Freedom from the Mouse! Our first non-Disney cruise, and we LOVED it!

We are also huge Disney people. We had booked the Fantasy for our trip this summer, but our 11 yo daughter saw some RCI commercials on TV and convinced me to check their prices. After seeing a savings of about $1500, we cancelled Fantasy and booked Freedom! Can't wait until July!

Loving the review, can't wait for more.

I'm excited to hear more too! We have a 6 and 4 year old and have sailed with disney three times and loved it! We are booked for Freedom this June and excited to see how we like it- looking forward to the review.

Just like you our family would be making the leap from the mouse to the Radiance of the seas this June. A big leap I say...after a few DisneyWorld/Land trips we tried our first cruise on the wonder. Ever since then we are hooked....have done the bahamas, the mexican rivera, so much so that the kids now call the "Wonder" their ship.

Heard about the accident on Fantasy..really said.. hopefully the kid has recovered by now.

Subbing...

We love Disney, and the two Disney cruises we've taken. But, we also had a really great time Mariner of the Seas a few months ago. So much that we booked the Freedom for February 2014. I'm excited about that trip, especially since we are going with friends. However, I am even more thrilled about our next Disney cruise.

bottom line, I am incredibly thankful for having the opportunity to cruise at all!

Oh, Hi Scottishwee! I recognize you from that other message board....we are on the Disney WBTA with you next fall.

I took my DD on her first cruise when she was 8. The following year I took her on her second trip to WDW. And I asked her while we were at Disney what was better ... Disney or a cruise. She didn't hesitate. She said "Cruise!" I was stunned. I knew which one I preferred, but I never thought a 9-year-old at Disney World would say she could think of a better way to spend a vacation.

I've never cruised on anything bigger than the Voyager class yet ... but am booked on the Liberty a year from now, so I'm looking forward to your experiences.

I took my DD on her first cruise when she was 8. The following year I took her on her second trip to WDW. And I asked her while we were at Disney what was better ... Disney or a cruise. She didn't hesitate. She said "Cruise!" I was stunned. I knew which one I preferred, but I never thought a 9-year-old at Disney World would say she could think of a better way to spend a vacation.

I've never cruised on anything bigger than the Voyager class yet ... but am booked on the Liberty a year from now, so I'm looking forward to your experiences.

I've just posted a Liberty review :-)

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1823446

Thanks for posting your review. We took our 5 grandkids on Freedom. They had a ball. The cost on Freedom was a lot cheaper than Disney, but the onboard experience was great. Since this was their first cruise that had nothing to compare to. And since my wife and I paid for everyone's trip we feel we got more bang for our buck on Freedom. Someday we may take them on Disney. But then again, I feel they would have as much fun on Allure or Oasis than on Dream or Fantasy. Let me stop. It's your review and I am looking forward to more.

We are from SC as well (love your daughter's Clemson shirt GO TIGERS!), Myrtle Beach, SC. We are sailing on the Freedom doing the Western on 5/12/13 (ready to go now). We were on Freedom last year and really enjoyed it as well as our AFT balcony. Enjoying your review!

The next morning we woke up to THIS!

DSC_0012_zpsabb95ed0.jpg

If you stay at CIS at the port, call them the day before you check in and request a top floor with a view of the port. That way you can see your ride when you wake up! We had it happen by luck last year so this year I made the request. Actually, we woke up early enough to see the Disney Dream still sailing IN to port! Awesome!

Yes, we just cannot sleep in on cruise day. And I really wish I could. But I heard movement in the room and then I heard the drapes moving. Ally was checking out the scene. At 6am. In the morning. On vacation.

Then she starts shaking our bed, whispering, quite loudly, "you awake?" Shaking a little harder. Jumping on it maybe. "YOU AWAKE????"

Well, we are now!!!!

And it's CRUISE DAY!!!! Finally, the app on my phone reads, "stop checking me every 2 hours, you leave today you psycho vacation geek!!!!"

We raced downstairs for breakfast before the masses hit. Let me just say, the breakfast buffet gets quite chaotic here. And we've learned something else. When you get on the ship, what's the first thing you do? Lunch buffet!

So it only makes sense to eat breakfast EARLY so you are nice and hungry for lunch. After all, you paid for it!!!! :p

We had a nice relaxing breakfast by the pool, then Nana and PapPap showed up all excited. And PapPap had "that" look on his face.

"Hey, I got us on the 10:00 shuttle."

See, you can't book the shuttle to the port until you check in. And even though we checked in early, the first available was noon, because so many large groups had already taken all available seats on the earlier vans. So when PapPap told us this, I said, "How?"

"Just don't you worry about that. Be in ready at 10." lol

Well, okie dokie!!!!

