Dining PG vs late dining vs open seating?

tamsocal

so.... early dining is closed for my cruise and Ship services states waitlist is highly unlikely to clear. We love the formal dining and fixed seating. Makes it easier with the kids-- same waiter, they are creatures of habit, mostly eat the same thing, drink the same drinks. get to know the dining staff, etc.

Open seating doesn't really sound great to me & eating late cannot happen with the kids. THey want to go to club form 7-10p and also eat typically between 5-7p.

Was thinking I could possibly solve this by dining in PG every night?

DS wants to know if they still have chocolate lava cake

If I book Pinnacle Grill every night of the cruise at the same time, is it likely that I will possibly get the same server each night? Do the servers change out daily in PG or stay the same all week long?

What about the menu? its been several years..... does the menu change during the week or will it be the same every night (minus cirque)

On our last princess cruise there were so many people that wanted early dining- they ended up converting half of the open seating to fixed seating to accommodate waitlist -- does this ever happen on HAL?

how easy is it to get open seating advance reservations if we ask on first day?

Open Seating is from 5:15 - 9. You can make reservations for times between 5:15 - 6:15 and 7:30 - 9. Begining on day one you can make reservations for up to 3 days at a time. And if you like your table and waiters, you can request to have the same table and wait staff each night.

Pinnacle Grill opens at 5:30 -- doubt if you could get done by 7 for the children to get to Club HAL. Yes -- the Pinnacle still has the chocolate volcano cake. Even though we may have the same table when we dine at the Pinnacle, we do not always have the same people waiting on us. They rotate them around the Pinnacle.

The only time HAL will change the lower level of the dining room from Open Seating is usually when there is a charter. Otherwise, HAL does not change Open Seating to accommondate wait lists.

Pinnacle Menu - $25 per person -- can be booked online, via Ship Services at 1-800-541-1576 or once on the ship

The Beginning:

Spicy Chicken Coconut Soup - fragrant coconut milk & lemon grass

Lobster Bisque - crème fraiche & aged sherry

Jumbo Shrimp Cocktail - brandy horseradish cocktail sauce

Vine Ripened Beefsteak Tomato Salad - sliced purple onion, balsamic vinaigrette or blue cheese dressing

Baby Arugula Salad - tossed with sliced red onion, cherry tomatoes, mushrooms and a warm bacon dressing topped with smoked bacon & chopped egg

Caesar Salad - crisp romaine tossed with very own Caesar dressing, grated parmesan cheese, garlic croutons and anchovies, prepared tableside

Dungeness Crab Cakes - spiral shaved cucumber & sweet chili-mustard sauce

Pinnacle Ocean Platter - carpaccio of lightly smoked salmon, accompanied with hot smoked salmon, sea scallops and wasabi cream

The Intrique:

Land & Sea - master chef Rudi Saloman’s interpretation of Surf & Turf - filet mignon and jumbo prawns on whipped potatoes with garlic, rosemary beurre blanc

Lobster Macaroni & Cheese - chef’s favorite: a delicate gratineed combination of mascarpone-enriched pasta and creamy lobster broth with chunks of lobster

Roasted vegetable tower -- with onion confit and tomato coulis

The Grill:

Filet Mignon, New York Strip Steak, Bone-In Rib Eye Steak, Porterhouse - served with our own hand crafted sauces: sun-dried tomato; Master Chef's green peppercorn bearnaise; horseradish mustard; hollandaise; maitre d' garlic butter

Lamb Chops - spiced apple chutney & fresh mint jelly

Grilled Veal Chop - marinated overnight in a savory blend of rosemary, garlic & pepper vinegar with scallions

Chicken Breast - stuffed with spinach & garlic herb cheese & served with lemon garlic beurre blanc sauce

Filet Steak Diane - pan-seared medallions of beef tenderloins & enriched with mushrooms & cognac

Wagyu Beef Burger - a half-pound of freshly ground beef, fin herbs & truffle-infused

Sea Food:

Broiled King Salmon - troll caught (for sustainability) in Alaskan waters, quick seared & broiled, served with your choice of lemon garlic herb splash or sesame-soy kalbi

Broiled or Poached Lobster Tail - on a bed of wilted spinach & arugula, mustard seed & "mangochurri" pesto sauce or melted butter

Cedar Planked Halibut with Shrimp Scampi - roasted garlic & cilantro butter

Pinnacle Signature Skewers:

Beef Delight - beef tenderloin marinated with parsley, onion, thyme, rosemary & marjoram

Tantalizing Lamb - lamb loins marinated with herbs, garlic, cumin, honey, coriandor & red chilies, served with yogurt sauce

Vegetarian Zen - array of mixed vegetables seasoned with herbs de provence

Side Dishes:

Creamed Spinach, Sautéed Button Mushrooms, Sautéed Onions, Asparagus, Scalloped, Whipped, Jumbo Baked or Shoestring Potatoes and/or Basmati Rice

The Finale:

Not-So-Classic Baked Alaska,

Warm Grand Marnier Chocolate Volcano Cake,

Velvet Soufflé – Chocolate or Vanilla, Creamy

Homemade Raspberry Cheesecake,

Chocolate And Raisin Bread Pudding,

Pinnacle Crème Brulee,

Fresh Seasonal Fruits and Berries,

Premium Ice Cream or Sorbets and/or the Assortment of International Cheeses.

