Millennium issues, are there any??

mollanjake

I am in the early stages of planning a 2014 Alaska Cruise....

My DH and I went on 4 cruises and loved them! At the time of our cruises,Celebrity was our favorite line. Due to a move to the Midwest and the birth of our DD we didn't cruise for a number of years. Finally this past March we cruised again! I still have the cruise bug and so does my DD. For our spring break cruise we chose RCI because of its kid friendly features. Now because I am looking at Alaska I am more concerned with itinerary then cruise line....

I have read a few threads here and there about Millennium issues but can't seem to find the details. Also wondering in her periodic propulsion/electrical issues should be a factor in my decision??

Has Anyone been on her lately or can elaborate on her mechanical issues.

Does anyone think her Asian sailings change the service level? What I mean....different markets have different desires levels of importance which can make it difficult on the crew...

Thanks for any insight you have!!

i spent 28 days on the Millenium in Asia this year. The recent propulsion issue was apparently due to a fishing net being caught by the azipod in Vietnam...nothing at all to do with the mechanicals of the ship. I did an extensive review of my cruises including comments on cruise ports on a thread here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1772350&highlight=asia

Hopefully it's balanced....

Food/service is subjective and varies by chef/cruise/staff...we've seen this on every ship.

I would have no qualms at all on travelling on the Millennium again...we are booking on it's sister ship, the infinity for our next cruise.

The only issue with the Millennium is that i'm not on it.....

We did the wine cruise last Sept which immediately followed her Alaska season. I loved her. Of all the ships i've been on she is my current favourite. She's in great shape, just the right size - sp much space, never felt crowded and really friendly staff. I have booked her sister the Constellation for Oct.

Mike

We sailed the Millie in Alaska 5 years ago - not current experience but it was truly outstanding. Thoroughly enjoyed everything about the experience. We did the southbound from Seward to Vancouver.

Highly recommend that you try and spend a few days on land prior to/after your cruise. Alaska is a beautiful place.

We're sailing on the May 24 Alaska Inside Passage cruise out of Vancouver. Will report back with a review and will be very glad to answer questions when we return, which is June 3....not sure you can wait that long but that's the best I've got! :)

MollanJake, we were on Indy with you on the March 16th sailing, and part of the Meet and Mingle group.

We are also on the May 24th sailing (this year) of Millenium, and would love to give you a "review" once we get back on June 3rd.

Like you, we're discouraged with the amount of reviews or info on Millenium. The Celebrity folks aren't quite as "chatty" as those on the Royal Caribbean board! I did see the thread on the propulsion issues, and was also concerned, but I think they're resolved now.

We were originally booked on Island Princess, however, we got a great deal through an online travel group that offered reduced deposits, prepaid gratuities, and on board credit, so we jumped ship (so to speak), and came over to Celebrity. Always wanted to try Celebrity, so this will be our big chance.

We're in Aqua Class, so our dining room will be in Blu, and we get access to Persian Gardens.

In the meantime, check out the Alaska Board for info on the different ports. I've found this to be very helpful.

Dru

MollanJake, we were on Indy with you on the March 16th sailing, and part of the Meet and Mingle group.

We are also on the May 24th sailing (this year) of Millenium, and would love to give you a "review" once we get back on June 3rd.

Like you, we're discouraged with the amount of reviews or info on Millenium. The Celebrity folks aren't quite as "chatty" as those on the Royal Caribbean board! I did see the thread on the propulsion issues, and was also concerned, but I think they're resolved now.

We were originally booked on Island Princess, however, we got a great deal through an online travel group that offered reduced deposits, prepaid gratuities, and on board credit, so we jumped ship (so to speak), and came over to Celebrity. Always wanted to try Celebrity, so this will be our big chance.

We're in Aqua Class, so our dining room will be in Blu, and we get access to Persian Gardens.

In the meantime, check out the Alaska Board for info on the different ports. I've found this to be very helpful.

Dru

So jealousy that you are going to Alaska soon! I have been studying CC pretty much since we got home.

DH and I loved Celebrity more than 10 yrs ago when we cruised on a more regular basis. We felt it was a bit more upscale, but the average passenger was older.

Following the CC advice I am trying to pick the cruise by itinerary. I want Southbound, extra and as I have to balance what DH and I want with traveling with 9yo DD. I have narrowed my choice to Coral/island itinerary and Millennium/Radiance itinerary... the choices.

