To Speedo or not to Speedo

NYCcruiser86

hey cruiseveteran 2,if we ever meet you better be wearing a speedo, you look amazing bklyn bobby

Deal... I dont wear any other type of swimwear.. I wish more guys would wear them so im not the only one on a ship wearing one. LOL. Guess the only way to fix that problem is book a all gay cruise.. Sad but true...

Edited by cruiseveteran2

Ditto the above!

I can never work out why people get so worked up about this topic.

If they are so offended by them, it's probably because deep down, they know they really want to wear a pair themselves......

Those that protest too much.... :D:D:D

(Mind you, I draw the line at a "Mankini", a la "Borat" :eek: ....)

I stirred the pot on this topic on one of the main boards early last year. Somebody asked about it on the CCL board.. (of all places) .. Honey Boo Boo of cruise lines... 1/2 the people there got offended and pissed off.. Mainly women.. Really?.. So I guess Ill just keep the topic on the gay section since 99% of society (USA) thinks only gay men wear them anyhow..

Edited by cruiseveteran2

I stirred the pot on this topic on one of the main boards early last year. Somebody asked about it on the CCL board.. (of all places) .. Honey Boo Boo of cruise lines... 1/2 the people there got offended and pissed off.. Mainly women.. Really?.. So I guess Ill just keep the topic on the gay section since 99% of society (USA) thinks only gay men wear them anyhow..

Gaydar;);)

That's why I would never cruise Alaska. I hate the cold.

Then you are missing out on seeing a beautiful part of the world!

It is not always cold: we had 39°F in Glacier Bay; 58°F in Juneau and 72-74°F in Sitka and Ketchikan. Those two days we has blue skies and spent time round the pool - I got home with a tan. ;)

I was in Anchorage via air in July 2004. When we landed at about 8 PM, the temperature was mid-90's! the first week we were there it was in the 90's every day before it broke and temps returned to more normal values.

Then you are missing out on seeing a beautiful part of the world!

It is not always cold: we had 39°F in Glacier Bay; 58°F in Juneau and 72-74°F in Sitka and Ketchikan. Those two days we has blue skies and spent time round the pool - I got home with a tan. ;)

I realize I'm missing out on seeing Alaska. I'm not a happy camper if it's not sunning and in the 80's on a cruise. I like sunning daily and hate dressing for the colder weather. Give me a speedo, sun tan lotion and a towel, I'm happy.

I realize I'm missing out on seeing Alaska. I'm not a happy camper if it's not sunning and in the 80's on a cruise. I like sunning daily and hate dressing for the colder weather. Give me a speedo, sun tan lotion and a towel, I'm happy.

There must be a repo cruise you can do that starts or ends in a warm climate like Hawaii or Mexico... I know .....its ridiculous to think we'd meet the Captain sans tan lines ...just in case!!!!

I'm saving Alaska for the right ship!!!(and packing the speedo & chinchilla)...

There must be a repo cruise you can do that starts or ends in a warm climate like Hawaii or Mexico... I know .....its ridiculous to think we'd meet the Captain sans tan lines ...just in case!!!!

I'm saving Alaska for the right ship!!!(and packing the speedo & chinchilla)...

Great idea, I've meet a few captain's on RCCL, I'd like to see their tan lines :D

No you stirred the pot with your obtuseness about the subject when several families asked you ,politely, that as there were going to be small children at the meet and greet at beach for 2 cruises to kindly wear attire that would be more appropriate around children tthen a post of yours was found where you were bragging about "hooking up" with a 16 yr old on a previous cruise. ever vigilant

No you stirred the pot with your obtuseness about the subject when several families asked you ,politely, that as there were going to be small children at the meet and greet at beach for 2 cruises to kindly wear attire that would be more appropriate around children tthen a post of yours was found where you were bragging about "hooking up" with a 16 yr old on a previous cruise. ever vigilant

Now that' camp.;)

• 3 months later...

I've never understood why people have a problem with a man in a speedo. I may not have the hottest body, but I'm 100 percent comfortable in a speedo - and I'll be wearing one on the NCL Dawn leaving 1/19/14, so look for me there!

I've never understood why people have a problem with a man in a speedo. I may not have the hottest body, but I'm 100 percent comfortable in a speedo - and I'll be wearing one on the NCL Dawn leaving 1/19/14, so look for me there!

I totally agree. I will be on deck on the Carnival Dream the week of Dec 14th. Cant wait. I have a swimmers body. Been wearing them for many yrs and I dont even have a normal pair of guys swim trunks, only speedos.