Based on what you describe I would suggest open seating but make an early reservation, say 6:00. You should not have a problem getting a table immediately at that time. The reservation will allow you to enjoy the benefits of the same servers.

The only time HAL will change the lower level of the dining room from Open Seating is usually when there is a charter. Otherwise, HAL does not change Open Seating to accommondate wait lists.

Perhaps you are thinking of big groups? On charters they can do whatever they want with dining arrangements (within reason, of course!). We have all Open Dining on both levels of the dining room on RSVP charters.

We were in the same boat with our son. Our solution wouldn't really help you as your kiddies enjoy the MDR (ours is not so keen on it) but it has worked for us. We take our son to the lido and all sit down for his dinner and we sample and nibble and have good family time sharing the fun we had that day. He then scoots off to the kid's club and we make late dining reservations for just me and dh in open seating. Usually have time for a nice cocktail before going to the MDR. Works out well for us. :) Hope you all have a lovely cruise :)

KK, is this the latest menu? Last year they had (and I ordered) a turkey/chicken skewer - no more? Also, I think I read the cost for PG has gone up to $30 (?).

Yes -- this is the most recent Pinnacle menu -- we got off the Westerdam on April 6.

Price was $25 per person.

There are only 2 Skewers listed on the menu -- but the vegetarian one I listed is also available.

Perhaps you are thinking of big groups? On charters they can do whatever they want with dining arrangements (within reason, of course!). We have all Open Dining on both levels of the dining room on RSVP charters.

We have been on cruises when there were big groups -- like about 800 - 1000 and the Lower level remained as Open Seating.

So maybe HAL changes things depending on the type of charter?

We were in the same boat with our son. Our solution wouldn't really help you as your kiddies enjoy the MDR (ours is not so keen on it) but it has worked for us. We take our son to the lido and all sit down for his dinner and we sample and nibble and have good family time sharing the fun we had that day. He then scoots off to the kid's club and we make late dining reservations for just me and dh in open seating. Usually have time for a nice cocktail before going to the MDR. Works out well for us. :) Hope you all have a lovely cruise :)

That is a great plan!!

We have been on cruises when there were big groups -- like about 800 - 1000 and the Lower level remained as Open Seating.

I can recall the cruise following ours was a gambling cruse. The DRM was in a panic as part of the dining room was set up with card tables and he was expected to feed the masses with one level, and what was left of the other level.

Open dining is really not that bad IMO. You can even reserve a table during certain early hours and may be able to do it for the entire week if you ask (onboard).

I like the open dining option if we have several late port departures, that way we are not rushed to get back in the ship for early dining. Also, you get to meet a number of very nice and interesting people (helps if you are a bit outgoing of course). Beats getting stuck with the same people all week (if you do not seem to get along).

DaveOKC

There is a difference between groups on regular cruises and charters of the whole ship.

With large group they may take up one whole level of the dining room and thne the rest of the people seem to be all stuck with fixed dining, or they could take both levels for one sitting and everyone else gets only early or only late.

Charters can arrange whatever dining option they want. On RSVP cruises a few years ago they had one level open seating during fixed times (early or late; not the same table every night) and the other level was open, anytime. Lately we have open seating on both levels.

THis is excellent and would be great if I had DH with me :DHAHA. MDR dining experience is our biggest family time on the ship sometimes. I will be alone most of the day and then have dinner by myself if I let them eat at Lido. Plus too much work for me-- I dont like to have to keep fetching things for them- more noodles- more juice, oops forgot butter, and the buffet sometimes bothers me with people licking their fingers and eating off their plate while in line:eek:

We go to the PG at least one night, Would not like to go every night, Has the same menu every night. We like late dining. With kids I know this would not be good. Bill

I was thinking same not sure if I want it every night although it is so hard choosing if we go just once :).

Thanks KK for posting the menu-- I think a minimum of x2-3 at PG and then we will make reservations with open seating.

I agree with other post- that this itinerary doesnt work well with fixed dining anyways so I dont need to be sad-- Juneau & skagway til 9-10 pm.

THis is excellent and would be great if I had DH with me :DHAHA. MDR dining experience is our biggest family time on the ship sometimes. I will be alone most of the day and then have dinner by myself if I let them eat at Lido. Plus too much work for me-- I dont like to have to keep fetching things for them- more noodles- more juice, oops forgot butter, and the buffet sometimes bothers me with people licking their fingers and eating off their plate while in line:eek: .

LOL... been there :p Ours is 11 and pretty self sufficient now (makes me happy and sad) but he took his first cruise at 6 so I got ya. :D

Archived