom of the Seas back in October before Carnival's recent string of issues, the cruise director, the captain, and comedian all made jokes about Carnival. The cruise director also went on for several minutes about how RCI values live entertainment and music instead of just having piped in music or DJs.

Even at the Captain's Corner on Oasis the Captain made jokes about Carnival. :rolleyes:

I am not a Carnival cheerleader (despite all my Carnival cruises) and think that they should be fair game for comedians because, well, they have been in the news a lot and that's what comedians do. But it does seem rather unprofessional for an RCI captain to engage in that in front of guests. Of course, I wasn't there and didn't hear what the captain said, maybe it was relatively low key and harmless. :confused: I hope so.

And on my one Disney cruise they made fun of Royal Caribbean. Either way I think it's tacky. I think the best thing is to always (at least publicly) act like your competitors don't exist. IMHO.

...and no one laughed, right? Let's not be so sensitive. The late night shows have been making a living off of Carnival. These are comedians that aren't cruise ship employees. To them anything is fair game.

And on my one Disney cruise they made fun of Royal Caribbean. Either way I think it's tacky. I think the best thing is to always (at least publicly) act like your competitors don't exist. IMHO.

To a comedian the competition is another comedian not a cruise line. Any company that gets itself into the news is fair game.

...and no one laughed, right? Let's not be so sensitive. The late night shows have been making a living off of Carnival. These are comedians that aren't cruise ship employees. To them anything is fair game.

If the comedians on the ship want to make fun of the other cruiselines that's one thing. But the captain, cruise director, etc, well that's another thing. Again, just my opinion. :rolleyes:

If the comedians on the ship want to make fun of the other cruiselines that's one thing. But the captain, cruise director, etc, well that's another thing. Again, just my opinion. :rolleyes:

Agree, rather unprofessional IMO.

After the Carnival Splendour fire, somebody asked the Captain during the Captains's corner why it happened, and his response was, "because Carnival built her." Once the laughter subsided, he went to explain that RCI spend considerably more per square foot to build their ships and that safety is enhanced as a result. It was actually quite interesting. I'm not sure I believe it, though.

Was on Navigator a few weeks ago and at the Captain's Corner the Captain was asked several pointed questions about Carnival's misfortunes. He didn't bite........no negative references, speculation or digs at Carnival. Very professional approach.

Must depend on the Captain.

I try to be balance on these things. We need to keep our sense of humor and in thinking about it, jokes are for the most part based on something negative about something/someone.

Agree personally, about comedians vs ship's officers though. It could happen to Royal. (Hope not!)

I have no Problem with jokes about competitors and you can bet if it had happened to Royal the other lines had made jokes about it as well.

I also see no Problem if it´s ofiicers doing the jokes.

After the Carnival Splendour fire, somebody asked the Captain during the Captains's corner why it happened, and his response was, "because Carnival built her." Once the laughter subsided, he went to explain that RCI spend considerably more per square foot to build their ships and that safety is enhanced as a result. It was actually quite interesting. I'm not sure I believe it, though.

While I have no idea if it results in enhanced safety I can see RCI spending more per square foot on ship building than Carnival.

RCI builds the various ship classes from scrap, while Carnival has one ship design an keeps re-using it again and again and again, not only for their Carnival brand, but also for orther lines under their Roof with only minor adjustments. This practice of course can result in in design glitches being done over and over again (including safety Features).

Carnival has a comedy club with 4 shows nightly by two different comedians. On 7 night cruises they will offer 16 shows and depending on the comedians, they may be all different shows. The comedians on Carnival make jokes about Carnival. So, they should be fair game on other lines.

When I was on Independence in February (before the Triumph and subsequent Carnival incidents), the cruise director did make a few comments about things not being appropriate to say because "this isn't a Carnival cruise".

I agree.

We were on a Carnival Cruise :eek: two weeks ago and the Cruise Director only mentioned that something he was talking about wouldn't be seen on another cruiseline. He never mentioned which cruiseline he was talking about; Norwegian, Royal Caribbean, etc. which I thought was in good taste since we all formed out own opinions on which line he was talking about.

[quote name=UCF_Knight;38064018

On Freedom of the Seas back in October before Carnival's recent string of issues' date=' the cruise director, the captain, and comedian all made jokes about Carnival. The cruise director also went on for several minutes about how RCI values live entertainment and music instead of just having piped in music or DJs.[/quote]

On the Jewel of the seas cruise I heard the cruise director say this exact same thing when talking about the live band.

Thought it was pretty funny but pretty spot on. While she didn't say Carnival, she said other cruise lines.

Those there that never cruised Carnival before since the changes of less live music wouldn't get the pun quite as much.

My last two Carnival cruises the DJ music was quite annoying. Was very refreshing to have the live music on RC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Please excuse any typographical errors.

Archived