Can't wait to read your review!

We'll be on the Millie in June. I'll probably review when we get back on July 7th. We are doing the Southbound journey with a DIY land tour for a week prior. Not sure if you noticed (or it they are keeping it this way for 2014), but the Millie (and Radiance) departs on a Friday. I can't remember if Coral/Island are the same. That threw me for a small loop when I started planning 2 years ago.

• 2 months later...

The Celebrity Millennium (I was on this ship several weeks ago) is in poor shape, lots of rust, mold, peeling paint, not clean, very disappointed with the ship. Many items did not work correctly (clocks, laundry service, internet service, water fountains, doors).

I would stick with the newer ships and avoid this one.

375582796_2013-04-08001044.jpg.a524f0184ec9bded88eada684cfa1c40.jpg

1712055622_2013-04-08001041.jpg.4043c3e7117246d19a30e3955522a3a4.jpg

2031836774_2013-04-08001036.jpg.07a1200e8fbbfabd5930ce8df1bd69db.jpg

1825742060_2013-04-08001033.jpg.6a4898085780b06621ba1536ecb08a04.jpg

517389931_2013-04-08001031.jpg.a94a07e2f4f772c16933d5da4f936097.jpg

260210901_2013-04-08001026.jpg.efec5abb235e85ec4cdb70cb4c5891ce.jpg

554449621_2013-04-08001025.jpg.eb827c7a623cfaa6b2e5ac1869b37f9c.jpg

1127584367_2013-04-08001023.jpg.b44b1a4c06edecdfe9e81cd78bef0a34.jpg

3164297_2013-04-08001008.jpg.d3a1db6ed6e30141ab626e93c3dc4acd.jpg

628533963_2013-04-08001006.jpg.5a028b545f09648322bcebf4c20796e0.jpg

1423814222_2013-04-08001002.jpg.eeca414deb71adf0ec013860b659b6c7.jpg

Ok, yes some rust can be found on the outside of the ship and on the railings, but hey, stick your body outside in the salt air for months at a time and see how hard it is to cover up all the rust.

I've sailed S class 5 times and granted, they are the cat's meow.

Sailed M class 6 times, Celebrity keeps these ships in great shape too. I would never have a problem sailing on them in the future. :)

2MC

Well, the photos speak for themselves. You can see some of the mold and peeling paint - it was not in my cabin, but in the dining area and lounges.

I have found the S class ships are in far better condition, but they are newer as well.

One of the propulsion engines broke down on our Millennium cruise and we had to miss a port as well. We were told that this has happened more than once before with this ship.

I'll stick to the S class ships. They are fine.

No offense Jersey Fun- your pictrues clearly state some issues but I would not let that spoil my experience. Honestly I would not even have seen them. Look so you will find...! Anyway you should send those pictures to the X- Headquaters in Miami. Many of them look as if they could be fixed very easy and effective without even put her into drydock! Milli is close to 13 years old now- so a little wear and tear is unavoisdable.

Also since the Millenium Class no newbuilts from St. Nazzaire were ordered from X or RCI . They were not very satsified withtheir quality of the Millenium Class in the first place!

I still prefer M Class ships to S- Class- I sailed all of the Millenium Class ships , also Eclipse, Silhouette and Solstice. Nice NEW ships, but much to " INDOOR" for my taste. When I am on a ship, on a cruise whatever- I WANT TO SEE THE OCEAN! Ah those " old" Vision Class ships of RCL- there you could se the sea with every twist and turn.

Michael

I was on the Millie on the 05/24 Alaska cruise. I personally saw none of those things, but I wasn't really looking for them either, I was taking pictures of the beautiful scenery, friends I made and the food. If you were looking to buy an old house, those are the things that would give it character and charm. Yes, the ship is older than the S class ships of which I have sailed on 3 of them. I simply prefer the M class ships myself and will continue to sail them until Celebrity gets rid of them.

Do the newer ships have a bigger WOW factor, yes. However if its the destination you are looking for I would feel comfortable on any Celebrity ship.

Norma

CentralJerseyFun,

A Ship is sailing in a hostile, saline environment....

ALL vessels have rust, and have maintenance issues.

