To Speedo or not to Speedo

NYCcruiser86

Thanks. how did you guys like Oceania? Or HAL/Celebrity? I've heard Celebrity is "dumbing" down their food/dresscodes quite a bit. Since Cunard has pretty much abandoned the Caribbean, Richard & I need to look at other lines. We did a vacation in Vegas this year instead of cruising.We seem to be looking at HAL for next year, as their prices seem quite reasonable.I'd love to hear your suggestions.

We went on Hal for the first time this season and had a good time. The food was ok and you did need a jacket to enter the dinning room on formal night. can't remember if the sauna/steam was free. LGBT meet every night ( we had a large group attend nightly ) Hal has two happy hours, 2 for 1 nightly at 5 and 11pm at different venues. I like Celebrity, but try only to cruise on a line that does not charge for the sauna/steam.

Edited by CrusingJoe

Thanks. how did you guys like Oceania? Or HAL/Celebrity? I've heard Celebrity is "dumbing" down their food/dresscodes quite a bit. Since Cunard has pretty much abandoned the Caribbean, Richard & I need to look at other lines. We did a vacation in Vegas this year instead of cruising.We seem to be looking at HAL for next year, as their prices seem quite reasonable.I'd love to hear your suggestions.

keithm - We did not like Oceania at all. Though the service was excellent, food is better on Celebrity or Princess. Also, the people were very old and if you made a noise at the pool - it was like committing a crime. By 9PM the ship was deserted. No music at pool either.

We have also been on HAL - also old, but food and service were very good - our friend 84 y.o. said the people were too old for her. - Ha!! We are off on the Ruby Princess this summer to Italy, Greece, Turkey and Croatia. We will have the same cabin we had three times before.

We still like the "M" class ships of Celebrity the best. We were just on Reflection ("S" Class) for Spring Break and it was fine.

Talk to you soon...:)

We went on Hal for the first time this season and had a good time. The food was ok and you did need a jacket to enter the dinning room on formal night. can't remember if the sauna/steam was free. LGBT meet every night ( we had a large group attend nightly ) Hal has two happy hours, 2 for 1 nightly at 5 and 11pm at different venues. I like Celebrity, but try only to cruise on a line that does not charge for the sauna/steam.

CrusingJoe - Glad you had a good time. Did you find the crowd fairly old? Also, service was okay on our trip. We did like their drink policy with the cards. It was not overpriced on drinks. Food was also very good.

Happy Sailing!!!

Edited by neilrr

keithm - We did not like Oceania at all. Though the service was excellent, food is better on Celebrity or Princess. Also, the people were very old and if you made a noise at the pool - it was like committing a crime. By 9PM the ship was deserted. No music at pool either.

We have also been on HAL - also old, but food and service were very good - our friend 84 y.o. said the people were too old for her. - Ha!! We are off on the Ruby Princess this summer to Italy, Greece, Turkey and Croatia. We will have the same cabin we had three times before.

We still like the "M" class ships of Celebrity the best. We were just on Reflection ("S" Class) for Spring Break and it was fine.

Talk to you soon...:)

CrusingJoe - Glad you had a good time. Did you find the crowd fairly old? Also, service was okay on our trip. We did like their drink policy with the cards. It was not overpriced on drinks. Food was also very good.

Happy Sailing!!!

Did you find the crowd fairly old? No about the same mix as princess. I think it depends on the port it leaves from and if it's over 7 days.

Wow, I'd hate to be "old" and "fat" with some of the comments on this thread. To each their own, live and let live. Who gives a rat's butt whether someone has a gym bod or not? Wear what you want, focus on your own self and let others do the same.

Just sayin...:rolleyes:

Wow, I'd hate to be "old" and "fat" with some of the comments on this thread. To each their own, live and let live. Who gives a rat's butt whether someone has a gym bod or not? Wear what you want, focus on your own self and let others do the same.

Just sayin...:rolleyes:

Mermen - I agree, as long as I am am not subjected to look at it...:eek: Personally, I like older myself - well groomed and well kept.

Just sayin...:)

Edited by neilrr

As a European I have always worn a speedo. At almost 50, I still find men in culottes look ridiculous--in and out of water. I actually prefer wearing nothing in the water, but alas that's rarely possible in the US.

We frequently cruise DCL and have never had an issue with speedos. But then I don't wear them on formal night! :p

I swam in HS & college & still to this day(mid 50's,man here) so the speedo was a natural since my teen years - I tried board shorts / surfer lengths & being on the short side(me not the shorts) I found the extra material too much, looked silly & had to have them tailored...when I was in my mid 20's I decided enough - so its speedo style w/ linen shorts & shirts...fashionable, comfortable & the tan lines all in one......

