Hotels to stay before cruise in oahu hawaii

CookieRocki

What hotel do you recommend for a one night stay before cruise in Hawaii?

Most hotels in Oahu are located in and around Waikiki.The best is to go to the Hawaii tourism site and search for hotels . Other Trip Adviser is good place to start . Depending on the time of year hotels are relatively expensive compared to the Continental US.

We've stayed at the Marriott both times. It's not the best price on the hotel strip, but if you're sailing NCL, it has the NCL welcome room on site. We were able to check in for our cruise, sign up for the Pearl Harbor tour before joining our cruise, we could have booked all our shore excursions/dining if we hadn't already, we got the NCL shuttle to the pier. It was just very easy for us. They also have a car rental agency on site, so after our cruise, we got dropped off back at the Marriott and picked up a car. Luggage was all handled for us too. The one thing I didn't like is that if you book it through the cruise lines, you don't get your Marriott points. Also, the restaurants on site are pretty pricy, so we skipped that, especially the breakfast. I think a bowl of granola with fruit was $25. They do have a nice bar/patio on one of the upper floors that had a great view.

If you military, retired military, or a DoD employee, I'd recommend the Hale Koa hotel on Waikiki, or if you want something a little more peaceful and rustic, try the beach cottages at Bellow Air Force Station on the Windward side of Oahu.

As was mentioned above, almost all accommodations on Oahu are located in the Waikiki area, although there is a giant Marriott complex and a Disney Vacation Club hotel on the Leeward side near Kapolei, about a half hour (in good traffic) from Honolulu. Turtle Bay on the North Shore, about an hour from Honolulu is gorgeous, but pretty pricey. If you saw "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" that is the hotel it was filmed at.

Whatever you decide, make sure to check many sites as prices can very widely for the same property.

You have many many options.

But let me first explain "ocean view" - that does NOT mean a room from which you can view the ocean. It means a room that points somewhat towards the ocean. "Superior ocean view" or "Deluxe ocean view" gives you a better chance - but nothing is guaranteed. Likewise, "Penthouse" does not mean the top floor. And "Free coffee" doesn't mean free coffee. Watch the notices about "resort fees" and parking - which in total will add about $50 / night.

You can stay in Waikiki for the ultimate busy beach / night life experience. The hotels up the beach (Hilton Hawaiian Village, Royal Hawaiian) are the top picks in the $400/night range. At the other end of Waikiki I've stayed at the Aston (recommended) at just recently at the Marriott Spa (not recommended). The rooms will not impress you - they are run down and small. You are paying to be within walking distance of the action.

In my opinion, the hotels that are two blocks off the beach are just as nice and half the price.

We also just stayed at the Marriott Beach Club in Ko Olina. Same price ranges (or less, depending on your room selection), but here you will find a room worth the price - and the views are just as amazing and there are four protected coves to swim & snorkel in. This is a resort area (collocated with Disney and another time share, and a Marriott hotel) so there is no Waikiki night life. Restaurants are worth it - very good but expensive ($20-$40 dinners). Great pools for swimming. This is a time share - someone said if you listen to their 90 minute pitch, you can stay the week there for around $1000 and get tickets to their luau. Hilton is running a similar deal but I've not stayed at their facility.

I like the Hilton Hawaiian Village.

Keith

I do too, just not the price! There used to be a little 2-story motel type hotel called the Waikikian, right next door to the Hilton that we stayed at and shared the Hilton Lagoon. Alas, Hilton bought it out and all the land is now part of the Hilton Complex.

My last two visits, I rented a house from vrbo. But with OP wanting just 1 night, Waikiki Hotels are the best bet. Ilikai has a special on for the room and a compact car for $198. And I think they also share the Hilton Lagoon.

We've stayed at the Marriott both times. It's not the best price on the hotel strip, but if you're sailing NCL, it has the NCL welcome room on site. We were able to check in for our cruise, sign up for the Pearl Harbor tour before joining our cruise, we could have booked all our shore excursions/dining if we hadn't already, we got the NCL shuttle to the pier. It was just very easy for us. They also have a car rental agency on site, so after our cruise, we got dropped off back at the Marriott and picked up a car. Luggage was all handled for us too. The one thing I didn't like is that if you book it through the cruise lines, you don't get your Marriott points. Also, the restaurants on site are pretty pricy, so we skipped that, especially the breakfast. I think a bowl of granola with fruit was $25. They do have a nice bar/patio on one of the upper floors that had a great view.

Do you have an opportunity to do a tour before boarding the ship or is there a set time that you have to get on the NCL shuttle to the pier? Since they handle the luggage for you, are you luggage free until it arrives in your room on the ship?

We stayed at the Aqua Palms, right across Ala Moana from Hilton Hawaiian Village. You can go to Hilton's shops and fireworks, walk both directions for more shopping and restaurants, and the beach is only a block away. McDonalds, IHOP, BW's, and Outback are all within a block, and so are two ABC stores.

• 2 weeks later...
I do too, just not the price! There used to be a little 2-story motel type hotel called the Waikikian, right next door to the Hilton that we stayed at and shared the Hilton Lagoon. Alas, Hilton bought it out and all the land is now part of the Hilton Complex.