I can guarantee that Millennium is in fine shape. The pictures you posted are detail shots of small items in need of periodical maintenance. It is absolutely false To claim the ship is in bad condition. As a Professional, I am sorry that you think that these small items make a ship badly maintained. It shows your ignorance and inexperience in this field. When ships sail, it is inevitable that certain items will look used, rusty and or broken. That is a fact of the Sea.

Millennium is a modern vessel with tate of the art technology.

Since several years, she has not had propulsion problems due to technical failings. The issue several weeks ago was due to Foreign Object Damage to one of the Mermaid Pods.

Best regards,

Despegue

Thanks Luv2CruiseIL - I too enjoyed my trip as well. And the service in BLU was great - - BUT Celebrity advertises that this ship went through a major overhaul and renovation and then to find it will peeling paint and mold and damage was a disappointment.

Agreed that these are not major things, but shame on Celebrity for ignoring them.

We were on Millie for two weeks in March, and thought she was in fine shape. A little peeling paint and rust in a salt water environment does not put us off, and we prefer to judge a cruise by the friendliness of the staff, the quality of the food and entertainment, and overall cleanliness of the ship, all of which were top notch on our sailing. We would not hesitate to sail on any of the M-Class ships.

Thanks Luv2CruiseIL - I too enjoyed my trip as well. And the service in BLU was great - - BUT Celebrity advertises that this ship went through a major overhaul and renovation and then to find it will peeling paint and mold and damage was a disappointment.

Agreed that these are not major things, but shame on Celebrity for ignoring them.

Hi,

Glad you enjoyed your cruise...and sorry if these minor issues were a disappointment...Let me ask though, did you point out the issues to anyone while onboard ? The reason I ask...when I was on the Millie in October, I noticed a minor maintenance issue up on Deck 12 near the sports court...I pointed it out to a crew-member I saw in the area, and the next morning the area was roped off, was being repaired and re-painted...and was like new later that day.

As others have said...minor issues do happen to a tiny object (ship) sailing the vast oceans; with thousands of people moving throughout and about her 365 days a year; with constant use and re-use etc...but in my experience, Celebrity, and other cruise-lines do their best to keep on top of issues as they appear/become aware of them/as needed. Ongoing maintenance/cleaning/re-painting/repairing are a constant observance on the many ships I have sailed on...and Celebrity, in my opinion, has always been one of the best at it.

Hope you enjoy your next cruise even more !!

Woody

This was my 1st cruise on Celebrity (2 others were on Royal Caribbean), and I agree, that the ship did not appear to have been through a major overhaul recently. One day while we were in port, we received notice that our balcony could not be used from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. as they were doing maintenance on our side of the ship. The only difference we noticed later was a few pieces of paint which appeared to be blasted from somewhere on the ship.

I want to go back to Alaska again soon, but am not sure whether it will be on another Celebrity cruise, or one of the other cruise lines. My friend and I were very disappointed in the food and service avaialble through the buffet restaurant, but enjoyed the MDR. The shows were similar to what we had seen on RCI. I'll be doing much more research on ports & itinerary next time before we head out.

The Celebrity Millennium (I was on this ship several weeks ago) is in poor shape, lots of rust, mold, peeling paint, not clean, very disappointed with the ship. Many items did not work correctly (clocks, laundry service, internet service, water fountains, doors).

I would stick with the newer ships and avoid this one.

Wow, you actually took the time to document some rust on a ship that spends its life in sea water?!?

OP - I did the northbound Millennium cruise in Alaska and it was fantastic. I can't highly enough recommend a one-way cruise with some time in Denali before or after!

My wife and I spent a little more than three weeks on the Millennium from 25 Apr - 17 May 2013 (Shanghai to Seward and Seward to Vancouver), back-to-back cruises. These were our third and fourth voyages on Millennium and everything was fine. We stayed in one of the new Aqua Class cabins on Deck 11 and dined in Blu every morning and almost every evening...too much of a good thing!

Though a lot of people complain(ed) about the Millennium, look at the bright side...you're on vacation and not sitting in the office or at home watching TV. Someone is serving your meals (you don't have to cook) and someone is always trying their best to entertain you. You have beautiful scenery around you and many new places to visit...not to mention the serenity of the sea around you. Your fellow passengers and crew are generally wonderful people from all over the world. Get to know them and make new friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy yourself...you're on vacation.

Archived