My luggage lost weight...

BratDet

If you have never had to fly to a port, it is time to think about if you will ever have to...

Last year, I started weighing items, I was taking on my cruise...and put stuff on a diet...

I pick the lightest weight dresses to take...and tops...

Recently, I got an e-mail from New Balance with the craziest sneakers that appealed to me GREATLY....tie-dye 890v3....

list 109.99 (found them for 20% off)...they are soo fun!

I NEVER buy expensive shoes....unless they are deeply discounted..under 30$ is my usual for Anne Klein, etc..

.so this was a serious splurge...BUT

I am going to the Med this summer....and this pair is 8 ounces...

and the pair I took last year was 18 ounces....

How's that for serious rationalization? Leaves me room to take an extra pair of shoes....

Bernadette

wearing sneakers on the plane to Europe...

marks you clearly as an American...

so last year I wore my deck shoes....

while on plane...

I don't wear sneaks touring either....

But you are right!

Wear your heaviest pieces on your body..on the flight///

I know of many a young adult...going to Europe for teaching positions...wearing

lots and lots of layers onto the flight...to get more clothes overseas without having to pay for an extra bag.....hahahaha

BTW, even my e-reader got a lighter cover last year (for free with a free gift card from my Barnes & Noble credit card).....saved some serious ounces there...

Bernadette

The last few years whenever I've been shopping, I've noted the weight of the garment or shoes, always considering how much it will increase the total weight of my suitcase. Have you tried the Sketchers go-walk shoes? They are incredibly lightweight and are so very comfortable!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

while on plane...

Bernadette

If you want to wear sneaks in Europe, buy a pair of European sneaks! Buy a pair of Superga (Italy) or Bensimon (France) and you'll fit right in. Both have fantastic colors to choose from. I've got my Superga shoes and I think I'm going to hunt for a pair of Bensimons when I get to Paris.

They can tell you're an American even if you don't wear sneakers.

You're absolutely correct - maybe it has something to do with the fact that we walk in large groups who tend to congregate at famous sites snapping photos, or that we are wearing those ever so bright HAL tour numbers on our shirts. :rolleyes: As long as I am behaving appropriately I don't care if they know that I'm a tourist or not. Shoes should be comfortable.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I did even better - traded in my previous' so -called 'light' suitcase for an even lighter one! 29 incher by IT (international traveller) - whole thing weighs less than 6 lbs! (previous light one was almost 11 lbs - so I got an extra 5 lbs worth of clothes in there!

P.S. I'm canadian and I wear running shoes on the plane and touring! Perhaps I am being mistaken for an american!!! :D:D

not sure if I need to bother...didn't fall in love with what I have seen, gotta keep looking...what web site do you find them on? Think I need help finding a better selection...

When I was in Boston, we bought a pair of shoes made by a company specifically marketed as travel shoes to Europe that were as comfy as sneakers...gotta go find the name..

but since I am bringing just one pair of pants...those shoes won't go with shorts, etc....so they stay home...

I THINK...hahaha

I did a quick web search on the American sneaker thing...

I wasn't making this up...forgot to add the fanny pack and logo'ed t shirts to the mix...hahaha

Proud to be an American....just prefer to follow local customs...which reserve sneakers for tennis, exercise centers....

bernadette https://www.google.com/search?q=american+tourist+sneakers&aq=f&oq=american+tourist+sneakers&aqs=chrome.0.57.7663j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I did even better - traded in my previous' so -called 'light' suitcase for an even lighter one! 29 incher by IT (international traveller) - whole thing weighs less than 6 lbs! (previous light one was almost 11 lbs - so I got an extra 5 lbs worth of clothes in there!

P.S. I'm canadian and I wear running shoes on the plane and touring! Perhaps I am being mistaken for an american!!! :D:D

Get a Canadian flag sticker and put it on your new suitcase - the "modern" version of sewing the Canadian flag on your backpack back in the 70s :-)

Maybe I'm showing my age, but to me Supergas look like Keds! From a long long time ago.

Yeah, they look kind of like Keds and Sperry Topsiders. But, they are what they wear...

You can look at them on Zappos - they have just about all the colors. Or, go the superega-usa dot com website. If I was maybe a few years younger, I'd go for the black with studs version :)

The Bensimon tennis shoes have even more colors and some pretty crazy prints!

I'm taking my Supergas and one of my pairs of Jambu sandal/shoes. I really want to take my new distressed black engineer boots (thank you Steve Madden) to wear with my LBD 2 of the nights to dinner in Rome and with my jeans in Paris. But, they'd look a little funky with my yoga pants on the plane ;) I'm still struggling with this one.

marks you clearly as an American..

???? I do not understand this...sorry. I am proud to be an American. Why would I care who knew I was an American? I don't get it. :confused::confused::confused:

I think it just means that American tourists might stick out a bit more.

The "vision" of American tourists (usually male) abroad is sandals or sneakers with white sports socks pulled up to the knees with shorts or sneakers and jeans. Oh and normally a baseball cap thrown in for good measure.

Where I come from, it is considered a faux pas to wear jeans and sneakers that you would run in or go to the gym in. However saying that the younger generation wear jeans and some sort of "trendy" sneaker but it isn't something designed to work out in, it is just for fashion maybe like Converse?

This is a light hearted look at it http://www.wikihow.com/Avoid-Looking-Like-an-American-Tourist. The last paragraph sums up how you feel.

Lastly and being serious for a minute, I always find it better to try to blend in where you can whilst abroad.

I wear sneakers on the plane and I'm Australian. Does this then mark me as an American? Will I be treated differently?

I have always made my Husband wear his heaviest shoes on the plane but now he is unfortunately more inclined to wear his crocks!!!

while on plane...

But you are right!

Wear your heaviest pieces on your body..on the flight///

I know of many a young adult...going to Europe for teaching positions...wearing

lots and lots of layers onto the flight...to get more clothes overseas without having to pay for an extra bag.....hahahaha

BTW, even my e-reader got a lighter cover last year (for free with a free gift card from my Barnes & Noble credit card).....saved some serious ounces there...

Bernadette

Wearing sneakers in Europe in general marks you are American.

There are trainers, running shoes, etc., and then there are sneakers. Sneakers aren' t meant to be worn for athletics, but for fun and fashion.

When my bag (a 25" Osprey Sojourn) was weighed at the airport yesterday, it was 26 lbs!!!! That is for my 10 days in Italy. I did bring my boots - they didn't look funky at all with my yoga pants.

I've never been a fan of sneakers - or any shoes with laces - when flying, becasue I'm looking for ease of going through security. I get very annoyed when people in front of my hold up the line. lol

I also travel in jeans or 'real' pants, becasue I can't stand looking like I'm wearing PJs out in public, so I'm a bit of an odd duck. hehe

If you want to wear sneaks in Europe, buy a pair of European sneaks! Buy a pair of Superga (Italy) or Bensimon (France) and you'll fit right in. Both have fantastic colors to choose from. I've got my Superga shoes and I think I'm going to hunt for a pair of Bensimons when I get to Paris.

I'd rather wear my American sneakers and be labeled an American/tourist than wear those! Both look like a version of a cross between Keds and Converse, and not even a cool funky way. Maybe their comfort could partially override the look?

Now, for comfy walking shoes, I'll take my Privos or Clarks with the Wave sole any day! And they don't look like sneakers or athletic shoes at all.

Archived