Advise needed from solo cruisers

Ms. T

My cabin mate may flake on our cruise & not go...Can't find anyone to take their place.

Little nervous about going solo.:eek:

Not sure if I should go alone (security issues) or just cancel my cruise :( :confused:

What's your experience cruising solo...good & bad experiences welcomed

I have cruised solo twice and will do so again on Monday (woot woot!). I enjoyed it very much and like not having to share the cabin. I feel more secure on a cruise ship than I do at home, I am not kidding. I enjoy meeting other people and sharing cruise story's and of course, the people watching.

I have cruised solo twice and will do so again on Monday (woot woot!). I enjoyed it very much and like not having to share the cabin. I feel more secure on a cruise ship than I do at home, I am not kidding. I enjoy meeting other people and sharing cruise story's and of course, the people watching.

Hope I can get over my fear & go....Thanks for the reply

I have the same fears that you do about cruising solo. My hubby wants to book a solo cruise for me so I can spend a few days relaxing without him and our son coming along since I'm always stressed out about making sure everyone else is happy. I'm terrified to try it because I have a lot of social anxiety. I can chat here with no problems, but when it comes to speaking with someone face to face I get really anxious. The initial thought of doing a solo cruise is very exciting for me, but I spend too much time worrying and talk myself out of it.

I'm sure it would be very relaxing to go on a cruise and only have to worry about yourself and what you want to do. That's my reason for wanting to try it. If you choose to go on your cruise, please come back and let us know how it went. I would love to hear from someone who went solo and had the same fears and reservations that I do before going.

I have the same fears that you do about cruising solo. My hubby wants to book a solo cruise for me so I can spend a few days relaxing without him and our son coming along since I'm always stressed out about making sure everyone else is happy. I'm terrified to try it because I have a lot of social anxiety. I can chat here with no problems, but when it comes to speaking with someone face to face I get really anxious. The initial thought of doing a solo cruise is very exciting for me, but I spend too much time worrying and talk myself out of it.

I'm sure it would be very relaxing to go on a cruise and only have to worry about yourself and what you want to do. That's my reason for wanting to try it. If you choose to go on your cruise, please come back and let us know how it went. I would love to hear from someone who went solo and had the same fears and reservations that I do before going.

Glad to hear I'm not alone with my anxieties....I noticed you have 2 cruises way before mine. You be sure to come back & tell how you made out.

My cabin mate may flake on our cruise & not go...Can't find anyone to take their place.

Little nervous about going solo.:eek:

Not sure if I should go alone (security issues) or just cancel my cruise :( :confused:

What's your experience cruising solo...good & bad experiences welcomed

My first solo won't happen until July, but if you do a search for GAPearl, she cruises solo all the time and loves it!

Don't be nervous. And whatever you do, don't alert the cruise line ahead of time that your roommate won't show; you'll have to pay extra if you do. Now, of course if he or she has insurance, then they'll need to alert the cruise line ahead of time.

Just bring a book or your Kindle so you don't have to interact with others unless you want to. I too was concerned about traveling solo, but GAPearl helped ease some of my fears. I'm shy, but my friends and co-workers don't think that I am. Think of it as being in your living room relaxing and the people around you are on your television and you're watching them. :D

My first solo won't happen until July' date=' but if you do a search for GAPearl, she cruises solo all the time and loves it!

Don't be nervous. And whatever you do, don't alert the cruise line ahead of time that your roommate won't show; you'll have to pay extra if you do. Now, of course if he or she has insurance, then they'll need to alert the cruise line ahead of time.[/quote']

Please explain the "extra fees" for sailing solo. I paid double occupancy because I haven't added the other person yet. When I booked the cruise it was with thought of taking this person but didn't add the name

I did my first cruise in 1999 with 2 family members. Great cruise, and wanted to go right back again the following year, but they could not go and most of my friends dont cruise or like cruises, and the ones that do, couldnt go when I could; so.....I booked my first solo cruise on Carnival Sensation for October 2000. Yes, I was quite terrified at first, especially first night going to dinner. But I made myself go, and I was fortuneate to be at a large table with 7 of the nicest people, some of which Im still in touch with.

Haved cruised solo twice since then and love it. Nice to go with someone too, but I love my solo cruises for this reason or reasons; I can get up when I want to, go to eat when I want to, or go to buffet as I choose. I can go to the shows that I want to see and not have to sit through something that doesnt appeal because my travel mate wants to... Yes, I know a bit selfish of me, but I spend my time catering to people all the time both at home and at work, so my ME time is precious.

Only downfall to solo cruising for me, is taking excursions in ports of call, and when I do; I stick to the ship sponsored excursions, and often there are better options, but being solo, Im hesitant. Still I have a blast on my solo cruises and always meet some really nice people, being both other solo travellers and also couples and families too.

Im looking forward to another great solo cruise adventure this coming November.:)

I've done a couple of cruises solo and enjoyed it. There are some advantages, such as open single spots on tenders (so you get to jump ahead of others), and it's always easy to find a single seat in any ship venue, and of course you can do your own thing without consulting a roommate. There's a lot of freedom.

Admittedly, it is easier for a guy to be worry-free about cruising solo than it is for a gal. Frankly speaking, I wouldn't have done some of my "do your own thing" excursions had I been a female. There are at least a few extra misogynist male pigs in the Caribbean compared to the U.S. (not dissing the whole region, just a portion that hasn't learned the phrase "no means no"). But I've met plenty of solo women cruisers who were entirely comfortable. No way would I cancel if I were you.

