HAL Wine Cost/Rules

SabreSailor

There were LOTS of posts by people who thought it was terrible for people to bring wine on the ship. Some were worried HAL would change the rules ((because of people bringing on large amounts). Others were concerned that HAL was losing revenue and would raise cruise prices!!

Startwin is absolutely correct!!

Absolutely correct. Funny how none of them have come forward to admit it in this thread---even those who posted to this thread.

We bring wine on board. And we also buy some in the MDR. Yes, the selection of wines may not be the best on HAL and of course the same could be said of other cruise lines.

We are not wine experts. We know what we like and that is about as far as it goes. This is a mass market environment and I supect HAL stocks those wines it believes that it can sell most often-both mid range and higher priced, and that yield the highest margins. Cannot blame them for that. This is a business not a wine club.

But our decision to select a certain cruise line or ship would never be made on how varied their wine list is or how whether the charge for a bottle or glass is plus or minus twenty percent over what we would pay in a land based restaurant. Nor is it reasonable to compare the cost of a bottle of wine purchased in a store to the cost of a bottle of wine served at your table in the MDR or in a restaurant.

There are other attributes that are far more important to us. At the end of the day, we can always bring our own wine on board and simply pay the corkage if we with to consume it in public areas.

We really appreciate having these choices.

I repeat - I believe people thought you were referring to posts in this thread.

Really? Then go back and read posts #61 and #63 - in fact RonJoan says "I cannot ever recall....." (and Sail says "I agree") which makes it clear it doesn't refer to this thread alone.

Startwin.... You didn't want to do a search.

I don't want to either. Afterall, it was your idea. :D

I don't dispute there are those who think there should be a limit to wine allowance for whatever their reasons. It was the word 'resent' I question.

Resent? Why would anyone resent what wine someone else brings? :confused:

Really? Then go back and read posts #61 and #63 - in fact RonJoan says "I cannot ever recall....." (and Sail says "I agree") which makes it clear it doesn't refer to this thread alone.

And I stand by my statement that "I cannot ever recall" objections on these boards to the principal of passengers bringing wine aboard. How in the world can Startwin possibly question what I recall?

I did not accused you of "lying" and would never do so. That is your term. I asked you to supply some references to back up you assertions and you have refused.

I repeat my concern over those who then flaunt the rules by consuming that wine outside their cabin by carrying glasses to the MDR and other ploys and thus threaten HAL's permission to bring wine aboard for all of us. All in a cheap attempt at avoiding the corkage fee.

RonJoan

Startwin.... You didn't want to do a search.

I don't want to either. Afterall, it was your idea. :D

I don't dispute there are those who think there should be a limit to wine allowance for whatever their reasons. It was the word 'resent' I question.

Resent? Why would anyone resent what wine someone else brings? :confused:

I'm sorry you don't like the word "resent" Sail, but honestly, that's what has come across in all the posts about pax who bring their own wine onboard, which of course does not break any of HAL's rules - there's been lots of discussion on it.

Where I grew up, Montreal, many restaurants not only allowed but encouraged patrons to bring their own wine. It resulted in increased business. There was a seperate liquer lic. category for these establishments.

The corkage charges were low. Many of small convenience stores, depanneurs, were open late and carried a good selection of wine. One could actually nip out in the same block and buy another bottle of wine.

Just because this practice is not common where someone happens to live does not mean that it is strange, unacceptable, whatever.

.... Wasn't there a thread recently about HAL changing the policy about bringing wine onboard....

I have been wondering about this. There hasn't been any mention lately, has there? I thought the consensus from "those in the know" was that the change would come just before the Alaska season begins, and that is coming up soon (very soon).

So we can all assume this was yet another rumor?

I have been wondering about this. There hasn't been any mention lately, has there? I thought the consensus from "those in the know" was that the change would come just before the Alaska season begins, and that is coming up soon (very soon).

We all know what happens when we 'assume'. :D :cool:

No, I don't think we can assume anything. Whenever/If HAL has anything to say, they likely will make it known.

We all know what happens when we 'assume'. :D :cool:

No, I don't think we can assume anything. Whenever/If HAL has anything to say, they likely will make it known.

True, wrong choice of word! :D

We do like to bring a few bottles of wine onboard, but never have brought more than 6 on a 2-week cruise. It's also nice to have the choice of buying local wines in some ports.