One thing I learned years ago(1970's) on the Oceanic while in the carib - one day we were at the beach in St Thomas & a few crew members showed up - all Italian - some were in their, 20s, 30s, 40s & 50,s - all in speedos...life lesson - its not what you wear - its how you wear it......OMG - I can't remember what I did last month but I sure can pick those men out today in a lineup(as long as they are in their speedos)......

As a European I have always worn a speedo. At almost 50, I still find men in culottes look ridiculous--in and out of water. I actually prefer wearing nothing in the water, but alas that's rarely possible in the US.

We frequently cruise DCL and have never had an issue with speedos. But then I don't wear them on formal night! :p

Edited by Rotterdam

• 2 weeks later...
I swam in HS & college & still to this day(mid 50's,man here) so the speedo was a natural since my teen years - I tried board shorts / surfer lengths & being on the short side(me not the shorts) I found the extra material too much, looked silly & had to have them tailored...when I was in my mid 20's I decided enough - so its speedo style w/ linen shorts & shirts...fashionable, comfortable & the tan lines all in one......

One thing I learned years ago(1970's) on the Oceanic while in the carib - one day we were at the beach in St Thomas & a few crew members showed up - all Italian - some were in their, 20s, 30s, 40s & 50,s - all in speedos...life lesson - its not what you wear - its how you wear it......OMG - I can't remember what I did last month but I sure can pick those men out today in a lineup(as long as they are in their speedos)......

The swim suits men wear in the US today are ridiculous. They remind me of a young growing teenager that has outgrown the length of his pants. While I don't usually wear speedos except under my diving wet suit, I do wear short swimwear like that worn a few decades ago. The same goes for my shorts which I like to be 6" - 7" long and not down below my knees.

Has anyone seen the pictures of Marc Jacobs & his BF in Brazil wearing speedos....well worn to say the least (the BF and the bathing suit)!

Just did and WOW! Hope I look like that at 50, ya right. Where can I get that Speedo, take it off him...:)

What problem could it possibly cause? It's not like they will put you off the ship for wearing a speedo. So stop worrying what other people think and be true to yourself.

Well, I like "looking" honestly but some guys really shouldn't. And frankly I think it is a bit much. I know some will disagree. Do you really need to show your stuff to everybody? I guess I am old fashioned a bit. I'm thinking "put some clothes on man." It is a bit like perfume. A little is good, a lot is well, to much. You just stink. :D

Well, I like "looking" honestly but some guys really shouldn't. And frankly I think it is a bit much. I know some will disagree. Do you really need to show your stuff to everybody? I guess I am old fashioned a bit. I'm thinking "put some clothes on man." It is a bit like perfume. A little is good, a lot is well, to much. You just stink. :D

One almost never hears that comment about women's bathing suits: "Do you really need to show your stuff to everybody?" :confused:

One almost never hears that comment about women's bathing suits: "Do you really need to show your stuff to everybody?" :confused:

While I agree that there is a double standard, my partner always tells me "a gift is not a gift if it isn't wrapped".

I prefer the smallest amount of clothing - for sunning and swimming. In fact, nude is better for both, but not around the pool on a cruise....:D

He thinks Lycra is the work of the devil.

I am from Europe, he is from the US.....that may explain it.

In private, a little more wrapping is better if it creates an urgency to get the gift "unwrapped"!

Speedos: "do what you are comfortable with". We have on average 7.5 decades on this planet. Being concerned with what others think of you or your attire (as long as you're legal) is a waste of mental energy and time.

While I agree that there is a double standard, my partner always tells me "a gift is not a gift if it isn't wrapped".

Why are mens' parts considered gifts and womens' aren't? :confused: :)

I prefer the smallest amount of clothing - for sunning and swimming. In fact, nude is better for both, but not around the pool on a cruise....:D

I agree in the better part, and it is all about location, location, location. Depends on the cruise and the pool. ;) BTW I don't own - and I think I have never owned - a pair of long, baggy board shorts. I guess I just don't get "it".

Why are mens' parts considered gifts and womens' aren't? :confused:

Ha! I think it's "wrapping is needed for both genders" in my partners opinion.

But in general, society treats women's bodies different from men's. it shouldn't, but t does.

Sorry to "butt" in so to speak people, but has anyone seen the YouTube clip of the Russian bloke dancing on the beach?

He seems to be happy and enjoying his holiday... Good for him!!

:D

No and I'm sorry I did.

Sorry to "butt" in so to speak people, but has anyone seen the YouTube clip of the Russian bloke dancing on the beach?

Good for him! Definitely "shaking his groove thing"...at least he's active! :)

Edited by Mermen

There is a guy who is out to have a good time and really could care less what others may say. Life is fleeting so have a good responsible time while here and don't spend time worrying what a few snobs think. Their lives are probably miserable worrying about what others think.