Transatlantic east or west?

gordylad

For you, it might be fun to do a westbound ta.

Relax on the ride over, Get 25 hour days instead of 23. Then when you arrive in Florida, the weather is gorgeous here and you might enjoy a vacation here if time permits.

Loved our westbound TA, BCN to FLL. We did all our traveling and touring on the front end, and then had 7 glorious 25 hour days to relax before hitting FL. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

See if there is any serious disparity in airfare in one direction or the other.

There is that whole "time change" thing being gentler in one direction or the other (eastbound ship vs air.)

The Westbound is easier for those living in the US. Not sure if it would be easier for you too, but the problem with the eastbound is that you're constantly going to be later and later and later. It was frustrating going to bed and knowing I was 'losing' sleep every night.

Depends on what you do on either end. From the US, we like to go eastbound and end up in Europe with no jet-lag. Then we tour around.:rolleyes:

We just returned from our first TA from Tampa to Barcelona on Ryndam. I had read the pros and cons of both directions, but have noticed that the east bound have had some really give away kind of deals, so went for that.

As others have said, I would work off of price and best timing for you. I think the only disadvantage I saw in the one going east is that every couple of days, you feel like you are getting up an hour earlier. It isn't a big issue when out to sea, but I know many had that as one of their least favorite reasons for going east. It's really not that big of a deal, but when you are losing an hour every couple of days until you lose six in such a short time, it can wear you out. SURELY not a reason to pick one direction over the other. But I do think that next time I will try the other direction so I can compare myself. In reality, the Ryndam was SUCH an amazing ship to be on for this direction that I wouldn't change a thing. Enjoy!

Yikes...I thought I was in the HAL threads. My bad. My answer is still the same regarding east and west. I just wouldn't have been talking about a HAL ship on a Celebrity board.

I love Celebrity too, so it's really about my comment about the ship from a different line. Smooth seas and happy sailing to all.

Tough call... Ultimately to me, money talks more than the ancillary perks of which direction is better.

If airfare and cruisefare are equal, I'd choose westbound so I could avoid the tougher jet lag (east-bound redeyes are better), and enjoy the longer days on the ship.

25 hr days make the westbound more attractive

BUT

1)it's more fun to wear yourself out first and enjoy the relaxation on the way home

and

2)If cost is an issue,In my experience cheap one way flights are a lot easier

to find originating in the UK than the US

We've done a dozen TAs, half east- and half west-bound. The time change doesn't bother us either way. Our determining factors are price (we've found the east-bound usually better priced) and itinerary on the Europe end. The Caribbean holds zero interest for us so those itineraries that have Caribbean ports at this end are quickly eliminated.

We've done 3 eastbound TAs, & while I guess it would be nice to gain, rather than lose 5 or 6 hours, on the other hand, with the ships returning to the US later each year, we feel the weather would be warmer for the spring sailing, in addition the more hours of sunlight. Not so sure I want to be on the Atlantic in late fall. Also, while there are no guarantees with the weather, we have been very lucky with calm seas on all of our crossings.

WE have done 3 TAs, one eastbound and 2 westbound. We prefer the westbound. There is no problem with jet lag, and the last days at see are very relaxing.

We have done both and we agree with you!!! Westbound TA has better weather and you relax more without the negative time changes. The only problem is possibly hitting hurricane season....

We have done both and we agree with you!!! Westbound TA has better weather and you relax more without the negative time changes. The only problem is possibly hitting hurricane season....

The OP is from the UK. I would think there would be less jet lag flying from Europe to the US vs. an overnight flight from the US to Europe.

Fly to the U.S. then TA back to Europe - no jet lag, and the weather in late April/early May is pretty good.

I'm doing my first TA next year. I have read these comments here and before. I find it hard to believe that the time change matters all that much in either direction. Really? You notice a big difference? You have to pay the time difference price one way or another on a round trip basis, so its hard for me to imagine that this is a big problem one a one hour a day basis. Also, as I plan to travel east for my first TA, I am looking forward to arriving for my most intense touring without any jet lag once I get there. Isn't that a good thing? Also, traveling eastward allows me a week to relax, convince myself I'm not at work, stay excited as I anticipate the place's I'll see at the end, whereas if they were at the beginning I'd have the excitement all done and over with a week left on the ship still. I'm not saying westward is bad, just that there are ways to sell going in either direction.

- Joel

We did a west bound this past November, and just did a east bound

I found the weather was much better 25c to 30c sunshine, sunsets at 8:30 - 9, compared 15c to 20c and rain, sunset at 5:30

I like losing an hour sleeping in, as compared to gain an hour getting up early

But we are going give westbound another chance this fall :D

I'm doing my first TA next year. I have read these comments here and before. I find it hard to believe that the time change matters all that much in either direction. Really? You notice a big difference? You have to pay the time difference price one way or another on a round trip basis, so its hard for me to imagine that this is a big problem one a one hour a day basis. Also, as I plan to travel east for my first TA, I am looking forward to arriving for my most intense touring without any jet lag once I get there. Isn't that a good thing? Also, traveling eastward allows me a week to relax, convince myself I'm not at work, stay excited as I anticipate the place's I'll see at the end, whereas if they were at the beginning I'd have the excitement all done and over with a week left on the ship still. I'm not saying westward is bad, just that there are ways to sell going in either direction.

- Joel

Ha! I am laughing at this because last month I was thinking the same as you. An hour. Like how much damage can this hour do, one little hour? I didn't know what people were talking about with the "losing an hour" business. Lesson learned. We just got off the Equinox spring transatlantic a day ago and I will tell you that hour is a big deal!

Here's the scenario. You're at the show and the Cruise Director says at the end that you have to set your clocks forward at midnight so your 12:00 am becomes 1:00 am. Fine. You go to bed and wake up seven hours later like you usually do, get ready for the day, eat your breakfast, and head off that 9:15 am lecture you've been wanting to hear. You're even early enough to grab a good seat (the lecture rooms are always full on TAs just to give you some advance warning). Except that you get there and the lecture is nearly finished because you didn't really get up at 7:00 am per usual; you got up at 8:00 am.

You do, of course, have two options for this scenario not to have an unhappy ending. You can cut short your evening fun at the Martini Bar by an hour and not miss your beauty sleep. Or you can enjoy a nice evening with your friends and sacrifice the zzzzz's. Either way that pesky one hour is going to get you, one way or another. ;)

Regarding the loss of an hour a day for a number of days, that has never bothered us, after all you are on vacation, what difference does it make when you go to bed or get up? And how hard is it to change your clock? Hasn't been a problem for us.

Regarding the loss of an hour a day for a number of days, that has never bothered us, after all you are on vacation, what difference does it make when you go to bed or get up? And how hard is it to change your clock? Hasn't been a problem for us.

I think its more of a problem with people not willing to change there routine.

A transatlantic is on my to do list. We will probably want to sail back to the UK into Southampton (Eastbound). The reason is to do with shopping! I like to shop in the USA and think it would be great to not have to worry about the luggage allowance on the plane. A couple of days shopping and I could easily fill another suitcase to bring home.

The time difference either way will not bother us. DH has a job which involves working a different time each day (or night)

Archived