I suppose like anything else it is a different experience for everyone.

I think it depends a lot on your age, which cruise line & destination & time of year you choose plus your comfort level with new experiences.

I tried my very first cruise as a 49 year old female solo cruizer from Canada.

It meant driving to Seattle, flying to Chicago, changing planes to Miami & a bus to the port.

It was prior to hi speed internet so I used a TA & had no idea what to expect either on board or at the ports. (Caribbean)

I did not use cruise line tours but used the dailies to plan out my excursions.

I found that my table mates were gracious, I was open to more people both on & off ship, I felt safe in all the ports, with taxi drivers, shop keepers & beach goers.

I enriched my life by meeting wonderful people I would not have met if I had travelled with a companion.

It was a very rewarding experience for me.

Please explain the "extra fees" for sailing solo. I paid double occupancy because I haven't added the other person yet. When I booked the cruise it was with thought of taking this person but didn't add the name

Oh, then you're fine. I thought the other person was listed on the booking too. So, you won't have any extra fees.

I've done 3 solo and booked yesterday for one in June. I love cruising solo..no one to tell me what to do or where to go. As for security, in ports, if you are concerned, do a ship excursion where you'll be with other people from the ship versus wandering off alone. Otherwise, it's not really any different on a cruise ship than at home or at a hotel (deadbolt the door when you are in your cabin, don't get so drunk you aren't able to think clearly, don't accept drinks from people you don't know, don't give out your room number, pay attention to your surroundings).

No extra fees then since you've already paid the double occupancy rate.

I'm actually considering solo cruising after reading GA Pearl's reviews on here. My only fear would be excursions, but I would simply look on the cruise roll call and join group excursions. Roll calls are great for getting to know your cruise mates beforehand too.

I would be nervous as well, you hear stories all the time, BUT, as a mother and wife, I would welcome the alone time. I always have to worry on the cruise if my DH is happy, what are the boys doing, this, that, the other. Just to be able to go on my own and just do my own thing and not worry about anyone else.

I suppose like anything else it is a different experience for everyone.

I think it depends a lot on your age, which cruise line & destination & time of year you choose plus your comfort level with new experiences.

I tried my very first cruise as a 49 year old female solo cruizer from Canada.

It meant driving to Seattle, flying to Chicago, changing planes to Miami & a bus to the port.

It was prior to hi speed internet so I used a TA & had no idea what to expect either on board or at the ports. (Caribbean)

I did not use cruise line tours but used the dailies to plan out my excursions.

I found that my table mates were gracious, I was open to more people both on & off ship, I felt safe in all the ports, with taxi drivers, shop keepers & beach goers.

I enriched my life by meeting wonderful people I would not have met if I had travelled with a companion.

It was a very rewarding experience for me.

Thanks for your response....at the moment my fears stems from cruising alone but mainly because I have to fly :eek: to the port something I've NEVER done. Thankfully I have always to go before my cruise prayerfully I'll get over my fears

I was nervous too. I picked a short cruise so I could test the "waters". I'm shy too. I could get up & turn in as early or late as I wanted. I mostly read my kindle or people watched with a DOD in my hand. I chose Anytime Dining and ate with different pax each night. I was afraid of being alone and getting stuck with people I did not enjoy with Traditional Dining.

I will not hesitate to do it again.

It was a new cruise experience. When I cruise with SO it's more romantic. When I cruise with my girlfriends there's more partying. When I cruise with my dive buddy there is more diving. My sister inhales and my daughter loves trivia and the shows. All is good.

Thanks for your response....at the moment my fears stems from cruising alone but mainly because I have to fly :eek: to the port something I've NEVER done. Thankfully I have always to go before my cruise prayerfully I'll get over my fears

I flew in the day before. I always do this anyway. I does help lower the stress level.

My SO was more worried about me than I was. I cruised out of Miami and booked my hotel for the night before at the hotel that is right in the airport. It was very convenient and helped lower his stress level.

Oh! Another thing I did was to book on a ship that I had recently cruised on with a cabin in the same general area so I felt almost at home.

I flew in the day before. I always do this anyway. I does help lower the stress level.

My SO was more worried about me than I was. I cruised out of Miami and booked my hotel for the night before at the hotel that is right in the airport. It was very convenient and helped lower his stress level.

Oh! Another thing I did was to book on a ship that I had recently cruised on with a cabin in the same general area so I felt almost at home.

Great advice..I'm flying the day before as well

A few months ago I was solo on the Magic. As a 20 something year old, that's pretty rare.

But I had a fun time nonetheless. Got to talk to a lot of interesting people that I wouldn't have if I had a companion. Plus I always needed someone else to take my photos for me, haha.

Probably wouldn't go solo again if I could potentially help it, especially since I'm like, paying double anyway.

Doing it on Saturday in a grand suite! First half of a b2b and then 20 family and friends jump on. I figure the only way I would get to relax. BTW I'm not alone I'm with 3k other friendly folks having the time of thier lives! No phones, no customers, kids, or snoring!

Solo cruising is the best. Once on the ship remember even people in groups together go off in their own direction. You'll always have opportunities to meet as many of few people as you want.

The most important thing is its your vacation and you can do as much or as little as you want and only have to consider yourself. This in itself makes a cruise more relaxing.

Go for it and you will have a great time.

In my signature are a couple of my recent "Live" solo cruise trip reports. If you get board, have a read. :-)

Solo cruising is now my preferred method of cruising.

Have a great cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Please excuse any typographical errors.

Archived