Freedom from the Mouse! Our first non-Disney cruise, and we LOVED it!

This was us 4 years ago!!! :D

RCCL is wonderful (we just booked the Allure for summer 2014 - was afraid our cabins would sell out before our RCCL July 2014 cruise). We gave Carnival a try last summer mainly for the ports and missed RCCL so so much! Keep up the great review. :)

Totally agree with you!!!

Tell me more about Carnival - which ship? We are not afraid to try anthing new. But we are definitely in love with this ship - we sail for the ships, not the ports. In fact, out of 4 cruises, this is the first time we really REALLY loved our ports! Normally our sea days are our favorites.....

I'm in! Can't wait for the next installment! Thank you! :D

Thank YOU!

I am very happy with the Reds. Go Joey votto. Actually I'm headed to the game tomorrow afternoon. The Cubs r in town and we r headed to Disneyworld with our now 6 grandkids ( we've added one since the cruise, and yes we are paying for everyone; I think we r up to 11 now). But I am in process of planning a family cruise for everyone on Allure. My wife and I did it a few years ago and we both agreed; the kids need to be here. So that's my story.

Sorry for a brief OT post. My Dad was a career Army officer so [while he was stationed at Ft Knox] my first regular season MLB game was watching the Reds play the Cubs at Crosley Field in July 1968.

It is possible to Over-Disney. I've been going to WDW at least once a year for 24 years but when I cruise I don't want to see any mice. Congratulations on branching out.

LOL! Yeah, the only mice I want to see on a ship are in the movie Titanic. But then I guess I don't really want to see Titanic while on a cruise.... :eek:

We are sailing in two weeks, so you can bet I am subscribing!

We too are praying for the young boy who was sent to Arnold Palmer Hospital. Praying that he makes a quick and full recovery!

He has a facebook page, too. It's Chase Lykken.

You can't go wrong with Freedom. We took our 5 grandkids on for their first cruise. After comparing pricing with DCL, and since my wife and I were paying for everyone. We chose this ship.

LOVE it!!!!

Loving your review! And the rating system!

We're DVC members, so we're at WDW every year - our tradition is to add a cruise to our land vacation at Disney. We've had two Disney cruises and they were fantastic, but I've never understood those who have the attitude that if it's not Disney, it's not worth doing! We're sailing on the Oasis this September and I can't wait! Just like I can't wait for more of this review!

YES!!!! That is exactly right!!!!! I just don't get that attitude? I LOVE Disney! But there is more to see than just WDW...... Although I do miss it. I had to cancel my annual DISmoms trip this year because Ally has cheerleading tryouts that week and I can't miss that!!!

Radiance size wise compares to Wonder. The itineraries are far better with Radiance to Alaska. From what I hear, Radiance was built with Alaska voyages in mind, so much glass around that you could see outside from where ever you are in the ship.

I guess if we had the dreamworks experience it would have been more interesting for the kids, but this time around we are doing it more for sightseeing then the kids experience.

Very interesting!!!! I think I want to do an Alaska cruise for my 50th birthday..... sooner than I wish! lol I had always heard that Princess is the line for Alaska? But after our experience, I would go with RCCL that had a ship designed just for that!!!

love the passion in your review!

We are a family of 5 with 3 girls, so we have been wanting to try something outside of our Carnival Cruises, which we have 2 of. We booked Independence of the Seas last year but cancelled for a great 8 Day Carnival Breeze itinerary.

This year we want to take a break from Carnival to test other Cruise Lines and either RCI or Disney were of interest. Of course Disney is so over priced for a large family like ours so our only hope is that they have another Kids Sail Free or 25% off Promo for Canucks. If so, we will try it to say we have.

We have Freedom of the Seas booked for December 1 this year, and love the great reviews like yours!! Interested in what Islands you visited, and what you did as well..

We were on a Western, so Labadee (just wait for my review there - I liked it BETTER than Disney's Castaway Cay - oh the horrors!!!!), Grand Cayman, Jamaica, Cozumel. Next spring we visit Coco Cay (older of the RCCL private ports), St Maarten, St Thomas. Tell me about Carnival ships???

I am very happy with the Reds. Go Joey votto. Actually I'm headed to the game tomorrow afternoon. The Cubs r in town and we r headed to Disneyworld with our now 6 grandkids ( we've added one since the cruise, and yes we are paying for everyone; I think we r up to 11 now). But I am in process of planning a family cruise for everyone on Allure. My wife and I did it a few years ago and we both agreed; the kids need to be here. So that's my story.

I just fear Allure would be TOO big? No? Of course, that's what we were afraid of with Freedom and look how we feel now!!!

