Children's beds on RCI

Hello!

We just returned from our most recent cruise(our first on RCI) and although I liked the ship(Jewel of the Seas), I was rather disappointed in our OV room. It was poorly laid out and didn't have as much storage as our last cruise in a similar room on Carnival. The bathroom was super tight and I couldn't hardly wash my hair in the shower.

But I could live with all of that to cruise with RCI again. What I absolutely HATED and can NOT live with is having my children's beds bunked OVER our bed! It was awful. It was awkward getting in/out of bed and I cannot even tell you how often I almost hit my head. And my daughter dropped a pillow on my husband's head every night, scaring the crud out of him.

Please tell me that all RCI ships are not like that--after paying more, I was so disappointed at what we lost out on, when it seemed that we should've been given a better experience. I much prefer they bunks on the side wall, like Carnival does, but I do not want us to be limited to one cruise line because of it.

I appreciate your input! :)

We have always chosen a cabin with a sofabed instead of pullmans because I did not want my son over us at night. He does not sleep still and I was always afraid he would fall out onto us and hurt himself and us.

He never complains about the sofabed though some other people find them less than comfortable. Just check out the deckplans and it will show you what type of beds are in each cabin.

We have always chosen a cabin with a sofabed instead of pullmans because I did not want my son over us at night. He does not sleep still and I was always afraid he would fall out onto us and hurt himself and us.

He never complains about the sofabed though some other people find them less than comfortable. Just check out the deckplans and it will show you what type of beds are in each cabin.

I did not realize that our couch was a sofa bed! But I still wouldn't prefer that for the kids-soda beds are okay for a night or two. Plus they would be killing each other-they hate sharing a bed.

But thanks for the info! :)

I did not realize that our couch was a sofa bed! But I still wouldn't prefer that for the kids-soda beds are okay for a night or two. Plus they would be killing each other-they hate sharing a bed.

But thanks for the info! :)

Not all of the sofas are sofabeds, there is a legend on the side of the deckplans that will tell you what cabin has what. I know a triangle is a sofabed. Some ships have cabins with a sofabed and a pullman, you just have to hunt them out! Good luck.:)

We always have our son, now 15, in the bunk over our bed and it's never bothered us, although it's the only way we have cruised. I'm short so it's not a problem, but I don't remember dh bumping his head.

When we have 4 in a cabin, we usually get a D1 on RCCL. There is a single sofabed with a pullman on top of it. On our HAL cruise, we had a quad with a sofabed and a pullman, but the pullman was over both of the beds. I couldn't sit up in my bed. :( My kids have never complained about the sofa bed.

disney layout was nicer for the room... bunk bed style.

with that said, allure/oasis they are sofa beds in balconies.

Not all balconies on Oasis/Allure have sofa beds (assuming you know that but just want to make sure others are aware). Also, if there is a sofa bed in the balcony cabin, some also have pullmans. I have one booked for my upcoming cruise. You just need to do a little digging to find them. I will take a picture and post after we return. Have yet to see one posted here on CC.

To the OP, the configurations of the cabins change ship to ship and category to category. Some have the pullmans over the beds while others do not. This is where a good TA is needed to make sure you book the right type of cabin. Or, as others have said, look at connecting cabins.

We get connecting cabins for our family of 6 which is great because you also get an extra bathroom out of it. Honestly, it doesn't cost much more during the Spring Break times and the summer months. Pullmans are a lot more comfortable that sofabeds, our children would never tolerate them. I just booked on the Allure and got one of the few connecting cabins in which one of the rooms had 2 pullmans and still connected to ours. To get these cabins I had to settle for an interior and promenade cabin. :mad:

I do agree with you that Carnival's bed setup is a lot more comfortable. This is the only thing that I wish RCCL would copy from Carnival. The sofabed situation is terrible!!

Have you considered booking two connecting cabins? The price difference is often very little (we have spent as little as $60 TOTAL to go from one cabin of four to two cabins of two for a 7 night cruise).

I agree. Get two connecting cabins. These have an inside door so you can go from one cabin to the other without going into the hall. Twice the space (including 2 bathrooms) -- definitely not twice the price. If only one child, a sofabed is an option. But you said "children".

On my four previous cruises, the Pullman beds were always over the main bed. (My recent cruise was in a 2-person room.)

These cruises were on four different lines -- Carnival, HAL, Celebrity, Princess -- so it's not like this is a situation that is specific to Royal.

We have a JS on NOS and we are traveling with our two granddaughters 11 & 13. They have a sofa sleeper to sleep on. If they had pullmans we would have done that. There was not one. I think the only option to not have a pullman or sofa sleeper is to have two rooms. I don't know of any rooms with four beds.....I could be totally wrong.

I'm confused. You don't want pullman and you don't want sofa bed? I'm not sure what you want?

FYI I would also look into connecting rooms if nothing else, another bathroom.

I don't think she minds the pullmans, she doesn't like where it is placed (over the beds).

Carnival offers pullmans over the sofa and the sofa also is like a regular bed (you don't have to open it). On Carnival it is very easy to get a cabin and not have the pullman over the bed and not have to use a sofabed with 4 people and each child would have their own bed and not be over their parents. This is almost impossible to get with RCCL.

I don't think she minds the pullmans, she doesn't like where it is placed (over the beds).

Carnival offers pullmans over the sofa and the sofa also is like a regular bed (you don't have to open it). On Carnival it is very easy to get a cabin and not have the pullman over the bed and not have to use a sofabed with 4 people and each child would have their own bed and not be over their parents. This is almost impossible to get with RCCL.

Or any other cruise line...

Archived