That said, we have never taken a glass of wine outside our cabin, and we buy our drinks at dinner and in lounges.

I've also noticed strong feelings against those of us who like to bring wine of our choice onboard -- words like "schlep", "cheap" and "two-buck chuck" come to mind. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Interesting how a large group can be painted so broadly.

You have never used those words -- others have though.

I can't imagine a reason for you to not plan to bring whatever wine you wish or to look forward to bringing wine back aboard when in port. No announcements have been made changing the policy so seems to be 'business as usual'. :)

I expect I will bring on board at least one good bottle of wine (say £20 each) for every night of our upcoming 7 day cruise, and will be happy to bear the corkage charge. I don't mind paying the price of a reasonable wine in a restaurant ashore, but wouldn't be happy to be paying $45 plus service for a bottle of Rosemount Shiraz in the MDR (which I last bought for a party by the box of 6 in the cash and carry at £4 a bottle), and whereas the restaurant trip is an occasional treat I can't afford to pay shipboard prices on every night of my cruise for the wines I would prefer to drink.

Paul S

I've never had a problem with people bringing wine onboard HAL, and we do it ourselves because it's allowed. If we're celebrating a special occasion and want a special wine, we'll bring it to the diningroom and pay the corkage fee.

I don't recall seeing anything on the HAL board about people being "cheap" or people "schleping" - but I've probably just missed those posts.

Where I have a problem are with the lines when you're not allowed to bring wine etc and there are all these posts about how to smuggle wine or booze on board and not get caught. I just don't understand that. You've chosen the cruiseline and know what their policies are. If you can't afford the amount of booze you intend to consume on your cruise and you have to smuggle it to save a few bucks - maybe you should save a little longer for your cruise. JMHO

I never assume anything - LOL:D I am just grateful that the current policy is in place for our cruise. I certainly will be picking up some vintages in France:D

I just count my blessings and take it from there;)

I can't imagine a reason for you to not plan to bring whatever wine you wish or to look forward to bringing wine back aboard when in port. No announcements have been made changing the policy so seems to be 'business as usual'. :)

Correct. Until an announcement is made from HAL, we plan to do just that.

I never assume anything - LOL:D I am just grateful that the current policy is in place for our cruise. I certainly will be picking up some vintages in France:D

I just count my blessings and take it from there;)

As do I :) Have a wonderful cruise!

I'm sorry you don't like the word "resent" Sail, but honestly, that's what has come across in all the posts about pax who bring their own wine onboard, which of course does not break any of HAL's rules - there's been lots of discussion on it.

I actually find some of the posts on the topic of bringing wine onboard to be borderline cruel.

In some of the posts I definitely read a subtle elitist and/or condescending tone. (Some other posts, not at all subtle, e.g. "schlepping", "2 buck chuck.) You know -- an undertone of "well if you can't afford the wine onboard, maybe you shouldn't cruise". (Not in all the posts, of course, but a good number of them, enough that they are noticeable.)

I truly hope that the posters who make those posts don't intend to be cruel. I hope it is simply that they inadvertently choose words that come across as judgmental and unpleasant.

I actually find some of the posts on the topic of bringing wine onboard to be borderline cruel.

In some of the posts I definitely read a subtle elitist and/or condescending tone. (Some other posts, not at all subtle, e.g. "schlepping", "2 buck chuck.) You know -- an undertone of "well if you can't afford the wine onboard, maybe you shouldn't cruise". (Not in all the posts, of course, but a good number of them, enough that they are noticeable.)

I truly hope that the posters who make those posts don't intend to be cruel. I hope it is simply that they inadvertently choose words that come across as judgmental and unpleasant.

They can judge me all they want!! I bring on wine in European ports; however, I refuse to pay the corkage fee .And, I am too "thrifty" to buy the HAL wine packages. I have no problem not drinking with dinner, or just ordering a glass of HAL wine! It has nothing to do with money....we cruise around 4 weeks/year. Money isn't my issue---I am careful with it, thus being able to sail in Europe yearly! Lots of people who live in affluent communities drink 2 buck chuck!! As much as I like wine, I don't need to overpay to drink it. I can go without (except in our cabin!) or drink what HAL serves. I think there is a lot less drinking on port intensive European cruises anyway, even at dinner.

Archived