That is basically correct, The Freedoms are essentially "stretched" versions of the Voyager class. The Voyagers are approx 137,000 gt which is slightly larger than the Disney Dream class [just under 130,000]. The Radiance class is approx 90,000 gt which is a bit larger than the Disney Magic and Wonder at about 83,000. But the Radiance class tend to be more geared to adults with a fully enclosable solarium and without some of the attractions of the larger ships.

That makes sense about the encloseable solarium for Alaskan cruises.....

Me too! ;)

What cabin did you have? We have friends looking at 8710 and I hear something about sooting issues?

And so glad you didn't say "Go Cocks!" :D

Our room is 7408 corner aft....love love love it ...did I say LOVE IT! We had it last year and again this year....no soot problems....part covered part not...with huge port hole to the side...two loungers, two chairs and a table.

I would never ever ever say "Go Cocks"...lol

Our room is 7408 corner aft....love love love it ...did I say LOVE IT! We had it last year and again this year....no soot problems....part covered part not...with huge port hole to the side...two loungers, two chairs and a table.

I would never ever ever say "Go Cocks"...lol

OK, quick Clemson story.... We are originally from Ohio so HUGE Buckeye fans! But since living in SC we've chosen Clemson over USC. Anywho.... we had the opportunity recently to have dinner with DeAndre Hopkins and let me just say, we are now BIG Clemson fans, just because of this young man. He epitomizes humble. Nice, nice kid! His girlfriend's father is a customer of Jeff's so when he came into town, he went to visit his daughter at Clemson and Jeff ended up inviting his to bring his daughter and DeAndre to dinner. We had a wonderful time except for being interuppted several times by fans! I felt like a celebrity of sorts! lol And people thought Jeff was from an NFL team, there as a recruiter! hahahahaha!

Anyway, that Clemson shirt Ally is wearing is signed by DeAndre on the back.

Interesting read. Like it. Thanks for sharing, keep it up.

Only comment... holy crap that font is huge and ugly.

At least you didn't say my "aft" was huge and ugly! :p

OK, quick Clemson story.... We are originally from Ohio so HUGE Buckeye fans! But since living in SC we've chosen Clemson over USC. Anywho.... we had the opportunity recently to have dinner with DeAndre Hopkins and let me just say, we are now BIG Clemson fans, just because of this young man. He epitomizes humble. Nice, nice kid! His girlfriend's father is a customer of Jeff's so when he came into town, he went to visit his daughter at Clemson and Jeff ended up inviting his to bring his daughter and DeAndre to dinner. We had a wonderful time except for being interuppted several times by fans! I felt like a celebrity of sorts! lol And people thought Jeff was from an NFL team, there as a recruiter! hahahahaha!

Anyway, that Clemson shirt Ally is wearing is signed by DeAndre on the back.

At least you didn't say my "aft" was huge and ugly! :p

Funny you should mention Deandre "Nuk" Hopkins..I was just reading an article about him! He is definitely a class act and an incredible athlete! Love going to Clemson games...what an atmosphere!

After all our vacation voyeuring, I just wanted to see "it."

The elusive Promenade. So beautiful in photos, would it really measure up?

100_1740_zps55ded3cd.jpg

This was our first view. We entered the ship on Deck 4 port side, right through the photo gallery. I spotted the stairs and said, "Let's go see the Promenade!"

PapPap's first words, "Isn't there an elevator?" to which Jeff replied, "It's one level up, deal with it."

This would be a common conversation throughout the cruise..... :rolleyes:

DSC_0020_zps6757cece.jpg

It was love at first sight. I mean, Vintages, Bull and Bear Pub, and yeah, some other places that did not serve booze, but I'm cruising with my inlaws, cut me some slack!!!!

In my three previous cruises, the entry was gorgeous, DCL has beautiful atriums, and you are announced BY NAME like you are celebrities.....

But this. Nothing prepared me for the Promenade.

After walking the Promenade, we let Ally direct us up to Windjammer for lunch and our first Drink of the Day!!!!! Only $6.95 and the souvenier glass is actually GLASS, as opposed to plastic. RCCL you just keep wowing me!

I will give DCL credit for their "bring your own alcohol" policy. Very liberal, to say the least. If you can haul it on board, it's yours. In the past we've taken wine, rum (to make rum and cokes with the self serve soda machines), and even some fruity liquors. RCCL allows 2 bottles of wine per stateroom and that's it.

And remember, no water either. Although I think Nana and PapPap are still fighting that. In fact, I think they were at guest services fighting immediately after lunch, while we were checking out or luxury digs for the next week!

We thought we were so cool, because our room was highlighted on the touchscreen off the elevators...

DSC_0404_zps8efabffc.jpg

DSC_0405_zpsd1dffcce.jpg

There we are, in 1400!

We were on 1700 on April 2011:o What a big room with pole also huge balcony too...