My last two visits, I rented a house from vrbo. But with OP wanting just 1 night, Waikiki Hotels are the best bet. Ilikai has a special on for the room and a compact car for $198. And I think they also share the Hilton Lagoon.

FYI. The Hilton Lagoon is open for public use.

Discount Hotels Hawaii has a very good map of Waikiki hotels: http://www.discounthotelshawaii.com/waikikimap.html

If you want to be in center of Waikiki action then you would want to be more towards the middle around where Outrigger Waikiki Beach is (number 49 on the hotel map). Ilikai (number 3 on map) is at one end of Waikiki while Waikiki Marriott (number 71 on map) is at the other end.

I also recommend that you go to TripAdvisor Oahu forum and post this question there. Include what you would like to do on your pre-cruise day, your hotel budget, and what kind of atmosphere and amenities you like (romantic, ocean front, pool, etc) and you will get many good suggestions.

I like the Hilton Hawaiian Village.

Keith

We stayed there one night pre-cruise too. YEARS ago, we had stayed for a week there. We knew the prices would be high but it's one night, on the beach and is beautiful with restaurants, shops, and you can have breakfast on outdoors looking onto the beach. Royal Hawaiian is also an unbelievable hotel..especially if you are only staying one night. We were picked up early the next morning for Pearl Harbor and then dropped off at the ship, along with our luggage, which stayed on the bus. It made it simple and stress free.

• 2 years later...

I am looking for opinions on the following hotels. One night to possibly two night stay. Ideally would like to stay at Marriott with Norwegian benefits but that is expensive.

- Ohana Waikiki East

- Ambassador Hotel Waikiki

-Aqua Aloha Surf Waikiki

- The Equus

- Coconut Waikiki Hotel

-Waikiki Resort Hotel

I am looking for opinions on the following hotels. One night to possibly two night stay. Ideally would like to stay at Marriott with Norwegian benefits but that is expensive.

- Ohana Waikiki East

- Ambassador Hotel Waikiki

-Aqua Aloha Surf Waikiki

- The Equus

- Coconut Waikiki Hotel

-Waikiki Resort Hotel

We were going to stay at the Coconut Waikiki Hotel for 3 pre-cruise nights, but it's too far from the beach. Same goes for the others on the list (checked them all out on-line). We're staying at the Aston Waikiki Beach, which is near the Marriott and close to the beach, but a lot less.

-Ohana Waikiki East

-Ambassador Hotel Waikiki

-Aqua Aloha Surf Waikiki

-The Equus

-Coconut Waikiki Hotel

-Waikiki Resort Hotel

There is no hotel in Waikiki that is "too far" from the beach. Look at the hotel map below.

http://www.obrhi.com/Portals/0/CISSFlashPlayers/Files/Waikiki-50.jpg

All of Waikiki is barely a half mile wide.

Of the hotels listed the Coconut Waikiki is the best with the Waikiki Resort Hotel being the next best probably.

I'd avoid the Equus and Ambassador.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60982-d86966-Reviews-Coconut_Waikiki_Hotel-Honolulu_Oahu_Hawaii.html

I am going to recommend one I haven't seen discussed on this thread

http://www.ilima.com/

We used it for the same purpose as the OP, ie, just to stay overnight before our flight home. When we were there there was some construction going on, but, it was clean and comfortable, and a 2-block walk down to Kalkua Ave,where there some good, reasonably priced restaurants

For transportation, we used

http://www.ilimatours.com/

(Not associated with the hotel, just have the same name)

When we were there, they had discount coupons in the rooms. You may want to pickup a copy of the Entertainment.com book for Honolulu, although, if only there for one night, it may not make up what you spend on it. 2 nights of more, I would definately get the book

Thanks for the tip. It is not the 4 seasons but has good reviews. It is clean and safe those are the most important. A ten min. or so walk to the beach. It is cheaper than the Coconut Waikiki. I hope to have a 21" carry on and a large tote so I plan to take the public bus from airport.

I am going to recommend one I haven't seen discussed on this thread

http://www.ilima.com/

We used it for the same purpose as the OP, ie, just to stay overnight before our flight home. When we were there there was some construction going on, but, it was clean and comfortable, and a 2-block walk down to Kalkua Ave,where there some good, reasonably priced restaurants

For transportation, we used

http://www.ilimatours.com/

(Not associated with the hotel, just have the same name)

When we were there, they had discount coupons in the rooms. You may want to pickup a copy of the Entertainment.com book for Honolulu, although, if only there for one night, it may not make up what you spend on it. 2 nights of more, I would definately get the book

Edited by Cruiseoholic000

Thanks for the tip. It is not the 4 seasons but has good reviews. It is clean and safe those are the most important. A ten min. or so walk to the beach. It is cheaper than the Coconut Waikiki. I hope to have a 21" carry on and a large tote so I plan to take the public bus from airport.

I would check the rules on TheBus about luggage.

http://www.thebus.org/howtoride/RulesReg.asp?l=

• 2 weeks later...

For our last night, we stayed at the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani because the price couldn't be beaten! It's an older building, but it was clean and the staff was wonderful. It gets mixed reviews, but it was absolutely perfect for our family! There are a few pictures in my review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2252994