Upstairs to shower and get our bags ready, and downstairs to the Celebration Room we went! PapPap was already there, and on a first name basis with most everyone in the room by now. Yeah, you might have met him too? Meanwhile Nana is struggling with all the bags she's trying to get down from their room, because PapPap was "guarding" the 2 carryons they had already brought down. Needless to say, Jeff headed up to help his mother while Ally and I helped PapPap "guard" the luggage.

And you'll be happy to know that we did a good job and nobody so much as looked at our luggage.

10:30 and off we went! I just love these folks that run the shuttles to/from CIS. Please tip them well, they give you all sorts of port info, chit chat, and you don't touch your bags, no matter how heavy they are. Not that I'd know anything about that..... :rolleyes:

Now a little info about Port Canaveral. Contrary to what you read on the boards, you can NOT take bottled water on board by slapping a luggage tag on it and sending it through. Trust me. I tried. No biggie, because it was a $4 case of water. And quite frankly, I discovered RCCL has really good water on board. I mean, right out of the tap in our room. So I wasn't really that upset. I knew going in that there was some controversy on the boards, so if it worked, great, and if not, I'm out $4.

Now Nana and PapPap weren't going down that easily. They battled. They got some bigshot from the port involved. They wanted their water! Bigshot said it might make it. Yeah, right. We knew better.

We then left our bags with the porter and off we went. We are getting closer and closer to our ride!

DSC_0013_zps67dc53ce.jpg

One thing I had heard from all the DCL diehards is that "Disney has the best terminal......" And yes, it's nice. But honestly? It was the same darn terminal as RCCL without Mickey.

One thing I will try to do, but it's not original since I've seen some of my cohorts do the same, is to compare DCL with RCCL. Because like so many, after 3 DCL cruises, I thought nobody could eve come close. Well, stick around and see.

So far, based solely on the ship's drinking water....

RCCL 1

DCL 0

As I was saying, the port is very nice inside, nothing like the "overgrown warehouse" I had heard it would be.

DSC_0016_zps73dc75e6.jpg

DSC_0014_zps32ea9c83.jpg

DSC_0018_zps8337a3b3.jpg

We made it inside and through security by about 11am, whisked immediately to check in, where they take you based on your deck number. Then we were ushered to seats, all based on who got here first. So aside from Diamond Clubbers and Crown and Anchor members, we were going to be one of the first to board at 11:30, which is in about, oh, say 10 minutes!!!! Woohoo!!!

DSC_0017_zps4714f8aa.jpg

We sat down to wait and met some nice people from our part of the world, right near Clemson - go Tigers!!!! And started checking our watches. Well, our phones, cause who wears a watch anymore??? lol

It's 11:40. What? I thought we were boarding at 11:30! I'm hungry, remember I had breakfast at 7 so I could get my money's worth from Windjammer!

Then an announcement came on that the Coast Guard decided to do a surprise inspection. Oh joy.....

We were finally allowed to begin boarding about 12:30, an hour later than normal. Luckily we were surrounded by fun families that we were chatting up, so it was a nice wait.

And so I don't forget later, the Captain announced at the reception in the Promenade the next night, that the Freedom got the highest score EVER from the CG in Port Canaveral!!!! Yeah!!!!

Finally time!!!

Ladies and Gentlemen, we are ON THE SHIP!!!!

100_1738_zpsaf8c69b6.jpg

DSC_0019_zps5f816b61.jpg

For this segment

Terminal

DCL 1

RCCL 1

Coast Guard inspection

DCL 0

RCCL 1

Total:

DCL 1

RCCL 3

Subbing...

We love Disney, and the two Disney cruises we've taken. But, we also had a really great time Mariner of the Seas a few months ago. So much that we booked the Freedom for February 2014. I'm excited about that trip, especially since we are going with friends. However, I am even more thrilled about our next Disney cruise.

bottom line, I am incredibly thankful for having the opportunity to cruise at all!

Oh, Hi Scottishwee! I recognize you from that other message board....we are on the Disney WBTA with you next fall.

Hi Youalleverybody

Y will enjoy Freedom of the Seas...and cannot wait about Disney WBTA...;)

Scottishwe35;)

After all our vacation voyeuring, I just wanted to see "it."

The elusive Promenade. So beautiful in photos, would it really measure up?

100_1740_zps55ded3cd.jpg

This was our first view. We entered the ship on Deck 4 port side, right through the photo gallery. I spotted the stairs and said, "Let's go see the Promenade!"

PapPap's first words, "Isn't there an elevator?" to which Jeff replied, "It's one level up, deal with it."

This would be a common conversation throughout the cruise..... :rolleyes:

DSC_0020_zps6757cece.jpg

It was love at first sight. I mean, Vintages, Bull and Bear Pub, and yeah, some other places that did not serve booze, but I'm cruising with my inlaws, cut me some slack!!!!

In my three previous cruises, the entry was gorgeous, DCL has beautiful atriums, and you are announced BY NAME like you are celebrities.....

But this. Nothing prepared me for the Promenade.

