Menton: East of Monaco, Detailed London News Story

TLCOhio

From the London Telegraph newspaper and their travel section last weekend, they have this headline: "Menton, France: a cultural city guide". Their writer visits the French Riviera town that became the "de rigueur winter resort" for the British upper classes of the mid-19th century with these highlights: "It may be the single passion that I share with Queen Victoria: whenever I see Menton my heart skips a beat. When the widowed monarch arrived in 1882, Menton already had 5,000 British residents busy building mansions and planting tropical gardens. In Europe’s mildest climate, sheltered by the high Maritime Alps, oranges and lemons bloom even in winter (it’s said that Menton’s first lemons were planted by Eve). Picture-postcard pretty, year-round seaside sunshine, Menton is where the British inadvertently invented the French Riviera. The medieval old town was founded by pirates and warren-like alleys still bear their names. The princes of Monaco owned Menton for six centuries, taxing lemons to fund their sumptuous palace. But Monaco squeezed the pips too hard. In 1848 Menton established a republic, uniting in 1860 with Louis Napoleon’s France. The Quai Bonaparte, built by the emperor on 16 giant arches, harbours scores of seaside restaurants, irresistible for lunch. Dr Henry Bennet believed he was dying and Menton seemed ideal for expiring in the sun. Within weeks he felt better, possibly even immortal. His book, Mentone and the Riviera as a Winter Climate, sped through six editions. The TB-ravaged upper classes rushed to test the miracle: see Menton and live!"

Fun and interesting history, plus other background is outlined in this report. A number of pictures are included, plus hotel, dining, etc., suggestions. As detailed below in my live/blog, we visited Menton and very much enjoyed the town, its history, charm and character. Not too crowded or congested. Below are a few of my picture highlights. More can be seen by connecting below to see my full report.

DID YOU KNOW ITEM?: Menton is exactly halfway between Paris and Rome. A fountain marks the spot.

Full story at:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/france/10006430/Menton-France-a-cultural-city-guide.html

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 128,344 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Menton is to the east of Monaco and right next to the Italy border. It is a charming seaside town without the crowds and congestion seen in some of the larger coastal towns.:

MentonStatueBldgsDowntown.jpg

To the west of Menton’s central town, here is the view of the beach and newer, nearby residential structures.:

MentonBeachShore.jpg

Menton is known for its citrus products and here’s a example of those wonderful products.:

MentonCitrusDisplay.jpg

This is Menton’s historic fortress structure that sits along its coast.:

MentonFortress.jpg

From the beach area of Menton, here is the view for the various church towers, buildings and palms in this coastal town.:

MentonTownTowersTrees.jpg

Here is another sampling of central Menton art, gardens, design, ceramic wall designs.:

MentonWhiteStatuteBldg.jpg

I have posted quite a bit about Menton over the years as I spent some time there.It really is a nice place to visit,relax,explore,and there is a lotto do in the area. It is not a cruise destination as there are more touristy spots,but I really like this place.

• 5 years later...
36 minutes ago, marazul said:

Please, Terry! We are trying to keep it a secret!🤐😉

Sorry!!  Guilty as charged.  Yes, part of the great charm and attraction with Menton is that the tourist masses focus more on Monaco, etc.  Appreciate your reminding me to behave better in the future.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

For our latest live/blog, see “Greece, Holy Lands, Egypt, Dubai, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East.  Check it at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

Au Contraire :).   We will confess that we have twice stayed in Menton,  when on driving trip between Italy and France.  Yes, it is a charming town and we enjoy just strolling around.   However, we much prefer staying in nearby France (especially Nice or a small town such as Eze) because of the food/wine.  As much as we enjoyed Menton, we were not overwhelmed with the dining choices.

Hank

Now, Hank, you do know Menton is in France.  If you mean Ventimiglia right across the border, I agree.  (I do get to disagree with you sometimes :classic_biggrin:)

Menton is lovely for a few relaxing days and there are many nice restaurants there.   It is also a great base to explore Apricale, Dolceacqua and many other Italian villages as well as Sospel and Breil in the French side.  The new Cocteau museum is certainly worth visiting.  But it is definitely a low key place.   

Next time you are driving through, you can do "the espresso experiment" and compare French and Italian coffee.  While the French espresso in Menton is really good, you can drive 20 minutes into Ventimiglia and be in Italian coffee heaven.    

No, I understand that Menton is just across the border in France.  I should have been more specific that we prefer staying in the France west of  Monte Carlo :).   We know some Canadians that also have told us they really liked Menton.  It is just not our cup of tea (or coffee).  Agree that Italian coffee is wonderful.  I use only Lavazza beans in my espresso machine at home and also like Illy.  Over the years, DW and I have spent more time in Italy then in France...although both countries are very high on our "like" list.  

As to Ventimiglia, we have never stayed in that town..although we have stopped there for lunch and driven the area.

Hank

• 4 months later...
17 hours ago, Cruise Junky said:

As a side note, the best restaurant in the world was just named.....and it’s in Menton

https://time.com/5614175/mirazur-menton-france-worlds-best-restaurant/

we've never stayed there but have been 3 or 4 times for the day. Quite like it. 

Great news for Menton.  Appreciate your posting and sharing here.  Getting ready in just a couple of weeks to be heading to western Canada and seeing your wonderful city of Vancouver for the first time.  Will be there for three days before boarding our cruise ship on July 25 to sail north to Alaska.  Any special dining locations and/or other key, secret tips for Vancouver?

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!  Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture.  This posting is now at 83,869 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

4 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

Great news for Menton.  Appreciate your posting and sharing here.  Getting ready in just a couple of weeks to be heading to western Canada and seeing your wonderful city of Vancouver for the first time.  Will be there for three days before boarding our cruise ship on July 25 to sail north to Alaska.  Any special dining locations and/or other key, secret tips for Vancouver?

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!  Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture.  This posting is now at 83,869 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

I'm a big Granville island Fan.  For dining, I really like Nightingale on Burrard. And Hawksworth is probably the best restaurant in Vancouver (same chef)

17 hours ago, Cruise Junky said:

I'm a big Granville island Fan.  For dining, I really like Nightingale on Burrard. And Hawksworth is probably the best restaurant in Vancouver (same chef)

Appreciate these great suggestions and this helpful follow-up.  YES, Granville Island is at the top of the priority list for exploring during our time in Vancouver.  Did check more on these two excellent dining suggestions.  I have added them to our potential list.  Both sound very good.  Keep it coming with any other tips and ideas for this wonderful city that is so justifiably popular. 

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 46,205 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337