Scottishwee35

Excellent review so far! Reading the part about when you first boarded brought back good memories. The first time I walked onto Freedom, all I could think about was getting up to the Royal Promenade. There is certainly a moment of awe when you see such a gigantic open space in the middle of a cruise ship!

Very interesting!!!! I think I want to do an Alaska cruise for my 50th birthday..... sooner than I wish! lol I had always heard that Princess is the line for Alaska? But after our experience, I would go with RCCL that had a ship designed just for that!!!

We were on a Western, so Labadee (just wait for my review there - I liked it BETTER than Disney's Castaway Cay - oh the horrors!!!!), Grand Cayman, Jamaica, Cozumel. Next spring we visit Coco Cay (older of the RCCL private ports), St Maarten, St Thomas. Tell me about Carnival ships???

Carnival ships have been fine for us. For the price we get plenty, as we are fortunate to take any Vacation we can. After a few of them though and with the recent events and cutbacks we wanted to compare for ourselves. We are not overly difficult to please, but I have found Carnival's Entertainment pretty dull our last 2 cruises as well as cutbacks in the MDR has slowed service. We went on the Breeze and loved it. Tons to do for Kids, lots to do for Adults and the complaints we had were not major but more hastle type stuff. If you do try Carnival do their more popular ships like Breeze, Magic, Dream, Liberty, etc...

Subscribing! We cruised DCL twice last year, and I read your reviews on the other board. We had cruised Freedom (just the two of us) before Disney (with the kids). Disney was great, but I think we'll stick with Royal from now on due to price. Looking forward to the rest of the review!

Everyone was really relaxed this day. Not a cloud in the sky, temps in the 70's. BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

Until I got that horrific text. There was a possible drowning on the Fantasy before the ship even left port. Not many details except it was a young boy and he was unresponsible when pulled from the pool.

We left to go check into our rooms and then headed back to Rusty's to have drinks and watch the sailaways. But as we waited and waited for the ships to leave, we realized that all ships were going to be delayed. I don't know if this was out of respect or if it was a port authority decision.

My friend on the Fantasy texted that it appeared they were going to hold their sail away party inside, while they continued the investigation up on the pool deck. We ended up leaving before they sailed, all with a heavy heart I"m sure.

Now before I go on, I will tell you that I have followed this story ever since, and it's so sad. But I do believe that this little guy will make a miraculous recovery. I just believe it. But he was life flighted to Arnold Palmer Children's Hospital in Orlando and it helped to know this the next morning, when Jeff got some info from the front desk. Even though they were not even on my ship, it was just so sad to have this hanging over us all on what should have been such a happy time for that young family.

We soon headed back to the hotel so Ally could meet up with some friends she had been emailing for a couple months, after meeting on our CC thread!

Next.... Sailaway Dreamworks style!

That is too bizarre. Did you know there was an almost identical incident on our cruise? (I was on the same cruise). It happened right in front of me, a girl became unresponsive in pool and had to be dragged out. She was breathing and didn't need CPR but the medical team took her away. Strange coincidence.

Edited by DrD

Found the review today and I'm loving it!!! Brings back memories of my sailing on the Freedom last summer (with my review in my sig below - where Drama Queen goes to the Caribbean!)!

And I think the font is perfectly lovely - especially for those of us...um...more "mature" readers who need bigger print!

Great review -- are you related to KansCocoa?

This killed me! No - we're not related, but we DO have similar writing styles, huh?! I'm glad to meet someone online who writes with humor! ;)

Your review is great, we need more. The Allure of the seas is a great ship, try her on your next cruise, well worth the money, iknow you didn't ask, just wanted to throw that in. My four kids loved that ship and want to go back

. . . This killed me! No - we're not related, but we DO have similar writing styles, huh?! I'm glad to meet someone online who writes with humor! ;)

If she had referred to her daughter as a Klingon, I would have been convinced.

I hope you know it was intended to be a compliment to you both.

Edited by mjldvlks

That is too bizarre. Did you know there was an almost identical incident on our cruise? (I was on the same cruise). It happened right in front of me, a girl became unresponsive in pool and had to be dragged out. She was breathing and didn't need CPR but the medical team took her away. Strange coincidence.

I was on this cruise too. We had friends on the Disney boat and had heard about the accident the day before. If you look at the second picture OP posted of the waterworks, I think he actually captured the incident. I was walking out onto the pool deck after they pulled the child out and couldn't believe I what I was seeing. Let me see if i can include the image ...

DSC_0030_zpsc2db4ae8.jpg

If you look to the far left of the image in the middle you will see where the people were huddled around the child.

I am having a blast reading your review! LOVE your sense of humor! You can keep dragging it out for the next 40 days, so it can hold me over until we board :D

We will have our first aft balcony...