Don't worry about it. With some of the bikinis women wear, who would have the nerve to say anything. :D And some of those women... :eek:

By the way, what NYE cruise are you taking? My husband and I will be on NCL Epic on Dec 28th.

I always like the "surfer" type shorts. At one time(about 20 years ago) I would've looked good in speedos(not anymore)Being 20lb over weight is one thing,but it's the "waxing" I'd probably need done! To quote an old "Bugs Bunny" line.."She may not be very pretty now, but she was somebody's baby once"

As an Australian who is about to take my first Caribbean cruise with mostly Americans (I'm assuming), is this honestly an issue or just an amusing topic? I don't think twice about wearing them here nor do they raise a second glance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As an Australian who is about to take my first Caribbean cruise with mostly Americans (I'm assuming), is this honestly an issue or just an amusing topic? I don't think twice about wearing them here nor do they raise a second glance!

Im American and I dont care what others feel about me wearing them. There are always others wearing worse with worse bodies. LOL.

You wont have any issues wearing speedos. I havent yet had anyone come up to me and say anything. But you do get the "stares" from others, mostly behind your back when they think your not looking. On every ship ive been on, besides me, there were at least 2 other people wearing Speedos and they were usually up in the Adult only deck areas of the ship.

I'm not embarrassed by wearing it at all but will it cause a "problem?" You know how some American's are...

One third will be scandalized and clutching their pearls, another third will be wondering what they would look like in them, and the final third will be wondering what you look like out of them.

It pays to remember America was founded by people who left England because it wasn't uptight enough. :confused:

Well you Aussies always seem to look so hot. We yanks..well(this'll will P.O. some folks LOL!)

What gets under my skin, is people say its not "proper" on public beaches where familys and kids are around, yet you see women who are about to "fall out" of there bikini swimsuits, but yet that perfectly ok... What makes that any differnt?? There both legal swimwear designed for that purpose. To wear on the beach, boating, and swimming.. Yet a guy gets flack because its a Speedo.. You see the same body "contours" or "outlines" on a women as you do with a guy. The women have "2" and the guys have "1".. But yet when you talk to a women, your looking right at it and on a guy its below waist level and you shouldnt be looking there when you have a conversation anyhow.... LOL.

So any guy who wants to wear one on a ship. Feel free to wear it. Nobody will give you any flack over it. Only the jealious fat people that wish they could get away with wearing one. Those are the ones that judge and complain about Speedos around women and kids. I just ignore them or go to a part of the ship where those types dont hang out. Like the Adult Serinety areas.

Edited by navyvet8395

Jealous fat people? Oh, please, those walrus people are wearing the speedos that cause me to avert my eyes. This is a curious thread. Wear what you want, everybody else does, and this analysis makes no sense to me. Jealous fat people and overly judgmental gays, please give me a break. My eyes pivot and serve the purpose. Speedos aside, I have seen people who should not bear any of their abundance of fat and skin in public, but I can deal with it.

Im American and I dont care what others feel about me wearing them. There are always others wearing worse with worse bodies. LOL.

You wont have any issues wearing speedos. I havent yet had anyone come up to me and say anything. But you do get the "stares" from others, mostly behind your back when they think your not looking. On every ship ive been on, besides me, there were at least 2 other people wearing Speedos and they were usually up in the Adult only deck areas of the ship.

You see "at least 2 others"? Out of thousands? Wow, so obviously Speedos are quite unusual. My BF and I will both be wearing them and I have no intention of altering that habit to comply with the "moral" requirements of other passengers, but I am so surprised it even cracks a mention. God help them if they ever visit Bondi Beach in Sydney!

One third will be scandalized and clutching their pearls, another third will be wondering what they would look like in them, and the final third will be wondering what you look like out of them.

It pays to remember America was founded by people who left England because it wasn't uptight enough. :confused:

Great answer! Especially the pearl clutching! Lol :)

I agree with the common advice to wear whatever you are comfortable in. Two years ago on a Cunard holiday cruise to Hawaii, I wore my Speedo on the sun deck; I don't own any other type of suit. I was 60 years old at the time, quite fit since I spend 80 minutes on the bike per day. At the black jack table later that night I received a couple of friendly jokes from a couple of straight guys in a family group with whom we were hanging out. I said something like, "You straight people need to get over yourselves." Still feel the same way. In a month we will board a 68-day cruise LA to Hong Kong on Seabourn, through lots of toasty tropical areas. I intend to soak up some sun, and no, I have not invested in a new full-figure swim suit.