Transatlantic east or west?

gordylad

I'm doing my first TA next year. I have read these comments here and before. I find it hard to believe that the time change matters all that much in either direction. Really? You notice a big difference? You have to pay the time difference price one way or another on a round trip basis, so its hard for me to imagine that this is a big problem one a one hour a day basis. Also, as I plan to travel east for my first TA, I am looking forward to arriving for my most intense touring without any jet lag once I get there. Isn't that a good thing? Also, traveling eastward allows me a week to relax, convince myself I'm not at work, stay excited as I anticipate the place's I'll see at the end, whereas if they were at the beginning I'd have the excitement all done and over with a week left on the ship still. I'm not saying westward is bad, just that there are ways to sell going in either direction.

- Joel

We found that the loss of one hour every night instead of the gain of one hour was a a definite disadvantage. So, yes, for us it is a big disadvantage cruising eastbound from the U.S. We find that we recover from all night flights upon arrival in Europe pretty fast and enjoy arriving home with no jet lag on Westbound TAs. To be fair, though, we live on the East Coast and have the option of non stop flights to Europe and if flying to the UK, can even take an "all day" flight when flying Eastbound transatlantic.

My preference would be eastbound.

I don't suffer jetlag flying from here to the US, but I do suffer after flights from the US to here (I don't sleep well on planes), so that would be the direction I would choose to do slowly, on the ship.

Whichever direction, have a great time! :)

Easy decision-- go both ways, and figure it out for yourself.

We've done this for a number of years, and still trying to figure it out.

Sound advice, based on impeccable logic, confirmed by the selfless endurance of grueling personal experience. :D

Nicely done! ;)

I, too, am diligently collecting an ever increasing data base upon which to form my ultimate decision. (I'll get back to ya in another 10-15 cruises. :p)

I think its more of a problem with people not willing to change there routine.

How could you POSSIBLY suggest such a thing? :confused:

People unwilling to CHANGE?!? :eek:

Surly NOT! :rolleyes:

If I ever do a transatlantic I will go the opposite way from home. The reason... shopping!! It will be great to buy everything I want and not having to deal with extra baggage fees!!:):)

We took our first TA last spring, eastbound on the Eclipse. We loved the ship, the sea days (love sea days!) and the crossing, but while some folks scoff at that "losing an hour" thing, it was real. Losing an hour almost every day turned out to get pretty wearing. Being TA newbies, we did make the mistake of committing to a progressive trivia team at 10am, and we had late dining, and those compounded the effect of the lost hours.

That said, we are now booked on a westbound TA for this fall, and we're looking forward to the 25-hour days! :)

I mentioned this thread to my partner, who said the best reason for going westbound is that if you have the premium beverage package, you'll have 2 additional hours per day (on most days) than you do on the eastbound in which to drink. ;):)

I mentioned this thread to my partner, who said the best reason for going westbound is that if you have the premium beverage package, you'll have 2 additional hours per day (on most days) than you do on the eastbound in which to drink. ;):)

Physiologically sound reasoning. That pesky alcohol metabolism thing doesn't know to advance an hour ahead.

Archived