After walking the Promenade, we let Ally direct us up to Windjammer for lunch and our first Drink of the Day!!!!! Only $6.95 and the souvenier glass is actually GLASS, as opposed to plastic. RCCL you just keep wowing me!

I will give DCL credit for their "bring your own alcohol" policy. Very liberal, to say the least. If you can haul it on board, it's yours. In the past we've taken wine, rum (to make rum and cokes with the self serve soda machines), and even some fruity liquors. RCCL allows 2 bottles of wine per stateroom and that's it.

And remember, no water either. Although I think Nana and PapPap are still fighting that. In fact, I think they were at guest services fighting immediately after lunch, while we were checking out or luxury digs for the next week!

We thought we were so cool, because our room was highlighted on the touchscreen off the elevators...

DSC_0404_zps8efabffc.jpg

DSC_0405_zpsd1dffcce.jpg

There we are, in 1400!

This is fun. I'd read your reviews over on the Dis Boards before a couple of our DCL cruises and now we are going on the Freedom of the Seas as well. We are a bit different in that we've sailed many lines including both RCCL and DCL a few times so we know that they are equal and where they each excel. Will be fun to hear how you copare the two, since we've done the same! (We leave in a week and a half for our FOS cruise! Wooohoo!)

Ta da!

DSC_0036_zps95532cb8.jpg

DSC_0037_zpsa5c95bae.jpg

DSC_0035_zpscf503db3.jpg

DSC_0039_zps1d329b21.jpg

Look at all that storage!!!!! With nice heavy doors that stayed closed when the ship started rocking. Same in the bathroom, heavy mirrored medicine cabinet style so you could store things in there without needing the over the door hanging shoe rack.

DSC_0038_zpseb20182c.jpg

Now I will give DCL props for their bathrooms. It's very nice to have the bath and a half. Well, split bath. One room with sink and shower, and another with sink and toilet. It makes it nice, especially for larger families or more adults in a room. Never an issue for us, but it is a nice feature. Keep in mind though, not all DCL cabins come with this feature. There are some inside staterooms with just the "normal" bathroom setup.

This was a Category D1 balcony stateroom. It was NOT a junior suite, although it was about the same size. But see that pole in the center? I guess that's a hindrance for some, so this room comes in at the D1 price point.

Oh, but don't get any ideas for April 6 next year, cause it's ours again!!!!!

So let's see, where are we?

Alcohol policy:

DCL 1 for bringing your own but RCCL has glass souvenier glass! lol

Entrance appeal

DCL 1 for the announcement

RCCL 1 for the wow factor of the Promenade

Bathroom:

DCL 1 for split bath design

So let's talk price, shall we? I'm thinking I might take points away from DCL for this. I went ahead and priced out same cruises NEXT year. I could get the absolute cheapest room on the Disney Fantasy, inside stateroom in the bowels of the ship, and it's $800 MORE than my D1 aft balcony on Freedom. to get a comparable balcony room it would be $1600 more. Now DCL does have larger rooms, but for that much more money, sorry, can't give them a point there. Now if I want an inside stateroom in the bowels of Freedom, it's $1800 less than DCL. So just to get on the ships, in the cheapest accomodations available, I hate what DCL has done. They have virtually made it impossible for some families to sail with them. Need I say more? Keep reading!!!

RCCL 1

Total:

DCL 4

RCCL 5

Thanks for the review and the comparisons. We have always sailed RCCL, but with the new grandbaby was thinking of the Disney Fantasy. Looked into pricing and WOW. I Could not believe the price difference. And believe me we are Disney folks. Annual passholders etc. So I am liking you be able to compare the two.

Ta da!

This was a Category D1 balcony stateroom. It was NOT a junior suite, although it was about the same size. But see that pole in the center? I guess that's a hindrance for some, so this room comes in at the D1 price point.

Oh, but don't get any ideas for April 6 next year, cause it's ours again!!!!!

So let's see, where are we?

Alcohol policy:

DCL 1 for bringing your own but RCCL has glass souvenier glass! lol

Entrance appeal

DCL 1 for the announcement

RCCL 1 for the wow factor of the Promenade

Bathroom:

DCL 1 for split bath design

So let's talk price, shall we? I'm thinking I might take points away from DCL for this. I went ahead and priced out same cruises NEXT year. I could get the absolute cheapest room on the Disney Fantasy, inside stateroom in the bowels of the ship, and it's $800 MORE than my D1 aft balcony on Freedom. to get a comparable balcony room it would be $1600 more. Now DCL does have larger rooms, but for that much more money, sorry, can't give them a point there. Now if I want an inside stateroom in the bowels of Freedom, it's $1800 less than DCL. So just to get on the ships, in the cheapest accomodations available, I hate what DCL has done. They have virtually made it impossible for some families to sail with them. Need I say more? Keep reading!!!

It may even be cheaper. Keep looking for price reductions up until final payment!